Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Mizuno ST180 Driver

hckymeyer

Played today... like crap, but really gave a test of driver forgiveness since I couldn't find middle if you paid me. Interesting results that were mostly positive.

I hit the ST180 much better than my M2 if my swing is off. It could be the extra loft, but it is definitely easier to hit for some reason. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very cool video's!  Which ShotTracer app are you using?

-- P.J.

Went out too the driving range yesterday with my trusty VoiceCaddie and the combatants. Used the ShotTracer app on my phone and my wifes slightly less than steady hands to take some videos of the two. These were the two best ones, and the Crow laughing really adds to the sound track. 

G400 Max:

ST180:

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
:srixon-small: ZX 3W
:cobra-small: RadSpeed 3-hybrid
:taylormade-small: P790 (2021) irons (4-PW)
635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  CBX-2 GW, SW & LW
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour DIVIDE / image.png.5c73aa0e191520c63e4a7567ea08cf4a.pngTour -  image.png.70e0eeb259be4d89842e31955c4a2f83.png
image.png.01a298ec5595cfbe94cf034d738c10fd.png Revolver XL
image.png1500Li Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder / image.png.e9071b3377299921b87f929d3e042fa6.png S20 GPS Watch
image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png + Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy   usafa.png.fb60aa7a77f130b1057160837c0a4a29.png

image.png

image.png

I'm watching this thread with renewed interest.  I did the MyGolfSpy 'TrueFit' app and it recommended the Mizuno ST180. 

Nice intro's and information - keep it up and thank you!

-- P.J.

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
:srixon-small: ZX 3W
:cobra-small: RadSpeed 3-hybrid
:taylormade-small: P790 (2021) irons (4-PW)
635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  CBX-2 GW, SW & LW
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour DIVIDE / image.png.5c73aa0e191520c63e4a7567ea08cf4a.pngTour -  image.png.70e0eeb259be4d89842e31955c4a2f83.png
image.png.01a298ec5595cfbe94cf034d738c10fd.png Revolver XL
image.png1500Li Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder / image.png.e9071b3377299921b87f929d3e042fa6.png S20 GPS Watch
image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png + Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy   usafa.png.fb60aa7a77f130b1057160837c0a4a29.png

image.png

image.png

I'm watching this thread with renewed interest.  I did the MyGolfSpy 'TrueFit' app and it recommended the Mizuno ST180. 

-- P.J.

Hopefully we can give you something to think about, look for all the stage 2's within a few weeks. Sneak preview, club make ball go far.

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I'm watching this thread with renewed interest. I did the MyGolfSpy 'TrueFit' app and it recommended the Mizuno ST180.

-- P.J.

I'm using the "ShotTracer Camera" app.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Hey everyone, Stage 2's are coming from us soon. As a matter of fact, I'm going for my new updated final test this Sunday. I'm looking at playing the same 9 hole course twice, once with my Nike, once with ol' Mizzy. My girlfriend, aspring photograhper should be joining me for some action shots and maybe I might do a video wrap-up if I can find the time.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Hello all, STG 2 is up. Let me know if there is anything else I can give feedback on. 

WITB:

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Hello all, STG 2 is up. Let me know if there is anything else I can give feedback on. 

Thin2Win - would you be up for sending it my way to put up against my G LST?  We have about the same swing characteristics except I do slice.  I would be willing to cover shipping and adding my review to this thread.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

Thin2Win - would you be up for sending it my way to put up against my G LST? We have about the same swing characteristics except I do slice. I would be willing to cover shipping and adding my review to this thread.

I'll be starting a different thread soon for the purpose of finding this club a new home. So keep an eye out for that.

WITB:

Thanks for the stage 2 Thin...I think I have the same dilemma but with a different club, only time will tell.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Stage 1 is up, after some wait the ST180s have arrived and already have a few rounds in with it. Let me know if I can answer any questions for you. 

Alright, the driving range in stage 2 was at Eaglemont, and your home course is Avalon.. am i right??? I'm sorry the club was not for you. it does look amazing.. Great stage posts.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Alright, the driving range in stage 2 was at Eaglemont, and your home course is Avalon.. am i right??? I'm sorry the club was not for you. it does look amazing.. Great stage posts..

You sir are an official spy.

I love my G400, so if was going to take that spot in the bag it was going to have to have some serious game. And it really does, just not my kind of game.

WITB:

Round today, photos getting an edit... Stage 2 soon

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

SIK Golf Flo-C

Hey guys! My Stage 2 is up now. Feel free to ask me any questions you have. I had a really love/hate relationship with this club this summer, but if you are looking for a club to help you go left, the Mizuno is it!

WITB

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Hey guys! My Stage 2 is up now. Feel free to ask me any questions you have. I had a really love/hate relationship with this club this summer, but if you are looking for a club to help you go left, the Mizuno is it!

Wow, we had almost the same experience with this club. A monster when it worked, but a club that wanted the ball to go left, left and more left until you make a swing change and push it off to the right.

I believe the majority of golfers still slice the ball, and I think this club should be on every one of those players short list of clubs to try.

WITB:

Wow, we had almost the same experience with this club. A monster when it worked, but a club that wanted the ball to go left, left and more left until you make a swing change and push it off to the right.

I believe the majority of golfers still slice the ball, and I think this club should be on every one of those players short list of clubs to try.

I read your review after posting mine (didn't want to read it before to colour my assessment) and I laughed a few times because of the similar experience. I feel a little bit better knowing it wasn't just me. I second the statement that it should be a must test for anybody in the driver market

WITB

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Mizuno ST-180 – Official MGS Forum Review by newballcoach

Intro

Hi guys, it's been a fun summer for me (hopefully for you too as well) as I've been working my butt off testing this Mizuno ST-180. I have a lot to say about this driver and it's been a great experience testing. I have been playing rounds, practicing, and putting this bad boy through the paces. If you remember from stage 1, I discussed how driver is often the worst part of my game and that has changed as I have played some of the best golf of my life this summer. I hope to lead you through my experience with the ST1-80 and what's changed for me.

The big question is, can a driver that is not played by any professional on any major tour (I looked it up) compete with a driver that, although two years old, was played by tons of pros at all of the highest levels. Could the ST-180 stack up against the M1 from 2016? Well let's get it!

attachicon.gif IMG_20180829_091337.jpg

Looks

I have had lots of compliments about the look of the driver and the colour. I definitely have been impressed with it and the blue I think looks great, especially contrasting the green of teeboxes. Most drivers are black, or some combo of dark colours, Mizuno hits a great spot in the market. However, it is different and not everybody is going to like that. The alignment aid at the front of the club does a great job of helping me line up to the ball and I like that it stands out as different. Does it look better than other drivers, I think that's a major question of personal preference.

(9 out of 10)

Sound & Feel

This is where I think opinions are going to start to differ. The sound is definitely louder and harsher than other drivers. When I make a mishit (specifically my low left pull miss) the driver is very loud, and is more than happy to let everybody know I didn't hit it perfect. The closest comparison I can make is to the clank of an aluminum bat when you really smoke one. I guess that makes sense considering Mizuno is also a bat company. When you strike it well, it sounds sweet, but I definitely notice a difference on off-centre hits. Check out the video I posted this summer if you're looking to hear it for yourself. Sound is not a huge deal for me, it doesn't bother me or mess with my mental game like it might for some people.

Feel is a bit of a different issue, although I think it is mostly shaft related (more on this later). I somehow feel like the head is lighter, and I have trouble feeling it throughout the swing. The ball feels great coming off the face and just seems to keep going out there. I am a big fan of how it feels. When you hit this driver square, you know it's good and my results have shown that.

(8 out of 10 points)

Range Performance

attachicon.gif IMG_20180901_120828.jpg

On the range, I'm part Dustin Johnson, part John Daly, and 100% awesome. On the range with this bad boy, I can't go wrong. I can smash straight balls, I can pull off nice controlled draws. I look like a million bucks, smiling while hitting my driver that matches my shoes.

I had some great fun with this club on the range this summer, trying to hit different trajectory windows and working the ball both ways. I saw a bit of success doing that, but I think most of my failure is brought on by my inability to do those things, not the clubs.When I hit in the way I wanted, I could hit more of a stinger with a low ball-flight. I could get that high draw. I could not however, for the life of me, hit a fade. I watched the TXG youtube channel review on this driver (linked in my stage 1 if you're interested) and they had referred to it as an “extremely fade biased head.” Well, there has not been a driver manufactured that I couldn't hook, and true enough, the ST is able to turn over right to left. ALL the way left. I really had to work to get that fade to happen, and often times would result in a pop-up from the face being too open on the downswing. I tried, but fades were inconsistent. Again, probably more my failure than the club.

When comparing the M1 to the ST-180 on the launch monitor, I found some interesting findings. I will attach a chart here, but I felt that what I saw on the monitor is not the same as what I saw on the course. Now, honestly, some of that might have been “beating balls in a simulator for an hour” syndrome, where by the end my swing was a bit of a mess and didn't get the truest reading on the ST-180. Now, the one thing I don't think was wrong was that my swing speed was slower with the ST than with the M1. That's 100% the shaft, but it definitely changes the numbers and means that, in my opinion, I was getting more out of the ST head.

I had a little bit of trouble with the formatting of my graph in here, so until I sort that out, here is a link to the results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NVWcSYURO7c2ih0SZ74sWtK-57tWAYOiZSP6rLbrhgw/edit#gid=0&range=A1:G4

I was happy with the accuracy the ST provided and really felt like the forgiveness was quite good on mishits. The adjustability I was not as happy with. You can only move the loft full degrees, not half. I found the 9.5 a bit high at times, but the 8.5 gave me poor peformance. I would have liked to see if in between (like I can get in my M1) would have been helpful. It was unfortunate that I couldn't 100% dial it in the way I wanted it.

Last comment is about forgiveness. I am not sure how much forgiveness this driver had. There is a big difference in distance between a great shot and a poor shot (which is a solid definition of forgiveness). I had a ton of trouble hitting the centre of the face. Now, as a caveat, I self-fitted myself for the Tensei Blue CK 60 stiff shaft, and looking back, I'm not sure that was the right choice. The shaft weight may have been too light, which was making it difficult for me to square the club face. So after looking at my impact tape, you might say I have had all forgiveness!

(18 out of 20 points)

On-Course Performance

I tracked my on-course performance using the 18 birdies app over the course of this test. While not perfect, it has a great price tag and gave me a good idea of where I was on the course and giving me some numbers on distance and tracking stats. While not all of these numbers are 100% accurate, they are useful to compare with the performance of my previous driver in order to compare them.

attachicon.gif IMG_20180816_085742.jpg

I got a bit too much launch on this one..

The ST-180 for me was a Katy Perry song. It's hot and it's cold, it's yes and it's no. And all summer, at times it was in and it was out. When I could line it up, the results were fantastic. However, I found myself getting out of rhythm with the ST very often (this is likely due to the weight of the shaft and not necessarily an issue with the head). One hole I would smash it, the next hole (when trying to smash it) I would end up with a low pull hook.

I had 75 shots tracked with the ST-180 (and that is certainly not all of them). An average of 218 yards (low pull hooks guys) and a max of 312 (which is not at all correct but fun to say). I hit some absolute beauties, some great drives into some new and interesting areas I'd never seen before (namely the middle of the fairway). More than once I found myself hitting approach shots from places I hadn't been before,with new clubs, which is always fun. It also gave me the option to go for a lot of par 5's in two, which is one of my favourite things to do even if it isn't smart.

attachicon.gif IMG_20180824_122506.jpg

But as I said, there were lots of poor drives, low hooks and some strange pop-ups I'd never hit with a driver before. It's hard for me to separate shaft performance from head performance, but I do have to admit I had a hard time making consistently great drives.I felt like the driver had hot spots which made distance prediction difficult.

When I compare it to my current gamer, I am not sure I can realistically say which one is better. The ST gives me those hot spot drives that are great, but I can't consistently rely on it. I loved the sound and the feel when I smoked a good one, and I loved being the last person to hit their 2nd shot. But when it went wrong, it was wrong. I did manage to play some of my best golf this summer with this driver (rotating in with my gamer) and it was fun to have that feeling of competency in golf for the first time. I was ONE damn putt away from breaking 80 and it's still haunting me a little bit.

I would say 100% that this driver has made me (and anybody I could convince) think that Mizuno is a player in the driver industry. I know that tour validation is a poor indicator of club performance, but it does impact some people. Mizuno does not have a single tour pro playing this driver, and after playing the ST-180 for a summer, it might help some. Now, I found a major hook dias in this driver, which is probably a reason no pros would touch it. I found it did a great job of reducing spin for me, and was able to stand toe-to-toe with the big bad M1 and at times, come out on top. I think anybody in the market for a driver should absolutely take a look at this head, however it might make sense to find a shaft that fits you well. The stock options will work for many, but I definitely feel I could have found some improvements with a shaft that better fit me. In the future I'd love to see a hosel with more options, and maybe even a moveable weight or two to help move the CG. Mizuno is kind of stuck with one driver that has 1000 options (the GT) and one with none (the ST), finding an option with more of a middle ground might help fit more golfers. As we all know, golfers love technology they can see and Mizuno might benefit from more in the ST and less in the GT, in my humble opinion.

Score on good swings 19/20

Score on poor swings 10/20

(29 out of 40 points)

attachicon.gif IMG_20180908_110843.jpg

Play it or Trade it?

Honestly, this is not an easy call. I really enjoyed playing this driver and had a great summer testing it. Likely my plan over the off season is to try a few different shaft combos in this driver to see if I can maximize my performance a bit more. I think if I can fix some of my swing issues with this club, it can become a monster for me. I would imagine this club finds its way into my bag on a regular basis sooner rather than later.

This is a driver that can help any golfer, but particularly a high-spin player looking to add some pop and has trouble losing the ball to the right. I don't know too many people who couldn't use some extra ballspeed and yards off the tee, and they should definitely look into the ST-180 to help provide those.

(16 out of 20 points)

Conclusion

Can a Mizuno driver stand up nose-to-nose with a driver that had tons of play on the PGA tour as recently as two years ago? The answer is a resounding yes, it can do everything the M1 can and more. However, getting fit up with the right shaft would have made this a slam dunk for me. So should you test the ST-180? Is it worth the hype of a driver with the highest carry distance in this year's most wanted testing? Absolutely, you will not be disappointed.

Final Score: (80 out of 100 points)

i own this bad boy and am working out my misses. I have found that like my old driver if I step on it I leave the face open a block it right. But my best swings are from a more upright swing and stance and hit the most beautiful fades. Occasionally I have a pull hook but it is rare. I have definitely gained yardage from over my 10+ year old Mizzy and know when I get this dialed unit will be great for my game. I have found for me, so far, coming from a 10.5 degree driver that the 9.5 degree leave the face more neutral than 10.5 and a better higher flight. part of this is me working out my swing an game to the new club.

Looks are great. When I hit a perfect shot I don't even hear the baseball bat sound. I find it a bit of an odd sound but it doesn't bother me. I hate TM and wanted to wait for the Titleist and Callaway was an option. But my friend is a Mizzy fitter and I got fit for this free. Plus I found this driver for $169 shipped. Game over. It is in and staying

In my bag.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Update, photos are being edited after a crop. My girlfriend remains the best... hopefully later this week for Stage 2, guys. But please read through the earlier Stage 2's, some very interesting and honest assessments given there, no doubt.

SIK Golf Flo-C

i own this bad boy and am working out my misses. I have found that like my old driver if I step on it I leave the face open a block it right. But my best swings are from a more upright swing and stance and hit the most beautiful fades. Occasionally I have a pull hook but it is rare. I have definitely gained yardage from over my 10+ year old Mizzy and know when I get this dialed unit will be great for my game. I have found for me, so far, coming from a 10.5 degree driver that the 9.5 degree leave the face more neutral than 10.5 and a better higher flight. part of this is me working out my swing an game to the new club.

Looks are great. When I hit a perfect shot I don't even hear the baseball bat sound. I find it a bit of an odd sound but it doesn't bother me. I hate TM and wanted to wait for the Titleist and Callaway was an option. But my friend is a Mizzy fitter and I got fit for this free. Plus I found this driver for $169 shipped. Game over. It is in and staying

In my bag.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I'm glad to hear it's working out for you! I honestly think in the right hands this driver would be great for a number of people. But as an already hook heavy player, I just can't put it in play consistently with any confidence.

WITB

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Been off forums for a while ... Time to get back in the "swing" 

THIS driver is good enough to make me login and post ... This is probably (I'm fighting saying 100% sure) ... the best driver head I ever owned. And I own them ALL .. Well except Titleist  :unsure:

BEAST !!! .. Mizuno hit a HOMERUN with this one  :mizuno-small:  :mizuno-small:  :mizuno-small:

20180911_113702.jpg

20180830_211943.jpg

DRIVER - NO WAY !!! I limit that to 1 - so here's my current favorites

:callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS 10.5 / Agera X 

:cobra-small: L4V 8* (7.5 actual) - XPHLEXXX COBRA PIMP DADDY F7 prototype shaft 

FWs - :callaway-small: Epic Flash 15 / Veylix 888 Bronx XXX Rainbow /:callaway-small: Heavenwood & :callaway-small:9 wood Blueboard 103x

Hybrids - :callaway-small: Super Hybrids - Aldila RIP Alpha 105X

5-GW :callaway-small: Epic Forged / Nippon Modus 125S

Wedges - 56-60-64 :callaway-small: PM Grind / Mardi Gras wedges - DGS400 Onyx  

Putter -  :odyssey-small: Works #7 Red Tank

ALL gripped with JumboMax XLs - Thank you Bryson for the grip lesson. 

:srixon-small: Z-Star XV - Stormi edition / :titleist-small: YELLOW ProV1x

Been off forums for a while ... Time to get back in the "swing"

THIS driver is good enough to make me login and post ... This is probably (I'm fighting saying 100% sure) ... the best driver head I ever owned. And I own them ALL .. Well except Titleist :unsure:

BEAST !!! .. Mizuno hit a HOMERUN with this one :mizuno-small: :mizuno-small: :mizuno-small:

attachicon.gif 20180911_113702.jpg

attachicon.gif 20180830_211943.jpg

Glad this gets the love from you. Out of curiosity, what is your standard ball flight?

WITB:

Hey Everyone, My Stage 2 is live right here and I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have.

SIK Golf Flo-C

Hey Everyone, My Stage 2 is live right here and I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have.

Great Stage 2! The pics & captions had me smiling, excellent job. It's tough to think about replacing a club you've had for 10 years that you're incredibly comfortable with, so that speaks volumes to the Mizzy. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Great job! It really is a beautiful club, IMO.

You referred to not being quite comfortable with it yet (don't recall your exact wording), especially since the Nike has been in your bag for 12 years. Do you recall how long that process was with the Nike? Was it love at first swing?

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Great job! It really is a beautiful club, IMO.

You referred to not being quite comfortable with it yet (don't recall your exact wording), especially since the Nike has been in your bag for 12 years. Do you recall how long that process was with the Nike? Was it love at first swing?

Max,

There's no doubt it was closer to love at first swing, but that's because of where I was coming from. The driver before the Nike was Bang Golf's Mellow Yellow 420, an ebay self-fit purchase of $50. The shaft (a Harrison Striper Pro) was way too stiff and the 9* has not enough loft for me to deliver it in any meaningful way.  Plus, I got the Nike about a month before I started my senior year of high school golf. I played a lot more often back since my home course would yet me on for free later in the afternoon, and needed the thing to work. Now, without those options and trying to get my law career off the ground, there just wasn't the same amount of time to make that transition as seamless as Bang to Nike. 

I do feel plenty confident with Blue Eyes White Dragon in my hand, it's just that not having that total memory bank of great shots and feelings to rely upon makes me question it a bit more. 

Thanks for the question though, and a reason to bump this thread back to the top so people can read all of our fantastic Stage 2's!

SIK Golf Flo-C

Great write up, glad this beauty has found 1 new home.

WITB:

Great stage 2s guys, would really like to try this driver but Mizuno don't bring Lefty's to NZ 😭

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

Great job on the write-up dude!

You mentioned a few times that the closed face was bothersome and takes adjusting; have you tried lofting down? Most drivers will flatten the lie and open the face as you adjust the loft lower. Not sure if this will bring your flight down too low as well but it might be worth the range experiment.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Great job on the write-up dude!

You mentioned a few times that the closed face was bothersome and takes adjusting; have you tried lofting down? Most drivers will flatten the lie and open the face as you adjust the loft lower. Not sure if this will bring your flight down too low as well but it might be worth the range experiment.

I have thought about it Stud, but when I did the fitting the 10.5 was my sweet spot for proper launch and spin. That's no surprise really knowing my swing because 10.5-11 is always where it's been. I'll give it a go at the range soon because it's worth a shot, but I just think it'll flatten the flight and up the spin.

Plus, it's not super closed at address. When I say closed I'm talking a degree to maybe two degrees. It's not that different from most modern drivers. Just coming from something you've looked at for 12 years and seeing something slightly different, you do pick up on that slight variation

SIK Golf Flo-C

Slight push in case there is anyone else out there with any questions about this beast of a driver?

SIK Golf Flo-C

Archived