TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf Course Communities

fixyurdivot

Any forum members live in golf course communities?  We looked at a Del Webb Sun City Festival last winter and were pretty impressed with it.  The golf course was really nice as was the club house, rec center, etc. While we currently live in rural southwest Montana and truly love it here, we can eventually see ourselves moving into 55+ retirement community.  

I'd be interested in hearing from those who live in a golf course community, which one, and what you find to be the pluses and minuses.  Also from any who have looked into these developments and what you thought about them. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I've got an idea for you. Have you ever heard of Hot Springs Village in Arkansas? I've been there a couple of times for golf outings and the courses are great! I've played them all expect the one.. or two? Private courses and the executive course. But there are perhaps 9 others you can play anytime. They're all located within the village and within a mile or less from each other. Lot's of houses and real estate for sale. Very affordable too and nice quite frankly. I've given it some thought myself but nothing serious. But I'd certainly consider it I suppose. I met a guy once that lived and played there. I recall him saying he payed maybe $2000/yr and could play all the courses as much as he wanted. Not sure about a cart. I can't speak about actually living in ARK but seems it's worth a look.

http://hsvpoa.org/golf/courses/

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

We live in The Villages FL. which is a 55+ large community. Right now we have 13 Championship courses and 30+ Execs. and more bring planned. Golf carts are your second “car” as almost everything is cart accessible that includes doctors, hospital and restaurants. There are some downsides but I would never leave here.

If you want I can get you some information.

There's quite a few cool places around.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

We live in The Villages FL. which is a 55+ large community. Right now we have 13 Championship courses and 30+ Execs. and more bring planned. Golf carts are your second “car” as almost everything is cart accessible that includes doctors, hospital and restaurants. There are some downsides but I would never leave here.

@Plaid I've played in hot springs - I had a friend with a time share there. It was great.

@Rick could you go into more detail on the downside because the Villages are on our list.

I'm five years away from retirement. We have the double whammy of finding a place that will be close by where Penny lands. My club has a nice community around it but the golf is too expense be at 485 per month. I have a nice retirement set aside - not that nice though. :(

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have heard of The Villages as they do quite a bit of advertising.  That may be the largest golf centric community in the nation, maybe even anywhere on the planet?   

I've got an idea for you. Have you ever heard of Hot Springs Village in Arkansas? I've been there a couple of times for golf outings and the courses are great! I've played them all expect the one.. or two? Private courses and the executive course. But there are perhaps 9 others you can play anytime. They're all located within the village and within a mile or less from each other. Lot's of houses and real estate for sale. Very affordable too and nice quite frankly. I've given it some thought myself but nothing serious. But I'd certainly consider it I suppose. I met a guy once that lived and played there. I recall him saying he payed maybe $2000/yr and could play all the courses as much as he wanted. Not sure about a cart. I can't speak about actually living in ARK but seems it's worth a look.

http://hsvpoa.org/golf/courses/

Not heard of this place. Thanks.

I have heard of The Villages as they do quite a bit of advertising. That may be the largest golf centric community in the nation, maybe even anywhere on the planet?

Not heard of this place. Thanks.

Saw an article a few weeks ago that it's the fastest growing community in the US.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Saw an article a few weeks ago that it's the fastest growing community in the US.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

i think it is the largest growing in US. Lots of Babyboomers!

Rick

Left Hand, 

@Plaid I've played in hot springs - I had a friend with a time share there. It was great.

@Rick could you go into more detail on the downside because the Villages are on our list.

I'm five years away from retirement. We have the double whammy of finding a place that will be close by where Penny lands. My club has a nice community around it but the golf is too expense be at 485 per month. I have a nice retirement set aside - not that nice though. :(

Costs are not that bad. Houses range from $175k to 1.5million. Everyone has the same amenities no matter what you spend on the home which is the nice part.

Our only big complaint is that the growth is possibly too big. But I think that comes from us coming from a more rural CT upbringing.

We really do love it here even though we complain but we're seniors and we complain about everything!

Rick

Left Hand, 

I found this list of 55+ golf course communities while poking along the interwebz. I'll include anymore I come across for others who are considering this style of living.  

https://www.golfcoursehome.com/community-amenities/retirement-communities/

http://www.55communityguide.com/guide/55-communities/golf

I found this list of 55+ golf course communities while poking along the interwebz. I'll include anymore I come across for others who are considering this style of living.

Interesting that I couldn't find the largest golf/55+ community in the US on the lists.

Possibly they handle their own marketing/advertising.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Many on the 1st list are not +55 Retirement Communities, but rather resort/retirement communities. There's a major distinction because most +55 communities limit rentals, outside play & use of their amenities. I live in a resort/retirement community and we get tons of off the street use, rentals, noise, obnoxious behavior, etc., that is not tolerated in the +55 places.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Many on the 1st list are not +55 Retirement Communities, but rather resort/retirement communities. There's a major distinction because most +55 communities limit rentals, outside play & use of their amenities. I live in a resort/retirement community and we get tons of off the street use, rentals, noise, obnoxious behavior, etc., that is not tolerated in the +55 places.

Great point.  We've had our fill of obnoxious, inconsiderate neighbors.  The pro's outweigh the con's so for us it will be a 55+ retirement community with strict rules. I should have mentioned that being in or within earshot of the Rocky Mountain West is the region we'll consider.  Combine that with not wanting to live in CA, OR, or WA, and that really limits things a bit. 

Great point. We've had our fill of obnoxious, inconsiderate neighbors. The pro's outweigh the con's so for us it will be a 55+ retirement community with strict rules. I should have mentioned that being in or within earshot of the Rocky Mountain West is the region we'll consider. Combine that with not wanting to live in CA, OR, or WA, and that really limits things a bit.

theres a 55+ community in CO that a friend of mine lived in until his way too early death. I don't rent the name but I'll try and get it for you.

Rick

Left Hand, 

• 2 months later...
On 7/24/2018 at 8:12 PM, Rickp said:

theres a 55+ community in CO that a friend of mine lived in until his way too early death. I don't rent the name but I'll try and get it for you.

@Rickp I am interested in the name of that community if your still can get it, thanks.

We plan to have a look at the Del Webb Dove Mountain and Trilogy Wickenburg Ranch communities while in AZ this coming season.  A couple here in the valley that just sold their motel are having a home built at WR.  They went last year for a stay free and listen to our sales pitch package, and ended up writing a check for a lot.  Lots of pluses and minuses when considering these HOA, age restricted communities.  I was hoping for some more input/discussion from the forum on this subject, but I guess either not many live in these communities, or want to keep their population and demand on tee times in check 😄.

6 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

@Rickp I am interested in the name of that community if your still can get it, thanks.

We plan to have a look at the Del Webb Dove Mountain and Trilogy Wickenburg Ranch communities while in AZ this coming season.  A couple here in the valley that just sold their motel are having a home built at WR.  They went last year for a stay free and listen to our sales pitch package, and ended up writing a check for a lot.  Lots of pluses and minuses when considering these HOA, age restricted communities.  I was hoping for some more input/discussion from the forum on this subject, but I guess either not many live in these communities, or want to keep their population and demand on tee times in check 😄.

When are you going to be in AZ and where?  My wife and I will be playing around Phoenix the last two weeks in January.  Maybe we could meet up somewhere.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

5 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

When are you going to be in AZ and where?  My wife and I will be playing around Phoenix the last two weeks in January.  Maybe we could meet up somewhere.

Our plans are to be in Yuma around 11/20.  Keep me updated on your travels and we'll try and do that.

Sierra Vista, AZ and Winterhaven.  Some houses on the golf course, some not (mine is not).  It is a 55 and over community, two pools, Recreation centers and is within golf cart ride of the golf course.  Houses from 2 bedrooms and up, prices from $160,000 to $400,00.  Pueblo Del Sol is the country club that is adjacent to the community.  I think that there are around 600 units in the housing area.  We have lived in Sierra Vista for a while, and are just moving to Winterhaven now from another 55 and over area...primarily to be nearer the golf couse.

M2 Driver Fujikura Regular Flex

Mizuno 921 Tour Irons-- Titleist Wedges

A new Sik Armlock putter

[mention=69092]Rickp[/mention] I am interested in the name of that community if your still can get it, thanks.
We plan to have a look at the Del Webb Dove Mountain and Trilogy Wickenburg Ranch communities while in AZ this coming season.  A couple here in the valley that just sold their motel are having a home built at WR.  They went last year for a stay free and listen to our sales pitch package, and ended up writing a check for a lot.  Lots of pluses and minuses when considering these HOA, age restricted communities.  I was hoping for some more input/discussion from the forum on this subject, but I guess either not many live in these communities, or want to keep their population and demand on tee times in check .

I tried to get the name of the community but to no avail. His wife moved in with the daughter and I cannot get any info. It’s also sensitive situation so I’m not pushing it.

Rick

Left Hand, 

11 minutes ago, Rickp said:

I tried to get the name of the community but to no avail. His wife moved in with the daughter and I cannot get any info. It’s also sensitive situation so I’m not pushing it.

Understand, thanks for checking.

• 3 months later...

We're heading to Tuscon today to check out the area and a few planned communities.  Del Webb Dove Mountain, SaddleBrook Ranch, Quail Creek, and a couple others time permitting.  Anyone current or former residents of the Tuscon area that can offer some intel? I suggested to my wife that playing the courses would be an important test - my clubs will be locked in the shed until we get back. 🤣

I know your comment was tongue in cheek but I'd certainly play a course where I was considering moving or purchasing property. But perhaps that will come later as it seems your only on a scoping mission this time.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Archived