TESTERS WANTED! ×

Death Anniversaries

Mr. 82

http://woeckener.blogspot.com/2016/05/in-memory-of-gregory-david-woeckener.html

This may take on a very strange and depressing theme, but here goes.  Four years ago today I lost my only son to suicide.  You can read the above linked blog post if you like about it, as I reflected on it several years ago.

My point to posting this actually, was to ask you guys a question, or at least those of you who have lost loved ones.  The first couple of years after Gregory died we had lots of friends calling or texting and offering words of encouragement or support.  Last year it was kind of little to nothing, and this year, both the wife and I just looked at each other and shrugged our shoulders as if it was kind of just another day.  We had friends yesterday that asked us about it, but I kind of said we really don't know how to act or feel anymore.  As the time has passed the memory of this day of the year seems to have faded into history, and my feelings are more numbness and blah then anything else.

So the question out of all of this is, how do those of you who have lost someone you love that you really cared about tremendously, reflect on the day of their passing, and/or how do you remember the day of their passing, if at all?  Am I normal in not really feeling like even doing anything today, beyond just another day at work, or is it something else I should be or could be considering trying to mark this day every year?

Birthdays are one thing, but death days?

Your experiences and life stories would be appreciated.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I am very sorry to hear that about your son. As a father of 3 boys I cant imagine the pain you have had to endure. For me personally I lost my mom in 2015 while on deployment to the horn of Africa. She had colon cancer and they found it during the routine colonoscopy screening. Problem was she didn't get it the screening when she was supposed to because she was afraid. When she finally got screened it was stage 3. I don't celebrate the day of her passing primarily because I don't want to think about it. I endure the pain of her loss every day. I feel like I never mourned the loss because I was halfway across the world at the time and it was a whirlwind getting back stateside for the funeral and to top it off I had to fly right back to a deployment broken. I think about her every day because I called her every day while I was inport and I kick myself because with a family of my own I didn't call much on deployment because of limited phone time i had to call my wife and kids. I see her everyday in the face of my youngest daughter age 4 because she looks just like my mom with her blonde curls and he spunk. I have never been the same honestly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

I was halfway across the world at the time and it was a whirlwind getting back stateside for the funeral and to top it off I had to fly right back to a deployment broken.

This is one of the ways that people who have never served in the military don't understand the hardships that are forced on you as a service member.  You essentially are married to the military, and your family is always put on the shelf during your service/deployments.

So thank you for your service, and for your tremendous sacrifice.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

This is one of the ways that people who have never served in the military don't understand the hardships that are forced on you as a service member. You essentially are married to the military, and your family is always put on the shelf during your service/deployments.

So thank you for your service, and for your tremendous sacrifice.

No doubt it is the toughest part of the job. I am not ashamed to say I am counting the days till I can retire and get a civilian job I have missed too many things.

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

No that's all very normal. I was very close with my grandparents and after they passed was brutal. But now on their anniversary it's just another day. Time heals all my friend. Occasionally I go to their grave say hi but that's really it

I can't say that I mark the day my Dad passed away with anything but it certainly puts a bit of a dampner on my birthday, which is 6 days later.

It's been 21 years this year and it's still tough, which is surprising, because as kids he was hard, maybe more than he should have been and I don't know why. After leaving high school he mellowed somewhat...maybe it helped that I was bigger and tougher than he was, but we ended up having a better relationship.

I just remember the day, maybe shed a tear and keep moving forward.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I remember the way he made me feel.

Brother Cuz (the name he affectionately earned) would always come into the firehouse and hang out with us like clockwork, every single shift just before dinner. He'd hang with us until about 11 when we'd rack out.

A few days after he took his life, we felt a tremendous void at the table. The eulogy delivered by his sister in law (yup) was brief and disjointed. It was his closest friend and our boss who hit it right out of the park. Cuz was as sure as a fire truck...call 911, you'll get a rig...call Cuz and he'll be there without a doubt. He was reliable and goofy and eccentric and unique. We learned that his solace was time spent at the firehouse. Time with his friends that became family. His happiest moments were sitting around the table and treating us to some “Za”. A medium with light sauce, ham and pepperoni from the same exact spot every single time.

We made a fun tribute to the Cuz. He installed a 110 outlet in the kitchen that had two USB ports. He didn't get permission and despite his work history as an electrician, the chief gave him a 30 day rip.

He didn't complain, we kept that outlet up and installed a plaque. “The brother Cuz memorial outlet.”

Sure, it's silly, but that's Cuz. He reminded us that no matter what, the firehouse kitchen table was the safest most welcoming place in his world.

So yes, we are reminded of him when we peek at the outlet but I am reminded of how he always was the guy that would reach out for anyone.

Grief is a difficult thing and time has a strange way of affecting us.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

First of all I'm very sorry for your loss GSwag, you and your wife both. I'd also like to commend you for having the courage to share with us.

I can tell you from three perspectives, person who has suffered losses, counseling student and care giver of those who are grieving that there is no right or wrong answer here. Everyone experiences grief a bit differently and yet there are certain “normals” within those differences.

What you are describing is normal.

Personally I remember the dates that my parents died because they were big days - Dad All Saints Day and Mom Father's Day.

I've had a number of congregants loose children to suicide - I do remember those dates and say a prayer for them and drop them a note on those anniversary dates. I also have a few congregants who take the anniversaries of their life bed ones passing hard so I try to reach out to them on those occasions.

@Geekinggolf my son was on deployment (underway in the US Navy) when my brother in law drowned. They were close but there was no way to get a message to a submariner at Sea. All servicemen everywhere make sacrifices. Thank you for your service.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us GSwag, I know it can be difficult at times.

We lost our nephew to SIDS when he was 8 months old, and my wife was 6 months pregnant with our daughter. Justin was the firstborn in the extended family, and it hit everyone hard. He passed suddenly on my father-in-law's birthday, so it's a date none of us will forget.

It's been almost 18 years since he passed, and I always feel a bit down on the anniversary. I know my wife does too. Her sister will change her Facebook photo to one of Justin, and post daily about her loss for a few weeks. My father-in-law has refused to celebrate a birthday since, although things have loosened up a bit in the last 4-5 years on that front.

We all take things differently, since we're all different people. I've personally told close friends who know how hard his loss was (he was also my godson) that it's OK to mention it to me; I like talking about him and my short time with him. Bringing him up with other people in the family will result in all sorts of different responses. Again, we're all different and how we process loss is, much like Rev said above, a personal thing for every one of us. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

The first anniversary of my mom passing is coming up in 13 days.  I got a call from the hospital at 8pm telling me I should get there quickly.  It's 300 miles from my house, and I didn't get a speeding ticket thankfully.  My mom recognized me when I got there.  They were keeping her alive with drugs until I got there, and very soon her organs started shutting down.  She had been in a lot of pain for several years, and it was good to see her finally resting peacefully.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Thank you all for sharing. Life is precious and worthy of celebrating. When we loose some one the void left and pain that follows I believe help us to not forget. Tonight we had the family over for dinner and laughs. It was three years ago we lost my father-in-law to cancer. He was for me a great inspiration and I looked up to him sometimes in awe. I am reminded of him every day in something said or in something done. Then something else usually happens, I think about another and then another that once had a place in my life. So the circle goes, and then I find myself happy. Can't explain it, and don't want to change it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

GSwag, I am very sorry for your loss. I'm grateful my kids are all healthy. My mother passed 16 years ago, my mother in law 13 years ago on my wife's birthday. Both deaths were very difficult for me as both were wonderful women.

My father passed one week ago and was buried on Saturday. I love him dearly and was privileged to eulogize him. I am grateful for that opportunity and my faith that consoles me.

I recognize that suicide has a horrible effect on loved ones. I hope your family continues to heal and that the healing loosens the tie to the anchor of the anniversary.

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

GSwag, I am very sorry for your loss. I'm grateful my kids are all healthy. My mother passed 16 years ago, my mother in law 13 years ago on my wife's birthday. Both deaths were very difficult for me as both were wonderful women.

My father passed one week ago and was buried on Saturday. I love him dearly and was privileged to eulogize him. I am grateful for that opportunity and my faith that consoles me.

I recognize that suicide has a horrible effect on loved ones. I hope your family continues to heal and that the healing loosens the tie to the anchor of the anniversary.

So sorry for your recent loss.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

First I want to say I'm sorry to hear about our son. As to your question, I can offer the following. Time slowly heals the raw feelings and sense of loss. Having suddenly lost my Dad in 1997, it hit me to the core.  Then 10 years later, I suddenly lost my Mom; again rocking me with sadness.  While it sounds kind of hard, the adage "time and life moves on" is reality.  After the first couple of years, their date of passing no longer became a focus.  But that means absolutely nothing because I think of them all the time and relish the other adage "the memories will last forever". God speed to you and your wife.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I am so sorry to hear of this. i resd your articke and shed a tear.My sincerest condolences. As a father who has a 14 year old son, i always am worried about him in this matter hoping there is no hidden depression or bullying,etc that children often hide and not discuss.

I was mentioning this post to my wife and she and I had the same sentiment where people wouldn't want to keep offering their condolences for the fear of stirring up bad memories all over again. Doesn't mean they have forgotten.

I lost my mother when I was 27 and I cried and cried for weeks. Every year after that I cried on her b-day. 30 years later I just silently wish her a happy b-day. Life goes on and we each learn to adapt as time passes. It is inherent in us as death is a part of our lives. Again,I sincerely wish the best for both you and your wife. I admire your courage for what you wrote.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

Archived