TESTERS WANTED! ×

Grip Tips

Currently my bag has an array of grips on all my clubs. Most of them are stock grips that I figured I'd wait till later on changing them out and focus on the clubs themselves before I spend any more money. I tend to lean towards the MCC+4 midsize but open to other options.

M2 - stock

Cobra 3/4 Wood - actually upgraded since I switched out the shaft earlier this season and put in a MCC+4

Callaway Rogue 4H - stock

Steelheads 4-AW - stock

XGrind SW - Stock

Anyone use different grips or keep it same across the board?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M2 D-Type, 9.5 degrees, (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

3/4W -  :cobra-small: King F6 Black 3-4 Wood (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4H -  :callaway-small: Rogue (Stiff flex) (Stock grip) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4-AW -  :callaway-small: Steelhead XR Irons (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grips, 7i with Winn Dri-Tac X Grip) 

SW -  :callaway-small: 56* X-Wedge

60* -  :callaway-small: MD4 Wedge

Putter - Odyssey White Hot RX #7

Bag -  :callaway-small: ORG 14 cart bag

I play Golf Pride VDR Midsize grips on all clubs. I really like how soft they feel. I do tend to gravitate to all rubber grips though. I play midsize grips to stop my wrist action. They are nice and tacky. I generally regrip every other year.

They get the 100% seal of approval. 💯

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I play Golf Pride VDR Midsize grips on all clubs. I really like how soft they feel. I do tend to gravitate to all rubber grips though. I play midsize grips to stop my wrist action. They are nice and tacky. I generally regrip every other year.

They get the 100% seal of approval.

Honestly never even heard about the VDR grip before. With most of my current grips being stock they are all rubber grips. I guess I just assumed the best way to go with a hybrid grip like the MCC. Though I have also been considering the CP2 line as well.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M2 D-Type, 9.5 degrees, (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

3/4W -  :cobra-small: King F6 Black 3-4 Wood (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4-AW -  :callaway-small: Steelhead XR Irons (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grips, 7i with Winn Dri-Tac X Grip) 

Honestly never even heard about the VDR grip before. With most of my current grips bring stock they are all rubber grips. I guess I just assumed the best way to go with a hybrid grip like the MCC. Though I have also been considering the CP2 line as well.

Yeah, I had never heard of them either but I got used irons with them installed and fell in love with them. There are no "best" grips though. It is mostly personal preference. It is whatever makes you feel most comfortable. Personally the corded, hybrid grips hurt my hands and are to abrasive.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

One thing to consider when changing grips is to check how much the grips weigh.  A rough estimate of swing weight change is 5 grams of weight in the grip = 1 swing weight point change.  That may or may not be a problem depending on the grips you have and the ones you want.  

I just changed grips on my hybrids.  What a difference.  I ordered the clubs with oversized grips and the clubs never felt right.  They were the only oversize grips the manufacturer offered.  The clubs felt like all the weight was in the handle.  I changed to my usual grip, Winn Dry Tac Oversize and the club felt right.  The balance point moved almost an inch down toward the club head.  The Winn grips weigh 50 grams, which is close to what most standard grips weigh.  (I looked it up and the standard MCC+4 weighs 52 grams.  The midsize MCC+4 weighs 66 grams and the jumbo 82.)  Changing to the bigger grip, especially the jumbo, could completely change the feel of the club.  If the club feels right with a standard grip, try to get a midsize close to the same weight.   

Yeah, I had never heard of them either but I got used irons with them installed and fell in love with them. There are no "best" grips though. It is mostly personal preference. It is whatever makes you feel most comfortable. Personally the corded, hybrid grips hurt my hands and are to abrasive.

I do agree with you on the abrasive part. At times notice that my right hand gets a tad rouged up. Nothing too bad but then again not sure if that is also from other grips.

Over a year ago my grip was crazy tight but learned to loosen up at times. Still grip hard these days but an improvement/work in progress.

I only regrip clubs when they need it, and I love to experiment with different grips, so I'm frequently mismatched. I'm playing 13 of the same grips now, but that's just because I'm playing all Cobra F8s for the Cobra Connect Challenge II. I do like the Lamkin REL Ace grips, though.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Sometimes on certain clubs I use certain different grips. One of the reasons is feel another is the balance weight wise like alfriday stated. Right now most of my stuff is GP Tour Wraps because I like the feel and sensitivity I get from them. Now on my 4 hybrid I use a GP Multi because that was on the club when I got it used and I could tell by feel that someone had did some serious tuning on it in the past. My 5 wood laugh has a Ping style Tour Velvet on it because when I built it that was the only grip I had and I threw it on. For some reason it balanced out good on that club and I liked the feel so it stayed. All of my drivers I use a Cord on mostly now days a Lamkin Crossline cord. I like a firm feel on my driver.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I have varied grips, but they're almost always midsize. I'm a big fan of Lamkin uTX and a few years ago they were on sale for a drastically reduced price, so I stocked up.

The point above about checking the weight of your grips if you move to midsize from standard is a very good one. Some midsized grips can be anywhere from 12g-15g heavier than another brand's or line's midsized. Definitely something to keep in mind. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Archived