#1 WardenGolf

WardenGolf

BRAND NEW SPY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Handicap:14

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:05 PM

Hey guys, I’m looking to invest in a new putter. I have needed to get a new one for about a year now. I have been reading about counterbalanced putters, I have hit a few and I really enjoyed them. I always had a problem bringing the putter back a little, this helped a lot. Does anyone have experience with the counterbalance? If so was it good or bad? Do you believe in it?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
Rich

Irons: Srixon 565 (PW-9), 765 (8-7), 965 (6-5)
Driver: Ping G400 LST
Wedges: Cleveland 52, 56, 60, 64
Putter: Ray Cook
Hybrid: Srixon U45 23*

Glastonbury, CT

#2 Webz59

Webz59

SPY ANALYST

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationCalabash, NC
  • Handicap:11

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:36 PM

I have an Evnroll ER1 that’s 33” with a 385 gram head. I didn’t like the stock Winn 1.18 grip on it. The grip was 85 grams and the putter also comes with a 30 gram counterweight built in. I removed the grip and counterweight and put a Ping PP60 grip on (58 grams) and added an 80 gram counterweight. I love this combo and it has improved my putting tremendously. Here’s a link from Tom Wishon in the advantages of counter weighting. Good luck!
http://wishongolf.co...nter-weighting/

#3 fozcycle

fozcycle

AGENT NAME: FAIRHAVEN

• Members

• 6,600 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL USA
  • Handicap:18

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:38 PM

I have an Evnroll ER1 that’s 33” with a 385 gram head. I didn’t like the stock Winn 1.18 grip on it. The grip was 85 grams and the putter also comes with a 30 gram counterweight built in. I removed the grip and counterweight and put a Ping PP60 grip on (58 grams) and added an 80 gram counterweight. I love this combo and it has improved my putting tremendously. Here’s a link from Tom Wishon in the advantages of counter weighting. Good luck!
http://wishongolf.co...nter-weighting/

Hey Webz59, I have a ER6 that came with the 30 gram counterbalance because I too have a 33” shaft. When the Arccoss sensor would not work well due to the counterbalance, I called EVNRoll and purchased a new Evnroll grip that was a heavier material and did n9t need the extra weight. Now I am putting much better.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
Cobra Connect Bag: Cobra F8 Driver(10.5*) 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(18.5*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei ck Blue Regular; Cobra F8 3 Hybrid, 5 Hybrid & 6-PW, Gw(49*) SW(54*) LW(58*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin Cobra Connect grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Evnroll ER6 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).

Cobra Connect Challenge:  Driver: Cobra F8 with Mitsubishi Tensei ck Blue(regular) shaft  Fairways:  Cobra F8 3-4(set to 14.5*) and Cobra 5-6(set to 18.5*) with Mitsubishi Tensei ck Blue(regular) shafts Hybrids: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) and 5 Hybrid(25*) with UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES(regular) shafts  Irons: Cobra F8 6-PW, GW(49*), SW(54*), LW(58*) all with UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES(regular) shafts...all with Lamkin E.E.L. Cobra Connect grips with Arcoss Tracking Sensors Putter: Evnroll ER6 33"  Bag: Cobra Ultrlite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver)

Old Bag:  Driver: Wilson Staff Triton with Aldila Rogue regular shaft. Fairway: Cobra F6 3-4 & F6 Baffler 4-5 with Matrix Red Tie Regular shaft  Hybrids: Cobra Bio Cell 2-3 Hybrid with Bio Cell Regular shaft  Irons: Cobra F6 4 - SW w/Matrix Ozik regular graphite shaft Putter: EVNROLL E6 33" with Winn grip Bag: University of Kentucky Bucket Cooler Cart Bag from Team Effort Balls: Snell MTB, Wilson Duo. Glove: Bionic GPS: Garmin G6 Laser: MG Golf  Backup irons:  Ben Hogan Ptx 21*/25*/29*/33*/37*/41*/45* with Recoil 660 graphite shafts. Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 /49*/53*/57* with Recoil 660 graphite shafts Backup Putter: Bellum-Winmore 707 33" w/Pure Grip

#4 mpatrickriley

mpatrickriley

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members

• 507 posts
  • LocationWakefield, MI, USA
  • Handicap:15

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:06 PM

Here's an interesting article from the front page on this: https://mygolfspy.co...andard-putters/

As per MGS's data, I'm skeptical of a claim of massive performance benefits with counterbalancing. That said, different weight setups definitely change the feel of a stroke, and so it's certainly the case that a particular putter might feel better or worse for a particular player.

I'd put this more on the "mental" side of putting: it might not produce obvious measurable results, but if you feel better over a putt, that can't be a bad thing.

Callaway GBB Alpha 816 DBD, Fujikura Speeder Evolution II TS 665
Callaway X2 Hot Pro 4 wood, Aldila Tour Green 75
Adams Super S 3 hybrid, 19°

Reviewing: PING G700 4–GW, blue dot, Modus3 105 

Callaway MD3 54°

Callaway MD3 PM Grind 58°

Evnroll ER6, 34", black

#5 Shankster

Shankster

AGENT NAME: PHOENIX

• Members

• 8,086 posts
  • LocationAbove the 45th
  • Handicap:WX

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:22 PM

I tried a CB Scotty GoLo 5... never got to try it on grass, I loved the feel of it. Like swinging a smooth instrument. I probably would have loved it, but you know me... I got impatient for summer and sent it back with actually using it on grass, carpet putts only. Definitely slowed down my stroke and felt awesome, kept my wrist good and stout.

#6 txgolfjunkie

txgolfjunkie

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members

• 494 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX
  • Handicap:0.5

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:36 PM

For me, CB putters are great 5' and in but tough to get distance control down on anything over 30'.

I had a seemore CB, tank #7 and a tank 1W from Odyssey. It was easy to control on those knee knockers but I found myself really struggling with the lag.

I now just get putters with a head weight north of 360 grams at 35.5" in length and throw on grips less than 85 grams.

I'm also a certified head case on the greens... So there's that.

TaylorMade '17 M2 w/ Kyoshi Black 65X 
Cobra F7+ 3W 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75X tipped 1/2"

Cobra F8 19* Hybrid w/ Hzrdus Black 85 6.5

Bridgestone JCB15 4-PW irons w/ KBS C-Taper S+

Callaway MD Forged 52* w/ DG Tour S400

Callaway MD3 58* C Grind w/ DG Wedge Flex

Cobra Tour Trusty 62* w/ DG Wedge Flex

Odyssey O-Works W/B/W 1W

TM TP5X

All my clubs are lefty style...cause I thoroughly enjoy having limited options when buying golf equipment.

Instagram: @2_shanks

#7 GB13

GB13

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Handicap:9

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:43 PM

Counter balanced putters are great for short putts because they slow down your stroke. However for long putts they are so heavy that it makes it tough to control the distance. If you have a problem of getting quick in transition it might help you slow it down.

Personally, I am skeptical that the better short putts make up for the worse lag putts. I believe that they essentially cancel each other out and performs pretty much the same as a standard putter.
As is said, golf is played 90% between the ears and if it inspires confidence, it might help your putting.
Taylormade Aeroburner 9.5* stiff
Taylormade Aeroburner 3W stiff
Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff
Titleist 710 AP1 4-GW stiff
Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff
Ping Sigma G B60

#8 PlaidJacket

PlaidJacket

AGENT NAME: HUNTINGTON

• Members

• 3,854 posts
  • LocationW. Texas
  • Handicap:63

Posted 19 July 2018 - 11:09 PM

I have a counter balanced putter (edel) and putt just fine with it - short or long putts. Occasionally I'll get hold of someone else's putter and they usually feel very light to me. Too light in fact.

Putting is so weird anyway. I think you either have or you don't.

My  :wilson_staff_small:  bag currently includes:    TWGT 771CSI 4i - PW and TWGT PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

TM SLDR 14° D, TWGT 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Edel Willimette w/SuperStroke Slim

#9 Kenny B

Kenny B

AGENT NAME: PHOENIX

• Members

• 9,931 posts
  • LocationKennewick, WA
  • Handicap:8.5

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:10 AM

I love my Ping Sigma G Doon counterbalanced putter.  The head is 400g, but the grip weighs 130g.  No extra weights.  I had mine custom built to 34" because my old putter fit me at 32".  Taking my normal grip on the 15" grip puts the perfect amount of weight above my hands.  

#10 Will_Mac

Will_Mac

SPY ANALYST

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationClayton, NC
  • Handicap:1.9

Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:26 AM

Similar to others, I also had issues with longer putts. Shorter putts were money but my lag putting was so abysmal that I'd have likely quit the game if forced to only play such a putter.

Some friends have wielded them so darn well but for me it was like golf's version of being expected to instantly master a foreign language.

#11 bluesmandan76

bluesmandan76

SPY ANALYST

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:30 AM

The main advantage of counterbalancing is that it reduces “wristiness”. If you’re wristy give it a go. But if that isn’t your problem I don’t think it will help much.

I’m not wristy so to improve my putting i went the other way and installed a lightweight grip - swingweight is now D9 - and it has helped my feel i think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 cnosil

cnosil

AGENT NAME: PLANO

• Members
  • 2,383 posts
  • LocationNewport News, VA
  • Handicap:7

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:41 AM

To me it is a personal thing and for those that want a heavy head it probably helps to balance out the putter and make the head feel lighter. If you were a belly putter person having the weighting above your hands probably helps now that you can’t anchor.

Many companies counterbalance their grips either by simply making them heavier or having interchangeable weights and manufacturers are putting them on OTR putters.

I have tried counterbalancing before and for me it didn’t seem to accomplish a lot. I was just experimenting and have no real basis for what weight I needed. Started by taping nickels to my grip since they weigh 5 grams. I am considering an Edel fitting and they are big on counterbalancing but seem to be combining it with lighter heads.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with Alta CD shaft (could be changing in near future)
Fairway: touredge.jpgXCG7 Beta 15* w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrid:  :titelist-small: 816h1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:  :wilson_staff_small:  C300 Forged with KBS Tour 120 shafts  4-GW 
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:    :taylormade-small:  TM-180

#13 PAgolfer2017

PAgolfer2017

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA
  • Handicap:16

Posted 20 July 2018 - 12:35 PM

Hey guys, I’m looking to invest in a new putter. I have needed to get a new one for about a year now. I have been reading about counterbalanced putters, I have hit a few and I really enjoyed them. I always had a problem bringing the putter back a little, this helped a lot. Does anyone have experience with the counterbalance? If so was it good or bad? Do you believe in it?

I've gone through counterbalanced putters before. One of the best putters I ever owned was an Odyssey Works Versa Tank 7 CB putter. I've also had a O-Works Tank 7, and a CB Versa two ball fang. I like the heavier weight of a CB putter, but I've also gone to non counterbalanced putters and have a superstore grip with the countercore weight. I think a lot of it comes to preference. I never had a problem with longer putts but think it's more of what you prefer. 

Was your issue with taking the putter back because you opened the face? Or because you took it back too far?

Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS

Driver:  :ping-small: G400

Fairway:  :callaway-small: Epic 15*

Fairway:  :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF16 4-AW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX 3.0 55/10 & 60/9

Putter: EVNROLL ER2

Ball: Titleist AVX

#14 mcmarsico

mcmarsico

SPY ANALYST

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Handicap:5

Posted 26 July 2018 - 01:11 AM

I am actually testing the effects of counterbalancing (using a Superstroke Countercore grip) right now. I have two identical Envroll ER1s, one with the standard Evnroll grip and the other with a Superstroke Countercore Pistol GT 2.0 with 50 gram counterweight (closest to the shape of the Envroll grip). The reason for the test is my coach has gotten me to change my grip from left hand low to conventional in an attempt to keep my left elbow feeling closer to my body on followthrough. This is allowing me to release the putter head better instead of holding it off any blocking putts to the right (which was my miss with left hand low). I'm testing to see if having the counterbalanced weight above my hands allows me to get this feeling easier than with the standard Evnroll grip. So far, I'm not feeling much difference between the two, but it has only been a few rounds/practice sessions. I'll update you once I get more data and make a decision.    

Driver: Rogue Sub Zero, 9 degree (played at 10 degrees), with HZRDUS Black 6.0
3 Wood: XR 16, 15 degrees, with Atmos Tour Blue S
Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2, 19 degrees (played at 20 degrees) with Atmos Tour Blue X
Irons: Titleist T-MB 4 iron (23 degrees), Mizzuno MP-18 SC 5(26) and 6(30), Mizzuno MP-18 7(34), 8(38), and 9(42). Nippon Modus 120x.
Wedges: Vokey SM-6, 46(f), 50(f), 54(m), and 58(k). Nippon Modus 120x.
Putter: Evnroll ER-1

Right-handed
Atlanta, GA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      15 Aug
    Markelly82

Getting prepped for my annual friends golf outing in Muncie, IN. I haven't played in about 3 weeks so a little nervous. Headed to the range this evening.

• Photo
      14 Aug
    Waazzupppp

Really looking forward to hitting Gearhart Golf Links near Seaside, OR again in a few weeks. Had so much fun the first time there 2 years ago and can't wait to test myself from the Stones again!

View All Updates

Recent Topics

Our Sponsors