5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Everyone! I've been around golf basically my entire life but never got into it seriously until after college. I needed something competitive to replace my first love of baseball when I hung up the spikes/glove. I was fairly good at golf for the little amount I played growing up. Plus, I knew that I could play golf for the rest of my life as opposed to a lot of the alternatives. So golf it was! By little amount, I mean that in HS I would play 1 practice round in the spring before golf season started and would only play the school tournaments the rest of the school year because I didn't want it to interfere with baseball. I wasn't great at golf then, but did somehow earn the team MVP my senior year thanks to us having a down season. :P

Since picking the game back up post college, I started getting into equipment a lot and found this great place! Thanks to MGS btw for letting me do this review! I became a MASSIVE club ho for a few years and have since slowed down a bit, but still like to keep up with everything going on in the world of golf equipment. Drivers in particular are my weakness because they are the weakest/ most frustrating part of my game. Frustrating because it should be one of my biggest strengths, yet it is the most hit or miss club in my bag. My swing speed hovers between 115 and 120mph, but I generally hit the driver poorly compared to the rest of my clubs and have a 2 way miss with it at times.
I play mostly competitive golf and tournaments and having a 2 way miss doesn't get you a long way in those... Unless you mean a long way out of bounds. ;)
My rounds are usually in the southeastern US, as I'm from MS. So it's mostly hot and humid, but at least I can play year round. (Sorry friends up north). I generally hover around a zero handicap as GolfSpyMBP is nice enough to point out, most times. :)
I guess the best way to describe my ball flight and game in general would be a high launch, high spin player. I prefer to hit a cut or straight ball, although I can draw it when required. As long its not needed to be accurate! :lol: My miss is generally a slight pull/ straight ball when I'm playing well. Ball striking in general such is probably the strength of my game. Along with wedge play and short game. I'm a streaky putter and even streakier driver, as we've already covered. <_>My current gamer is a Tour Issue 2017 Taylormade M2 that is 7.8 degrees and 2.5 degrees open. I previously owned a regular 2017 M2 that was 10.5 degrees and I would set open/deloft to 8.5 degrees, but it never brought the ball flight down enough. The spin numbers were way too high as well. Since getting the new lower lofted one, things have been much improved though! Both were paired with a Diamana Ahina 80X that plays 44".
As you can see by my signature, most of my bag is set up to reduce spin/launch. I've also noticed that heavier is better, to slow my tempo. Which is why you see the strangely heavy weights in the shafts.

Alrighty then! Enough about me and on to what you actually came to read about!
alrighty then.gif
The ST180 and Mizuno drivers in general having been peaking my interest for a few years now. When this one faired so well in the MGS Most Wanted Testing, I knew I needed to give it a shot. Thankfully I was selected! The kind mods and staff of the forums gave my specs/ requests to Mizuno and a short while later, a magical box of golfing goodness appeared on my doorstep!
20180712_205030.jpg
Mizuno packaged it well and while the packaging wasn't fancy, it certainly did the job and looked very snappy when arriving. The signature Mizuno blue was immediately recognizable on the box.
20180712_205225.jpg
20180712_205241.jpg
Prior to the club arriving, I knew Mizuno was touting this as a low spin driver, which is also really forgiving. 2 things that I rank highly when talking drivers, as you may have guessed already. I wasn't particularly sure how I would feel about the blue head color going in. I had also never hit a Mizzy driver, or metal wood of any kind for that matter! I love their irons but the metal woods are foreign to me! I have no idea what to expect going in. Which I suppose is a good thing. It's always better to go in with no expectations.
Mizuno's tech includes:
Wave Sole- increases ball speeds through added energy transfer
Waffle Crown- waffle patterns inside the crown optimizes the cg for improved launch
CORTECH- Increases the COR area or sweet spot
Special Titanium face- helps increase ball speeds and forgiveness due to thinness in the correct places on the face

20180724_230308.jpg

20180724_230255.jpg

The specs I chose for the ST180 is the 9.5 degree loft. Which will probably be set somewhere between 7.5 degrees and 8.5 degrees if I had to guess. The shaft installed is a 80x Kuro Kage Dual Core Silver Tini playing 44.5," with a golf pride tour velvet 360 grip with 1 wrap.
20180712_205332.jpg

Once I unboxed the beast, I noticed that the blue head color looked sharp and that all of the paint work and designs looked very well painted and made. Something I can't say I'm surprised about. Mizuno always seems to take great pride in their products and said products quality.
20180712_205831.jpg
One thing that seems cool was the alignment design on the center of the club face. It almost looks like a golf ball has made contact there when you address the club. Plus the Mizzy bird of course!
20180724_222621.jpg
20180724_222636.jpg
The crown of the head has a small whitish line that runs around it as well. You barely notice it at address though and it doesn't make it look as though there is too much going on with it as you stand over the ball.
20180724_223033.jpg
I don't know about everyone else but I am not a fan of having a lot going on when I look down at a club addressing the ball. My M2 has about as much going on as I can stand and it was a learning process. :P

20180724_225320.jpg

I realize this is more about the club head than the shaft but the Kuro Kage Dual Core Silver Tini also looked very snazzy. I've always been a fan of Mitsubishi Rayon shafts for some reason.
20180712_205540.jpg
20180724_223408.jpg
I can say that so far I have been impressed with the finish and overall looks of the Mizuno ST180! It appears very well put together and while the blue is strange in theory, its actually easy on the eyes. Nothing about this driver screams gimmicky or tricked up. Just a solid piece of equipment that hopefully allows the user to hit bombs with it!
I also like the headcover. It seems sort of trivial compared to club performance, but I'm a fan of the look.
20180712_205647_HDR.jpg

Stay tuned folks! I don't have any numbers yet, but the first range session appears to have me carrying this bad boy longer than my gamer :huh:
Also, please ask me as many questions as possible! I'd much rather give you all the info that you want, rather than just some ramblings of what I think might be important!

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

Mizuno ST180 – Official MGS Forum Review by Undershooter30

I wasn’t able to play as much as I’d like during the end of the summer, but I did get plenty to properly put this driver through its paces. I even let my dad use it for a round and a half. I had a few range sessions using both drivers. Played a few casual rounds. And played 5-10 competitive rounds using both clubs. I was not able to get LM numbers due to my club’s pro recently resigning and him owning the LM that I had access to. I do however plan to get LM numbers as soon I am able to get on one. I will amend this post with them.

Looks

The general shape of the club is rather pleasing. It’s overall profile at address appears slightly smaller to my eye than my M2. It looks slightly longer back to front and not as wide from heel to toe. The graphics are very subdued and the white around the edge of the crown is hardly noticeable at address. I think the Mizzy bird as the centerline aim point was a nice touch as well. The blue color of the crown does not bother me and I think the color looks sharp. Those who are traditionalist should not be put off by the color after the initial shock wears off. I particularly like the transition to a black club face. This makes the face appear larger than it actually is. The “dots” or whatever you would like to call the markings in the center of the club face give an odd feeling of confidence to me. I believe it is because they almost appear as they are a ball mark in the center of the club face when you address the club.

Comparing this club’s looks to competitors in the market, I would not hesitate to choose it over other options. I understand this is personal preference, but I’ve recently owned and hit drivers from most major brands and I have to say that this one of the more aesthetically pleasing I’ve hit. I’d say I slightly prefer this driver’s looks to my current gamer M2. The white on the M2 does itself in. A fully carbon fiber head would’ve been the way to with the M2. I will also add that the new silver TMag M3/4 is even worse than the white. The white at least served the purpose of giving the allusion that the head was larger than it actually was.

(9 out of 10 points) (M2- 8.75 out of 10)

Sound & Feel

If I’m totally honest, the sound is probably my least favorite thing about this club. Well, other than the fact that is isn’t offered in a lower loft. I am not saying that I hate the sound by any means, but it isn’t my favorite either. This probably a testament to how much I liked everything else about this driver, than my “dislike” for the sound. The sound is not bad by any means.

People have been very vocal with how muted and “dead” the M2 is. This driver is louder than the M2 and does not have that same dead sound. It much livelier and a little more high pitched.
Personally, I like a thud or thwack sound from my drivers. Think persimmon head or even the old Titleist 905 if my memory serves.

It gives a somewhat hollow sound. I would not describe in it was a tink or aluminum bat sound but somewhere between that and the thud that the M2 produces. It does sound very lively and gives off the allusion that the driver face is hot or lively.

The feel is good. It is not surprising that surprising that Mizuno produced a club that gives a good feel and solid feedback. You know where the contact is on the club face through the feedback the club gives. Yet is does not over-vibrate your hands or feel uncomfortable if you mishit it. The feedback/ feel of this club is better than the M2.
Sound and feel isn’t the biggest deal with me. I’ll play whatever I hit best despite the sound. So it does not affect my mental game in any way. But of course, I’d rather play something I prefer the sound of.

(7.5 out of 10 points) (M2- 8.5 out of 10)

Range Performance

I am not much of a range rat. In fact, the large majority of my range time throughout the year is warming up before tournament rounds. The range time with this club vs my M2 is some of the most time I’ve spent out there since the spring.

When I go to the range to compare drivers, I warm up by hitting short and then a few long irons. Then I take my gamer and try to hit 2 of each type of shot I might hit in a round. First my stock shot which is a straight ball or slight cut. Next, a much larger fade. 3rd, a draw, which is not my favorite shot most days. Finally, I tee one down a little lower and try not to hit up on it as much, which producers a lower ball flight that is usually a small cut. The teed down shot is my “fairway finder” swing. Which should probably make more appearances than it does. All of these shots have the exact same start line and I always give myself a visual “fairway” in which the ball needs to land. Each shot my be executed relatively well twice to move on the next.

My M2 being spec’d at 7.8 degrees gives it a relatively low ball flight. It’s trajectory is flat and the primary ball flight is a slight cut. My general issue with this club is overcutting it. I cannot remember the exact specs but think it is a couple of degrees open, so turning it over can be problematic for me some days. Generally, I’m try to hit as far up as possible on it to produce ideal launch conditions since it does launch relatively low. It generally gets more roll out than any driver I’ve owned, which I attribute to lower spin than most.

My M2 usually accomplishes all of the shots from my drill or whatever you would call it very quickly except for #3 which is the draw portion. I tend to only be able to control a draw with this driver on my best days. On bad days, I don’t even try to hit draws.

After putting down my M2 and moving to the ST180, which I had set to 8.5* I noticed an immediate increase in ball flight and launch angle. My cut also started going dead straight, and maybe even had a yard or two of draw.
The stock shot was easiest enough to replicate. The large fade took me an extra try to two, mainly because I was used to it being easy with the M2. When we got to the draw, the first one I hit was an outright hook. Which is not something I had to worry about with the M2, unless it was a mishit toe hook. After realizing I had to do less to turn it over, I was able to hit the 2 draw shot quicker than normal with the ST180. The teed down fairway finder was also easy to do since this driver seemed to want to go straight. The fairway find also didn’t go nearly as low as it did when I teed down the M2, but this was as expected from what I saw in the other shots before.

Judging my markers and the back of the range, the ST180 was carrying slightly farther than the M2. This continued to appear to be the case unless I was really feeling my swing one day. And then the M2 would be right there with it.

Both of the drivers are equally easy to adjust. I am not one to mess with settings though. I find what I like and then stay there. If my swing is off one day then I try and find it as opposed to tweaking something with the club. I feel like this would only bring another variable into play.

Accuracy: somewhat equal. Maybe a slight edge to the ST180 unless my swing was on.

Distance: Carry distance is usually the ST180 but the M2 almost always rolled out past it. On good swing days(rare) the M2 would get it by a decent bit.

Trajectory: ST180 is considerably higher. When I try and hit it low it’s still a mid trajectory.

Forgiveness: ST180 is more forgiving to me. Balls out of the toe are similar for both. Balls high on the face I’ll give the edge to the ST180. Balls low on the face and balls off of the heel I’ll give to the ST180.

Control: ST180 seems to win here unless my swing is on. The M2 only has a 1 way miss which is good, but only if you aren’t missing big.

Workability: It’s easier for my to move it both ways with the ST180. At the same time, it is also easier for me to change trajectory with the M2.

Adjustability: tie because both are easy.

(17 out of 20 points)(M2- 16 out of 20)

On-Course Performance

I’ve now played quite a few rounds with both clubs. One full round I hit shots with both clubs on each tee. One round I alternated tee shots with each driver. There were of course, real tournament rounds where I had to choose which one to use. I also got to play in a few scramble were I was aloud to bring both and I would generally grab the one that I thought suited the job better.

The round where I hit each club on the same hole would lead to me hitting similar clubs into greens if the strikes were the same. No more than 1 club diff for either. One thing that became very apparent to me during this round was the misses. The M2 did not miss a single time in the left rough where the ST180 did. There were 10 driver holes. Both drivers missed 50% of the fairways that day. All 5 misses for the M2 were to the right. The ST180 on the other hand, missed 2 left and 3 right. All 5 misses with the ST180 were playable. 4 of the misses with the M2 were playable, with also 1 ball OB.

The round where I alternated drivers on each hole did little to teach me anything about each I didn’t know. By the back 9, I got to the point where I used whichever one I thought suited the shot better. More on this during the scramble rounds.

Tournament rounds were days that meant something to me, so I would always grab the one that I had the most confidence in. I was playing pretty well when this review began and I always grabbed the M2. I barely even thought of bringing the Mizuno. But as the summer went on, I was able to play less and less and practice was non existent unless I was hitting a few drivers for the review. I found my game slowly sliding away from me, and as it did I started switching to the Mizuno. The results were much improved as well. One fourball I played in at a local Country Club was very relaxed and didn’t have a 14 club rule. At the turn, I was hitting my M2 so poorly that I asked the Pro if I could get my other driver out of the car since there was no club rule. The difference was night and day. Immediately I hit the driver better! My playing partner even asked why I hadn’t been hitting that one to start.

Scramble rounds were maybe the most telling for me. I found myself grabbing different drivers depending on what was called for on the tee shot. If we didn’t have a ball in the fairway or in play then I would almost always grab the ST180. If it was a long drive hole or I needed to absolutely demolish a deep ball then the M2 made an appearance. If the tee shot required a straight ball or draw, then the ST180 came out of the bag. The tee shot requiring a fade would see me pulling the M2 to from the bag. When it was required that I hit one high to cover a dogleg or tree then you would see the ST180. And finally if I needed to hit one low, to cheat the wind then I grab the M2.

Overall, I believe that the Mizuno ST180 is an excellent performing driver. I’ve been able to hit just about all of the shots with it and it is definitely a great performing club in my eyes. It did help improve my scores on days where my driver swing wasn’t all there. I can’t say that it improved my scores on days where I was swinging my driver great though. I would be lying if I didn’t admit that my best 2 or 3 rounds driving the golf ball were with the M2.
I’ve always thought highly of Mizuno’s iron and wedge game but this driver firmly puts them in my mind when it comes to metal woods now. Previously, I would barely have given them a second thought.

The thing that I would like to change the most about the ST180, is that I would like to see it offered in an 8.5* model. I believe that this same driver at 8.5* opened up to 7.5* would be perfect for me. And to a lesser degree, they can tweak the sound. Although I care much less about that.

(36 out of 40 points)(M2- 35 out of 40)

Play it or Trade it?

Play it. I’ll be keeping both this and my M2. Yes, I’m aware that this is a bit of a cop out. On one hand, I currently have the Mizuno in the bag, but I can’t argue that my better days have come with the Taylormade. It’s best shots are better but it’s worse shots are worse. I’m sure everyone has noticed a theme that if I’m at my best I’d prefer the M2 in the bag. But how often is one at their best? Not the majority of the time, that’s for sure. One thing that this club has seemed to reduce is my propensity to have a “big miss.” Which is important in recreational golf, but absolutely vital in a tournament round where 2 shots for a ball going in a hazard or being lost may cost you the event.
This club is for anyone looking for a low spin driver that is both forgiving and accurate. Throw in its price point and I believe that it is a steal.

(18 out of 20 points)(M2- 18 out of 20)

Conclusion

TLDR: I like both drivers. They are very comparable. Both are long. ST180 longer carry and M2 longer total. My best was better on my good days with the M2 and my bad was worse on my bad days. The ST180 improved my misses, especially on my bad days. ST180 launched higher and spun more (probably due to higher loft), but was still very low spin when compared to other drivers with similar set up. The Mizuno ST180 is currently in the bag for those wondering.

Final Score: (87.5 out of 100 points)

Fjc6t7ml.jpg

*Record Scratch*

*Freeze Frame*

Yeah, that's me. You're probably wondering how I got myself into this situation. Well, it wouldn't have happened without the help and trust of the MGS Community, the MGS Staff, and most importantly Mizuno. 

A little bit about me. Name is Ryan. Been swinging golf clubs since I was 2, but am the only person in my family to play this stupid crazy game. Grew up watching my favorite golfer Tom Kite and wanted to play the game for real. Played for 5 years in high school, earning 3 MVP trophies, two first team all leagues, and competing against guys who would play at high level D1, D2, and D3 schools. In college I tried walking on at Oswego State and would have likely made the team, because I had beaten some of their players in a practice round there by multiple shots, if not for the fact my swing left me two holes into tryouts. After that failure I put up the clubs and focused on education and music, earning a Bachelors in Journalism right about the time the newspaper bubble burst.

I got back into golf the summer I finished college, then went to law school and joined a local league at my old high school stomping grounds. Why did I come back after such a public failure? Well, to prove that I could, to find peace. I never really fit in all that much and the golf course was the one spot where I felt I did. I'm happy to be back, and I can play to my 9 pretty regularly. However, with law stuff + girlfirend + limited cash as I gt my office up and running = less golf than I'd like. Mostly, I just wish I could be like my sister's cat Dunkin and not have a care in the world.

G2OGTWCl.jpg

Big Dunks just lounging around

Now, onto the golf related stuff. When I was younger I used to be more of a power player, averaging 275-280 off the tee and not giving a care in the world where it went. As I've gotten older (which is weird coming from a 29 year old) I've traded my power for control. Swing speed hovers in the mid to high 90's but I drive it accurately and keep it in play while moving it. I'd say I average in the 240-250 yard range on a good day and can crank it up to 270-275 if need be. Current driver is an old battle axe, but one I love dearly, the Nike SQ460. I was custom fit for this my senior year summer and it's never left my side. Everything about it feels right and the Mizuno is going to have to do some work to knock it out the ol' bag. If you and I were to play together, you'd find I'm more of a fader of the ball than anything. Also a bit of a high spin player as my swing is home made and I likely have a negative angle of attack on driver. Also in the bag, some Cobra One Length F7's from 4.5 iron to LW, a Tour Edge CB4 Tour 4 wood, and the old Nickent Pipe putter with more lead tape on it than you'd find in a roll of the stuff.

YNk6y1Dl.jpg

pictured, the two new friends, getting along... for now

I intend to walk you through the process here a little bit. Back after I was selected, first thing on my mind was getting fit. The nearest fitter was a good 90 minute drive but I decided to make the hike to Rochester to Big Oak and get fit. Here's a tiny test of what's coming in a later post in this thread about my fitting experience.

OdHCsYIl.jpg

Hard to read, I know. Nike Baseline, Average total Distance, 241. 219 Carry

So after the fitting, we waited for the club to arrive. Admittedly it took a while and I was getting on edge! I was so excited to try something new to allow me to retire my old faithful. I may have said somethings I regret in the PM thread. But, I took advice, cooled down, and the Sunday before delivery I got a sign from where else, a fortune cookie.

WBAsnWgl.jpg

Knowing that this was a sign, I went home and brewed some green tea. 4 days later, this little baby appeared on my doorstep.

zE1wkgWl.jpg

Now, it's time for that favorite part of all review threads, some picture porn!

9p4Hvtxl.jpg

zC7X91ml.jpg

HdPKlFWl.jpg

vrcChYrl.jpg

48KmbJcl.jpg

RbF7mNWl.jpg

And what does one do when one receives a new blue driver? Well, he UNITES THE TRINITY!

Gan0raJl.jpg

Bottom to Top: Wilson Deep Red, Bang Mellow Yellow 420, Mizuno ST180

After exploring the force that my primary color driver trinity had, I decided that since I has the day off, might as well take the old Mizuno out to the course and see what it could do. Now, Mizuno is one of the more trusted brands by most golfers, but I have no experience with their stuff. I look forward to see if this Wave Sole Technology, new hotter SP700 face, and deep CG lead to this being a longer and more forgiving club than my Nike, but time will tell. Here is that evidence.

CiNHqrJl.jpg

First Tee Ball

uqSfXLWl.jpg

No joke, first swing and strike

Sadly now, we have come to the end of this Stage 1. I've got a few rounds under my belt with my new Blue friend and am looking forward to putting it through its paces. Admittedly, I'll be focusing more on how it performs in rounds and gaming situations than raw data and numbers. Part of that is because I think it matters more as to how it does perform in a gaming environment, but another part of that is my limited ability both with my time and with the season to get out and play. I'm hoping for like 10-15 rounds (already have three done) some range, and maybe an LM session along the way.

I hope you've enjoyed and if there are any questions about anything I'm looking forward to answering them!

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

2eBdeL3l.jpg

MIZUNO ST-180 – Stage 2, Electric Boogaloo…

Intro

Well, the leaves begin to change in Central New York, we get apple cider in our stores, and a chill enters the air. The summer was fun, testing and playing some golf with Mizuno's ST-180 driver. I put in 7 rounds, a couple range sessions, a captain and crew tournament, and a final 9 hole head to head to see what this driver could do for me and my game. Again, a huge thanks to Mizuno and MGS for the opportunity, I only hope to have made you proud as hell.

For those of you who don't remember, I like my Nike SQ460 driver, it's been with me for over a decade launching bombs and hitting fairways. Will the ST-180 take that spot in my bag? Well, you can either go straight to the bottom, but I hope you stick around for pictures and comments along the way.

Also, I need to give a big thanks to my girlfriend Monica. She went with me for my final head to head in Dewitt, NY to take photos, even though she doesn't play golf. She's an aspiring photographer and if she can make me look good, well, she's going to be an absolute star!

D82rCdXl.jpg

She really knows my best side

Looks

Well, when I got this club I was almost ready to give it a 10/10 out of the box. After two months, and I can't say anything has changed. The shape is traditional and non-distracting. The typical alignment bird on top is not too large and helps you find the center of the face. But the winner here is that blue. Now, I understand, much like Keith Urban sings, for some people “Blue Ain't Your Color”, but for me it's a stunning look. Takes light really well and just looks good. Bonus points for the darker face on the club as well. It just lines up easy and is super nice to look at down by the ball. *chef's kiss*

(10 out of 10 points)

bE5PbrTl.jpg

EyY3LzOl.jpg

Glamour shots from the worst model in the business

Sound & Feel

#NothingFeelsLikeAMizuno, sorry, feels like it's required for any Mizuno review

So, this is a weird thing for me to judge a club on. As I said earlier this summer in the thread, if you're making a decision based on sound and feel in a driver, I think you're nuts, so obviously take my opinion here as far as you want. The sound is going to be what it is, I don't mind it. I like loud drivers (HiBore, NVG2 from MacGregor, etc) and this is a little less than those. Plus, there is so much that a ball can determine on the sound and feel. A softer ball is gonna feel softer, a firmer ball feels firmer.

Now, in my head to head I noticed something with my Nike and Mizuno, hitting balls of similar compression. The ball felt like it was compressing more on the Mizuno. Maybe it was the Wave Technology creating a better energy transfer, I don't know and this is near impossible to measure. Simply put, I like the way the driver sounds and feels, but this is such a personal choice I'm sure others have had and will have other experiences. The shaft also fits (if you remember my fitting post) but I still have a hankering to try that CK Orange in heavier weight The only reason it isn't getting a perfect score is the stock grip offering. I wanted to like their version of the Golf Pride and felt like testing it on this, but it never got along with me. Will be putting my Lamkin on for further play.

(9 out of 10 points)

kbZmHeIl.jpg

Putting the torque on it

Range Performance

Ah, the range. A place to allow your soul to be cleansed, to dig the issues you have out of the dirt, to find the answers you need.

My two major range sessions with the ST-180 were early on in the process as I attempted to find the best way to strike this bad boy. As with any club it takes time to figure it out. If you've been following the thread you know after a few rounds I just had no swing but was still surprised with results (more on that later). I was able to pull off my typical shots, cut and straight ball and even mixed in a bit of a draw. Now, I can't shape on command, but it wasn't like there was a lot of movement on the ball.

Now, it's time for an aside on the adjustability on this driver. It's your basic +/- 2* loft sleeve with upright settings. Stock offering at 9.5*, and I play mine at 10.5*. This lead to the driver sitting a fraction closed, as mentioned in the other reviews, but I was coming from being a fader. However, I felt like this slightly closed face helped me on the range in the following way.

Knowing the club wanted to turn over right to left, and quickly if not struck well, it make me focus on face to path control, something I've always had some trouble with. In a way, having that slightly closed face made me really try to keep the path square or deliver it in such a way to minimize the natural tendency. Some would say that's a flaw, but for me it helped me deliver a more repeatable swing, so mileage may vary.

(15 out of 20 points)

45gZ52Kl.jpg

Begging for a left kick... didn't get it

On-Course Performance

Here's what you all want to know. Would Mizzy be able to take the Goddess of Victory out of my bag. Well, it hasn't for the summer, because I carried them both since I normally have under 13 other clubs in the bag. ;)

Seriously though, The numbers to beat here are pretty straight forward, more than 240 off the tee and hitting an above average number of fairways.

The first big plus for the Mizuno is overall distance. I know this won't come as a surprise to most of you that a driver built in 2018 goes further than one in 2006. This is especially true on some mishits. There were shots off the bottom and all over the face with the Mizuno that would outperform where my Nike would end up on a similar strike by damn near 30 yards. The tech is superior, and that's no surprise. I was hitting shots on average from 15 yards closer by most averages. In all, big advantage in distance for the blue bomber.

LqcYlSMl.jpg

Bomb Ball...

Now, coming from a driver that you've played for nearly as long as you've been playing competitive golf and making a switch takes time. I was a touch more accurate with the Nike, but that distance benefit from the Mizuno had it edging it for use in the bag. Sadly hitting out of the rough with a 9 iron and the fairway with 7 is too big a change to want to go back. It was not more accurate than my Nike, but it was pretty good. It has taken some time to find confidence and because of that, and its slightly closed face, the Mizuno isn't perfect on course, but it's a marked improvement.

D41V0b2l.jpg

It can go sideways, but sometimes you do your best

Let's talk about my final head to head test. I played 9 holes at Tecumseh Golf Club in Dewitt, a course I've never played before. It was a crispy 55 degrees on a Saturday morning. The course called for six drivers. The final score driver wise was 4-2 in favor of the Mizuno. The two birdies I made were both with the Mizuno, and it was just longer and more consistent than the Nike. In fact, the two holes the Nike won were on mishits with the Mizuno, and the distance numbers were similar. It was all directional advantages for the Nike and that Mizuno didn't finish that bad.

For example, on the Par 4 3rd hole, downhill par 4. I hit two good drives with the Nike and Mizuno. Here's the picture from that hole. The Nike ball is in line with the wheel of the cart, the Mizuno… well, you see that circle.

gTS7Innl.jpg

Ball Goes Far... Very Far

As someone who has never played a Mizuno club, let alone a Mizuno wood, it has opened my eyes as a driver. The tech is solid, the look is gorgeous, the price is comparable and I'd stack it up against anything else on the market. The only problem is availability in shops, which I think hurts Mizuno from a woods standpoint. It adds another name to the continuing wood wars in my mind and will be another brand that I'd be happy to represent.

So, let's talk about overall performance on course. It's long, it's forgiving on off-center hits, it's good to look at, and it led to more birdie opportunities for me. The one thing it that it's a bit more wild than my current gamer. Obviously it'll take some time and some slight adjustments.

(36 out of 40 points)

OYPX5lDl.jpg

Always wanting more... always

Play it or Trade it?

So, in the end, what's the call? Well, it's in the bag for now. It'll be in my bag through the end of this season and for my final round of the year at En-Joie later this month. I will potentially look at maybe getting another shaft, probably that CK Orange 60 gram that I discussed in my fitting post that may work better for me and it will be re-gripped to help with club to path stuff, but I'm very happy with Mizuno and the ST-180

(18 out of 20 points)

(TOTAL SCORE 88 out of 100)

Conclusion

So, if you like your drivers long, forgiving, and a little wild and blue, go for the Mizuno. I know you here that name that irons are the first thing that come to your mind, but you're only hurting yourself if you skip on this driver. It's got the looks, the distance, and the forgiveness to fit a really wide part of the bell curve and still loved by the most discerning player. Well done Mizuno… well done.

zjfuRall.jpg

Happy to be of service...

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

SIK Golf Flo-C

Hi guys and gals! Super pumped to be reviewing the Mizuno ST-180 driver! If you pay attention to Most Wanted testing (and if you don't, you're crazy) you saw the ST have the longest carry distance of any driver in the overall test, which is a huge surprise coming from Mizuno. It's also a fact they want to make sure people know about!

100587_ST180_Instagram_1080x1080_HR.jpg

Driving the ball is one of the weakest parts of my game. I can hit the ball well if I catch it right, but that's a big IF. My best holes are often the ones I hit my 3-iron off the tee, since I can keep that in the fairway. My miss is usually a low hook, 180-200 yards or so and wwwwwwaaaayyyy left. I am working on a few things in my swing (better hip rotation and less forward slide) in order to keep the ball in the fairway more often. I am hopeful the ST-180 can help me to get the ball straighter and longer.

And the most important thing is that, I have finally found a driver to match my shoes! I bought a pair of bright blue shoes last year (on sale and super comfortable) but they don't exactly fit my style and tend to look out of place. Now, there is harmony.

IMG_20180724_151247.jpg

I'm a high school football coach who also grew up playing baseball, a bit of hockey and rugby along with football. When I first started playing golf seriously (in 2016) I had a major out to in swing and would routinely shoot over 100. Last year I was able to straighten out my swing and get more in to out, but still struggled with consistency. However by the end of the year I was down to a 17 handicap. I'm hoping this year to keep improving and get somewhere between 10-15. As I mentioned, my big miss is a low hook but at times it turns into a push as well. I love playing golf as it gives me a relief from life's stresses, some good exercise and a great way to challenge myself now that most of my athletic career is over. Last year, I reviewed the Callaway Steelhead XR irons. I enjoyed them, but did not personally think I did a great job of the review itself, so I am hoping to change that this year. Having a newborn last year did not help, this year I have a crazy one-year old, so she allows me a tiny bit more freedom.

IMG_20180724_104457.jpg

IMG_20180718_201538.jpg

My current driver is a 2016 M1 at 8.5 degrees. I was fitted into this at a high-end fitting studio just outside of Toronto (TXG's prime competition) when I won a twitter contest for a free fitting. At the time, my numbers were good, however I have never felt super comfortable hitting it and I often wonder if the shaft (an Accra FX 270 with M5/XS flex) is the right one for me (or just was that day). The only thing I know the M1 does well for me is spin reduction, which was high with my previous driver. I am hoping that the ST-180 can help me get a better launch and still keep those spin numbers down. During that fitting my swing speed was between 105-110, which was likely why I was put into the XS shaft, however I don't often swing at 100% so I am not sure I am getting the full benefit. I plan on swapping heads, swapping shafts and really being able to compare a great driver from 2016 to a great driver from 2018. For comparison, I'll be hitting the Tensei Blue 60 gram shaft in stiff, which is the stock shaft for the ST-180.

IMG_20180724_151207.jpg

IMG_20180724_104521.jpg

We all know Mizuno is well known for their irons. We just read an article about the JPX-900 tour irons, and now they're back-to-back US Open winners. But it's not often that anybody discusses their drivers. The Most Wanted testing indicates that this should change, and I am very excited to see if that is the case. Mizuno is pumping the Wave sole technology, which is supposed to have an accordian type impact on the face. The face is forged titanium which they have claimed is going to increase the ball speed. I am hoping to get on the GC quad at the golf shop in town to figure out whether or not that's true. Mizuno has done a great job of offering different shaft profiles for every golfer, and they are all solid. I have fitted myself into the stock option, but there is definitely something for everybody when it comes to this driver.

What I am looking for a driver is to get the distance I should be getting out of my swing, and to put the ball in play consistently. Whether it's the driver or the shaft, I am looking forward to seeing if the Mizuno can get the job done. And of course, I need to match the shoes!

IMG_20180718_201622.jpg

First Impressions

It's blue. Very blue and I'm not sure everybody can get behind that. I think you have to like it. I will say though, it looks nice in contrast to green grass when you look down at address. I have enjoyed the look of it so far. The tensei blue shaft matches nicely and I look forward to continued colour coordination. Between my Blue Jays gear, and my Maple Leaf gear (John Tavares anybody) it looks like the ST-180 can fit right in.

IMG_20180718_202049.jpg

The day the driver showed up, I was just about to head to the course. I saw a truck pull-up outside, and got lucky. We were starting on the 10th hole that day (which is a setup II hate at this course, because it means you begin and end with a par 3). My plan was to hit both drivers and see which one I liked better, well, after the first swing with the Mizuno, that plan clearly changed.

Screenshot_20180718-185816.png

Probably one of my best ever! So let's hope these results stick around, I'll try to keep my

swing together and make sure I bring you guys the best of what the ST-180 has to offer. I'll be hitting the range, trying to get on a launch monitor and really getting into the nitty gritty of what this driver can do. To put this guy in my bag full-time, I need to see an increase in accuracy and consistency. If I can keep the ball in good places, I can play well, if I'm in the woods, well we all know. Thanks everybody, and I can't wait to share it with you guys!

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Mizuno ST-180 – Official MGS Forum Review by newballcoach

Intro

Hi guys, it's been a fun summer for me (hopefully for you too as well) as I've been working my butt off testing this Mizuno ST-180. I have a lot to say about this driver and it's been a great experience testing. I have been playing rounds, practicing, and putting this bad boy through the paces. If you remember from stage 1, I discussed how driver is often the worst part of my game and that has changed as I have played some of the best golf of my life this summer. I hope to lead you through my experience with the ST1-80 and what's changed for me.

The big question is, can a driver that is not played by any professional on any major tour (I looked it up) compete with a driver that, although two years old, was played by tons of pros at all of the highest levels. Could the ST-180 stack up against the M1 from 2016? Well let's get it!

IMG_20180829_091337.jpg

Looks

I have had lots of compliments about the look of the driver and the colour. I definitely have been impressed with it and the blue I think looks great, especially contrasting the green of teeboxes. Most drivers are black, or some combo of dark colours, Mizuno hits a great spot in the market. However, it is different and not everybody is going to like that. The alignment aid at the front of the club does a great job of helping me line up to the ball and I like that it stands out as different. Does it look better than other drivers, I think that's a major question of personal preference.

(9 out of 10)

Sound & Feel

This is where I think opinions are going to start to differ. The sound is definitely louder and harsher than other drivers. When I make a mishit (specifically my low left pull miss) the driver is very loud, and is more than happy to let everybody know I didn't hit it perfect. The closest comparison I can make is to the clank of an aluminum bat when you really smoke one. I guess that makes sense considering Mizuno is also a bat company. When you strike it well, it sounds sweet, but I definitely notice a difference on off-centre hits. Check out the video I posted this summer if you're looking to hear it for yourself. Sound is not a huge deal for me, it doesn't bother me or mess with my mental game like it might for some people.

Feel is a bit of a different issue, although I think it is mostly shaft related (more on this later). I somehow feel like the head is lighter, and I have trouble feeling it throughout the swing. The ball feels great coming off the face and just seems to keep going out there. I am a big fan of how it feels.  When you hit this driver square, you know it's good and my results have shown that.

(8 out of 10 points)

Range Performance

IMG_20180901_120828.jpg

On the range, I'm part Dustin Johnson, part John Daly, and 100% awesome. On the range with this bad boy, I can't go wrong. I can smash straight balls, I can pull off nice controlled draws. I look like a million bucks, smiling while hitting my driver that matches my shoes.

I had some great fun with this club on the range this summer, trying to hit different trajectory windows and working the ball both ways. I saw a bit of success doing that, but I think most of my failure is brought on by my inability to do those things, not the clubs.When I hit in the way I wanted, I could hit more of a stinger with a low ball-flight. I could get that high draw. I could not however, for the life of me, hit a fade. I watched the TXG youtube channel review on this driver (linked in my stage 1 if you're interested) and they had referred to it as an “extremely fade biased head.” Well, there has not been a driver manufactured that I couldn't hook, and true enough, the ST is able to turn over right to left. ALL the way left. I really had to work to get that fade to happen, and often times would result in a pop-up from the face being too open on the downswing. I tried, but fades were inconsistent. Again, probably more my failure than the club.

When comparing the M1 to the ST-180 on the launch monitor, I found some interesting findings. I will attach a chart here, but I felt that what I saw on the monitor is not the same as what I saw on the course. Now, honestly, some of that might have been “beating balls in a simulator for an hour” syndrome, where by the end my swing was a bit of a mess and didn't get the truest reading on the ST-180. Now, the one thing I don't think was wrong was that my swing speed was slower with the ST than with the M1. That's 100% the shaft, but it definitely changes the numbers and means that, in my opinion, I was getting more out of the ST head.

I had a little bit of trouble with the formatting of my graph in here, so until I sort that out, here is a link to the results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NVWcSYURO7c2ih0SZ74sWtK-57tWAYOiZSP6rLbrhgw/edit#gid=0&range=A1:G4

I was happy with the accuracy the ST provided and really felt like the forgiveness was quite good on mishits. The adjustability I was not as happy with. You can only move the loft full degrees, not half. I found the 9.5 a bit high at times, but the 8.5 gave me poor peformance. I would have liked to see if in between (like I can get in my M1) would have been helpful. It was unfortunate that I couldn't 100% dial it in the way I wanted it.

Last comment is about forgiveness. I am not sure how much forgiveness this driver had. There is a big difference in distance between a great shot and a poor shot (which is a solid definition of forgiveness). I had a ton of trouble hitting the centre of the face. Now, as a caveat, I self-fitted myself for the Tensei Blue CK 60 stiff shaft, and looking back, I'm not sure that was the right choice. The shaft weight may have been too light, which was making it difficult for me to square the club face. So after looking at my impact tape, you might say I have had all forgiveness!

(18 out of 20 points)

On-Course Performance

I tracked my on-course performance using the 18 birdies app over the course of this test. While not perfect, it has a great price tag and gave me a good idea of where I was on the course and giving me some numbers on distance and tracking stats. While not all of these numbers are 100% accurate, they are useful to compare with the performance of my previous driver in order to compare them.

IMG_20180816_085742.jpg

I got a bit too much launch on this one..

The ST-180 for me was a Katy Perry song. It's hot and it's cold, it's yes and it's no. And all summer, at times it was in and it was out. When I could line it up, the results were fantastic. However, I found myself getting out of rhythm with the ST very often (this is likely due to the weight of the shaft and not necessarily an issue with the head). One hole I would smash it, the next hole (when trying to smash it) I would end up with a low pull hook.

I had 75 shots tracked with the ST-180 (and that is certainly not all of them). An average of 218 yards (low pull hooks guys) and a max of 312 (which is not at all correct but fun to say). I hit some absolute beauties, some great drives into some new and interesting areas I'd never seen before (namely the middle of the fairway). More than once I found myself hitting approach shots from places I hadn't been before,with new clubs, which is always fun. It also gave me the option to go for a lot of par 5's in two, which is one of my favourite things to do even if it isn't smart.

IMG_20180824_122506.jpg

But as I said, there were lots of poor drives, low hooks and some strange pop-ups I'd never hit with a driver before. It's hard for me to separate shaft performance from head performance, but I do have to admit I had a hard time making consistently great drives.I felt like the driver had hot spots which made distance prediction difficult.

When I compare it to my current gamer, I am not sure I can realistically say which one is better. The ST gives me those hot spot drives that are great, but I can't consistently rely on it. I loved the sound and the feel when I smoked a good one, and I loved being the last person to hit their 2nd shot. But when it went wrong, it was wrong. I did manage to play some of my best golf this summer with this driver (rotating in with my gamer) and it was fun to have that feeling of competency in golf for the first time. I was ONE damn putt away from breaking 80 and it's still haunting me a little bit.

I would say 100% that this driver has made me (and anybody I could convince) think that Mizuno is a player in the driver industry. I know that tour validation is a poor indicator of club performance, but it does impact some people. Mizuno does not have a single tour pro playing this driver, and after playing the ST-180 for a summer, I think I know why. There is a major hook bias in this driver, which is probably a reason no pros would touch it. I found it did a great job of reducing spin for me, and was able to stand toe-to-toe with the big bad M1 and at times, come out on top. I think anybody in the market for a driver should absolutely take a look at this head, however it might make sense to find a shaft that fits you well. The stock options will work for many, but I definitely feel I could have found some improvements with a shaft that better fit me. In the future I'd love to see a hosel with more options, and maybe even a moveable weight or two to help move the CG. Mizuno is kind of stuck with one driver that has 1000 options (the GT) and one with none (the ST), finding an option with more of a middle ground might help fit more golfers. As we all know, golfers love technology they can see and Mizuno might benefit from more in the ST and less in the GT, in my humble opinion.

Score on good swings 19/20

Score on poor swings 10/20

(29 out of 40 points)

IMG_20180908_110843.jpg

Play it or Trade it?

Honestly, this is not an easy call. I really enjoyed playing this driver and had a great summer testing it. Likely my plan over the off season is to try a few different shaft combos in this driver to see if I can maximize my performance a bit more. I think if I can fix some of my swing issues with this club, it can become a monster for me. I would imagine this club finds its way into my bag on a regular basis sooner rather than later.

This is a driver that can help any golfer, but particularly a high-spin player looking to add some pop and has trouble losing the ball to the right. I don't know too many people who couldn't use some extra ballspeed and yards off the tee, and they should definitely look into the ST-180 to help provide those.

(16 out of 20 points)

Conclusion

Can a Mizuno driver stand up nose-to-nose with a driver that had tons of play on the PGA tour as recently as two years ago? The answer is a resounding yes, it can do everything the M1 can and more. However, getting fit up with the right shaft would have made this a slam dunk for me. So should you test the ST-180? Is it worth the hype of a driver with the highest carry distance in this year's most wanted testing? Absolutely, you will not be disappointed.

Final Score: (80 out of 100 points)

WITB

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Hello everyone. First and foremost, thank you to MGS, Mizuno and the MGS community. I used to live in Summit County Colorado, and the joke there was that “you come for the winters, but you stay for the summers”. Like many here, I joined on the allure of some give away but have found these forums and the community worth so much more. A great spot to talk golf, travel and some guy named Rob's quest to own and sell every set of clubs ever made. So thanks to the whole gang.

j5Y5101.jpg?1

My name is Christopher and I reside up in the PacNW about 70 miles north of Seattle. We might have the best summer climate for golf in the country, our winter golf is more of a testament of your waterproofing abilities and lack of common sense. 

Golfing has been with me since I was a wee lil tike. Begging my dad to get me one of those multi-color Ping Eye2 golf balls was probably my first golf gear obsession. Next it was one of the Taylormade Burner Bubble drivers, then a Ping Sedona putter, then a....  you can all probably fill in the next 20 years with your own gear and ball desires to get to today which has most recently landed and Evnroll ER2 into the bag. Over the years Taylormade(x3), Callway(x1), Ping(x2), Cleveland(x1), Cobra(x1) and Titleist(x2) drivers have all spent time in my golf bag, and from that Burner Bubble to a Hibore Monster XLS. I have loved them all.

9S1CRtD.jpg?1

I golfed in high school, I golfed in the Navy, I golfed in college and now I golf after work. I grew up playing muni's in central Washington. I played Colorado golf in college and in my ski bum years. I spent 6 months playing resort golf at Bandon Dunes and now I terrorize any course along the I-5 corridor north of Seattle.

*Side note* If you have never played Colorado golf, please go book a flight to Denver, drive the 80 miles west on I-70 to Dillon and go play the Ranch course at Keystone or any of the other mountain courses in that area. Sure Pebble is pretty, and Bandon is windy but adding 20% distance to every club is way more fun and a lot less expensive.

QoropQZ.jpg?1

Currently I am either the best or worst 7 HDCP you have ever seen. I seem to like scores of 70-74, or 80-85. I don't like that middle ground, so basically whoever I play with thinks I am a liar one way or the other. I am 36 , bald and with a spectacular beard. Swing speed right around 100mph gets me drives of 230-260 yards depending on the day. I use an 8 iron from 150, a 56* wedge will get me 95 and my putting will eventually get me off the green. 

bU60X97.jpg?2

I am 5'7”, with a very compact swing. I play a straight to mild draw and can't remember the last year that I successfully took a divot. As a result I really struggle out of the rough with my shallow angle of attack, but when it comes to driving, that swing pays off for me. I generate pretty low levels of backspin, and with my current driver  I average about 17* of launch angle with 1700 RPM of backspin. This results in some high blasts and good drives that can reach 280y. My bad miss is a push off to the right from which there is no return. Many brave urethane covered friends have been lost while I plead with them to start drawing back to safety.

My current WITB:

3Mzfe76.jpg?2

The only change I am considering at this time is dropping my 3W for a 60* wedge. I love the F7 woods and Hybrid, I am sold on baffler. The Ping i200's replaced a set of Adams CB2's that I played for 7 years and I think they fit my game very well. Mac Daddy Forged wedges are as good as any other wedge out there and for me they feel great. Then there is the ER2, because I MGS.

You might have noticed the driver hiding in that bag, the best driver ever made. Forged with the finest of elven metals by the strongest of dwarves, quenched in purest of unicorn urine, polished by a Binford 5300 wielded by Tim Allen himself and then hand painted by Batman, the Ping G400 Max.

Why?! You might wonder, if I have the living approximation of a God Code cheat for golf would I even consider parting ways with it for the Mizuno ST180? Do I think that the blue roadrunner can channel its inner Clubber Lang and hoist the belt? Will a Wave Sole and a Forged SP700 Titanium Face best the G400's Turbulators, Dragonflies and tungsten weights? I don't know, but I intend to find out and let you all know about it along the way.

8IwxIUr.jpg?1

For this review, and the reason I applied, I want to give this club a test that it will wake up sweating about. A full comparison between what I consider the best driver I have ever used and the driver that wants to be king. I will be using K-Sigs, the launch monitor at the local golf store, the driving range and on course testing for this test. Stage 2 will be coming soon. Please let me know if there is something specific you want me to see if I can test. 

Ulbhc5v.jpg?1

QKegHtk.jpg?1

a5PQEjc.jpg?1

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Stage Two - The Review September 2018

MIzuno ST180 – Official MGS Forum Review by Thin2Win

Intro

Man, what an exciting experience this has been. I have had the Mizuno in my bag for almost 2 months now; it has survived 3 launch monitor testing sessions, 10 range trips and 13 rounds of golf. I have hit shots high, shot low, off the heel, off the toe sometimes even in the center of the club face. I have let about a dozen other people hit it and give me their instant feedback. I can tell you for a certain swing/ball flight player; this club can provide some huge performance gains.

I got fit for this club at one of the 2 main golf chains in the PNW, it was an experience. Since I knew which club head I was getting, it was really down to just finding the best shaft option available. Here is where a launch monitor wins out over wants and desires. I really wanted the Tensei Orange to steal the show, but it didn't. Getting fit for the ST180 was giving the fitter a little bit of a conundrum, and took an odd twist halfway through. First off I hit the 9.5 head with the Tensei CK Blue shaft in stiff. Launch angle right around 16° and backspin between 1400-1600 depending on the hit. Not ideal, either I needed more launch angle for that spin, or more spin for that launch angle.

This club showed right off that it is a very low spinning clubhead.

And here is where things got weird. I tried every shaft, but I was pretty sure that the Blue was going to be the highest spinning of the bunch for me and it was. So trying to lower my launch, but raise my spin was the paradox. If you want to pretend that a 13° launch with about 2200 rpm is ideal, I was in a bind. So this is where the unexpected came up.

I grabbed the HL head and set it to 12.5° and then threw the extra stiff Tensei White shaft. Neither option should be good for me on its own, but combined they got me to 14° of launch at 2100 RPM. The tradeoff was it felt like I was swinging a 2x4, I lost club head speed and 25 yards of distance. So I went back to the 9.5 head with the CK Blue shaft, turned it up to 11.5 and teed it much lower. 15° and 1800 rpm is where I got it to, and that was going to be as good as I was going to get.

Looks

I mean…

JMDe7kE.jpg?1

When first looking at this driver, it really is just a beautiful club. Obviously, there is some eye of the beholder to consider with that, but it gets attention. The blue is done right. It doesn't glare up into your eyes in direct sunlight and I haven't had any durability issues with the paint at all. At address the black face really compliments the blue on top and the Mizuno alignment target does its job as well and is pleasant to look at.

If I was choosing between it and every other driver on the market just on looks, I think it wins. I do prefer how it looks over my G400Max, definitely better than the old HiBore Monster XLS. I have never thought that the Turbulators, Dragonflies and whatever else the Ping has going on was a distraction, but the ultra-clean look of the Mizuno does give it a little more classic clean appeal.

It even matches my car.

zv6GGoM.jpg?2

10 out of 10 on looks

Sound & Feel

It definitely has both. I have posted a few sound clips of this driver during the reviews, I'll attach one here too just to make it easy for a reference. On the sound side, it has the same pitch as my Ping G30, but with the feel of my Cobra F7. This honestly, isn't a wonderful combination. I find it to be a bit hollow on both. I have one of those electric fly swatters, and the fly swatter wins on providing a more gratifying sound on impact for my ears.  

That said, I don't really care about sound and feel if the performance is there, please note the aforementioned HiBore Monster XLS which should have come with hearing protection and a paper bag to put over it instead of a club cover.. The ST180 does a good job of giving you feedback on hit location, it didn't mask good shots or bad shots, you know if it is dead center or a miss, and you know where you missed it. For those reasons, I think it does pretty well on feel or at least on feedback. If you like the very solid feel of the current Callaway/Ping/Taylormade I think you will find this lacking, however, if you like a little more ping and a little less thud, this could be right up your alley.

6 of 10 on sound

Range Performance

Living in northern Washington State, we have water and grass, so the range I visit keeps fairly healthy in the summer. The back tree line at it is~270y depending on where the tee line is set for the day and with my swing speed of right about 100, I'm never going to carry one to that forest. But with the ST180, I definitely hit some shots that rolled right into it. I could get about 20% of them into it. Good hit ball flight is more penetrating, more boring, longer rolling and with fewer yards on carry compared to my G400 Max.

VS

The adjustability on this driver is really good, +/- 2°, a great system, quick and simple. Even has some draw bias options, really just intuitive and easy to use.

The range showed me how good this driver can be for the right person. Lots of people on the range wanted to hit this beauty, and unlike me with a low spin draw, they mostly had high spin slices. This thing was a miracle worker for them. Using my VoiceCaddie I would conservatively say that people picked up 20-25 yards of distance and cut their slice in half with this. It definitely didn't cure the slice, but it visibly made it more playable. I've never seen a more drastic change in increased ball performance with an equipment change for the people that were hitting a slice.

Previously, I mentioned that with as low spinning as this is I had the loft turned all the way up to 11.5. The issue this caused for me was that the club head becomes very visibly closed at address. Compared to my G400, it is probably 5° more closed. Having a hook as my big miss, it was hard to get comfortable with and honestly, I never did. I have probably hit over 500 shots with this club at this point and looking down at it I still get nervous.

Closed to my eye:

sXjclOd.jpg?1

I found it to be incredibly draw biased. This is good for some, but bad for me. While I could hit some huge bombs with it, I felt like I had to try to hit a cut to keep it in play. If I just took my normal swing at it, I would hit 20% really good shots and the other 80% had me looking for a ball in the left rough/trees/barren wasteland.

On a firm fairway, the ST180 can beat my G400 on maximum distance by a few yards(less than 5 on best vs best), the average distance is significantly less. I often would hit the ST180 back to back with the G400, and swings that resulted in duck hooks with the ST180 resulted in normal drives with the G400. I found mishits toe and high to be incredibly punitive. Low and heel would result in playable second shot opportunities. On a soft low rollout fairway, the ST180 really lost distance for me with its shorter carry.

I have gone back and forth on if I should include launch monitor number for you all here, and in the end I decided against it. This club performs beautifully for a segment of golfers, and while I have hit some spectacular shots with it, I also have longer steaks where I snap 170y hook shot after shot. I felt like any number I put up would be a lie to you one way or the other. Either I would just filter the best and you could see that it gives good numbers on good hits, or I would leave them all and the data would be so all over to be effectively useless. But on the whole, it is about 400 RPM less of back spin than the G400 Max for the setup that I have, had I gone with the Tensei White or the Kuro Cage shaft that dropped another ~150 RPM of back spin off it, it is a very low spinning club. I have a G30 LST from a few years back, and this runs slightly less backspin than it does even.

14 out of 20 for Range Performance, for everyone that hit a slice 20/20

On-Course Performance

For 8 rounds of golf in July and August I tracked the Mizuno vs the Ping. I hit both on every tee box, alternating which went first and tried to hit the same shot shape with each depending on what the hole needed. For 4 interesting rounds, I only played the ST180 in effort to fully focus on it.

Best Drive, 305y let me go for this Par 5 in two.

gg5tk2k.jpg?1

Slightly hard to see but got the front left edge of the green, 2 putt birdie.

OLP7G6c.jpg?1

In the rounds that I played both drivers, the G400s average distance using a laser back to the tee was 256y with my single best being 296y and my worst being 225y. With the ST180 my longest went up to 305y, average fell to 233y and worst was 170y. With the ST180 a few snap hooks in a round and I would start to over compensate, and then fire off a couple blocked pushes. While my Ping only holds a 57% fairway hit percentage, the ST180 came in at 24%. So on average, I was hitting half the fairways and 20y further from the flag with the ST180. And that doesn't factor in OB shots, I hit 3 lost/OB shots with the Ping in those rounds, I hit 11 with the Mizuno.

My home course has 9 - 11 holes that are driver off the tee depending on the day (it has three 9 hole tracks that rotate which two are in play). In the 8 rounds that I played both from the tee, the better of the two was:

Mizuno 5 - Ping 4

Mizuno 2 - Ping 9

Mizuno 3 - Ping 8

Mizuno 1 - Ping 8

Mizuno 5 - Ping 5

Mizuno 1 - Ping 9

Mizuno 4 - Ping 7

Mizuno 3 - Ping 6

In total the Ping beat out the Mizuno 56 to 24 in my on the course testing, with 8 less lost/OB balls. I also made a note when either club won by being what I considered a significantly better shot. My criterion for that was 2 clubs closer to the green or by not hitting 3 off the tee. Of the 56 Ping wins, 33 of them fit into that category, for the Mizuno only 7 claimed what I considered a significant advantage.

28 out of 40 for On Course Performance

Play it or Trade it?

If you have taken the time to read this far, you can tell this isn't the club for me. Unless I can wakeup with a good kink in my back that changes me into a slicer, this club will not make my bag.

10 out of 20 for Keep or Trade, again, if I played a slice 20/20

Conclusion

This is a beautiful, low spinning, easy to adjust club. The alignment, look, fit and finish are all tops. If I played a slice like so many of the people that I let try this club, I might have kicked my wife out of bed so that it could stay warm at night. But playing a draw, I couldn't find the consistency or confidence in it.  

Final Score: (68 out of 100 points)

WITB:

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Stage 1 is up, after some wait the ST180s have arrived and already have a few rounds in with it. Let me know if I can answer any questions for you. 

WITB:

Stage 1 is up, after some wait the ST180s have arrived and already have a few rounds in with it. Let me know if I can answer any questions for you. 

Those are some awesome pics, great start! Based on everything that's been said about the G400 it looks like you'll have a real dog fight on your hands. Let us know how the consistency and dispersion varies between the two big dogs.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Great start Thin2win, do you have the two drivers set the same and were you fitted for them?

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

Aside from the Ping G400 test, this is the one I'm really interested in and my hate for you guys being picked and not me is diminishing.  :D

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Great start Thin2win, do you have the two drivers set the same and were you fitted for them?

I was fit for both at the local golf store, but they are not setup the same. G400 is @ 44.5" 10* with the alta cb stiff. The ST180 is also @ 44.5", but with 11.5* and a Tensei blue shaft in stiff.

With as low spinning as the ST180 is, I needed more loft on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Great start Thin. Like MattF I was bummed to not be picked for this test as I've heard such great things about this Mizuno offering after years of them being a little further down the list of wanted drivers.

Nice pics too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Great start! I love the matte-ish blue finish.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Oh man, Stage 1 is up! Also, anyway we can get a pinning from the Mods?

SIK Golf Flo-C

Looking good guys! Anxious for part 2.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Well done! I always like to see it when a tester is happy with the club(s) that might get replaced. That tells me the new club has to be special to displace something that is well liked.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

KILLER Stage 1! Love the enthusiasm. I'll definitely be interested to see what sorts of gains you might see on both distance and dispersion moving to much newer tech.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Looking good fellas... what the heck does low fat whole wheat green tea even mean Rick?

No idea Shanks, no idea. That's not edited btw, that was a real message from my fortune cookie.

SIK Golf Flo-C

Really interested in this one. I had a hit of an ST180 a couple of weeks ago, and was very impressed. It was at a demo day, and the Mizuno rep really knew his stuff, which helped. He put me straight into the Tensei White in stiff after using the shaft optimiser and a session hitting JPX900 Tours with the suggested shafts.  It felt great, and results were impressive. 

Enjoy the process, and the drivers.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

What kind of results are you getting when you catch it low on the face?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Hi guys! I have my stage 1 review up now. Already had a chance to hit this club a bit and it is definitely fun. I am really hoping this can be the driver that makes me like to hit driver.

And although there wasn't really space for it in my review, here's a link to TXG reviewing the ST-180. I can't 100% verify what they say, but I can certainly see a few things happening already.

WITB

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

You might have noticed the driver hiding in that bag, the best driver ever made. Forged with the finest of elven metals by the strongest of dwarves, quenched in purest of unicorn urine, polished by a Binford 5300 wielded by Tim Allen himself and then hand painted by Batman, the Ping G400 Max.

Why?! You might wonder, if I have the living approximation of a God Code cheat for golf would I even consider parting ways with it for the Mizuno ST180? Do I think that the blue roadrunner can channel its inner Clubber Lang and hoist the belt? Will a Wave Sole and a Forged SP700 Titanium Face best the G400's Turbulators, Dragonflies and tungsten weights? I don't know, but I intend to find out and let you all know about it along the way.

8IwxIUr.jpg?1

For this review, and the reason I applied, I want to give this club a test that it will wake up sweating about. A full comparison between what I consider the best driver I have ever used and the driver that wants to be king. I will be using K-Sigs, the launch monitor at the local golf store, the driving range and on course testing for this test. Stage 2 will be coming soon. Please let me know if there is something specific you want me to see if I can test. 

Ulbhc5v.jpg?1

QKegHtk.jpg?1

The G400 is going to be a tough head to head!!!

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

Nice job everyone thus far.

&Bergatur - love your cat and I went to Ithaca college - wore you guys out in baseball. :)

I actually got to play in games against Oswego State. Great school, beautiful place. Upstate is gorgeous.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Nice job everyone thus far.

&Bergatur - love your cat and I went to Ithaca college - wore you guys out in baseball. :)

I actually got to play in games against Oswego State. Great school, beautiful place. Upstate is gorgeous.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Not wrong, we got Hockey and that's about it.

SIK Golf Flo-C

Bump for my stage 1 being up!

Please ask any and all questions possible. I want to know what the people want to learn about this thing!

Archived