one other thing to try is creating a box and trying to get every putt in the box.

if you're on your carpet you can put 2 strings on the floor perpendicular to your putt and place them about a foot to 18 inches apart.

Try to get every ball between the 2 strings.

Once you do, back up and try it again; if you can't, get closer until you can, and then back up.  

or - move the strings a little further apart but not much more than a couple feet.

This should help with distance control which is critical to lag putting.

• Like 1

one other thing to try is creating a box and trying to get every putt in the box.

if you're on your carpet you can put 2 strings on the floor perpendicular to your putt and place them about a foot to 18 inches apart.

Try to get every ball between the 2 strings.

Once you do, back up and try it again; if you can't, get closer until you can, and then back up.  

or - move the strings a little further apart but not much more than a couple feet.

This should help with distance control which is critical to lag putting.

Yeah, I'm actually a pretty amazing putter on my carpet....which is why I was so shocked at the disparity on the course. cnosil blew my mind with the carpet being faster than greens thing. Makes complete sense. I need to remove the speed bias I believe and just focus on keeping a line. Maybe next round, my irons and putting will both be on fire. That sure would be nice. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm actually a pretty amazing putter on my carpet....which is why I was so shocked at the disparity on the course. cnosil blew my mind with the carpet being faster than greens thing. Makes complete sense. I need to remove the speed bias I believe and just focus on keeping a line. Maybe next round, my irons and putting will both be on fire. That sure would be nice.

Easy fix, take part of your carpet with you to the course, then lay the strip down to the hole and putt on it. Distance issue and line problems will be fixed. Easy peasy 😀😁😂🤣

MDGolfHacker

• Like 5

Easy fix, take part of your carpet with you to the course, then lay the strip down to the hole and putt on it. Distance issue and line problems will be fixed. Easy peasy 🤣

MDGolfHacker

Is it bad etiquette to ask the randoms I would be playing with to hold down the corners?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

Is it bad etiquette to ask the randoms I would be playing with to hold down the corners?

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.  Really, though, spend as much time as you can on the practice green at the course.  Putt some 3 to 5 footers to make sure you're getting the ball on line, it sounds like you practice those a lot.  Then spend the rest of the time putting 25 to 30 footers to get your speed right.  Don't worry about 10 or 15 footers, those will fall in line on their own.  That's my plan when I play competitively at a strange course.  I know I can hit my lines, its important to get adjusted to the speed before you start playing.

• Like 4

I have a very complicated routine when I practice putting. Either at my home course or elsewhere. Are you ready?

I only practice long putts at first to get a good feel for green speed. I don't seldom putt toward a cup. Many times I just putt toward the edge of the green. 20' footers.

With my last few putts they'll be a little shorter. 8'-10' That's it. The last thing I want to think about or remember is missing - not holing short putts.

• Like 3

Thanks for all the tips peeps. 39 putts today and only 18 on the back 9. Much more reasonable number for me. Now if only I could hit my irons well on days that I can putt. 🤪

• Like 2

Use tees to hold the corners down.. :D 

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1