TESTERS WANTED! ×

Taylor Made GAPR Line..Sneak Peek

Shankster

Really interested to try the GAPR Lo and see how it is or isn't different from the P790 UDI

... I think you are going to see the GAPR Lo is much more similar to the TP UDi than the P790 UDi. I have a feeling the P790 UDi was virtually unknown outside of golf forums. I also guess the GAPR Lo has been in R&D for some time as the TP UDi replacement an even TM was a little surprised at how the P790 17* sold. Very few players want a thin looking 2 iron. Of course I also imagine they will release another 17* UDi 2 iron when they come out with their P790 replacements. Fwiw, I never saw a P790 UDi in any golf store but saw a lot of the TP UDi's. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

... I think you are going to see the GAPR Lo is much more similar to the TP UDi than the P790 UDi. I have a feeling the P790 UDi was virtually unknown outside of golf forums. I also guess the GAPR Lo has been in R&D for some time as the TP UDi replacement an even TM was a little surprised at how the P790 17* sold. Very few players want a thin looking 2 iron. Of course I also imagine they will release another 17* UDi 2 iron when they come out with their P790 replacements. Fwiw, I never saw a P790 UDi in any golf store but saw a lot of the TP UDi's. 

I would totally buy all of this. I also happen to be one of the players who likes a thin/not so chunky driving iron

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

I did get to see and hit one and I agree it wasn't any different than the regular p790 irons. Just had the graphite shaft. It was nice to hit but the 40 in length was a bit too much to handle.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

... Theoo, here is a comparison between the 19* P790 3 iron with a hy shaft, 20* TP UDi bent to 19* with the same shaft and my Cobra Utility set at 18*:

DI sole.jpg
DI face.jpg

DI toe.jpg

... Theoo, here is a comparison between the 19* P790 3 iron with a hy shaft, 20* TP UDi bent to 19* with the same shaft and my Cobra Utility set at 18*:

DI sole.jpg

DI face.jpg

DI toe.jpg

Nice, how do you like the cobra off the deck? I hit the TP udi when it came out and liked it a lot just never pull the trigger. Still kicking myself for that one.

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

... The Cobra is the most effective off the deck and it is the most versatile all round club. The TP UDi launches a little lower and is pretty good off the deck too with a mid trajectory, and finally the P70 3 iron is very similar with a slightly lower trajectory than the TP, but truthfully both TM clubs are pretty similar. 

Tommy Fleetwood with a GAPR 2 iron in the bag. Mark my words, when the “TW” irons hit the market and the “TW” wedges we see some past Nike staffers make the switch. And I bet Tommy is the first guy to do so.

Mike Taylor, now with Artisan Golf, is the former Nike Oven master club builder that was Tiger's go-to for irons and wedges. I'm not sure how long it would take to get wedges, much less if you even can get them as a regular Joe, from Artisan because the wedges are just for pros and close friends of Taylor. You want tiger's wedges or irons? Call Artisan...and good luck!

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Mike Taylor, now with Artisan Golf, is the former Nike Oven master club builder that was Tiger's go-to for irons and wedges. I'm not sure how long it would take to get wedges, much less if you even can get them as a regular Joe, from Artisan because the wedges are just for pros and close friends of Taylor. You want tiger's wedges or irons? Call Artisan...and good luck!

True, but Taylormade wants to capitalize on Tiger. There will be TW Irons and Wedges. It is only a matter of time. Might not be made by the oven, but they'll look just like them

True, but Taylormade wants to capitalize on Tiger. There will be TW Irons and Wedges. It is only a matter of time. Might not be made by the oven, but they'll look just like them

... Ya never know what OEM's are going to do, especially for what would be a loss leader for them. Slightly less than 3% of iron sales go to MB's. TM is trying to turn sales around so this would really not make financial sense. So the only reason to release TW irons would be brand promotion hoping people will see Tiger TW irons advertised and want to play a more forgiving TM iron because Tiger plays TM's. Wedges are a different story, since most are MB anyway so I think coming out with TW wedges makes a lot more sense than TW irons. But as I said, ya never know til ya know. :unsure:  

... Ya never know what OEM's are going to do, especially for what would be a loss leader for them. Slightly less than 3% of iron sales go to MB's. TM is trying to turn sales around so this would really not make financial sense. So the only reason to release TW irons would be brand promotion hoping people will see Tiger TW irons advertised and want to play a more forgiving TM iron because Tiger plays TM's. Wedges are a different story, since most are MB anyway so I think coming out with TW wedges makes a lot more sense than TW irons. But as I said, ya never know til ya know. :unsure:

I bet if they released TW MB irons, there would be loads of people who are less educated about what golf clubs are best for their game will to pay. They would line up and shell out big bucks just because it is what Tiger plays. There are so many dedicated TW fans that would play them no matter what. While I think MB's as a whole are a loss leader; TW MB's might draw a different market share than typical MB's.

TM's other option would be to release them as a limited edition collectors product and eliminate the "unplayable for most" factor. This would just capitalize the TW effect.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I bet if they released TW MB irons, there would be loads of people who are less educated about what golf clubs are best for their game will to pay. They would line up and shell out big bucks just because it is what Tiger plays. There are so many dedicated TW fans that would play them no matter what. While I think MB's as a whole are a loss leader; TW MB's might draw a different market share than typical MB's.

TM's other option would be to release them as a limited edition collectors product and eliminate the "unplayable for most" factor. This would just capitalize the TW effect.

... It didn't work for Nike when Tiger was a bigger draw and more associated as the brand ambassador. They lost money on TW blades. A limited Edition TW iron set would certainly seem to make sense as they might actually be able to break even with them, satisfy his most ardent fans and reap the most from Tiger as a brand ambassador. The bottom line is as much as people love to say they would buy MB's for any reason, they never open their wallets. There is a reason you don't see MB's on the shelves of many retail golf stores. They just don't sell. 97% of the market buy CB's, GI's and SGI's. If I am running a store, I am not stocking a 3% loss leader. 

... It didn't work for Nike when Tiger was a bigger draw and more associated as the brand ambassador. They lost money on TW blades. A limited Edition TW iron set would certainly seem to make sense as they might actually be able to break even with them, satisfy his most ardent fans and reap the most from Tiger as a brand ambassador. The bottom line is as much as people love to say they would buy MB's for any reason, they never open their wallets. There is a reason you don't see MB's on the shelves of many retail golf stores. They just don't sell. 97% of the market buy CB's, GI's and SGI's. If I am running a store, I am not stocking a 3% loss leader.

Yep. My golf galaxy doesn't even have a set of the p750s because they're so expensive. No way stores would want to sit on sets of 1300+ blades

It's really marketing 101. Find something (someone) that golfers adore, make a bunch and sell the snot out of them. Taylormade would be foolish not to capitalize on his name.

... I just don't think Tiger has much influence on club sales. Soft goods like shirts, shoes and hats? Absolutely. But hey Shanks, I could be wrong. We will just have to wait and see. 

... I just don't think Tiger has much influence on club sales. Soft goods like shirts, shoes and hats? Absolutely. But hey Shanks, I could be wrong. We will just have to wait and see.

Well I did just see a picture of DJ trying out the Ardmore...

I have to imagine their sales are up since he had been playing well. Maybe a slight bump, but it has to be up.

Archived