fixyurdivot

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationBig Sky State
  • Handicap:14

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:04 PM

Any forum members live in golf course communities?  We looked at a Del Webb Sun City Festival last winter and were pretty impressed with it.  The golf course was really nice as was the club house, rec center, etc. While we currently live in rural southwest Montana and truly love it here, we can eventually see ourselves moving into 55+ retirement community.  

I'd be interested in hearing from those who live in a golf course community, which one, and what you find to be the pluses and minuses.  Also from any who have looked into these developments and what you thought about them. 

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 degree | GBB Warbird 3 Wood | Ping Eye 2 Green Dots 2-PW | MacGregor Nicklaus Supreme SW | Ping B61 Putter

#2 PlaidJacket

PlaidJacket

AGENT NAME: HUNTINGTON

• Members

• 3,854 posts
  • LocationW. Texas
  • Handicap:63

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:22 PM

I've got an idea for you. Have you ever heard of Hot Springs Village in Arkansas? I've been there a couple of times for golf outings and the courses are great! I've played them all expect the one.. or two? Private courses and the executive course. But there are perhaps 9 others you can play anytime. They're all located within the village and within a mile or less from each other. Lot's of houses and real estate for sale. Very affordable too and nice quite frankly. I've given it some thought myself but nothing serious. But I'd certainly consider it I suppose. I met a guy once that lived and played there. I recall him saying he payed maybe $2000/yr and could play all the courses as much as he wanted. Not sure about a cart. I can't speak about actually living in ARK but seems it's worth a look.

http://hsvpoa.org/golf/courses/

My  :wilson_staff_small:  bag currently includes:    TWGT 771CSI 4i - PW and TWGT PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

TM SLDR 14° D, TWGT 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Edel Willimette w/SuperStroke Slim

#3 Rickp

Rickp

AGENT NAME: FT.WORTH

• Members

• 4,746 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida
  • Handicap:15

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:49 PM

We live in The Villages FL. which is a 55+ large community. Right now we have 13 Championship courses and 30+ Execs. and more bring planned. Golf carts are your second “car” as almost everything is cart accessible that includes doctors, hospital and restaurants. There are some downsides but I would never leave here.
If you want I can get you some information.
There’s quite a few cool places around.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand

Driver; Ping G

4 Hybrid; Tour Edge

Irons; Ping G400 4-GW

Wedges; 52*, 55* Cleveland CG15

Putter; Waaay too many to list

#4 revkev

revkev

AGENT NAME: CARLSBAD

• Members

• 10,781 posts
  • LocationSt Petersburg FL
  • Handicap:6.0

Posted 21 July 2018 - 12:12 AM

We live in The Villages FL. which is a 55+ large community. Right now we have 13 Championship courses and 30+ Execs. and more bring planned. Golf carts are your second “car” as almost everything is cart accessible that includes doctors, hospital and restaurants. There are some downsides but I would never leave here.

@Plaid I’ve played in hot springs - I had a friend with a time share there. It was great.

@Rick could you go into more detail on the downside because the Villages are on our list.

I’m five years away from retirement. We have the double whammy of finding a place that will be close by where Penny lands. My club has a nice community around it but the golf is too expense be at 485 per month. I have a nice retirement set aside - not that nice though. :(

Ping G30

SLDR 3HL (Up one)

SLDR S  22,26

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx   all number 8's with revkev logo

#5 fixyurdivot

fixyurdivot

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationBig Sky State

Posted 21 July 2018 - 12:14 AM

I have heard of The Villages as they do quite a bit of advertising.  That may be the largest golf centric community in the nation, maybe even anywhere on the planet?   

I've got an idea for you. Have you ever heard of Hot Springs Village in Arkansas? I've been there a couple of times for golf outings and the courses are great! I've played them all expect the one.. or two? Private courses and the executive course. But there are perhaps 9 others you can play anytime. They're all located within the village and within a mile or less from each other. Lot's of houses and real estate for sale. Very affordable too and nice quite frankly. I've given it some thought myself but nothing serious. But I'd certainly consider it I suppose. I met a guy once that lived and played there. I recall him saying he payed maybe $2000/yr and could play all the courses as much as he wanted. Not sure about a cart. I can't speak about actually living in ARK but seems it's worth a look.

http://hsvpoa.org/golf/courses/

Not heard of this place. Thanks.

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 degree | GBB Warbird 3 Wood | Ping Eye 2 Green Dots 2-PW | MacGregor Nicklaus Supreme SW | Ping B61 Putter

#6 tony@CIC

tony@CIC

• Members

• 4,011 posts
  • LocationCatawba Island, Ohio
  • Handicap:24

Posted 21 July 2018 - 12:18 AM

I have heard of The Villages as they do quite a bit of advertising. That may be the largest golf centric community in the nation, maybe even anywhere on the planet?

Not heard of this place. Thanks.

Saw an article a few weeks ago that it's the fastest growing community in the US.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small:  G20 Driver 12* 

:ping-small:  G400 Crossover 3 iron

:ping-small:  G30  Hybrids 19*, 22*, 26*

:ping-small:  G20 Irons 6-PW

:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*, 60*

:ping-small: Scottsdale putter

#7 Rickp

Rickp

• Members

• 4,746 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 12:35 AM

Saw an article a few weeks ago that it's the fastest growing community in the US.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

i think it is the largest growing in US. Lots of Babyboomers!

Rick

Left Hand

Driver; Ping G

4 Hybrid; Tour Edge

Irons; Ping G400 4-GW

#8 Rickp

Rickp

• Members

• 4,746 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 12:40 AM

@Plaid I’ve played in hot springs - I had a friend with a time share there. It was great.

@Rick could you go into more detail on the downside because the Villages are on our list.

I’m five years away from retirement. We have the double whammy of finding a place that will be close by where Penny lands. My club has a nice community around it but the golf is too expense be at 485 per month. I have a nice retirement set aside - not that nice though. :(

Costs are not that bad. Houses range from $175k to 1.5million. Everyone has the same amenities no matter what you spend on the home which is the nice part.
Our only big complaint is that the growth is possibly too big. But I think that comes from us coming from a more rural CT upbringing.
We really do love it here even though we complain but we’re seniors and we complain about everything!

Rick

Left Hand

Driver; Ping G

4 Hybrid; Tour Edge

Irons; Ping G400 4-GW

#9 fixyurdivot

fixyurdivot

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationBig Sky State

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:46 PM

I found this list of 55+ golf course communities while poking along the interwebz. I'll include anymore I come across for others who are considering this style of living.  

https://www.golfcour...nt-communities/

http://www.55communi...ommunities/golf

#10 Rickp

Rickp

• Members

• 4,746 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 12:15 AM

I found this list of 55+ golf course communities while poking along the interwebz. I'll include anymore I come across for others who are considering this style of living.

Interesting that I couldn’t find the largest golf/55+ community in the US on the lists.
Possibly they handle their own marketing/advertising.

Rick

Left Hand

Driver; Ping G

4 Hybrid; Tour Edge

Irons; Ping G400 4-GW

#11 Charli

Charli

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Handicap:8

Posted 22 July 2018 - 12:28 PM

Thats great you can go almost everywhere with a golf cart.

#12 Headhammer

Headhammer

JR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Handicap:18

Posted 22 July 2018 - 02:25 PM

Many on the 1st list are not +55 Retirement Communities, but rather resort/retirement communities. There's a major distinction because most +55 communities limit rentals, outside play & use of their amenities. I live in a resort/retirement community and we get tons of off the street use, rentals, noise, obnoxious behavior, etc., that is not tolerated in the +55 places.

Driver: Callaway 460 Stiff/44"/9*

Irons: Original King Cobra 4-Sw/Stiff

Play Righty/Ambidextrous Putter

HCP:18

#13 fixyurdivot

fixyurdivot

SR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationBig Sky State

Posted 25 July 2018 - 12:04 AM

Many on the 1st list are not +55 Retirement Communities, but rather resort/retirement communities. There's a major distinction because most +55 communities limit rentals, outside play & use of their amenities. I live in a resort/retirement community and we get tons of off the street use, rentals, noise, obnoxious behavior, etc., that is not tolerated in the +55 places.

Great point.  We've had our fill of obnoxious, inconsiderate neighbors.  The pro's outweigh the con's so for us it will be a 55+ retirement community with strict rules. I should have mentioned that being in or within earshot of the Rocky Mountain West is the region we'll consider.  Combine that with not wanting to live in CA, OR, or WA, and that really limits things a bit. 

#14 Rickp

Rickp

• Members

• 4,746 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 02:12 AM

Great point. We've had our fill of obnoxious, inconsiderate neighbors. The pro's outweigh the con's so for us it will be a 55+ retirement community with strict rules. I should have mentioned that being in or within earshot of the Rocky Mountain West is the region we'll consider. Combine that with not wanting to live in CA, OR, or WA, and that really limits things a bit.

theres a 55+ community in CO that a friend of mine lived in until his way too early death. I don’t rent the name but I’ll try and get it for you.

Rick

Left Hand

Driver; Ping G

4 Hybrid; Tour Edge

Irons; Ping G400 4-GW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      15 Aug
    Markelly82

Getting prepped for my annual friends golf outing in Muncie, IN. I haven't played in about 3 weeks so a little nervous. Headed to the range this evening.

• Photo
      14 Aug
    Waazzupppp

Really looking forward to hitting Gearhart Golf Links near Seaside, OR again in a few weeks. Had so much fun the first time there 2 years ago and can't wait to test myself from the Stones again!

View All Updates

Recent Topics

Our Sponsors