Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Most Wanted Fairway Wood

gaussman1

What a pleasant surprise to see Tour Edge back on top with its Exotics line. Anyone who was around the business 10-15 years ago will remember what a hidden gem those were with the very first maraging faces. The only woods I liked better at the time were Sonartec (pause to pour one out for our dead homies)

I was shocked to see over 5 mph of ball speed difference top to bottom and over 11 carry yards difference from longest to shortest. Both of those numbers are pretty substantial, particularly when there were big names near the bottom of the list.

The comments were predictable, mostly some variation of "TLDR, but your results are bs." Tony must get tired of re-posting the "how we test" link

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Another great test as always. It is a shame to see ignorant people sounding off in the comments. I don't know how Tony doesn't get tired off it and go off at one of them.

Anyway, great test. I am a little surprised to see the Rouges do so well. I wasn't a fan of them. The TE isn't a surprise though. They make great clubs but are so underrated.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Wow. Great test as usual. I would love to take that Tour Edge out for a spin. I currently game the Rogue 3-wood and the Sub-Zero 5 wood. Both were welcome additions to my bag. The 3-wood is my go to off the tee when the driver just isnt geting it done, or when I have a tight fairway. The 5-wood is money off the deck, in the middle of the fairway. It makes those hard to reach distances a little easier. 

Taylor Made BRNR mini driver

Callaway Rogue 3 wood - Aldila Synergy 

Callaway Rogue SZ 5 wood- Project X Even Flow Blue

Sub 70 699 U 22*

Taylor Made M4 5-AW - KBS Max 

Ping Glide 4.0 Wedges 54* and 58*

Sub 70 005 Wide Blade putter

I really enjoy reading the comments, they bring a smile to my face. I guess people don't get his averages work and how one tester that has a good or bad day can skew the averages. Ideally you would be able to see all the data.

For me, I think the Cobra line was a solid product and I couldn't hit the callaway products very well. Wonder which were my best performers???

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Another great test and great to see Tour Edge on top. Be interesting to see how the testers like them in a short while!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I called the Cobra last week on Twitter, so happy to see it do so well.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Wow. Great test as usual. I would love to take that Tour Edge out for a spin. I currently game the Rogue 3-wood and the Sub-Zero 5 wood. Both were welcome additions to my bag. The 3-wood is my go to off the tee when the driver just isnt geting it done, or when I have a tight fairway. The 5-wood is money off the deck, in the middle of the fairway. It makes those hard to reach distances a little easier.

I wouldn't mess with it you sound like you have the perfect setup.

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

I was surprised to see the G400 towards the bottom of the list. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Looking at last year's most wanted fairway wood test...

Callaway isn't messin around...that's two wins in a row. Cobra is a close second. In fact, the only other FW test I can find on the blog is back in 2014...#1 Callaway...#2 Cobra. 

Ping is consistently meh which is a shame since their drivers, irons and wedges do pretty well. 

Titleist was at the very top last year, this year is more middle of the pack. Different testers, different swings, etc. 

Same Srixon FW finished 2nd to last in 2017...finished 6th in 2018. 

TaylorMade is usually pretty solid with their FW metals...not this year. 

The 2018 test showed a 5-7 yard increase in total distance and a couple yards more accurate than last year's test.

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

• SPY VIP

Stop for a second. This is how rumors get started.

We do NOT sell data to OEM's.

I really enjoy reading the comments, they bring a smile to my face. I guess people don't get his averages work and how one tester that has a good or bad day can skew the averages. Ideally you would be able to see all the data, but that is some yuk game that is owned by MGS and is obviously sold back to the manufacturers based on an image from a twitter post from one manufacturer. It contained more data than we see and the line in the bottom indicated something like the data was property of the various manufacturers.

For me, I think the Cobra line was a solid product and I couldn't hit the callaway products very well. Wonder which were my best performers???

#TruthDigest

Stop for a second. This is how rumors get started.

We do NOT sell data to OEM's.

Ok sorry. Thought I heard that. Feel free to delete my post if you want.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

A buddy convinced me to throw a Callaway 4-wood (16.5* loft) in my bag a few years ago and I'm a strong believer in this being the best decision I've made with a golf club in a long, long time.  I had major problems with consistent contact with the 3-wood from the fairway, and the 5-wood wasn't long enough, and the loft was almost the same as what the 3-irons/hybrids, etc are now.  So rather than carry two fairway woods that there was little to no discernable difference in distance, and one that I couldn't hit consistently enough, I stuck with the 4 wood.

From what you are describing above, it sounds like you might benefit from a setup like this as well.  The problem with the 4-wood idea is that there are very few fairway woods in this loft now.  Heck, I'm a PING guy through and through and they don't even make one in that loft.  From what I could find in a quick glance online, your choices are between Taylor Made and Titleist for the most part.  Not bad options, but I am not sure what I will do should my current 4 wood ever needs to be replaced.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

• SPY VIP

You said one of them mentioned this on Twitter?  Where is this post?

Ok sorry. Thought I heard that. Feel free to delete my post if you want.

#TruthDigest

Did you guys see this in the breakdown? SWING SPEED RANGE: 62mph - 125mph!!.

Please let there be video of the 125 mph swing speed with 3 wood. That is serious speed

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

You said one of them mentioned this on Twitter? Where is this post?

It is probably just my interpretation of intellectual property(the data) in the bottom of the post linked below. I assumed the names were owned by tee companies and that the data was owned by MGS. In my mind the bottom statement in the image implied that the data was sold to The OEMs.

https://twitter.com/golfnewlevel/status/1016356455945887745?s=21

It is probably just my interpretation of intellectual property(the data) in the bottom of the post linked below. I assumed the names were owned by tee companies and that the data was owned by MGS. In my mind the bottom statement in the image implied that the data was sold to The OEMs.

https://twitter.com/golfnewlevel/status/1016356455945887745?s=21

I believe the statement refers to the "product, trade and service names" of the various OEMs as the intellectual property - not he data set.

And the data shown is simply a reformatted version of the data that is available to everyone on the results blog

Did you guys see this in the breakdown? SWING SPEED RANGE: 62mph - 125mph!!.

Please let there be video of the 125 mph swing speed with 3 wood. That is serious speed

I am pretty sure that is driver swing speed.

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

I believe the statement refers to the "product, trade and service names" of the various OEMs as the intellectual property - not he data set.

And the data shown is simply a reformatted version of the data that is available to everyone on the results blog

As I said it was my interpretation. In the future I will refrain from posting interpretation on how MGS operates

Back on topic - I appreciate the results. I'd love to have more data as well particularly if there was a tester who had a bad day and skewed results for a couple of clubs.

I'm not at all surprised by the results. We've been pumping Tour Exotics here for a long time and Callaway and Cobra always seem to have good fairway woods out there.

Ping has never done it for me at 3 wood - too deep a face for me.

It's amazing to me how different OEMs have their theories of how to make equipment work and how their stuff suites differing swing types.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I think one of Tony's comment on the blog is spot on. When you find a 3 wood that works it will tend to stay in the bag longer. ( Henrik Stenson )

Not having to weed through all the marketing BS is good for consumers, and I don't think enough people appreciate the work that MGS does FOR FREE....

I heard about some of these brands before I found MGS, but actually reading reviews and seeing testing results is fun.

They are definitely flying a bit under the radar, and have a following of dedicated players, I am talking about the Tour Exotics. I would have never gave them a look before here.

I might now, who knows.

I have never found a fairway wood that works for me I dont kmow why. It must be a swing flaw. I have gone back to my trusty TM rescue mids now. I have the right driver, irons, now wedges and putter but the top of the bag not so much I dont have a club that I can hit 235-245 so longer par 5s ia always a layup for me.

Bryson DeChambeau

I have never found a fairway wood that works for me I dont kmow why. It must be a swing flaw. I have gone back to my trusty TM rescue mids now. I have the right driver, irons, now wedges and putter but the top of the bag not so much I dont have a club that I can hit 235-245 so longer par 5s ia always a layup for me.

I have “Henrik” for the time being. A SLDR TS 3 wood. It isn't going anywhere for a bit. Yes, it's name is Henrik.

I have “Henrik” for the time being. A SLDR TS 3 wood. It isn't going anywhere for a bit. Yes, it's name is Henrik.

Ohhhh the Tour Spoon...I like that looks closer to a hybrid don't you think...not as deep

Bryson DeChambeau

Ohhhh the Tour Spoon...I like that looks closer to a hybrid don't you think...not as deep

It's small, small, small. I love it. I put 15 swings in yesterday with it, just admiring the flight and sound. It has a wonderful (almost wood) thwack sound it makes.

It really makes a great fairway finder. Tee it up a touch higher and hit up on it... perfect rainbow.

Yeah, it isn't going anywhere. Might get a shaft upgrade and a paint job eventually but until it caves in its in the bag, unless there i can find something different.

I've had a couple TEE fw woods in the past and they are hit-or-miss.  Sounds like the model this year is a real winner!  The good news about TEE is that they are more of a boutique line so after a year or so you can usually get one at a really nice price....amazing how much people pay based on brand name (i.e. the Ping driver is so good this year I *must* get the fw wood because they have to be just as good...)

Cobra has made a tremendous comeback in the last couple years.  Hope they keep it up...

BTW - anyone notice Tommy Armour sneaking in the top 15 ?!?!  whoa!  not bad.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

For me I was actually shocked that Tour Edge was on top.  I had the chance to hit the 3 wood about a month ago, and granted when you caught it out of the middle it was a rocket!  The thing I noticed though was it was not forgiving at all on mishits.  I was using the same shaft that I have in my F8 3 wood, hzrdus yellow, so it would be a close comparison.  

I definitely wasn't shocked about Rogue though.  That is a great fairway wood!  It came down to F8, Rogue, and Ping for me when I was looking.  I just feel in love with the F8 especially with the baffler tech because my miss is to chunk it.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

So I got all hyped up reading this topics posts and went and tried 917 D2 3 wood hit it between 230 and 250 what price would be considered a good deal on this club used?

Bryson DeChambeau

Archived