hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Precision Pro NX7

I've now used my unit two times and so far it seems to be very good. My existing magnetic holder (velcro strap) doesn't fit this unit like my last LRF as the 'shoot" button is covered. However, I can still press it through the strap and it works ok. I'll keep searching for a better design that exposes the button as I think it would work better/easier. I might consider taking the strap over to my workbench and punching a hole through the strap and see how that works. 

I'm still a little surprised that Precision Pro doesn't offer a strap made for their device. 

I noticed today that my battery is now down to 3/4 strength. Of course Precision Pro has a free battery replacement program I will take advantage of, but I have played over 700 holes of golf with this unit since I got it. That's pretty good life IMHO.

• Like 1

Another update. I played Saturday fairly early in the morning, there was a big fog that delayed our tee time. When it was clear enough to see 300yds we teed off. There was still a very very fine fog, just a little hazy. It took 3-4 holes for the air to completely clear up, in that very fine fog it would not pick up the flag. Have played in moderate rain with no problems, but fog, no good.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I noticed today that my battery is now down to 3/4 strength. Of course Precision Pro has a free battery replacement program I will take advantage of, but I have played over 700 holes of golf with this unit since I got it. That's pretty good life IMHO.

700!!??

40 minutes ago, robertson153 said:

Another update. I played Saturday fairly early in the morning, there was a big fog that delayed our tee time. When it was clear enough to see 300yds we teed off. There was still a very very fine fog, just a little hazy. It took 3-4 holes for the air to completely clear up, in that very fine fog it would not pick up the flag. Have played in moderate rain with no problems, but fog, no good.

Have you had a previous range finder that can cut through fog? Or is it a problem with all rangefinder?

Have you had a previous range finder that can cut through fog? Or is it a problem with all rangefinder?

Not sure if any LRF can shoot through fog or not. I just felt this should be added to my review. Anytime I find something good or bad with this unit, I’ll post it. You have to understand this was very minimal fog, no problem seeing 500yds with the naked eye.

Blake

I'm not surprised that it can't shoot through heavy fog as it would distort the laser. Same issue when I'm in the cart and shooting through the windscreen.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

10 hours ago, robertson153 said:

Not sure if any LRF can shoot through fog or not. I just felt this should be added to my review. Anytime I find something good or bad with this unit, I’ll post it. You have to understand this was very minimal fog, no problem seeing 500yds with the naked eye.

Blake

It would be interesting to do a test on this for different range finders.
What you have to bear in mind is that the human eye and brain are wonderful at constructing an image out of relatively little information, we interpret what we are seeing a lot of the time so even though you can see 500 yards, for there to be fog beyond that then there is still a fair density of water molecules in the air. What volume of fog is sufficient to disperse too much of the laser for it to be able to read accurately would be an interesting test.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GB13 said:

I have never seen a rangefinder that could shoot through fog. I remember last fall we were playing down at Founders Club in Pawleys Island. There were 5 groups of us. We were in the 4th group. Fog rolled in on 18 for us on our approach shots rather quickly. we could not see the pin much less attempt to shoot it. We rode up towards the green to see the position. I know the course pretty darn well as the former GM (one of my partners) did. We basically went off blind yardage and did ok. The group behind us never finished. I have tried both of mine in early morning fog on the range and neither one of them worked. We get some nasty fog off the ocean here

• Like 1

unless the flags have a light that they emit outwards (not a reflector) than I think this is impossible - from a design/physics standpoint.

If you think about how a LRF works then you might get lucky but with heavy fog you need to use a watch or app...

After 4 months of golf, around 70 rounds, my battery had dropped to 1/3. Got on PP website and ordered my FREE battery. Came in 4 days. Super easy, name, address, and model you have. I’ll never own anything but a PP from now on. IMG_1113.JPGIMG_1114.JPG

Blake

• Like 1

unless the flags have a light that they emit outwards (not a reflector) than I think this is impossible - from a design/physics standpoint.
If you think about how a LRF works then you might get lucky but with heavy fog you need to use a watch or app...

That happened to me this past week. We had a light drizzle and light fog. I could see the Pin from about 160 yds but it was tough to see. I tried using the NX7 Pro, but it didn't work. I don't think any LRF would have worked in those conditions. Another reason why I use it in tandem with my phone app.

• Like 2

thoroughly enjoying the PP NX7... continues to perform superbly.

that being said there is a frustration - blind shots....when all that you can see is the crest of the hill and you know that the fw continues down the hill but you're not sure how far it is to the hazard and if you should lay up short or carry....  nothing to be done about it and is an issue with all LRF and not just the NX7 but it can be frustrating; certainly worth running an app alongside as @tony@CIC suggests.

• Like 3

Update on the NX7 PRO. It has been almost flawlessly since I have had it. The only issue was one time it would not pickup the flag on one hole, never happened before or since. I gave up but it performed flawlessly again on the next hole. No idea what the issue was.

Then yesterday I noticed the battery was down to 1/4. Today I went on and filled out the form for the free battery replacement. 3 hours later, I received an email saying that a new battery had shipped.

Pretty awesome if you ask me.

• Like 3

Update on the NX7 PRO. It has been almost flawlessly since I have had it. The only issue was one time it would not pickup the flag on one hole, never happened before or since. I gave up but it performed flawlessly again on the next hole. No idea what the issue was.

Then yesterday I noticed the battery was down to 1/4. Today I went on and filled out the form for the free battery replacement. 3 hours later, I received an email saying that a new battery had shipped.

Glad it's working well for you. I did have an issue with my Pro version but they responded quickly and resolved the problem. I did notice that it uses a bit more battery compared to my cheapo unit. That could be due to the pulse technology but not a concern since I can get free batteries.

• Like 1

I ordered my battery last week and received it a few days later. for PP

Blake
  • Like 2

And the new battery was delivered by the weekend.

My old Bushnell died recently....gonna have to replace it with one of these

You won’t be disappointed

Blake
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, TBT said:

They're Pro version is on sale for $199. For that price how can you go wrong?. FYI disclaimer: I've owned the pro version for several months and love it. 

• Love 1