Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

30 yr old Wilson 2i

I am thinking of reshafting this club with a 7i shaft. Use it as a punchy bullet ball iron. Just for fun really. But is am curious about the swing weight and if it'll need to be adjusted. I use mid size Lamkin3gen ACE grips and am thinking about a project x 5.5 or 6.0 shaft. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• 2 weeks later...

chances are it has a pin you will have to take out and if you like the original look put back in.

That hasn't been done well since the time of that iron. When I certified as a clubmaker, it was the first of only two times I needed to do that.

Second - the tip section in the day was smaller than now. I cant tell you if that model was one but you are in the neighbor hood of needing a smaller taper tip shaft.

Third - going from a 2I to a 7I in length will already mess with the SW not to mention the larger grip. meaning light!

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

Thanks for the response. I figured the swing weight would definitely need to be changed and changing it is something I know almost nothing about. However I am certainly not above finding the right person.

I may ruin this little gem but as I only have $.50 plus a grip I already had in it it wouldn't be a great loss of money but I do love the tiny little butter knife.

Don't get hung up on matching the SW.  the 2 to 2.5" change makes it nearly impossible to match in conventional terms, tip weights, tape.

You might need the tungsten powder  down the shaft to get in the right range.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

I have the 1954 Wilson Staff irons that my uncle handed down to me.

They were my first set of irons in the early sixties.

I didn't know that they were unforgiving. 

The swing that I had then didn't warrant forgiveness.

Old clubs can be fun. Enjoy it as you wish.

I want pics and results!

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived