TESTERS WANTED! ×

Worse incidents of Cheating in amateur golf

Gg Owen

Not necessarily cheating, but in a HS tournament one guy kept trying to get another kid to hole out with the pin still in. To make it worse the kid probably ended up shooting 120 anyway without any help, but the other guy was just downright cruel trying to hang a two stroke penalty on him. Awful.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

There was a guy I used to play with quite often that constantly cheated.  He lived by the motto the fastest cart has the best lie.  As soon as we all teed off, he'd haul butt to get to his ball to improve his lie.  Just about every time he hit his ball and it definitely went in either the water or the woods, he would find it and have a clear shot at the green.  There was one day he actually fake tripped and when he stood back up, there was his ball laying right beside where he "fell".  He used to "accidentally" drop a towel on the ground and find his ball right under it.  I will have to see he was pretty creative with it though.  

The one that really got me was when he ran up the fairway before anybody else could get up there and I saw him go near my ball.  When I got to my ball, I was directly behind a tree and had no swing at all.  I almost lost it that day.  

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

Ive played league at a couple courses where guys are posting rounds in the 30s but have hdcps in the mid teens. Regular occurence and they are always in the cash.

Old golf buddy never lost a ball in his lufe .

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

There was a guy I used to play with quite often that constantly cheated. He lived by the motto the fastest cart has the best lie. As soon as we all teed off, he'd haul butt to get to his ball to improve his lie. Just about every time he hit his ball and it definitely went in either the water or the woods, he would find it and have a clear shot at the green. There was one day he actually fake tripped and when he stood back up, there was his ball laying right beside where he "fell". He used to "accidentally" drop a towel on the ground and find his ball right under it. I will have to see he was pretty creative with it though.

The one that really got me was when he ran up the fairway before anybody else could get up there and I saw him go near my ball. When I got to my ball, I was directly behind a tree and had no swing at all. I almost lost it that day.

Wow, that is bad. I don't know how you kept playing with him. I would have lost it or at least not played with him anymore.

You sir, have more patience than I.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

The one that really got me was when he ran up the fairway before anybody else could get up there and I saw him go near my ball.  When I got to my ball, I was directly behind a tree and had no swing at all.  I almost lost it that day.  

Just to clarify, he moved your ball to behind the tree from the fairway?  If he had done that to me that would have been the last shot I hit playing with him.  I'm not so concerned about your ball.  if you want to cheat and there are no stakes involved, that's on you.  But move my ball, and that's the end of our relationship, period.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Just to clarify, he moved your ball to behind the tree from the fairway?  If he had done that to me that would have been the last shot I hit playing with him.  I'm not so concerned about your ball.  if you want to cheat and there are no stakes involved, that's on you.  But move my ball, and that's the end of our relationship, period.

I barely missed the fairway and was pretty sure my ball would be sitting just in the right rough.  I was a member of that course and played there several times a week, so I pretty much knew right where my ball would be sitting.  He, for reasons I don't know, took off to my ball first before he went to his. When I got to mine, it was a little farther right than I hit it and was sitting square behind a tree.  

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

I barely missed the fairway and was pretty sure my ball would be sitting just in the right rough.  I was a member of that course and played there several times a week, so I pretty much knew right where my ball would be sitting.  He, for reasons I don't know, took off to my ball first before he went to his. When I got to mine, it was a little farther right than I hit it and was sitting square behind a tree.  

Um no.  Dude would have been dead to me at that point.  I would have even considered intentionally screaming at his ass, and then heading for the parking lot, essentially telling him we were done, and that I never wanted to see him again.  What kind of a prick does that?

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

watched a guy play a wonderful 3 wood onto a par 5, then I noticed he'd tee'd it up on the fairway! he saw that I saw, then he stuttered that he just wanted to try it and see if he could reach!

I haven't played golf with him since!

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Third party story but a buddy of mine was playing in a high school tournament. Him and a teammate and 2 players from opposing team. Opposing team player hits ball in rough and can't find it. My buddy's teammate finds it and says "watch this" and proceeds to take his heel and push the ball down into the ground until it is almost completely buried then tells opposing team that they can't find it and go re-tee. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

• 5 months later...

It's that post-holiday/new-year slow season at work.  I'm bored and thought I would share this nugget!

This happened during a "Ryder Cup" style local golf association tournament in 2004 in Roanoke, Virginia.  Playing the 12th hole of my singles match, a short, 304 yard, downhill, OB all along the right side, par 4, I hit an iron to the middle of the fairway, about 90 yards out.  My playing competitor hit an identical shot and our balls were side by side, no more than two feet apart.  He was playing a Callaway and I was playing a Titleist.  As fate/luck/chance (whatever you want to call it) would have it, I stopped at the bathroom that sits between the 11th and 12th fairway on my way to the my ball. 

When I got to "my" ball, dude had already played his second into the green.  I started my pre-shot routine when I noticed the ball looked funny (HEX dimples).  I asked the rules official who was supposed to be staggered between the match ahead of us and our match to come over.  I notified my playing competitor that I believe he hit my ball by mistake, knowing this should be automatic loss of hole.

The rules official drove to the green, picked my ball out of a greenside bunker, handed it to me and said "drop it as near where you think it was, no closer to the hole and proceed".  I complained more that this was the wrong ruling and the official said, "play out the remainder of the hole and write down both results (me winning hole by him playing wrong ball and replaying the hole as if nothing happened) and they would let the tournament director decide which score would stand when we were finished".

At the time, I was 2 holes up (should be 3 holes counting 12) with 6 to play.  He wins #12 outright on the "re-play" when he holed his "second" "second" shot from 90 yards.  Brings the match to me being 1 up.

We finish 18 all square and I think I have won the match because I will get #12 when the tournament director makes the correct ruling.  When I find the tournament director, the rules official is already in discussion with him about the incident.  The tournament director informs me we will have a sudden death playoff to see who wins the match based on the fact that I waited until after the match to seek ruling from him as match play rules clearly state that once a new hole has begun, prior rules infractions are null and void.  I lost on the first extra hole when I snap hooked my drive OB left.

The very next summer, I got paired with the same guy at a club versus club team event, where his playing partner that day was his father, the rules official who screwed me the year before!

It's that post-holiday/new-year slow season at work.  I'm bored and thought I would share this nugget!
This happened during a "Ryder Cup" style local golf association tournament in 2004 in Roanoke, Virginia.  Playing the 12th hole of my singles match, a short, 304 yard, downhill, OB all along the right side, par 4, I hit an iron to the middle of the fairway, about 90 yards out.  My playing competitor hit an identical shot and our balls were side by side, no more than two feet apart.  He was playing a Callaway and I was playing a Titleist.  As fate/luck/chance (whatever you want to call it) would have it, I stopped at the bathroom that sits between the 11th and 12th fairway on my way to the my ball. 

When I got to "my" ball, dude had already played his second into the green.  I started my pre-shot routine when I noticed the ball looked funny (HEX dimples).  I asked the rules official who was supposed to be staggered between the match ahead of us and our match to come over.  I notified my playing competitor that I believe he hit my ball by mistake, knowing this should be automatic loss of hole.

The rules official drove to the green, picked my ball out of a greenside bunker, handed it to me and said "drop it as near where you think it was, no closer to the hole and proceed".  I complained more that this was the wrong ruling and the official said, "play out the remainder of the hole and write down both results (me winning hole by him playing wrong ball and replaying the hole as if nothing happened) and they would let the tournament director decide which score would stand when we were finished".

At the time, I was 2 holes up (should be 3 holes counting 12) with 6 to play.  He wins #12 outright on the "re-play" when he holed his "second" "second" shot from 90 yards.  Brings the match to me being 1 up.

We finish 18 all square and I think I have won the match because I will get #12 when the tournament director makes the correct ruling.  When I find the tournament director, the rules official is already in discussion with him about the incident.  The tournament director informs me we will have a sudden death playoff to see who wins the match based on the fact that I waited until after the match to seek ruling from him as match play rules clearly state that once a new hole has begun, prior rules infractions are null and void.  I lost on the first extra hole when I snap hooked my drive OB left.

The very next summer, I got paired with the same guy at a club versus club team event, where his playing partner that day was his father, the rules official who screwed me the year before!
Surprise Ending!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I had a fella this year in a tournament fluffing his lie from dead center of the fairway. Then another group in the same league was conceding putts inside 3 feet. Neither the individual or the group finished the year out...

Sucks that people have to be that way.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

I play with my father-in-law a few times a year and I am consistently shocked at how much he cheats. Unlimited mulligans, moving his ball a couple feet closer every stroke for no reason, dropping a ball in the fairway and not counting a lost ball, the list goes on. It drives me crazy! I don't want to say anything because outside of that he's a great guy and I don't want to change the dynamics of the relationship, so I'll continue to piss and moan in silence.

The worst part about it is he tells me his scores when I didn't play with him, and somehow he drops 15 strokes when I'm not there. When he's with me he consistently shoots around 100, but then he'll brag and expect me to be impressed when he says he shot an 84 the other day. All I can think about is how much he needed to cheat to get there. Anyway, rant over. I can never be too upset because it's golf and I'm outside drinking beers doing something I love. Thanks for reading!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver -  :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha

3W -  :callaway-small: XHot Pro

3 Hybrid - :taylormade-small: Rescue 11

4-PW - Maltby DBM Forged

52 -  :vokey-small: SM4

56 -  :cleveland-small: RTX-3

60 - Scratch SS

Putter -  :seemore-small: FGP

To expound on my post above, I knew for a year something had happened but didn’t know what until I was paired with them a year later and they didn’t remember me. I certainly remembered them and made it known!
The son would eventually be indicted on some form of fraud charges stemming from his financial planning business.

3 minutes ago, sixcat said:

To expound on my post above, I knew for a year something had happened but didn’t know what until I was paired with them a year later and they didn’t remember me. I certainly remembered them and made it known!
The son would eventually be indicted on some form of fraud charges stemming from his financial planning business.

Shocking. Once a cheater always a cheater. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I'm not calling this an official cheating situation. Today during our match one of the guys hit his approach into the middle of a pond fronting the green. It's all carry. Me and my buddy both witnessed it. No biggie and we all keep moving and not really paying any attention to the guy as he ends up on the green eventually and says he's laying 3. !!?? I wasn't watching the guy as I had my own ball to worry about. The guy in question holes his put and declares a par. Me and my buddy both said... no that's a five you were wet. The guy says no... "I wasn't wet I found it in the grass short of the pond".!!! WTH!! I let it slide. Mainly because he was 4 down to me at that point with 3 to play. Here's what I think happened.

He was playing a very risky shot with a FW wood from about 200 yds and he actually didn't see it splash like we did. Maybe his vision isn't that great. I think he found a ball in the grass short of the pond and assumed it was his and played. In all actuality he should have recorded a 7!.The additional 2 shots for playing the wrong ball. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

32 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

He was playing a very risky shot with a FW wood from about 200 yds and he actually didn't see it splash like we did. Maybe his vision isn't that great. I think he found a ball in the grass short of the pond and assumed it was his and played. In all actuality he should have recorded a 7!.The additional 2 shots for playing the wrong ball. 

Of course he knew it wasn't his ball. kudos to you for not making a big deal over it. Sometimes it's best to just let things go.

15 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

I'm not calling this an official cheating situation. Today during our match one of the guys hit his approach into the middle of a pond fronting the green. It's all carry. Me and my buddy both witnessed it. No biggie and we all keep moving and not really paying any attention to the guy as he ends up on the green eventually and says he's laying 3. !!?? I wasn't watching the guy as I had my own ball to worry about. The guy in question holes his put and declares a par. Me and my buddy both said... no that's a five you were wet. The guy says no... "I wasn't wet I found it in the grass short of the pond".!!! WTH!! I let it slide. Mainly because he was 4 down to me at that point with 3 to play. Here's what I think happened.

This seems exactly the right thing to do.  Let him artificially lower his handicap, as long as you take the money.  I'd call that an investment toward future matches with the same guy.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

• 2 weeks later...

Stuff like the stories above really make me angry.
I played in a state golf association event last summer and one of the guys in the foursome tried to make it seem like he was rules expert. He would time his “rules knowledge” drops to specifically mess with guys trying to make a putt or some difficult shot. Most aggravating day on the golf course I have ever had.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Archived