TESTERS WANTED! ×

What's The Problem?

I get it that the chip should be closer, but unless you are knocking it to inside 4 feet, the chances of getting up and down are 50% at best. Outside of that distance that number drastically decreases in make percentage. So it's the chipping that needs the work not the putting. I think when we don't make a putt we feel like we are a bad putter, but in reality our putting isnt bad. We just don't make too many scoring putts. Some guys make a lot of scoring putts, that's why they are considered good or great. It's the scoring putts that are the issue.

I agree with you that chipping would be where I would look

In that situation. But you need to do more evaluation to see how far out the misses are coming from. As someone else mentioned the term scoring putts. My point was more that there was not really a single number that you should strive for with putts.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you that chipping would be where I would look

In that situation. But you need to do more evaluation to see how far out the misses are coming from. As someone else mentioned the term scoring putts. My point was more that there was not really a single number that you should strive for with putts.

I agree about a specific number for putts. You can have 28 putts and still shoot 80. It depends on how you are making the putts and what they are for in terms of score. 1 putt to save a double bogey is still one putt donthat 18 times and you have 18 putts but you still shot 144, but you only had 18 putts. I thin many of us who think we are poor putters are just too hard on ourselves in regards to putting. If we miss a putt we think we should make we get down on ourselves, then we miss the next one, and the next and so forth. If we could learn to relax and make a tension free stroke more putts would drop. I putt really well on the range, but there's nothing on he line, there's no tension in my hands or in my setup, but in the course it's a different animal

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I putt really well on the range, but there's nothing on he line, there's no tension in my hands or in my setup, but in the course it's a different animal

This has been my latest struggle as well.   I am starting to think that it is the repetitive nature of being on the putting green.   When practicing I get into a groove and can roll the putts the right distance and can make them.  Need to come up with a way to take 15 minutes or so between putts so it is more like the course.   

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

This has been my latest struggle as well. I am starting to think that it is the repetitive nature of being on the putting green. When practicing I get into a groove and can roll the putts the right distance and can make them. Need to come up with a way to take 15 minutes or so between putts so it is more like the course.

Hit five chips from different places, then go putt those and repeat. It spaces it out and practices making up and downs.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Hit five chips from different places, then go putt those and repeat. It spaces it out and practices making up and downs.

That is what I do when I get to a course that has a chipping green that is puttable.   Oddly that is harder to find than you would think.  Most putting greens don't allow chipping and the chipping greens have lots of divots or aren't cut very short.  

That is what I do when I get to a course that has a chipping green that is puttable. Oddly that is harder to find than you would think. Most putting greens don't allow chipping and the chipping greens have lots of divots or aren't cut very short.

I never thought of that. Can you go out at twilight when the course is clear and do it then? The course that I play has 2 "practice holes" with the driving range that are maintained like the course. I just go over to those and chip and putt.

I don't think it matters whether or not it's a scoring putt. A stroke is a stroke is a stroke. Whether it be for par birdie or double, 1 is 1. I would take missing every birdie putt and making all other putts over making every birdie putt and missing other putts.

That's exactly the point, a putt = 1 stroke. To the guy who calls himself a poor putter though, he (we) feel like we are a poor putter because we didn't make the putt. It is a struggle for me personallly to get out of my own head in regards to the thinking that I am a poor putter, I feel like I am, because I dont make very many putts, especially what we call scoring putts, birdies, Eagles, par saves. In reality and data wise I am not a poor putter, I am actually good by the numbers, but by my own perception I am a poor putter.

This has been my latest struggle as well. I am starting to think that it is the repetitive nature of being on the putting green. When practicing I get into a groove and can roll the putts the right distance and can make them. Need to come up with a way to take 15 minutes or so between putts so it is more like the course.

I have been doing some practicing where I putt around the putting green and I only use 1 ball, so instead of putting 3 or 4 balls to the same hole stroke after stroke. I thought to try to make it realistic and try to 1. Make the first putt, and 2. Put it close if I miss. 3. Do not 3 putt. So I try to play a game with it and do no more than 2 putt on the green. If I am on the course and 2 putt for bogey, it's not the putting that caused it. It was something else, a missed geeen, a poor chip shot, a poor tee shot out of position. I guess the main thing is to change my thinking about being a good or bad putter. Which is difficult to do sometimes.

That's exactly the point, a putt = 1 stroke. To the guy who calls himself a poor putter though, he (we) feel like we are a poor putter because we didn't make the putt. It is a struggle for me personallly to get out of my own head in regards to the thinking that I am a poor putter, I feel like I am, because I dont make very many putts, especially what we call scoring putts, birdies, Eagles, par saves. In reality and data wise I am not a poor putter, I am actually good by the numbers, but by my own perception I am a poor putter.

I wonder if poor is a bad choice of words?  In my case it can probably be replaced with frustrating.

I get very frustrated if I get on green in regulation (or better) and end up not making the putt or putts (!)  

It probably doesn't mean that I'm a 'poor' putter ... my technique may be off or something ... but I say to myself - I can get there from _X_ yards in _X_ strokes but it takes me _x_ strokes from _x_ feet. (i.e. I can get there from 410 yards in 2 strokes but it takes me 3 strokes from 18 feet...ahhhhhh!!!)

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

That's a damn good question! I wish I knew what the problem was/is.

Putting is the worst part of my game. IF I could putt, I would drop 8 strokes from my score... EASILY!

I miss 3' - 4' putts routinely. It pisses me off to no end. I can practice till I'm exhausted, and nothing changes. I guess I'm just naturally a crappy putter.... just like some of you are naturally gifted putters.

X2.. I'm a terrible putter, to the point where for a few months in the past, the gimmies weren't given from my playing partners. I go through streaks just like my regular swing. The only constant is I'm inconsistent on the greens with a putter.

It's hard to read greens and breaks. Hard at times to strike the ball with the correct pace for the line you picked out. If there were a stat for burned edges, I'd be on the pga tour, lol. Its different for everyone.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I have been doing some practicing where I putt around the putting green and I only use 1 ball, so instead of putting 3 or 4 balls to the same hole stroke after stroke. I thought to try to make it realistic and try to 1. Make the first putt, and 2. Put it close if I miss. 3. Do not 3 putt. So I try to play a game with it and do no more than 2 putt on the green. If I am on the course and 2 putt for bogey, it's not the putting that caused it. It was something else, a missed geeen, a poor chip shot, a poor tee shot out of position. I guess the main thing is to change my thinking about being a good or bad putter. Which is difficult to do sometimes.

For me 1 ball or 3 it more, once I get the feel for the practice green I do well. stroke is grooved, putts are online, and most everything is within a couple of feet.

I need to make if more realistic with more time between putts. No different than hitting on the range. On the range you can change clubs to provide a different feel. Practice putting green is the same thing over and over with different stroke lengths. On the course I lose that feel between holes

I had a record high 45 putts in my last round. Send help please. The theme of the day was leaving it short. I practice about an hour a day on carpet. I'm open to anything that will possibly help. If it means anything I had 3 putts on 4/5 GIRs and basically anything around the fringe means a 3 putt for me....bleh

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

I had a record high 45 putts in my last round. Send help please. The theme of the day was leaving it short. I practice about an hour a day on carpet. I'm open to anything that will possibly help. If it means anything I had 3 putts on 4/5 GIRs and basically anything around the fringe means a 3 putt for me....bleh

The speed of the carpet will be quite different than the green. If you are really looking to improve, I would get an artificial putting green for inside your house.

Personally I would recommend Birdie Ball Putting greens.

They will help you speed and consistency in your stroke.

how far away was your second putt that you missed causing a 3 putt?

If I have a putt longer than 10 feet I envision a large circle around the hole and try to get it within that circle.  I don't concern myself too much with getting it directly in the very small hole and try to get it within a larger area that I will feel comfortable putting from.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

The speed of the carpet will be quite different than the green. If you are really looking to improve, I would get an artificial putting green for inside your house.

Personally I would recommend Birdie Ball Putting greens.

They will help you speed and consistency in your stroke.

Yeah I know the speed is wrong. I was just working on my stroke and keeping a line which actually did work, just couldn't seem to get the ball to the hole. The birdieballs green is intriguing though. 65 bucks for a 2x8 is pretty good. I think...

RH:

#cobraconnect19

how far away was your second putt that you missed causing a 3 putt?

If I have a putt longer than 10 feet I envision a large circle around the hole and try to get it within that circle. I don't concern myself too much with getting it directly in the very small hole and try to get it within a larger area that I will feel comfortable putting from.

I was routinely leaving 15-20 footers about 5 -8 foot short. Got so frustrated on one hole that I 4 putted. 1 from the fringe. 6 feet left and sent it flying past the hole. 6 foot comeback that I missed and a tap in. The frustration was compunded because I had probably the best ball striking day of my life with my irons...

RH:

#cobraconnect19

1. What are you practicing on carpet? Personally I am not a big fan of indoor putting mats either because people want to groove a stroke that makes 10 footers on the mat. Problem is you don't get the same putt over and over on the course. Indoor carpet practice should focus on intended start line. I roll the b-ball off the end of a yardstick into a pillow. I continually use different stroke lengths to ensure I start the ball online.

2. If you are leaving the short, make an effort to hit the putt harder than you think you should. Make sure it is past the hole. If you go six feet by the hole it is no worse than being 6 feet short. Yes, I should take my own advice since I am usually way short.

3. You eventually need to practice in a real green to get used to the slower speed. Carpet is generally faster than a green

1. What are you practicing on carpet? Personally I am not a big fan of indoor putting mats either because people want to groove a stroke that makes 10 footers on the mat. Problem is you don't get the same putt over and over on the course. Indoor carpet practice should focus on intended start line. I roll the b-ball off the end of a yardstick into a pillow. I continually use different stroke lengths to ensure I start the ball online.

2. If you are leaving the short, make an effort to hit the putt harder than you think you should. Make sure it is past the hole. If you go six feet by the hole it is no worse than being 6 feet short. Yes, I should take my own advice since I am usually way short.

3. You eventually need to practice in a real green to get used to the slower speed. Carpet is generally faster than a green

O wow. For some reason I just assumed carpet was slower than a green. That would explain my issue. I putt to 2 large plastic cups I have from varying distances 3-5 ft all the way up to 15 ft and do very well. I suppose that is the problem...I think I will practice like you do from now on. Yardstick into pillow to make sure my line is right. Dang. The things you learn. I love this forum.

RH:

#cobraconnect19

Yeah I know the speed is wrong. I was just working on my stroke and keeping a line which actually did work, just couldn't seem to get the ball to the hole. The birdieballs green is intriguing though. 65 bucks for a 2x8 is pretty good. I think...

Yes, the problem with carpet practice is that you are ingraining the speed of the carpet into you head and expect that on the course. Working on you stroke is good but either get the speed right with a putting mat or use the yardstick and pillow like Cnosil suggested. Then you will remove the speed bias.

one other thing to try is creating a box and trying to get every putt in the box.

if you're on your carpet you can put 2 strings on the floor perpendicular to your putt and place them about a foot to 18 inches apart.

Try to get every ball between the 2 strings.

Once you do, back up and try it again; if you can't, get closer until you can, and then back up.  

or - move the strings a little further apart but not much more than a couple feet.

This should help with distance control which is critical to lag putting.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

one other thing to try is creating a box and trying to get every putt in the box.

if you're on your carpet you can put 2 strings on the floor perpendicular to your putt and place them about a foot to 18 inches apart.

Try to get every ball between the 2 strings.

Once you do, back up and try it again; if you can't, get closer until you can, and then back up.  

or - move the strings a little further apart but not much more than a couple feet.

This should help with distance control which is critical to lag putting.

Yeah, I'm actually a pretty amazing putter on my carpet....which is why I was so shocked at the disparity on the course. cnosil blew my mind with the carpet being faster than greens thing. Makes complete sense. I need to remove the speed bias I believe and just focus on keeping a line. Maybe next round, my irons and putting will both be on fire. That sure would be nice. 

RH:

#cobraconnect19

Yeah, I'm actually a pretty amazing putter on my carpet....which is why I was so shocked at the disparity on the course. cnosil blew my mind with the carpet being faster than greens thing. Makes complete sense. I need to remove the speed bias I believe and just focus on keeping a line. Maybe next round, my irons and putting will both be on fire. That sure would be nice.

Easy fix, take part of your carpet with you to the course, then lay the strip down to the hole and putt on it. Distance issue and line problems will be fixed. Easy peasy 😀😁😂🤣

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Easy fix, take part of your carpet with you to the course, then lay the strip down to the hole and putt on it. Distance issue and line problems will be fixed. Easy peasy 🤣

MDGolfHacker

Is it bad etiquette to ask the randoms I would be playing with to hold down the corners?

RH:

#cobraconnect19

Is it bad etiquette to ask the randoms I would be playing with to hold down the corners?

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.  Really, though, spend as much time as you can on the practice green at the course.  Putt some 3 to 5 footers to make sure you're getting the ball on line, it sounds like you practice those a lot.  Then spend the rest of the time putting 25 to 30 footers to get your speed right.  Don't worry about 10 or 15 footers, those will fall in line on their own.  That's my plan when I play competitively at a strange course.  I know I can hit my lines, its important to get adjusted to the speed before you start playing.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I have a very complicated routine when I practice putting. Either at my home course or elsewhere. Are you ready?

I only practice long putts at first to get a good feel for green speed. I don't seldom putt toward a cup. Many times I just putt toward the edge of the green. 20' footers.

With my last few putts they'll be a little shorter. 8'-10' That's it. The last thing I want to think about or remember is missing - not holing short putts.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Thanks for all the tips peeps. 39 putts today and only 18 on the back 9. Much more reasonable number for me. Now if only I could hit my irons well on days that I can putt. 🤪

RH:

#cobraconnect19

Use tees to hold the corners down.. :D 

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: