Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Mid-Round Schizophrenia

Calypso55

I recently returned from my annual golf reunion with my 'old' high school buddies.  We get together every year, renting a house for the 16 of us at Lawsonia Golf Courses in Green Lake, Wisconsin. A great venue!   We play three different courses over the weekend.

There's a lot of pride on the line and, given the challenge of the courses, we have come to dub our time together as the "stern test."

But, as usual, my game started to come apart mid-round, and suddenly I had to make a decision as to 'which' swing I was going to revert to, having learned many different swings from several different pros over the course of my 50 years of playing golf.

It seems that some 'swings,' or perhaps I should say, 'swing thoughts,' work for a little while; but then, when something goes awry, it's a desperate attempt to try to save the round by switching things up mid-round.  Often with disastrous results.

Anyone else experience the same kind of on-course schizophrenia???  If so, how do you handle it??

Thanks!

I've been a Lutheran pastor for almost 40 years.

I recently returned from my annual golf reunion with my 'old' high school buddies.  We get together every year, renting a house for the 16 of us at Lawsonia Golf Courses in Green Lake, Wisconsin. A great venue!   We play three different courses over the weekend.

There's a lot of pride on the line and, given the challenge of the courses, we have come to dub our time together as the "stern test."

But, as usual, my game started to come apart mid-round, and suddenly I had to make a decision as to 'which' swing I was going to revert to, having learned many different swings from several different pros over the course of my 50 years of playing golf.

It seems that some 'swings,' or perhaps I should say, 'swing thoughts,' work for a little while; but then, when something goes awry, it's a desperate attempt to try to save the round by switching things up mid-round.  Often with disastrous results.

Anyone else experience the same kind of on-course schizophrenia???  If so, how do you handle it??

Thanks!

YES. And for a fairly "new" duffer to the game it usually leads to the one bad hole where NO shot works and I wind up posting a seriously ugly round-killer. This is sometimes remedied with the not-so-subtle application of "helper" medicine while waiting at the next tee box...sometimes not... :wacko:

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I recently returned from my annual golf reunion with my 'old' high school buddies. We get together every year, renting a house for the 16 of us at Lawsonia Golf Courses in Green Lake, Wisconsin. A great venue! We play three different courses over the weekend.

It seems that some 'swings,' or perhaps I should say, 'swing thoughts,' work for a little while; but then, when something goes awry, it's a desperate attempt to try to save the round by switching things up mid-round. Often with disastrous results.

Anyone else experience the same kind of on-course schizophrenia??? If so, how do you handle it??

Thanks!

Absolutely, I think this happens to everyone. There are ebbs and flows to the game. You can't expect every hole to be perfect. I just try to keep doing the same thing and it does come back. You just have to hold on and grind it out during the tough points in the round. You can't play perfect golf for 18 holes. I think it is best to pick a swing, any swing and not change it, just try to work in consistency with it.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I'm not sure this is the right forum for this topic, but...

Take any advice I have to give with a pinch of salt, I've only been playing for approaching 2 years, but I've taken the same approach to golf as I have to every other sport.

* Embed good muscle memory...

* Don't have "swing thoughts", only practice swing thoughts.

* If you're not comfortable over the ball, step away.

If you need to correct something, do it away from the ball, get the "feel" right on some gentle practice swings, then step over the ball, take a good posture focusing only on that and where you want the ball to end up, then swing freely with the muscle memory of the passive swings, not trying to change this shot mid-swing.

If nothing is working, especially with the way UK weather has been recently, just play at 80% and adjust club choices, you'll make clean contact and you can let everything land short to roll into the green.

Put less pressure on yourself and don't try to correct the last shot. If you're not consistently hitting the same miss, don't try to correct the last one as it was a mis-swing, not an incorrect swing, work on swing consistency first.

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

Instagram @makingscratch : https://www.instagram.com/makingscratch/

Twitter @makingscratchUK : https://twitter.com/makingscratchuk

WITB:

• Driver : Ping G400 - Tour65 Stiff 44"
  • Fairway : Taylormade Burner 2.0 15deg - Reax-R
  • Hybrid : Taylormade M2 22deg - Flex-R
  • Irons : 4-6 Srixon Z765, 7-PW Srixon Z965 - Nippon Modus 105 S
  • Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15
    • 56deg Vokey SM5 F-Grind - Nippon ProModus 130 TX
    • 60deg Miura K-Grind - TT DG Spinner
  • Putter : Evnroll ER2
  • Ball : Vice Pro Plus

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

I typically don't have mid-round schizophrenia, but I always seem to have rounds that I'd label as Multiple Personality. For example, my last two rounds. Front scores: 49, 52. Corresponding back scores: 40, 45.

Going for an on-course lesson later this week to figure out why.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver -  :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha

3W -  :callaway-small: XHot Pro

3 Hybrid - :taylormade-small: Rescue 11

4-PW - Maltby DBM Forged

52 -  :vokey-small: SM4

56 -  :cleveland-small: RTX-3

60 - Scratch SS

Putter -  :seemore-small: FGP

Thanks!

More beer.

Just my two cents: A great friend of mine (3 handicap on a bad day)  taught me something very well learned but often forgotten. He told me to take three tees from my right pocket and put them in my left... oops, wrong movie! Actually the lesson was this.. remember GAP: Grip, Alignment, Posture then take two deep breaths and have fun. Always centers me back to reality and just having fun. You definitely are not going to pull a swing out that you have not used for 5 years and actually think it's going to work, do you? Use your muscle memory of the swing you have been using... I start to slice... GAP. I start to pull, GAP.... it works to put my mind at a good place.

In my bag

Drivers: Grenade II, Standard flex!

FW Woods:  Cobra Fly-Z set 14.5* w/VLCT-Sp Stiff graphite shaft

Irons:  Taylor Made Speed Blades tweeked 1* w/graphite Matrix 55 gram  M shafts

Wedges:   Taylor Made Speed Blade P & A w/Matrix 55 gram M shaft, 56* SCOR V sole w/Genius 9 graphite shaft, Cleveland 60* w/steel Stiff shaft.
Putter:   SeeMore X2 custom

Balls: Snell

Punch shots. If I go off the rails, I gear down and just hit punch shots. Just to get the feel of hitting a solid shot. They go almost as far as a regular shot and tend to fly fairly straight. Shorter, more controlled swing, easier to pull off. When I have problems, it tends to be from taking the club back too far or too far inside. Hitting punch shots solves both of those problems.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Punch shots. If I go off the rails, I gear down and just hit punch shots. Just to get the feel of hitting a solid shot. They go almost as far as a regular shot and tend to fly fairly straight. Shorter, more controlled swing, easier to pull off. When I have problems, it tends to be from taking the club back too far or too far inside. Hitting punch shots solves both of those problems.

^ this. 

I was going to say, I do 2 things. 

1) I will stiffen my arms and wrists, short backswing and just focus on delivering the club face to the ball. 

2) set ball back a pinch, more shaft lean, and my thought is I want to crush the ball down and bury it into the ground, while swinging easy, of course.  ;) 

2b) with woods, I use same swing without all the shaft lean and just concentrate on putting the club on the ball and sending it forward. 

The biggest problem I have with this though, is knowing when to rip off the bandaid.  I had a bad couple rounds, fell back to my "go to shot", and didn't break back out of it for nearly a year.  Over time the go to punch or stiff shots stopped being effective also.  

And if i'm not playing alone... I try to keep my head down for as long as I can.   Someone else can watch its ball flight :)

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

Just my two cents: A great friend of mine (3 handicap on a bad day)  taught me something very well learned but often forgotten. He told me to take three tees from my right pocket and put them in my left... oops, wrong movie! Actually the lesson was this.. remember GAP: Grip, Alignment, Posture then take two deep breaths and have fun. Always centers me back to reality and just having fun. You definitely are not going to pull a swing out that you have not used for 5 years and actually think it's going to work, do you? Use your muscle memory of the swing you have been using... I start to slice... GAP. I start to pull, GAP.... it works to put my mind at a good place.

This is great simple advice.

I usually find that around the 14th I start to tire physically and mentally. This usually results in my grip getting tighter and my swing gets shorter and quicker. A golf Sage once told me my swing should be like the word Tempo. Backswing is "Tem" downswing "Po". So this is what I always fall back on.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

That's what I usually resort to when golf schizophrenia strikes - for me it can strike early, middle or late.

I can't manage more than 1-2 swing thoughts, 0 is best.

And while at agree with those who say don't monkey with your swing while playing, sometimes you have to. A few weeks ago I blocked my drive way right on five straight holes, had to change something. It was change something, or throw a couple sleeves of new balls in the trees and go home...

I was playing terribbly today like +10 thru 12. I was really in my head thinking too much and "fixing" my swing and had maybe 3-4 swing thoughts. I then told myself to stop thinking about it. I had zero swing thoughts and just went back to a natural not technical swing. I played the last 6 in even once I stopped thinking about it. I think staying out of your head is good for your game.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

• 1 month later...

I was playing terribbly today like +10 thru 12. I was really in my head thinking too much and "fixing" my swing and had maybe 3-4 swing thoughts. I then told myself to stop thinking about it. I had zero swing thoughts and just went back to a natural not technical swing. I played the last 6 in even once I stopped thinking about it. I think staying out of your head is good for your game.

+10 thru 12 is a decent round for me!!!  :)  +10 for 18 only ever happened once! :) 

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

Good thread  :D

I played today with a 'new' swing thought and move. Worked for the first tee shot, then I was changing swings and swing thoughts pretty much all the way round- it was probably the worst round of golf I've had in years....searching for the elusive "That's it" moment which never came.

I like Skwielands friends advice of GAP (Grip Alignment and posture) the fundamentals, not unlike what John Jacobs used to preach when you have a swing disintegration, back to basics he would say and concentrate on GAP...then "two turns and a swish".

Now I'm looking forward to hitting the range tomorrow and just using muscle memory from decades of playing this beautiful game.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Archived