TESTERS WANTED! ×

What's The Problem?

Just this morning I read another post where a guy is complaining about his putting. He's searching for - a cure - a putter - a fix - anything! This is a constant and recurring topic. Is putting really that hard?  If so; why? Putting only requires that you make a very short stroke at the ball. You generally have a perfect lie and the distance of the shot is rather short when compared to every other stroke you make on a hole. You may even pick up the ball; clean it and line it up if you like. Additionally, there are no obstacles or hazards, trees, brush, creeks, ponds, or sand bunkers you must avoid. It's all in your favor.

So today I ask you.... What's the problem?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heh, good question and well stated! In the imortal words from my favorite (old) show from across the pond...

How hard indeed! I think many of us (yours truly included) tend to overcomplicate the situation and "mind-screw" ourselves to death more often than not...

You're right: perfect lie, short distances, no hazards, etc... I just wish the hole was bigger... ;)

thBPXC0IC4.jpg

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

If I was to guess if they have a lot of issues with putting they would struggle with all the finesse parts of the game ie chipping and pitching. Now I am just guessing because when I am putting really bad these parts of my game seem to struggle as well. Now I am not a good putter I very rarely 1 putt, so this last year I have worked on making that first putt be close and not have a 6 foot putt back. Another thing that isn't helpful is public courses green aren't very consistent with speed. Two of the courses I play at regularly of you practice putting on their putting green it will kill you because it's so different. This is just my two cents though, I am very much not a pro. Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2020 TESTER Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Utility Iron

Driver:     - Anser - 8.5* - Fujikara Red Blur 005 XStiff - Standard L/L

3W:     - SQ Sumo - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Stiff - Standard L/L

Hybrid 3:     - Machspeed - UST Mamiya AXIVCore XStiff -Standard L/L

Irons:      - Idea Black CB3  4-GW - KBS Tour Stiff+ - Standard L/L

Wedges:    - Vokey 52*, 54*, 60* - True Temper Wedge - Standard L/L

Putter:     - Versa Blade - 35in

Ball:      NXT Tour

Bag:  - Ultra Light Cart Bag  

Loc: USA/MD

Handicap: 13

this is the post ... https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/24711-tiger-made-the-switchmaybe-i-should/?p=441905

I'm the one that posted it....I'm not afraid to admit it.  Not sure why Plaid is calling me out here but I will explain.

I play 9 in a weekly best ball league.  

I have anywhere between 15 and 20 minutes to warm up before the round.

I hit about 20 balls to loosen up... putt for the rest of the time... hit a couple chips and I'm off.

If you've ever played best ball you know that you don't have to be a great putter to score well....all 4 guys get a chance to hit the same putt.

I play 18 about every 10-14 days... I try to show up about 1 hour before my tee time and loosen up ... just like I describe above.

I go to the range every Friday between 11:30 and 1 during my lunch break.  it's about 7 minutes down the street from me next to a busy main street with grocery stores, coffee shops, fast food, etc all around it.  The range isn't big and doesn't have a putting green so I go and hit balls and work on my swing.

The next closest range with a putting green is around 20-30 minutes away and since this is my lunch break that's not an option.

I might get a chance to go to a putting green on the weekend but I'm usually doing family stuff.

My backyard is approximately 27.5 yards long by 15 yards wide (thanks NX7 Pro!)

I stick 2 driveway markers in the ground and spend anywhere from 30 minutes to 1+ hour practicing chipping every day that it isn't raining.

I have a felt indoor putting green that I use in my basement each day but that's not even close to real life.

This means I practice everything except putting fairly regularly....because that's what I am able to do.

I don't belong to a golf club... I wish I did but the time and money for it is just not there right now.

I typically shoot between 80 and 85.  

I don't really count my putts but it's probably anywhere from 34 on up.... if I can get that down to 30/31 then I'd be able to break 80 and accomplish a goal that I've been working towards for a long time.

I know that I need to practice putting more and I need to find a way....but I also want to use a putter that's as forgiving as possible and that I can stand to look at (no offense to the ER9 but that's just not my style).

So - if you're wondering - yes, I can chip pretty good....yes, the other parts of my game are pretty good too....and yes, I can always improve.

What's the problem?

I'm not a member at a club with all the time in the world to get out and putt for 2 hours every night; if I was then I wouldn't have created the thread.

I want to be a better putter and would like to have a wand that is as forgiving and usable as possible (and before you ask - yes, I've had a putter fitting and it was bullcrap...)

I don't always strike the ball in the center of the club face (gasp!) and if I hit it on the heel or toe then I don't want to lose too much distance and have a reasonable 2nd putt.

I don't have a "pro" and am looking for some advice... NOT help.  If I wanted help I'd go to my "local PGA professional" ... just like the Golf Channel (and revkev) suggest.  

Any other questions feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to take it off line so everybody else isn't subjected to my ranting and raving....

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Can be lots of reason that people complain about putting.  

1.  It is fairly easy to do, short stroke as you say but they don't seem to go in the hole.   Was the stroke bad or were the expectations too high?

2.  Greens are not consistent from week to week,  course to course, and sometimes hole to told.  

3.  People don't know how to practice putting; especially if they can't be on a putting green.

4.  Most instructors don't know how to teach putting

5.  It is more that stroking the ball,  it is the only shot in golf that is primarily influenced by the ground

6.  People expect bad breaks on the course but not on the green

7.  Unlike pros that hit the ball 300+  1* of error isn't very penal to most golfers.   1* of error on the putting green is the same for everyone. 

8,.  When being fitted,  we fit full swing clubs to the player and his tendencies.  With putters we adjust players to fit the putter.  

9.  There is lots of incorrect information that is taken as fact about putting.  

10.  People believe that a putter that looks good will make more putts, even players that believe full swing clubs should be fit.  

11.  People overthink putting.

12. People that are "good" putters don't think putting is hard and can't understand people that struggle with putting and want help.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I think what it boils down to is practice, mentality, having a putter that jives with the golfer and lack of consistency from one course to another for those of us who aren't members of one course for whatever reason.

I haven't been out much this summer, but the two times I was able to go out, the closer I got to the green my lack of play/practice time showed. I'm not a good putter when I'm playing regularly, but I probably hit 40 putts each round.

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

1. It is fairly easy to do, short stroke as you say but they don't seem to go in the hole. Was the stroke bad or were the expectations too high?

2. Greens are not consistent from week to week, course to course, and sometimes hole to told.

3. People don't know how to practice putting; especially if they can't be on a putting green.

4. Most instructors don't know how to teach putting

5. It is more that stroking the ball, it is the only shot in golf that is primarily influenced by the ground

6. People expect bad breaks on the course but not on the green

7. Unlike pros that hit the ball 300+ 1* of error isn't very penal to most golfers. 1* of error on the putting green is the same for everyone.

8,. When being fitted, we fit full swing clubs to the player and his tendencies. With putters we adjust players to fit the putter.

9. There is lots of incorrect information that is taken as fact about putting.

10. People believe that a putter that looks good will make more putts, even players that believe full swing clubs should be fit.

11. People overthink putting.

12. People that are "good" putters don't think putting is hard and can't understand people that struggle with putting and want help.

To piggyback on your that great list, for number 12 I'd say your bang on. I average 37 putts a round which is not great. I bought Pelz's putting book which helped a bit, but when I ask good putters how they do it, they're typical response is that it's "easy. You just have to putt with confidence." That explanation helps no one. This is why very few great players make great coaches: they can do it well without knowing exactly why they do it well.

I took a putting lesson last week, and I'll be practicing based on it, but the putting green I usually go to is slow and fairly flat. It doesn't help with my pacing, and it doesn't help with my ability to read greens. The only alternative is to spend more time driving to a better one that's twice as far away.

Anyway, I'm not complaining about my putting. I get what I deserve most days. Just trying to add to the explanation of why it can be tough.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver -  :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha

3W -  :callaway-small: XHot Pro

3 Hybrid - :taylormade-small: Rescue 11

4-PW - Maltby DBM Forged

52 -  :vokey-small: SM4

56 -  :cleveland-small: RTX-3

60 - Scratch SS

Putter -  :seemore-small: FGP

Fundamentals. Using a mirror to make sure eyes were just inside ball and everything was in alignment along with a putting plane board to help with the stroke helped build the good fundamentals to a consistent stroke.

Having the right putter that fits your stroke.

Reading greens comes with time and patience.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Great post csnoil but I would add one more to it

People often have inflated thoughts about how many putts they should hole and think they are poor putters when they are actually normal putters.

Most guys are better putters than they realize and are worse ball strikers than they think they are.

Tell a guy that and he will flip out, even when you prove it statistically.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Great post csnoil but I would add one more to it

People often have inflated thoughts about how many putts they should hole and think they are poor putters when they are actually normal putters.

Most guys are better putters than they realize and are worse ball strikers than they think they are.

Tell a guy that and he will flip out, even when you prove it statistically.

Do you have a link to those stats? I'm real interested to see them.

Driver -  :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha

3W -  :callaway-small: XHot Pro

3 Hybrid - :taylormade-small: Rescue 11

4-PW - Maltby DBM Forged

52 -  :vokey-small: SM4

56 -  :cleveland-small: RTX-3

60 - Scratch SS

Putter -  :seemore-small: FGP

this is the post ... https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/24711-tiger-made-the-switchmaybe-i-should/?p=441905

I'm the one that posted it....I'm not afraid to admit it.  Not sure why Plaid is calling me out here but I will explain.

Stroker... my post wasn't about you. If you'll reread my post I wasn't calling you out or anyone else in particular; certainly not by name. I don't even recall reading your post. There's hundreds/thousands of posts about putting problems. Not just yours alone. Anyway.....

Today I had a problem putting. As some of you regulars probably know - I've mentioned many times that I consider myself a good putter. And most of the time I am. Fine. Wish I was as good a ball striker as putting.

Overall I'm a fairly solid player most days. Most of my rounds are mid to low 70's just like 1000's of other players. But not today... I struggled with putting and scrambling mostly -  finishing with a 77. Whew!! I recall chunking one from about 6' off the green on closely mown grass. A no-brainer up and down. Made bogie. Ouch! Ouch!!

Things just didn't work out well today. I rarely three-putt. But, today I had three 3 three putts; two resulted in doubles. Lipped a bunch others putts and burned the edges all day it seemed. Even made bogie putting for bird from 8' (one of the three putts). No worries. It happens on occasion. Tomorrow will be better. All it was is a hiccup IMO.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

So today I ask you.... What's the problem?

That's a damn good question! I wish I knew what the problem was/is. 

Putting is the worst part of my game. IF I could putt, I would drop 8 strokes from my score... EASILY!

I miss 3' - 4' putts routinely. It pisses me off to no end. I can practice till I'm exhausted, and nothing changes. I guess I'm just naturally a crappy putter.... just like some of you are naturally gifted putters.

I miss 3' - 4' putts routinely

Why do you miss them? Left, right, short, long? Do you start the ball online. Anything consistently or just all over the place? Do you miss during practice as well it just when you are playing?

If you are missing that many you have no face control over with the putter. Are you trying to do SBST? Do you follow the putter with your eyes? When you miss do you make adjustments in your next putt?

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I've repeated this on multiple threads, but it's the best way to describe my putting:

I can't putt the ball into the ocean from the deck of a cruise ship.  It the cup were made from the bottom of a fifty-five gallon drum, there would be no complaints from me. 

But the Rev is right.  Most of us are hypercritical of our putting while having an inflated opinion of our own ball striking.  As bad as my putting was, I was in the 8s and 9s in my prime.  I was in the elevens as an old man. I was still in the 13s when my back was starting to hurt. That doesn't impress the 2s and 3s much, but statistically, and as ludicrous as this sounds, it made me a far better than average recreational player.

Practice is the other thing.  Senior players with bad backs simply cannot practice putting.  Hitting stroke after stroke from a bent over position is simply impossible.  Wynton Marsalis still has to practice on his trumpet--you can't be too good at anything without practicing. 

Do you have a link to those stats? I'm real interested to see them.

I'm sorry but not good at posting links. Csnoil recently did a thread about stats. A scratch golfer is 50/50 at 7 and makes about 10 percent from 20 feet. Touring pros are 50/50 at 8 feet.

Those types of stats are all over the place both here and on the net.

The secret to being a better putter is to hit the ball closer to the hole.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Heh, good question and well stated! In the imortal words from my favorite (old) show from across the pond...

This in itself, "made" the thread.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Stroker, I saw your post and I didn't think he was calling you out; but I digress.

I, too, struggle with consistency on the green and have become a  little bit of a putter hoe which leads to a revolving door in my bag.  A couple of things have helped me on the greens lately and I hope they can help you or someone else that reads this.

I have started hitting putts everyday.  Even if it is just 5 quick putts before work or bed.  I don't care that my carpet is like putting in the rough, I do it for aim and direction (3-5-8ft, into an old driver head that's a little smaller than a 3 wood).

Also like you, I don't often get to practice on a real green, so I bought a birdieball green last year.  When I have time to seriously practice, that's what I use.  That green has really helped me learn and control speed.  

The last thing that has helped me recently has been working on my mental approach. I'm still very new to this game so I try to pick up as much as I can from all of the seasoned vets, one of those was Unconscious Putting by Dave Stockton.  I'm not even two chapters into the book and I have already noticed an improvement in my putting just by changing the way that I approach my next putt.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

1. It is fairly easy to do, short stroke as you say but they don't seem to go in the hole. Was the stroke bad or were the expectations too high?

2. Greens are not consistent from week to week, course to course, and sometimes hole to told.

3. People don't know how to practice putting; especially if they can't be on a putting green.

4. Most instructors don't know how to teach putting

5. It is more that stroking the ball, it is the only shot in golf that is primarily influenced by the ground

6. People expect bad breaks on the course but not on the green

7. Unlike pros that hit the ball 300+ 1* of error isn't very penal to most golfers. 1* of error on the putting green is the same for everyone.

8,. When being fitted, we fit full swing clubs to the player and his tendencies. With putters we adjust players to fit the putter.

9. There is lots of incorrect information that is taken as fact about putting.

10. People believe that a putter that looks good will make more putts, even players that believe full swing clubs should be fit.

11. People overthink putting.

Great post!

Agree with the "over-thinking" comments - I believe too many golfers suffer from "paralysis by analysis"....

Would also comment, re: "confidence" - perhaps a better word to use is "decisive".

Decide on your line, decide on your speed, go.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

The secret to being a better putter is to hit the ball closer to the hole.

Yes, or....... Become a better lag putter.

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Stroker, I saw your post and I didn't think he was calling you out; but I digress.

I, too, struggle with consistency on the green and have become a little bit of a putter hoe which leads to a revolving door in my bag. A couple of things have helped me on the greens lately and I hope they can help you or someone else that reads this.

I have started hitting putts everyday. Even if it is just 5 quick putts before work or bed. I don't care that my carpet is like putting in the rough, I do it for aim and direction (3-5-8ft, into an old driver head that's a little smaller than a 3 wood).

Also like you, I don't often get to practice on a real green, so I bought a birdieball green last year. When I have time to seriously practice, that's what I use. That green has really helped me learn and control speed.

The last thing that has helped me recently has been working on my mental approach. I'm still very new to this game so I try to pick up as much as I can from all of the seasoned vets, one of those was Unconscious Putting by Dave Stockton. I'm not even two chapters into the book and I have already noticed an improvement in my putting just by changing the way that I approach my next putt.

My wife got me the "Unconscious Putting" DVD .. really good and highly recommended!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Lots of great info here that I won't regurgitate. Some other things for you to think about.

1. Are you a handsy putter? My oldest daughter is, and it makes it difficult to return the face of the putter to the ball with consistent loft. If you cannot return the face to the ball with consistent loft, you will not hit your putts with consistent speed. You can apply the same amount of force to the ball, and your distance will not be consistent. That will drive you to drink.

2. What is your automatic one-putt range? It does not matter what it is, just practice putts that a foot longer than that until those become automatic. It may be embarrassing to practice short putts, but it's more embarrassing to miss short putts.

Side benefit - hearing the ball go into the hole makes you feel like you're a better putter. Confidence helps.

3. What is your automatic two-putt range? Again, it does not matter what it is, just practice putts a foot longer than that until those become automatic two-putts.

4. Do not practice putts outside your one-putt range and inside your two-putt range. Anytime I see people doing this, I have to laugh. You're not going to make those putts, and you're not going to three-putt them. Why practice these? Your practice time is limited. Don't waste it.

5. Before every putt on the course, tell yourself that you are a good putter. Good putters miss putts. Execute your stroke, and then whatever happens, happens. Let yourself miss putts. Plaid's attitude above is perfect.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Why do you miss them? Left, right, short, long? Do you start the ball online. Anything consistently or just all over the place? Do you miss during practice as well it just when you are playing?

If you are missing that many you have no face control over with the putter. Are you trying to do SBST? Do you follow the putter with your eyes? When you miss do you make adjustments in your next putt?

I mostly miss left. I don't miss by much.... I burn the edges constantly or come up 1/2" short... or lip out. It's right there... the law of averages says that they have to start to drop sooner or later, but so far it isn't happening. I feel like I'm a SBST putter, but I know I have a very slight arc. I use an ER2... and I love it, but I just can't seem to find the bottom of the cup this year. It's very frustrating to be so close and not be able to get in the hole.

I'm a poor putter- always have been. It's not rocket science is it? I mean wee kids do it easily, mom's do it on putting greens having never payed golf in their life and they do ok.

recently got a SAMM putt lab lesson with a TPI coach and OMG it's so obvious when you see it analysed exactly what I have been doing wrong for years! No wonder I can miss the hole from 2 feet!!

Practicing now and things look and feel better, so much better.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I mostly miss left. I don't miss by much.... I burn the edges constantly or come up 1/2" short... or lip out. It's right there... the law of averages says that they have to start to drop sooner or later, but so far it isn't happening. I feel like I'm a SBST putter, but I know I have a very slight arc. I use an ER2... and I love it, but I just can't seem to find the bottom of the cup this year. It's very frustrating to be so close and not be able to get in the hole.

My guess without seeing your stroke is that you are trying to watch the putt go in the hole and turning early to watch.  Try keeping your eyes looking at where the ball was even on those 3 footers.  

My wife got me the "Unconscious Putting" DVD .. really good and highly recommended!

I've been working through the book slowly. My biggest takeaway so far is his comment "hit the putt while the line is still fresh in your mind." That idea has really freed up my stroke because I'm not standing over the ball any longer than necessary.

Couple that with a Jack Nicklaus quote I picked up either here or elsewhere. When asked about a crucial putt he missed coming down the stretch of a tournament: "I hit a good putt, it just didn't go in"

Definitely noticing an impact using these two mental approaches. When you lower your expectations, good things happen.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I've been working through the book slowly. My biggest takeaway so far is his comment "hit the putt while the line is still fresh in your mind." That idea has really freed up my stroke because I'm not standing over the ball any longer than necessary.

Couple that with a Jack Nicklaus quote I picked up either here or elsewhere. When asked about a crucial putt he missed coming down the stretch of a tournament: "I hit a good putt, it just didn't go in"

Definitely noticing an impact using these two mental approaches. When you lower your expectations, good things happen.

I lower mine to I expect to 3 putt everything and usually I don't ;)

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

My guess without seeing your stroke is that you are trying to watch the putt go in the hole and turning early to watch.  Try keeping your eyes looking at where the ball was even on those 3 footers.  

Loved your list of 12 above; so true for me when I was a poor putter.

The quick turn of the head to watch the ball is why I changed my setup and method of putting.  I was around 40 putts per round.  Lots of 3-putts and 2-putts from short distance.  Now I have 29-30 putts per round with most one-putts being up and downs.  Today I had 10 one-putts.  For those that may not remember, I look at the hole when putting.  I did that to stop my head from turning; it is already turned!

I will add to all of the great thoughts above by saying that except for the putter and short wedge shots, golf shots involve a big swing and speed.  Now when you get to the green, a golfer is expected to have finesse, short smooth stroke and a different tempo.  Sorry, but that comes with practice.  Some don't need as much time as others.  It was years for me.  It's also fleeting; if I don't play for several days and don't practice, I will not have a round with a bunch of one-putts.  

Lots of great info here that I won't regurgitate. Some other things for you to think about.

1. Are you a handsy putter? My oldest daughter is, and it makes it difficult to return the face of the putter to the ball with consistent loft. If you cannot return the face to the ball with consistent loft, you will not hit your putts with consistent speed. You can apply the same amount of force to the ball, and your distance will not be consistent. That will drive you to drink.

2. What is your automatic one-putt range? It does not matter what it is, just practice putts that a foot longer than that until those become automatic. It may be embarrassing to practice short putts, but it's more embarrassing to miss short putts.

Side benefit - hearing the ball go into the hole makes you feel like you're a better putter. Confidence helps.

3. What is your automatic two-putt range? Again, it does not matter what it is, just practice putts a foot longer than that until those become automatic two-putts.

4. Do not practice putts outside your one-putt range and inside your two-putt range. Anytime I see people doing this, I have to laugh. You're not going to make those putts, and you're not going to three-putt them. Why practice these? Your practice time is limited. Don't waste it.

5. Before every putt on the course, tell yourself that you are a good putter. Good putters miss putts. Execute your stroke, and then whatever happens, happens. Let yourself miss putts. Plaid's attitude above is perfect.

I agree with all these points with the exception of #4.  While I do not advocate spending precious practice time on these tweener putts, I believe it is imperative to spend time before playing, gauging the speed of the green.  Sure, practice the long putts for lag and the short putts to make, but on the day of play I believe that there is benefit to random putting to holes of varying distance.  Don't putt to the same hole from the same distance all the time.  Putt to different holes or the same hole from different distances and from different directions.  It helps build confidence that you can get it close when out on the course, and a few do fall in!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I made a post like this a month back. I'm not ashamed to say that I'm an awful putter. Someone said that any good putter could putt with any putter in their hands.

Here's the thing. Some people just don't have the delicate touch and eyes to read a green.

Some people can't cook worth a lick but they can bake like Betty Crocker.

Good ball striker doesn't mean good putter.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I will add to all of the great thoughts above by saying that except for the putter and short wedge shots, golf shots involve a big swing and speed.  Now when you get to the green, a golfer is expected to have finesse, short smooth stroke and a different tempo.  Sorry, but that comes with practice.  Some don't need as much time as others.  It was years for me.  It's also fleeting; if I don't play for several days and don't practice, I will not have a round with a bunch of one-putts.  

I think people have a natural tempo with irons and and with the short game.   Your tempo will be a factor in how long of a stroke you need to make for putts.   My tempo is slower and I putt better with a slow tempo (longer stroke).  My problem with this is that I leave a bunch short.   I can speed up my tempo and get more ball speed, but I lose my distance control.   It does take a lot of practice and generally the short game is the first to go. 

I think people have a natural tempo with irons and and with the short game. Your tempo will be a factor in how long of a stroke you need to make for putts. My tempo is slower and I putt better with a slow tempo (longer stroke). My problem with this is that I leave a bunch short. I can speed up my tempo and get more ball speed, but I lose my distance control. It does take a lot of practice and generally the short game is the first to go.

Exactly, I putt way betting with a quicker tempo. I play all shots with a really quick tempo. If I slow my tempo I will hit push slices and push all of my putts. If I get too quick I will hit pull hooks and pull all of my putts.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Archived