TESTERS WANTED! ×

WHEN IS A "SET" STILL A SET?

A lot of us started playing with a real set.

Three or four matching woods, including the driver.

Eight, Nine, or Ten matching irons, even if they were a different model from the woods, although often not.

Maybe we'd have an odd sand wedge that didn't match or some utility like a "Ginty" or "Matzie Velvet Touch" chipper, but for the most part, it was a "golf set."

Look into a bag now, especially a senior's bag, and you see a kaleidoscope of different graphite shaft colors and clubheads of every description, including sometimes, non-descript.

Below is a concoction that could conceivably comprise my bag for my first attempt back on the course since back injury. I'm still at the hitting balls stage, which actually involves more immediate repetition than if I were actually playing.  I think that I'm close to giving it a try.

But is what you see below an actual "golf set," or is it just a bag of some of an old man's clubs?

Mixed Bag.png

Well if it is all in a bag I would call it a "set"---- I guess for a proper term it could be what a lot of us call a mixed bag----- I have always played a mixed bag even when I was on staff--- I have always believed in playing what is best for you and your game no matter the brand or year of the clubs---- Look at my signature and trust me that is tame for me only 6 different brands but notice different vintages--- Even the shafts in my irons yep they are 78 model Hogan Apex shafts---

Personally like your selection especially the Mac PCB Tours and that old school Penley shaft in the Titleist PT which is a great classic within itself. I myself am very fond of V-Steel fairways

Most of us seniors have been playing long enough to know what works and do not subscribe to the "latest and greatest " school. IMHO you have some great selections in that bag

LOL I usually game either an old Ping Hoofer bag and not a Ping club in it or my 10 year old Titleist Staff bag with no Titleist clubs in it unless I sneak one of my old Vokey 252 series wedges or my rusty Scotty Santa Fe in

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Yes it's a set. I don't remember the last time I saw a bag that had one OEM for all 14 clubs.

If the clubs are in your bag, then they're a set.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

As others have said what you have in the bag is your set.   Age, manufacturer, condition don't matter as long as you are happy with them. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Three knowledgeable respondents and nobody calling me crazy.

That's encouraging.

Heck no this ain't WRX and besides you are not crazy you are smart---- Like I said before you know what works for you and your game and that is very smart in my book

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Yes it's a set. I don't remember the last time I saw a bag that had one OEM for all 14 clubs.

er...ME... :o

OCD is a ****** sometimes... :blink:

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Three knowledgeable respondents and nobody calling me crazy.

That's encouraging.

That's because I haven't hopped in yet. I'm trying to recall, there may have been a brief period when I bagged an entire set of Ping Eye 2 clubs with a Ping Putter of some sort in the mid 80's but it certainly didn't last long - the putter, three wood and driver were NG for me.

Beyond that and my started set it's never happened and the starter set very quickly had a non-matching wedge and putter added in.

I'd almost say you're crazy if you have a so called matching set but in the end everyone needs to play what works best or perhaps what they enjoy the most.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Hey I didn't say it NEVER happens... ;)

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Al's Diner is a popular breakfast hangout located at the Whirlaway Driving Range, named after the early 1940s thoroughbred champion who was himself popular when the range first opened.

This morning I woke up unusually early, grabbed a quick omelet at Al's, and hit a few balls. A fellow geriatric let me take a couple of swings with his GX-7 (as seen on YouTube) driver.

I hit two balls as if I were thirty years old and the gentleman sold the club to me for fifty bucks.

I'm not in Manhattan or San Francisco.  That was more than I expected to spend on breakfast.

Hey if it works for you and you are happy so be it---- No problems from me

G

OK, a progress report. 

Some nice old guy who recently spent two hundred bucks on a GX7  sold it to me for fifty after breakfast yesterday.  It could turn out to be another Alien Ultimate, i.e., a snake oil infomercial club that actually works for me. With some mongrel proprietary shaft. 

It outperformed my 983K on the range.  Sample size very small, however.

Similarly, on the 5 to 9-iron front,

My 1997 Titleist DCI 962s seem to be outperforming my 2000 MacGregor Tourney PCB Tours by a slight margin.

The hits aren't much different, but the mis-hits seem to be a little fewer.  I think that it could be psychological--is stainless gray less scary than chrome?  Both are set a little flat and have Aldila NV Pro 105s, R-flex.

I'm still afraid to take the ol'  Zebra out onto the practice green. In my head, it will be bending over a putt--not ripping a full swing--that's likely to put me into the emergency room followed by another MRI followed by another epidural steroid shot with lots of oxycodone in between.

By the way, please tell me about these Evnroll putters that everybody seems to be talking about. The Zebra's only competition for consideration is a hickory shafted Tad Moore Chicopee and a green, uglier than the Zebra, Frankly Frog. I can't see myself buying a putter right now, but I am interested in the buzz.

Tiger just hit a monster 3-wood, by the way.

Al's Diner is a popular breakfast hangout located at the Whirlaway Driving Range, named after the early 1940s thoroughbred champion who was himself popular when the range first opened.

This morning I woke up unusually early, grabbed a quick omelet at Al's, and hit a few balls. A fellow geriatric let me take a couple of swings with his GX-7 (as seen on YouTube) driver.

I hit two balls as if I were thirty years old and the gentleman sold the club to me for fifty bucks.

I'm not in Manhattan or San Francisco. That was more than I expected to spend on breakfast.

Wow .. if that thing (as also seen on Golf Channel infomercials) continues to work that well for you .. that will be one great breakfast deal!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Hey, we don't judge around here. If it makes you feel your best on the course, rock it. The toughest course you play is the 8" between your ears. Why make it harder?

Personally, I've never played 13 clubs of the same brand (with matching bag, no less) until the CCC2. And I haven't played multiple woods of the same brand since I was in high school.

If I don't figure the driver out during the challenge, it will be out of the bag. And I don't see the hybrid lasting. It just looks like it's too closed to me. And I will probably go back to the SM 2.5 bag. The Cobra ultralight is a decent bag, but I miss the SM. Everything I need, and nothing that I don't.

I wish Cobra made a three iron in the F8's. I'm loving the four.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 4 weeks later...

look, the free agents sweep the majors this year, although Molinari is mostly TM still but interesting to see what he will play next season without a contract.

The moral of the story, play whatever works. BTW doesn't Langer play 4 different iron models in his bag?

Callaway XR 16 (10)
TaylorMade RBZ-2 3W (15)
TaylorMade RBZ-2 T5W (18.5)
Ping iE1 (4-W)

Bridgestone J15 (50)
Callaway MD2 (56/60)
Evnroll ER3

Archived