#16 GolfSpy Rob

GolfSpy Rob

AGENT NAME: FAIRHAVEN

• Members

• 5,957 posts
  • LocationDC Metro
  • Handicap:17

Posted 17 July 2018 - 10:45 PM

What’s interesting is that there’s a fitter near me who refuses to recommend anyone beyond pretty much Titleist Ping and Mizuno. To him, everyone else only sells “gimmick clubs” and he refuses to stock or fit anyone into them.

To the OP, in my limited experience a good fitter will try you in multiple OEMs to see which give you good numbers, then tweak from there.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

We had a local guy who was similar to that. Only PING, Titleist and Wilson as they were "American companies" and generally had a 18 to 24 month product cycle.

He did very well in a small rural community about an hour from DC and Baltimore as he was the only shoo in town.

:ping-small: 400 Max Hzrdus yellow 5.5      :titelist-small: 917 F2 18* Diamana Blue 65g    :titelist-small: 816 H1 23* Diamana Blue 70G    :ping-small: G400 4-W Nippon Modus 3 105 R Flex      :titelist-small: SM7 50.08, 54.08 and 58.12   :odyssey-small: EXO #7 35"  SuperStroke 3  OnCore ELIXR 

#17 fixyurdivot

fixyurdivot

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationBig Sky State
  • Handicap:14

Posted 18 July 2018 - 12:03 PM

I was just fitted last week and tested Ping, Mizuno, and TaylorMade.  He also had Callaway, but having just opened his store in June, still doesn't have that equipment complete. We started with the G400's only because I had hit them at a Ping Demo earlier this year.  But he recommended I hit other brands.

The club heads from Mizuno and TM he suggested, as comparable to the G400's, definitely felt different to me even with the same basic fitting parameters.  More importantly, they hit differently.  Before I buy a set of clubs, I'm going to buy a used (new) 6 or 7 iron to evaluate on courses.  LM data showed about a +10 yard gain in carry and total distance.  It also showed less dispersion - which is probably more important.  Seeing whether that translates into better scoring opportunities is my next step.

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 degree | GBB Warbird 3 Wood | Ping Eye 2 Green Dots 2-PW | MacGregor Nicklaus Supreme SW | Ping B61 Putter

#18 cohuck2018

cohuck2018

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSC
  • Handicap:11

Posted 18 July 2018 - 12:31 PM

Fitters are great but they are human too. That’s why it’s important to do the research up front and know approximately what club twice works best for you.

Chances are slim that he miss fit you but there is a high probability that you would fit very well into another brand’s similar specked club(s). I had a similar experience once and told the guy the one he was suggesting was out of my budget - we moved to a similar model from another OEM when he heard, “if we don’t there’s no sake.” I saved several hundred dollars making the switch and don’t believe that I sacrificed any quality.

Good luck

That was basically my issue but he kept telling me well that's the best and if you want top of the line and want your game to be where it's at you need the best of the best. When I went to a different establishment, funny it was a big box retailer, the guy there gave me every OEM comparable to each other and we hit them and found one in my price range that I actually hit better.

#19 cohuck2018

cohuck2018

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSC
  • Handicap:11

Posted 18 July 2018 - 12:35 PM

I also failed to mention that during my original fitting he did not have a launch monitor that I could see. He sat back and had his screen while I was hitting into the net but could never "see" the ball/data/numbers. When I suggested we go outside so I can actually see the flight he said that wasn't needed and he knew what would work best. It just disheartens me when I'm told that this one place is the place to go (was even on the Golf Digest Top 100 so they claim) and I get better service at a big box store.

#20 cnosil

cnosil

AGENT NAME: PLANO

• Members
  • 2,383 posts
  • LocationNewport News, VA
  • Handicap:7

Posted 18 July 2018 - 12:40 PM

. He sat back and had his screen while I was hitting into the net but could never "see" the ball/data/numbers. When I suggested we go outside so I can actually see the flight he said that wasn't needed and he knew what would work best. I.

Not showing you the data is the biggest red flag. Not showing you the data while hitting is not bad,, but not explaining what he is seeing especially when asked is a problem.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with Alta CD shaft (could be changing in near future)
Fairway: touredge.jpgXCG7 Beta 15* w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrid:  :titelist-small: 816h1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:  :wilson_staff_small:  C300 Forged with KBS Tour 120 shafts  4-GW 
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:    :taylormade-small:  TM-180

#21 cnosil

cnosil

AGENT NAME: PLANO

• Members
  • 2,383 posts
  • LocationNewport News, VA
  • Handicap:7

Posted 18 July 2018 - 12:46 PM

The club heads from Mizuno and TM he suggested, as comparable to the G400's, definitely felt different to me even with the same basic fitting parameters. More importantly, they hit differently..

Clubs will feel/sound different even when setup the same. What I have experienced in the most wanted testing is that most of the clubs will perform about the same but you may not have the exact same setup, sound, or feel due to how the head is designed and works. .

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with Alta CD shaft (could be changing in near future)
Fairway: touredge.jpgXCG7 Beta 15* w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrid:  :titelist-small: 816h1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:  :wilson_staff_small:  C300 Forged with KBS Tour 120 shafts  4-GW 
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:    :taylormade-small:  TM-180

#22 RickyBobby_PR

RickyBobby_PR

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members

• 609 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • Handicap:9.3

Posted 18 July 2018 - 02:53 PM

We had a local guy who was similar to that. Only PING, Titleist and Wilson as they were "American companies" and generally had a 18 to 24 month product cycle.

He did very well in a small rural community about an hour from DC and Baltimore as he was the only shoo in town.

Replace w/s with Mizuno as mentioned in another post and is there really any other brand 🤣

But seriously it’s a little disappointing when fitters have a hidden agenda.

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

#23 GB13

GB13

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Handicap:9

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:45 PM

I also failed to mention that during my original fitting he did not have a launch monitor that I could see. He sat back and had his screen while I was hitting into the net but could never "see" the ball/data/numbers. When I suggested we go outside so I can actually see the flight he said that wasn't needed and he knew what would work best. It just disheartens me when I'm told that this one place is the place to go (was even on the Golf Digest Top 100 so they claim) and I get better service at a big box store.

There is no problem in not showing the numbers while you are hitting. It removes your bias toward certain clubs. When I have a fitting I like not seeing the numbers. HOWEVER, once you hit all clubs and combinations you should sit down and look at the numbers with the fitter. He should then explain what you should go with and why. His "findings" should be backed up by the data. This should include distance, lateral dispersion, face impact, and spin. This is how a good fitting should work.
Taylormade Aeroburner 9.5* stiff
Taylormade Aeroburner 3W stiff
Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff
Titleist 710 AP1 4-GW stiff
Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff
Ping Sigma G B60

#24 McGolf

McGolf

JR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:09 AM

One of the first questions I ask in the fitting is - are you brand sensitive. meaning is there a brand you particularly want or do you care.

If the golfer likes or certainly wants a brand we don't carry we get on the computer and go over specs of the club brand of choice.

I have gone so far as to call another company we don't carry to order a set via the local rep so the player can get what they want.

It is impractical to carry every brand particularly in my area (rural).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      15 Aug
    Markelly82

Getting prepped for my annual friends golf outing in Muncie, IN. I haven't played in about 3 weeks so a little nervous. Headed to the range this evening.

• Photo
      14 Aug
    Waazzupppp

Really looking forward to hitting Gearhart Golf Links near Seaside, OR again in a few weeks. Had so much fun the first time there 2 years ago and can't wait to test myself from the Stones again!

View All Updates

Recent Topics

Our Sponsors