Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Golf Improvement by Stats

I've been using TheGrint app on my iPhone for well over a year and today I decided to delve into my stats over the past 20 rounds to decipher where I should focus my practice sessions and golf lessons in the future. 

About me: 35, 5'9", 185 lbs. I hover between a 7 and 8 handicap. I have about 110-115 mph swing speed with a driver (using a Trackman with my local teaching pro). I used to play college baseball so I have tons of bad baseball swing habits that I've been working out for years.  

TheGrint keeps a wealth of stats that I want to break down here and get opinions on what might be the best way for me to reach the sub 5 handicap range. Below is my stats over the past 20 rounds (about 10 months).

Scoring

Handicap- 8.0

Avg. Score- 83.5

Putting Stats

Putts per round- 31.1

Putts per hole following GIR- 2.0

Putts per hole following Non-GIR-1.6

1 putts per round- 5.3

Driving Accuracy

Fairway Hit- 40%

Left- 27%

Right- 28%

Greens in Regulation

Total Gir- 30% 

Par 3's- 26%

Par 4's- 26%

Par 5's- 47%

Iron Accuracy (on par 3's)

Gir-23%

Under 125 yards - No data

125 to 150 yards- 40%

150 to 175 yards- 26%

175 to 200 yards- 0%

over 200 yards- 20%

Penalties

Total Penalties per round- 5.8

OoB- 2.6

Hazard- 2.3

Scrambling

Par Saves- 41%

Sand Saves- 27%

Bogey Saves- 21%

Putts per hole after Sand- 1.7

Putts per hole on Par Save- 1.6

Putts per hole on Bogey Save- 1.7

My initial thoughts were that the biggest part of my game that could use improvement would be my short game around the greens and then making putts inside of 8'. With the logic that most my strokes would be saved if my shots that miss the green could be hit closer and then the putt converted. However, after looking at the poor ball striking stats of GIR and penalties per round. I almost feel like lowering my shots hit into trouble and increasing my GIR would correlate to better numbers. Ideally, I'd have plenty of time to work on both but with a toddler to chase around I have limited practice time. 

I'm open to any thoughts or ideas as to what would be the best way to lower that 8 to a 5. Thanks Spies. 

:callaway-small: Rogue LS 9° Driver, X stiff KuroKage
:ping-small: G410 17° & 19° hybrid, X stiff
:mizuno-small:  JPX-921 Tours 4 iron thru PW, Modus 105 X stiff
:mizuno-small:  S18 50°, 56° & 60°
 :bettinardi-1: Single Stock #3 34.5" putter

2019 MSG Forum Tester- Bridgestone e12

2021 Callaway Epic Max LS Driver Test

I've been using TheGrint app on my iPhone for well over a year and today I decided to delve into my stats over the past 20 rounds to decipher where I should focus my practice sessions and golf lessons in the future.

About me: 35, 5'9", 185 lbs. I hover between a 7 and 8 handicap. I have about 110-115 mph swing speed with a driver (using a Trackman with my local teaching pro). I used to play college baseball so I have tons of bad baseball swing habits that I've been working out for years.

TheGrint keeps a wealth of stats that I want to break down here and get opinions on what might be the best way for me to reach the sub 5 handicap range. Below is my stats over the past 20 rounds (about 10 months).

Scoring

Handicap- 8.0

Avg. Score- 83.5

Putting Stats

Putts per round- 31.1

Putts per hole following GIR- 2.0

Putts per hole following Non-GIR-1.6

1 putts per round- 5.3

Driving Accuracy

Fairway Hit- 40%

Left- 27%

Right- 28%

Greens in Regulation

Total Gir- 30%

Par 3's- 26%

Par 4's- 26%

Par 5's- 47%

Iron Accuracy (on par 3's)

Gir-23%

Under 125 yards - No data

125 to 150 yards- 40%

150 to 175 yards- 26%

175 to 200 yards- 0%

over 200 yards- 20%

Penalties

Total Penalties per round- 5.8

OoB- 2.6

Hazard- 2.3

Scrambling

Par Saves- 41%

Sand Saves- 27%

Bogey Saves- 21%

Putts per hole after Sand- 1.7

Putts per hole on Par Save- 1.6

Putts per hole on Bogey Save- 1.7

My initial thoughts were that the biggest part of my game that could use improvement would be my short game around the greens and then making putts inside of 8'. With the logic that most my strokes would be saved if my shots that miss the green could be hit closer and then the putt converted. However, after looking at the poor ball striking stats of GIR and penalties per round. I almost feel like lowering my shots hit into trouble and increasing my GIR would correlate to better numbers. Ideally, I'd have plenty of time to work on both but with a toddler to chase around I have limited practice time.

I'm open to any thoughts or ideas as to what would be the best way to lower that 8 to a 5. Thanks Spies.

Personally, I would look at eliminating the penalties first. Are they mostly tee balls and the occasional 2nd or 3rd or pretty evenly distributed? That might give a clue on what to attack.

Of course, with my handicap, maybe you should just ignore me.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I suppose the first number that pops out at me is the 2.6 shots out of bounds per round. That seems to me to be high and a great number to target for dropping your desired 3 strokes.

To what degree could these OoB shots be attributed to over-aggressive course management? Are there tee shots where you should consider hitting iron to avoid the big number?

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Personally, I would look at eliminating the penalties first. Are they mostly tee balls and the occasional 2nd or 3rd or pretty evenly distributed? That might give a clue on what to attack.

Of course, with my handicap, maybe you should just ignore me.

Welcome to the internet, where two 15 handicappers jump in right away to offer advice to someone who would blow us off the course :)

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Looking at those stats if you just eliminate penalties you are there already. My guess is these are coming off the tee but not sure. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

The way I understand TheGrint stats. Penalty shots count 2 for each ball out of bounds and one for hazard shots. So it's like losing one ball a round and dunking two. Which isn't too crazy I think but I agree the numbers do add up quickly that way.

And about the tee shots, I do typically hit hybrids off tight tee boxes and on short holes where driver isn't needed.

I'm just looking for advice from all so feel free to give solid feedback. Thanks guys.

As a 63 handicapper I'd tell you now that you've seen the data to forget it for a while. I'm not a "datacratic" player. You being an 8 hcp player shows that you've got a fairly good game already. Chasing data isn't good for your game. Wasn't for mine. What is good for your game is playing. Play as much as possible and practice some. Play a lot - practice some.

And play competitive rounds as much as possible. I can't stress this enough. I don't mean tournaments necessarily.... but competition with your friends or other groups around your course or club. When you play golf play for something like skins, or a Nassau, etc. Always. Competition makes you focus. Beating it around and yucking it up on the course does nothing for you game. Believe it or not; you can play serious and focus and still have fun. I'd bet your scores improve. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

The way I understand TheGrint stats. Penalty shots count 2 for each ball out of bounds and one for hazard shots. So it's like losing one ball a round and dunking two. Which isn't too crazy I think but I agree the numbers do add up quickly that way.

And about the tee shots, I do typically hit hybrids off tight tee boxes and on short holes where driver isn't needed.

I'm just looking for advice from all so feel free to give solid feedback. Thanks guys.

The grint gives one stroke for the same one stroke penalties you get on the course. They also add .5 strokes for bunkers whether greenside or fairway.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Welcome to the internet, where two 15 handicappers jump in right away to offer advice to someone who would blow us off the course :)

I sensed the insanity of what I was doing while typing. I still pulled the trigger though.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

if it were me I would look at GIR.   Basically you are hitting 5/6 greens a round which puts a lot of pressure on your short game to get up and down.   Either you have a course management issue and are going after pins you shouldn't or you are a little wild with your irons.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

To tag into csnoil I'm thinking course management for sure -

Figure out why you're taking those penalties and then avoid them. Plus I'm guessing that you are taken by some non-penalty penalties. If you know what I mean.

I agree with your assessment to limit the penalties first, that may improve the GIRs all by itself.

Good luck

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

if it were me I would look at GIR. Basically you are hitting 5/6 greens a round which puts a lot of pressure on your short game to get up and down. Either you have a course management issue and are going after pins you shouldn't or you are a little wild with your irons.

Yes. I think Grint had me at 5.6 per 18. I think that's also the reason my putts per 18 was under the average for an 8 handicap. This was an interesting read I found from mygolfspy back in 2016.

https://mygolfspy.com/2016-report-overall-golfer-performance-by-handicap/

I think I'll discuss this with my local teaching pro and see if he thinks it's a management issue or swing issue. I'd still like to get that scrambling percentage up as well. Maybe attack it on both ends.

Again. Thanks for the feedback guys.

To tag into csnoil I'm thinking course management for sure -

Figure out why you're taking those penalties and then avoid them. Plus I'm guessing that you are taken by some non-penalty penalties. If you know what I mean.

I agree with your assessment to limit the penalties first, that may improve the GIRs all by itself.

Good luck

This.

Oh, and if you average 31 putts per round, you're a very good putter.  Give yourself credit for that.  

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

This.

Oh, and if you average 31 putts per round, you're a very good putter. Give yourself credit for that.

True but I think that's also a function of missing 13 greens per 18. You get more one putts that way.

Other than the obvious penalty strokes, it looks to me like better iron play would help a lot.  I'm not the best ball striker for my handicap, but when you have a perfect lie on the tee, iron accuracy on par 3's could be a little better, especially the short distances.   Do you miss left and right?  Short?  Probably the same for approaches on par 4s and 5s?

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Penalties and GIR.

I would be most concerned about hitting only 40% from 125-150. I would say work on wedge shots.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

My opinion is that you should work on your irons game. It seems you don't use them enough. Leave the woods alone for a round and play a round or two with just your irons, that should help with accuracy, and distance control, and that will help you improve your off the tee shots and better hitting those GIR.

Other than the obvious penalty strokes, it looks to me like better iron play would help a lot. I'm not the best ball striker for my handicap, but when you have a perfect lie on the tee, iron accuracy on par 3's could be a little better, especially the short distances. Do you miss left and right? Short? Probably the same for approaches on par 4s and 5s?

Agreed. TheGrint has me at 14% left, 19% right, 8% long and 33% short. Perhaps swallowing a little ego with the iron game is an easy first step.

Agreed. TheGrint has me at 14% left, 19% right, 8% long and 33% short. Perhaps swallowing a little ego with the iron game is an easy first step.

I find it fun to take different irons or hit different ball flights with a club to achieve different shots.  Be creative.  Learning how to take more club and hit a controlled shot is a great way to hit more greens and it's a confidence booster when you need to hit a green.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

If I left my driver at home I would be a better golfer. That's my only stat that is a fact.

Working on your short game is never a bad idea. In fact it is an outstanding idea. I spend 80% of my practice from 120 yards and in, and 90% of that is within 60 yards.

I noticed my mid irons were holding me back last round, so I put in some work with those.

I am chasing my tail really, it will come full circle someday.

Thank you for posting this! I feel that the community here at MGS is all about how do we interpret data and use it best to help us succeed.

If this were me, I would look at the stats of missing the green 33% of the time short and take an extra club with the iron shots, and then spend the majority of my practice time working on 125yds and in.  These are stats that many of us lousy golfers long to have.  Let us know which direction you decide to go.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I'm with a few of the others, penalties have to be decreased, and GIR needs to increase.  These are full-swing issues, so you need to work on your full swing.  Better full swings mean fewer balls in trouble off the tee, more greens in regulation with irons, better proximity on those GIRs, and easier up-and-down conversions when you miss a green.  I think you're right when you talk about taking more club on the irons, you're missing too many greens short.  You may also want to review other course management choices, aim at a  side of the fairway opposite "danger", pick a club to stay short of "danger", aim for the center of the green most of the time, etc.

I don't necessarily agree with concentrating on short game stuff.  For most players, improvement to a "higher level" will come about 2/3 from full swing factors, about 1/3 from short game and putting.  Your putting and scrambling numbers don't look out of line with your handicap, I'd practice that part of your game in "maintenance mode".  The bulk of the work should be spent on improving your full swing.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

• 2 weeks later...

Played 18 early this morning. My focus was on trying to hit as many GIR as possible. My goal was 9/18 or 50%. Below is my scorecard via TheGrint. Some notes from the round...

• Had three 3 putts on the front 9. Each one was from 30-35' first putt. My speed was off early but I settled down on the back.

•Still hit 4 balls into hazards. 2 were tee shots with a hybrid left and driver right. The other two were on the same hole where a hazard runs parallel to fairway with green opposite side and I dunked a 6 iron short then wedge short into hazard.

•I really focused more with my approach shots on hitting the green instead of thinking about my swing (which I feel like I've been doing a lot) and it seemed to work.

Still that's 7 throw away shots with 4 hazards and 3 3 putts. Got to get better. Feedback welcome. Thanks guys.

D296ED15-8967-4501-BC6B-93AB0D5E4035.png

Nothing immediately sticks out other than I'll take your problems and cut my handicap in half.  :lol:

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Played 18 early this morning. My focus was on trying to hit as many GIR as possible. My goal was 9/18 or 50%. Below is my scorecard via TheGrint. Some notes from the round...

• Had three 3 putts on the front 9. Each one was from 30-35' first putt. My speed was off early but I settled down on the back.

•Still hit 4 balls into hazards. 2 were tee shots with a hybrid left and driver right. The other two were on the same hole where a hazard runs parallel to fairway with green opposite side and I dunked a 6 iron short then wedge short into hazard.

•I really focused more with my approach shots on hitting the green instead of thinking about my swing (which I feel like I've been doing a lot) and it seemed to work.

Still that's 7 throw away shots with 4 hazards and 3 3 putts. Got to get better. Feedback welcome. Thanks guys.

Assuming the goal is scratch, you know where seven shots went. And I would guess that the other 3 came from missing greens and not getting up and down. I would again look at the GIR and Scrambling.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

4 shots into water and 4 doubles.  Are you hitting shots you think you can make or hitting shots you know you can make?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Archived