TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shaft Expertise - Stiff vs X

I need some advise on what shaft to hit in two of my clubs that are new to my bag.

First club is a Callaway GBB Epic HeavenWood set to 19* in a Aldila Rogue MAX 70 S

Second Club is a Cobra King Utility 2-3 Iron set to 18* in a Aldila Rogue 95 MSI 85H Stiff

The Question at hand is should I be hitting an X Flex in the two clubs above?

- Currently i game a XR 16 Pro with a Aldila RIP Beta 70 X. My driver swing speeds are avg 114mph

- My 3W is in a Fujikura Speeder 84 Tour Spec X

I feel like the Heavenwood is a nobrainer to swithc since its a 7W in a 3W shaft. However, the Driving Iron is very new to me and i dont know how this fits in shaft-wise since its right between my irons and woods and is a 7W replacement for windy days or narrow courses. My most frequent miss with UDI is left. 

Thanks!

:callaway-small:  GBB Epic Sub Zero 8* | Aldila Rogue Max 75 X

:cobra-small: King LTD Black 13.5* |  Aldila Rogue 85 X

:cobra-small: King Utility Iron 18* | Aldila Rogue 95 MSI 85H S

RSi TP P-4 | True Temper Dynamic Golf S300

52* RTX 588 Black

56* CG14 GunMetal

:cleveland-small: 60* CG14 Camo

O-Works 7s Black | Super Stroke 3.0 Slim @ 36"

SuperSoft

It's not a simple answer.

There's no standard in stiffness throughout the shaft world

The shafts can have different profiles

The shafts can have different balance points

Every golfer reacts uniquely to different stiffnesses, profiles and balance points so unfortunately there's no way anyone can give you an answer on the internet because there's no telling how you'd react to a change in shaft/flex

There are no hard and fast answers, but based on your speed and other gamers it sure sounds like these are too weak for you. The UDI in particular I would not want to miss left. At your speed left misses can end up way left

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Every golfer reacts uniquely to different stiffnesses, profiles and balance points so unfortunately there's no way anyone can give you an answer on the internet because there's no telling how you'd react to a change in shaft/flex

I appreciate the feedback and I knew that it wouldn't be cut and dry, but was hoping to gain a little more insite since these are new clubs to me. Would it be safe to assume something similar to the 3W shaft i game now would be a good fit for the Heavenwood? 

There are no hard and fast answers, but based on your speed and other gamers it sure sounds like these are too weak for you. The UDI in particular I would not want to miss left. At your speed left misses can end up way left

That's is what i was afraid of i dont want to be "whipping" that club if it is too soft, but my irons are dynamic Gold S300 so i dont know where the UDI lands.

Im sure the best thing would be to get fitted for both.

52* RTX 588 Black

56* CG14 GunMetal

SuperSoft

I appreciate the feedback and I knew that it wouldn't be cut and dry, but was hoping to gain a little more insite since these are new clubs to me. Would it be safe to assume something similar to the 3W shaft i game now would be a good fit for the Heavenwood?

That's is what i was afraid of i dont want to be "whipping" that club if it is too soft, but my irons are dynamic Gold S300 so i dont know where the UDI lands.

Im sure the best thing would be to get fitted for both.

I think you've answered your own question. It's amazing how much difference can exist in the same shaft as you move from driver to fairway to hybrid.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Best answer is to get fitted because their are no absolutes.

I'm borderline x in my driver at around 112ish and play stiff throughout the rest of the bag. I'm currently gaming a stiff in my driver but am going to give x stiff a shot.

When you're borderline flex, it really depends on tempo and transition as whether you should look at x or not. For some people an x might make them react/swing differently than when you give another player with a similar swing speed the same shaft

I'm right at 110mph with driver, quick takeaway. Have played stiff forever. Recently fit into xstiff throughout the bag by a PXG master fitter. Haven't received the clubs yet but will let you know my thoughts. One the range during the fitting it was money. A lower piercing ball flight. We'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I am at 105 but with a really quick tempo so I play X stiff. If I play stiff there is just way to much bend in the downswing.

At 114 I would almost certainly recommend the X stiff in all clubs unless you have a really smooth tempo and don't bend the shaft as much.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

If you're swinging 114, more than likely, you need to be in an X. Unless you don't ever bend your wrists at all.............

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Thanks for all the feedback! Going to get fitted on the two clubs! I will let y'all know the results and my findings once I hit the course with new shafts.

52* RTX 588 Black

56* CG14 GunMetal

SuperSoft

Not sure sounds like X flex would be better for you but I will take the old shafts off your hands after you switch them out

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

... Conner, I will add to jlukes excellent answer by saying how you load a shaft is much more important than how fast you load a shaft. With a 115+ mph swing speed, Freddie Couples used an R flex (not the L Flex some have said) in his Ram Bore Thru 3 wood that he found in Tom Watsons trunk. Because Freddie has a smooth transition and unloads the shaft late, he used the DGR300  very well ... until he found out it was R Flex then started hitting it poorly. Yea, this game isn't mental at all LOL. He put an X Flex in it and went back to killing it. 

... And if you have a short, hard swing with a fast transition, even at 90 mph you still might need a X Flex. One of my playing pards has a very short fast swing and anything but a X flex and he starts spraying it all over the course and his swing speed is around 95. I have a smooth transition at 100 mph and have the S Flex Rogue Black in my King Utility but have the R Flex Even Flow Blue in my UDi, and honestly they both perform equally well as they are almost identical in profile and feel very similar. I have no doubt I could reverse those playing a Rogue Black R flex and an Even Flow S flex and experience the same results. Since you already have these clubs, might as well give them a shot and see how they perform for you and then make adjustments if necessary. Good luck and keep us posted.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

When I was much younger, I measured for stiff in fitting--of course they didn't do it electronically then-- but I didn't like it on the course. 

I hit the ball too low with the longer clubs and couldn't feel the club head enough.  I had pretty decent strength, but limited flexibility for backswing (I never raised my left heel to mitigate that), so I didn't have blazing club head speed anyway.

Bottom line, as an eight I played the same R-flex that I'm playing as a geriatric now. To this point, I haven't seen anything in ball flight to suggest a softer A. 

just to echo some of the comments about swing mechanics and shaft brand variables.. My driver swing speed is around 112 avg but I have what I've been told a very smooth tempo with a slightly late load/release, lots of hip rotation/clearing before the club really goes to work. When I'm in sync, my flight is pretty dead straight with about 270-280 yd carry. As much as I'd like to "say" that I play X stiff for conversation sake.. it just doesn't work for me. I've tried various X-stiffs and just can't get any extra distance or find any reason that it makes sense. I play S flex all through the bag and have no problems with left shots. I play pretty light weighted 95g iron shafts and a HBP (high balance point) driver shaft on top of that. When I start to pull is when I know I'm just getting lazy and swinging ahead of myself. So I guess what I'm getting at is.. get fitted :P  

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

What he said. EXACTLY what he said...

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I'm weird about torque, I like all my graphite shafts to be the same, even if they're different flexes. Driver is X and fairways are S.

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

• 1 month later...

I have purchased a PX 7.0 to fit into my driving iron. Having trouble finding the cobra adapter available for it. Hopefully I'll get it set up in the next month or so.

52* RTX 588 Black

56* CG14 GunMetal

SuperSoft

It seems like X flex is as trendy as "power spec" iron lofts. As a number of posters identified, so many variables go into the right shaft selection. In the more seasoned fitters/equipment junkies opinions, how much of the trend is marketing mumbo jumbo vs newer technology advances that make X flex appropriate for a growing group of people?

What he said. EXACTLY what he said...

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

• 2 weeks later...

Got the 7.0 Flighted Shaft fit Into my Cobra Utility Iron set at 18* and played it on Saturday. Hit it off 12 of 18 teeboxes and loved it. I felt like it helped with my left miss and brought it much further in. I was pushing a straight ball in the left side of fairway instead of hooking. Ball was playing about 250-280 on most holes.

Safe to safe for the foreseeable future I have found a great fit for that club! Thanks for all the advise along the way!

52* RTX 588 Black

56* CG14 GunMetal

SuperSoft

Archived