TESTERS WANTED! ×

Rev’s Bag

@Nifty and Stu - I love you guys!

I have a great fitting story for both you.  My first real driver fitting it was by a class A club pro who was a member of my church in Wisconsin.  He spent hours with me on a Monday, outdoors on a par 4 at the club that was closed, with his shag bag full of pristine Pro VIs.  It was mainly by site although he occasionally through the launch monitor in to verify what his eyes were seeing - we could also take the golf cart out to see where the balls landed and he had marked  balls so we could tell them apart.  We settled on a head combo, he charged me his cost, nothing for the fitting and in fact became my teacher who would never charge his pastor for lessons either - many of those lessons were playing lessons too - I learned a lot from him. 

The club came in and it was beautiful.  I hit it great!  About a month later my clubs were stolen out of my trunk.  The pro, John, said, "Don't worry, I handle this kind of thing with insurance companies all the time, I'll take care of it for you so that you're clubs are replaced and the deductible is covered."  In the meantime you can play with my demo set of Pings because no one at the club is interested in Ping this year - they all are going with Titleist drivers just like you did.

I'm sure you guys can see this one coming - from the first swing I mashed that G2 driver - long, straight, a tad of draw.  I hated the way it looked by the way - with its slightly closed face but I was sure that I was significantly longer with it than with the Titleist.  So the new clubs came in and it was time to turn the demo set back in.  I preferred everything in the new bag except that driver - I told John about it - he said, "No way.  Come back on Monday and we will try the two drivers head to head." 

So I warmed up and off we went to the 8th tee again - a long straight away Par 4.  Ten drives with the Titleist, ten with G2 - I averaged 251 with the Ping, 243 with the Titleist and had 8/10 in the fairway with each - I've always been straight off the tee.  He gave me the G2 (his demo) and kept my Titleist.

So all kinds of crazy things going on there - I hit the driver that I hated better than the one I liked and hit the driver that I wasn't fit for better than the one that I was.

Go figure.

We did tweak the Ping a bit with an after market shaft (they weren't big back then yet) and got me a couple of more yards.  I had that driver for a long time - from Wisconsin to my first three years in Florida - my son Matt still has it in his bag.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Rev the part about the looks of a club is true for me except in one case. Bear picked up an old Adams Tight Lies 5 wood somewhere. He said it was the ugliest club he had seen since the VAS Clevelands. I can hit the heck out of that club stock shaft and all. I nicknamed it the "Ugly Duckling". Right now it is in the back up bag because I am gaming a V-Steel I rebuilt with a Pro Launch blue shaft. As you know I love V - Steel woods anyhow and that 5 wood is a rocket. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Looks like the cat doesn't think very highly of the driver. Looks like you may have had to clean it shortly after the picture was taken.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Looks like the cat doesn't think very highly of the driver. Looks like you may have had to clean it shortly after the picture was taken.

The cat doesn't like anything of mine except to lie on my feet at night and wake me up.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 4 weeks later...

@Seth - I've been around for a long time so it's not as if those opportunities were all at once - one was four years ago and another two years ago and I won a contest (not a test). 

Like anyone else I've failed to be selected more than I've been selected.  I also don't apply for every single opportunity - I only apply if I think that I will have something of value to say about the product being tested. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

"Went to Dicks and eye balled the G400 and thought, I could tolerate this, so I started an eBay search"

Golf retail in a nutshell, LoL

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

And we have a change to the bag! Not surprisingly it's in the fairway wood spot.

Tour Exotics EX10 with a graphite design Tour AD shaft. I carry it 185-190 so I'm getting between 195-210 out of it (220 yesterday on only moderately wet fairways on the East Coast of Florida as opposed to the mush I'm playing on at home).

It's such an easy club to hit, shot after shot, nice high launch, flat trajectory, good carry, very straight point and shoot stuff. The sole is unique.

IMG_1320.JPG

It's a very shallow face so if you prefer a deep faced fairway this one won't be for you.

IMG_1321.JPG

On another note the Bag Guys at PGA Golf club loved my set up particularly my wedges. In fact while the guy was cleaning my irons he said, “Normally when a guy tells me he shot 78 on the Dye course I smile and inside think - no fng way. When I see wedges like these with worn spots like yours, I know you did.”

Made my day.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived