TESTERS WANTED! ×

Counterbalance? Did it help?

WardenGolf

Hey guys, I'm looking to invest in a new putter. I have needed to get a new one for about a year now. I have been reading about counterbalanced putters, I have hit a few and I really enjoyed them. I always had a problem bringing the putter back a little, this helped a lot. Does anyone have experience with the counterbalance? If so was it good or bad? Do you believe in it?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rich

Irons: Mizuno MPH-4 (4-PW)

Driver: Ping G400 LST

Wedges: Cleveland 52, 56, 62

Putter: Rife

Orlando, FL

I have an Evnroll ER1 that's 33” with a 385 gram head. I didn't like the stock Winn 1.18 grip on it. The grip was 85 grams and the putter also comes with a 30 gram counterweight built in. I removed the grip and counterweight and put a Ping PP60 grip on (58 grams) and added an 80 gram counterweight. I love this combo and it has improved my putting tremendously. Here's a link from Tom Wishon in the advantages of counter weighting. Good luck!

http://wishongolf.com/improve-your-putting-consistency-with-counter-weighting/

I have an Evnroll ER1 that's 33” with a 385 gram head. I didn't like the stock Winn 1.18 grip on it. The grip was 85 grams and the putter also comes with a 30 gram counterweight built in. I removed the grip and counterweight and put a Ping PP60 grip on (58 grams) and added an 80 gram counterweight. I love this combo and it has improved my putting tremendously. Here's a link from Tom Wishon in the advantages of counter weighting. Good luck!

http://wishongolf.com/improve-your-putting-consistency-with-counter-weighting/

Hey Webz59, I have a ER6 that came with the 30 gram counterbalance because I too have a 33” shaft. When the Arccoss sensor would not work well due to the counterbalance, I called EVNRoll and purchased a new Evnroll grip that was a heavier material and did n9t need the extra weight. Now I am putting much better.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Cobra Connect Bag: Cobra F8 Driver(10.5*) 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(18.5*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei ck Blue Regular; Cobra F8 3 Hybrid, 5 Hybrid & 6-PW, Gw(49*) SW(54*) LW(58*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin Cobra Connect grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Evnroll ER6 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Here's an interesting article from the front page on this: https://mygolfspy.com/mgs-labs-counterbalanced-putters-vs-standard-putters/

As per MGS's data, I'm skeptical of a claim of massive performance benefits with counterbalancing. That said, different weight setups definitely change the feel of a stroke, and so it's certainly the case that a particular putter might feel better or worse for a particular player.

I'd put this more on the "mental" side of putting: it might not produce obvious measurable results, but if you feel better over a putt, that can't be a bad thing.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I tried a CB Scotty GoLo 5... never got to try it on grass, I loved the feel of it. Like swinging a smooth instrument. I probably would have loved it, but you know me... I got impatient for summer and sent it back with actually using it on grass, carpet putts only. Definitely slowed down my stroke and felt awesome, kept my wrist good and stout.

For me, CB putters are great 5' and in but tough to get distance control down on anything over 30'.

I had a seemore CB, tank #7 and a tank 1W from Odyssey. It was easy to control on those knee knockers but I found myself really struggling with the lag.

I now just get putters with a head weight north of 360 grams at 35.5" in length and throw on grips less than 85 grams.

I'm also a certified head case on the greens... So there's that.

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Counter balanced putters are great for short putts because they slow down your stroke. However for long putts they are so heavy that it makes it tough to control the distance. If you have a problem of getting quick in transition it might help you slow it down.

Personally, I am skeptical that the better short putts make up for the worse lag putts. I believe that they essentially cancel each other out and performs pretty much the same as a standard putter.

As is said, golf is played 90% between the ears and if it inspires confidence, it might help your putting.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I have a counter balanced putter (edel) and putt just fine with it - short or long putts. Occasionally I'll get hold of someone else's putter and they usually feel very light to me. Too light in fact.

Putting is so weird anyway. I think you either have or you don't.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I love my Ping Sigma G Doon counterbalanced putter.  The head is 400g, but the grip weighs 130g.  No extra weights.  I had mine custom built to 34" because my old putter fit me at 32".  Taking my normal grip on the 15" grip puts the perfect amount of weight above my hands.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Similar to others, I also had issues with longer putts. Shorter putts were money but my lag putting was so abysmal that I'd have likely quit the game if forced to only play such a putter.

Some friends have wielded them so darn well but for me it was like golf's version of being expected to instantly master a foreign language.

The main advantage of counterbalancing is that it reduces “wristiness”. If you're wristy give it a go. But if that isn't your problem I don't think it will help much.

I'm not wristy so to improve my putting i went the other way and installed a lightweight grip - swingweight is now D9 - and it has helped my feel i think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2

To me it is a personal thing and for those that want a heavy head it probably helps to balance out the putter and make the head feel lighter. If you were a belly putter person having the weighting above your hands probably helps now that you can't anchor.

Many companies counterbalance their grips either by simply making them heavier or having interchangeable weights and manufacturers are putting them on OTR putters.

I have tried counterbalancing before and for me it didn't seem to accomplish a lot. I was just experimenting and have no real basis for what weight I needed. Started by taping nickels to my grip since they weigh 5 grams. I am considering an Edel fitting and they are big on counterbalancing but seem to be combining it with lighter heads.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Hey guys, I'm looking to invest in a new putter. I have needed to get a new one for about a year now. I have been reading about counterbalanced putters, I have hit a few and I really enjoyed them. I always had a problem bringing the putter back a little, this helped a lot. Does anyone have experience with the counterbalance? If so was it good or bad? Do you believe in it?

I've gone through counterbalanced putters before. One of the best putters I ever owned was an Odyssey Works Versa Tank 7 CB putter. I've also had a O-Works Tank 7, and a CB Versa two ball fang. I like the heavier weight of a CB putter, but I've also gone to non counterbalanced putters and have a superstore grip with the countercore weight. I think a lot of it comes to preference. I never had a problem with longer putts but think it's more of what you prefer. 

Was your issue with taking the putter back because you opened the face? Or because you took it back too far?

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

I am actually testing the effects of counterbalancing (using a Superstroke Countercore grip) right now. I have two identical Envroll ER1s, one with the standard Evnroll grip and the other with a Superstroke Countercore Pistol GT 2.0 with 50 gram counterweight (closest to the shape of the Envroll grip). The reason for the test is my coach has gotten me to change my grip from left hand low to conventional in an attempt to keep my left elbow feeling closer to my body on followthrough. This is allowing me to release the putter head better instead of holding it off any blocking putts to the right (which was my miss with left hand low). I'm testing to see if having the counterbalanced weight above my hands allows me to get this feeling easier than with the standard Evnroll grip. So far, I'm not feeling much difference between the two, but it has only been a few rounds/practice sessions. I'll update you once I get more data and make a decision.    

Driver: TS3, 9* (C1 setting, surefit cartridge in fade setting)

3/4 Wood: 917D2, 16.5 degrees (D1 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2, 19 degrees (C3 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-Iron (23 degrees); Mizuno MP-18 SC 5-iron(26) and 6-iron(30); Mizuno MP-18 7-iron(34), 8-iron(38), 9-iron(42), and P Wedge(46). Nippon Modus 120x shafts. 1 degree upright.

Wedges: Mizuno S-18 50, 54, and 58 degrees. 50 is 1 degree upright, 54 and 58 are standard lie. Nippon Modus 120x, soft stepped in the 54 and 58.

Putter: Evnroll ER1

Right-handed

Atlanta, GA

• 1 month later...

After a month, I must say that the feeling of a 50g counter weight is pretty subtle. I think it has smoothed out my stroke some, and has allowed me to more consistently release the putter head.

Driver: TS3, 9* (C1 setting, surefit cartridge in fade setting)

3/4 Wood: 917D2, 16.5 degrees (D1 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2, 19 degrees (C3 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-Iron (23 degrees); Mizuno MP-18 SC 5-iron(26) and 6-iron(30); Mizuno MP-18 7-iron(34), 8-iron(38), 9-iron(42), and P Wedge(46). Nippon Modus 120x shafts. 1 degree upright.

Wedges: Mizuno S-18 50, 54, and 58 degrees. 50 is 1 degree upright, 54 and 58 are standard lie. Nippon Modus 120x, soft stepped in the 54 and 58.

Putter: Evnroll ER1

Right-handed

Atlanta, GA

Nike made a great counterbalance putter that was adjustable. Feel was a little different because of the insert face, but it gave great customization to put the weight where you wanted it. Whether that be way at the top of the grip or bottom and where inbetween. I used it and really enjoyed it till I got my ping putter. However I still go back and practice with it at home.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I have always struggled with distance control and CB has not helped at all, especially with putts over 6ft. Keeping hands quite and smooth it will help, but if its short it doesn't matter.

ivan

Interesting subject, I just bought a Ping Sigma G Tine with the 662 counter balanced grip. I hit every put on astroturf, then played 2 tournaments  on real grass last week and 3 putted 8 times in 2 rounds due to leaving long putts short. This is going to be a project.

I would rather play 36 holes on Sunday than watch a minute of the NFL, keep up the protests fools!

Interesting subject, I just bought a Ping Sigma G Tine with the 662 counter balanced grip. I hit every put on astroturf, then played 2 tournaments on real grass last week and 3 putted 8 times in 2 rounds due to leaving long putts short. This is going to be a project.

Sheesh, that's rough. All of the AstroTurf at the shop is slanted toward the hole.😉

That is what I struggle with about CB putters. They are great from short range but speed control is tough. I think the gains generally net each other out to be equal.

Good luck on your project!

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I have played a lot of heavy putter / counterbalanced set-ups over the years and am generally a believer but as others have noted, distance control from long range was always my weak link. I played all last season with a Cleveland TFI Elevado CB (405g head/130g-or so grip) and putted the best I have done for a while, including from long range.

Came out this year after not playing for 4-5 months over the winter and just felt the total weight seemed really heavy so went back to a more standard weighted putter and have putted well but just put together a TM Mullen 2 with standard headweight but a 100g weight in the butt so counterbalanced but without extra weight in the head, so lighter swingweight more along Edel-type lines. So far I like it but it is early days and I also changed quite a few other things in the putter at the same time so it's not a controlled experiment.

TM M6 10.5*, Aldila 2KNV Green S     TM M6 5W, GD AD-DI7 S     Cleveland UHX 4i, Modus 105S     5-G Cobra F9 One, Modus 105S     Titleist Vokey SM7 54*F, Modus 125S     Nike Engage Toe Sweep 60*, DG S400     Cleveland Frontline Elevado

Interesting subject, I just bought a Ping Sigma G Tine with the 662 counter balanced grip. I hit every put on astroturf, then played 2 tournaments  on real grass last week and 3 putted 8 times in 2 rounds due to leaving long putts short. This is going to be a project.

I was fitted for a Ping Sigma G Doon with the CB grip last year.  I had to have it special made to a 34" length and green dot lie angle.  It has been the best putter I have ever used.  I have no issues from long range, certainly not any different than any other putter I've used.  

Since I can't know your putting setup and stroke, it difficult to say why you leave putts short.  It may take some time to get used to it.  I do spend several hours a week on the practice putting green working on path and distance control.  The more I do that, the better I putt.  If I take a break from practice, my putting becomes merely average.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Somewhat related: I see Superstroke sells a "weighted" grip which I imagine would give some of the benefits of a CB putter. Has anyone tried that grip and found it useful?

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I had previously used a counterbalanced Scotty X7M and just didn't get on with it, the problem with the Scotty was the weight was fixed with epoxy in the top of the shaft under the grip so changing was a real pain as you can imagine. It lasted a year on and off before I got rid permanently.

On the brighter side I purchased and installed a new Superstroke Mid Slim 2.0 counterbalanced pistol grip to my Ping Vault Voss last Friday and the change was outstanding.

Grip has a screw top and came with both a blanking cap (I.e. no extra weight) and a 50g counter weight. Tested with both the cap and weight screwed in and noticed my stroke was much more consistent with the weight in so would say there is a definite improvement (at least for me).

What i also like about the Superstroke is the ability to easily change the weight through the butt of the grip itself, being with a hex tool and a couple of twirls you can easily switch weights (without the hassle of having to pull the grip and get the burner on to remove the epoxy/weight).

Superstroke aren't the only company that sell counterbalanced grips, i do like the ability to change the weights easily without messing. Before purchasing the Superstroke I had looked at the tour lock system but postal/import charges to bring to the UK just made it too expensive an option to justify (postal only was same price as my new grip).

I'm playing a YES Stephanie Mid (400g) cut down to 32'' with a SuperStroke Slim 2.0 (64g) and a 75g counterweight.  I struggled last year with a shaky stroke and this combo has really smoothed it out.  It feels heavy, but the counterweight seems to add a nice balance.  I haven't putted this well in years.

Until 2 months back I was playing a counterbalanced blade but then I switched to an odyssey mallet for the first time in years (no counterbalance) and up to this point I'm liking my new putter a lot. I honestly can't say that the counterbalancing helped or hurt but I am putting better with my new model than I have in a long time.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

When I had my Mezzo built, my fitter counter balanced it. I had tried the Super Stroke CB grips in the past with not much success so when he suggested it would be a good option for me I was a bit reserved in having it done. We tried several weight combinations with blind testing over an hour until we found what worked for me. I've gone from a 2.6 putting average to 1.8 in 6 months. Though I've changed grip and stroke during this time I still credit all the changes to the fitted putter and the club head feeling I get through the CB setup.

<p><strong>Driver: </strong><em>Ping G400 Max 9*</em><em>, VTS silver S </em><strong>Fairway 5: </strong><em>Cobra F7, VTS silver S</em><strong>Hybrid 4: </strong><em>Ping G400, VTS silver S</em><strong>Irons 5-PW: </strong><em>Srixon Z765, Steelfiber i110cw</em><strong>Wedges:</strong> <em>Grindworks 50F/56F/60F 86 Series</em><strong>Putter: </strong><em>Evnroll ER2 CS</em><strong>Bag/ Buggy:</strong><em> Bagboy Hybrid Chiller/ Caddy Tek EZ Fold</em><strong>Ball: </strong><em>Q Star Tour</em>

Archived