TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ping Glide Forged First Impressions

goaliewales14

Today I had the opportunity to try the new Ping Glide Forged wedge.  I was hitting of driving range mat and chipping/pitching onto a green.  The only wedge there was a 56* with 10* of bounce.  I currently play the Glide 2.0 WS wedges in a 56* and 60*, so I put my 56* head-to-head against this one. (Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get pictures to share with everyone.)

First impression:  These wedges look amazing!  I saw the pictures, but until you see them up close the pictures just don't do them justice.  The pattern on the back of the clubs looks very similar to the putter faces.  Such a great looking wedge and with them being forged, I couldn't wait to take them out to hit!

Full shot: The feel of these wedges are amazing!  Probably the softest wedge I've ever hit.  I would say the flight of the ball was a little lower than the Glide 2.0 wedge, which I would expect because there appears to be more weight in the sole of the Glide 2.0 than the Glide Forged.  I definitely don't think spin was sacrificed at all.  Based on how the balls were reacting when they hit, I would say the Glide Forged had more spin on them.

Pitching/Chipping:  I was using my own balls for this portion, Srixon Z-Star.  I was getting the same great feel as I was on the range.  The feel was just continuing to blow me away!  I was seeing the same things in terms of flight and spin as the full shots compared to my Glide 2.0.  Shots were coming in lower with tons of spin.  You definitely won't have an issue stopping your shots on the green.  The big test for me was to see how the Glide Forged would cut through thick rough.  This is the test that won me over with the Glide 2.0 over any other wedges.  For the test, I would bury the ball into the thick grass and try to chip it 5 yards or less onto the green.  (Basically testing the worst possible situation you would find a ball in around the green.)  This is where I felt like the Glide Forged feel short.  It had the same performance as a Vokey or Cleveland RTX, but I was expecting similar performance to my Glide 2.0.   

Final Thoughts:  Ping has made great products in the past and this is no different.  The feel is second to none that I've ever hit in terms of wedges.  I do have concerns around thick rough, but I would have to do more testing to see if it actually is a problem.  I do wonder if Ping it trying to have 2 sets of wedges much like Cleveland.  The Glide Forged for the "better player" and the Glide 2.0 for everyone else.  It was interesting that the Glide Forged will only be available in 1 bounce/sole option for each wedge.  I would hope that we will see more options later on down the road.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

Nice review; thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Today I had the opportunity to try the new Ping Glide Forged wedge. I was hitting of driving range mat and chipping/pitching onto a green. The only wedge there was a 56* with 10* of bounce. I currently play the Glide 2.0 WS wedges in a 56* and 60*, so I put my 56* head-to-head against this one. (Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get pictures to share with everyone.)

First impression: These wedges look amazing! I saw the pictures, but until you see them up close the pictures just don't do them justice. The pattern on the back of the clubs looks very similar to the putter faces. Such a great looking wedge and with them being forged, I couldn't wait to take them out to hit!

Full shot: The feel of these wedges are amazing! Probably the softest wedge I've ever hit. I would say the flight of the ball was a little lower than the Glide 2.0 wedge, which I would expect because there appears to be more weight in the sole of the Glide 2.0 than the Glide Forged. I definitely don't think spin was sacrificed at all. Based on how the balls were reacting when they hit, I would say the Glide Forged had more spin on them.

Pitching/Chipping: I was using my own balls for this portion, Srixon Z-Star. I was getting the same great feel as I was on the range. The feel was just continuing to blow me away! I was seeing the same things in terms of flight and spin as the full shots compared to my Glide 2.0. Shots were coming in lower with tons of spin. You definitely won't have an issue stopping your shots on the green. The big test for me was to see how the Glide Forged would cut through thick rough. This is the test that won me over with the Glide 2.0 over any other wedges. For the test, I would bury the ball into the thick grass and try to chip it 5 yards or less onto the green. (Basically testing the worst possible situation you would find a ball in around the green.) This is where I felt like the Glide Forged feel short. It had the same performance as a Vokey or Cleveland RTX, but I was expecting similar performance to my Glide 2.0.

Final Thoughts: Ping has made great products in the past and this is no different. The feel is second to none that I've ever hit in terms of wedges. I do have concerns around thick rough, but I would have to do more testing to see if it actually is a problem. I do wonder if Ping it trying to have 2 sets of wedges much like Cleveland. The Glide Forged for the "better player" and the Glide 2.0 for everyone else. It was interesting that the Glide Forged will only be available in 1 bounce/sole option for each wedge. I would hope that we will see more options later on down the road.

Great review!

Sent from my SM-G935T using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylormade M1 2017 Driver 9.5 - Aldilla Rogue Silver shaft - Stiff

Titleist 913f 3 wood - Stiff
Cobra King Utility 2/3 iron - 18 degree, Stiff AMT S300 shaft

Callaway Razr X Black 4-PW - Uniflex shaft (too much flex!)

Mizuno S5 Blue Wedges - 50*,54*,58*

Ping Anser 2 Putter - Super Stroke Flatso 3.0 Grip 

Right Handed

Washougal, WA

Handicap - 4.6

Archived