TESTERS WANTED! ×

Should I add extra length to my clubs?

So I went to a golf shop with my dad to help him find some new clubs. He ended up getting the Callaway Rogue X irons with an extra inch added. I hit a few and the set up of them felt great, just feels more natural and it doesn't feel like I have to bend as much. He's 6'4” so it seems obvious to add length, I'm 6'2” and still growing and I really liked the feel of the extra length. Just wondering if this would be a good idea to add some extra length to my 714 AP2s and maybe even my driver, 3 wood, and hybrid. I do hit the ball very well and straight but hitting an iron with an extra inch just seemed much more fluid for me and I seemed to be generating more power. Also I'm not sure about how changing the loft when adding length should be done. Anyone know the best way to go about this? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

If you're 6'2" and still growing, you're a natural for longer than standard clubs (unless you want Keegan Bradley's swing). I would recommend seeing a fitter to help you out with this.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

If you're 6'2" and still growing, you're a natural for longer than standard clubs (unless you want Keegan Bradley's swing). I would recommend seeing a fitter to help you out with this.

Thanks! Think I'll be doing that soon!

Good luck to you, and welcome to the forum!

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I'm 6'6" and play everything below my 3W at +1". But, everyone's different and your wrist to floor measurement comes into play as well. Obvious answer is get fitted, but there are some static charts you can check out online.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

As a fitter, not only look at 1”, but make sure your lie angle is where it needs to be. At 6'2” you will most likely need an upright lie bend. How many degrees will depend on your swing plane

I am 6'3” and had an extra .5” added to my irons. Can't even begin to tell you what a difference it has made in my contact.

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

I am 6' 1" but have long arms so I play standard length, +1.5 lie. The main measurement that matters is wrist to floor.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

So I went to a golf shop with my dad to help him find some new clubs. He ended up getting the Callaway Rogue X irons with an extra inch added. I hit a few and the set up of them felt great, just feels more natural and it doesn't feel like I have to bend as much. He's 6'4” so it seems obvious to add length, I'm 6'2” and still growing and I really liked the feel of the extra length. Just wondering if this would be a good idea to add some extra length to my 714 AP2s and maybe even my driver, 3 wood, and hybrid. I do hit the ball very well and straight but hitting an iron with an extra inch just seemed much more fluid for me and I seemed to be generating more power. Also I'm not sure about how changing the loft when adding length should be done. Anyone know the best way to go about this? Thanks!

I am also 6'2"and both of my previous fitters have told me to go with an extra 3/4". this should be stated by them when you get fitted. if not,then I would get a second opinion.

Also,now be cognizant of the fact that once your stance and posture get acclimated to the longer shafts,you will no longer bw able to use regular length shafts. I went on a business trip one year and decided to go play a round and I had to rent clubs. I kept on topping every shot.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

• 2 weeks later...

Got fitted, got my clubs back today, gonna play a quick 9 later, hopefully good results!

I've gotten about 5 rounds in since lengthening my irons, all I can say is wow. Hitting my irons way more consistently and longer. Made a world of difference.

I've gotten about 5 rounds in since lengthening my irons, all I can say is wow. Hitting my irons way more consistently and longer. Made a world of difference.

For future reference, Ping's nFlight online fitting tool is great to determine overall length and lie of your irons. Granted, you may have a more upright/flat swing that could require a small adjustment, but for general starting points, that's a great tool.

And remember just like lofts, every club manufacturer has a different 'standard' length. So when a fitter says 1/2" over standard, ask what the total length of the club will be and keep that measurement handy anytime you change out clubs. I swing a 38.5" 5-iron which is 1/4" over standard for Cobra but 1/2" over for Bridgestone and Titleist. And if you want to get real technical, ask if the length is for the butt end of the shaft or with the grip installed. The grip cap adds another 1/4". 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

It waa suggested to me to go 1/2 over 2 degrees uoright, and stiff shafts by several fitters. My index went from 9.5 to 7.3 in two weeks. Shooting lowest scores of my life.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear your success with the longer shaft. It is natural that you picked up some extra yardage. Clean contact and the extra 1-2 mph of swing speed will make a huge difference. (~1 mph/ .5 inch). I am 6'1" and have my irons .5" over standard and 2 degrees upright. I don't recommend the same for your woods and driver though. Most people's standard drivers are already too long for their swing. Another thing to remember is that the added length will change the flex a bit. If you are using a weak s-flex you may find that the added length has now brought it down into the r-flex range. This is why it is best to have a quality fitter help you decide.

WITB:
pxg-small.jpg 0811 Prototype Driver: (10.5 / s-flex)
image.png.cb4b01bb138fdc7ddf4f5e9396a76d82.png   Sub 70 Pro Tour Fairway 3W (15 / s-flex)
pxg-small.jpg 0341 Prototype, 5W (18, s-flex)
pxg-small.jpg 0311, 4-PW, (+1/2" / +2 up) ProjX LZ 6.0
pxg-small.jpg 0311 wedges, 52, 56, 60 degree
TommyArmour.jpg.d3c9da7d74a401e95b625f92af834200.jpg Impact No.3, Putter 35"

Dexterity: Right-handed

Archived