2018 Official Forum Member Review - Mizuno ST180 Driver

Our Sponsors

Hello everyone. First and foremost, thank you to MGS, Mizuno and the MGS community. I used to live in Summit County Colorado, and the joke there was that “you come for the winters, but you stay for the summers”. Like many here, I joined on the allure of some give away but have found these forums and the community worth so much more. A great spot to talk golf, travel and some guy named Rob's quest to own and sell every set of clubs ever made. So thanks to the whole gang.

j5Y5101.jpg?1

My name is Christopher and I reside up in the PacNW about 70 miles north of Seattle. We might have the best summer climate for golf in the country, our winter golf is more of a testament of your waterproofing abilities and lack of common sense.

Golfing has been with me since I was a wee lil tike. Begging my dad to get me one of those multi-color Ping Eye2 golf balls was probably my first golf gear obsession. Next it was one of the Taylormade Burner Bubble drivers, then a Ping Sedona putter, then a.... you can all probably fill in the next 20 years with your own gear and ball desires to get to today which has most recently landed and Evnroll ER2 into the bag. Over the years Taylormade(x3), Callway(x1), Ping(x2), Cleveland(x1), Cobra(x1) and Titleist(x2) drivers have all spent time in my golf bag, and from that Burner Bubble to a Hibore Monster XLS. I have loved them all.

9S1CRtD.jpg?1

I golfed in high school, I golfed in the Navy, I golfed in college and now I golf after work. I grew up playing muni's in central Washington. I played Colorado golf in college and in my ski bum years. I spent 6 months playing resort golf at Bandon Dunes and now I terrorize any course along the I-5 corridor north of Seattle.

*Side note* If you have never played Colorado golf, please go book a flight to Denver, drive the 80 miles west on I-70 to Dillon and go play the Ranch course at Keystone or any of the other mountain courses in that area. Sure Pebble is pretty, and Bandon is windy but adding 20% distance to every club is way more fun and a lot less expensive.

QoropQZ.jpg?1

Currently I am either the best or worst 7 HDCP you have ever seen. I seem to like scores of 70-74, or 80-85. I don't like that middle ground, so basically whoever I play with thinks I am a liar one way or the other. I am 36 , bald and with a spectacular beard. Swing speed right around 100mph gets me drives of 230-260 yards depending on the day. I use an 8 iron from 150, a 56* wedge will get me 95 and my putting will eventually get me off the green.

bU60X97.jpg?2

I am 5'7”, with a very compact swing. I play a straight to mild draw and can't remember the last year that I successfully took a divot. As a result I really struggle out of the rough with my shallow angle of attack, but when it comes to driving, that swing pays off for me. I generate pretty low levels of backspin, and with my current driver I average about 17* of launch angle with 1700 RPM of backspin. This results in some high blasts and good drives that can reach 280y. My bad miss is a push off to the right from which there is no return. Many brave urethane covered friends have been lost while I plead with them to start drawing back to safety.

My current WITB:

3Mzfe76.jpg?2

The only change I am considering at this time is dropping my 3W for a 60* wedge. I love the F7 woods and Hybrid, I am sold on baffler. The Ping i200's replaced a set of Adams CB2's that I played for 7 years and I think they fit my game very well. Mac Daddy Forged wedges are as good as any other wedge out there and for me they feel great. Then there is the ER2, because I MGS.

You might have noticed the driver hiding in that bag, the best driver ever made. Forged with the finest of elven metals by the strongest of dwarves, quenched in purest of unicorn urine, polished by a Binford 5300 wielded by Tim Allen himself and then hand painted by Batman, the Ping G400 Max.

Why?! You might wonder, if I have the living approximation of a God Code cheat for golf would I even consider parting ways with it for the Mizuno ST180? Do I think that the blue roadrunner can channel its inner Clubber Lang and hoist the belt? Will a Wave Sole and a Forged SP700 Titanium Face best the G400's Turbulators, Dragonflies and tungsten weights? I don't know, but I intend to find out and let you all know about it along the way.

8IwxIUr.jpg?1

For this review, and the reason I applied, I want to give this club a test that it will wake up sweating about. A full comparison between what I consider the best driver I have ever used and the driver that wants to be king. I will be using K-Sigs, the launch monitor at the local golf store, the driving range and on course testing for this test. Stage 2 will be coming soon. Please let me know if there is something specific you want me to see if I can test.

Ulbhc5v.jpg?1

QKegHtk.jpg?1

a5PQEjc.jpg?1

becuase I MGS. Me too, but I wouldn't trade that ER2 for anything.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello everyone. First and foremost, thank you to MGS, Mizuno and the MGS community. I used to live in Summit County Colorado, and the joke there was that “you come for the winters, but you stay for

*Record Scratch*   *Freeze Frame*   Yeah, that's me. You're probably wondering how I got myself into this situation. Well, it wouldn't have happened without the help and trust of the MGS Commu

Hi Everyone! I've been around golf basically my entire life but never got into it seriously until after college. I needed something competitive to replace my first love of baseball when I hung up the

Posted Images

becuase I MGS. Me too, but I wouldn't trade that ER2 for anything.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Oh, it had been my best putting year ever. I have gone from pure mediocrity/suck to some semblance of competance. One round last year I missed 9 of 9 putts between 6-10 feet, this year I am making about 50% off those. Probably as much to do with more practice putting since I have a new putter, but I have confidence over ever putt now. Can't say I have ever had that before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :ping-small: G400Max, 10.5° Fujikura Ventus 6s

FW Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 17.5°

Utility:    :cobra-small: King Forged 19.5° Utility

Irons:   image.png.cbfb2d938ea45d82004d9bdeb23cf643.pngD7 Forged GW-5i

Wedges:  :Sub70:  56°

Putter:   5WoCG8Y.jpgER2 69°lie, 4° loft, 32.75"

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

What is one thing that you guys are hoping to get out of the Mizuno that you're struggling with on your current driver?

I've been hoping to drop some spin, gain some distance (obviously) and keep the ball a little bit straighter.

Those are 3 things, I have trouble editing.

• Like 3

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Range yesterday. Think I found what was wrong and surprise surprise, it was me! Getting out this week to get another round in, hopefully with less bottom strikes after the range!

• Like 2

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:cobra-small: F9 Speedback, 18.5, Hzrdus Yellow 70-S

:ping-small: G710, 4-UW, Blue Dot, Nippon Modus 105-S

:honma: TW-W4, 56*, Nippon Modus 125

:mizuno-small: T20, 61*, Nippon Modus 125

:nickent-small: Pipe

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2019)

Torrential Rain in CNY this week, seems unlikely I'll get to the course. Any q's anyone has about anything right now?

• Like 1

Went out too the driving range yesterday with my trusty VoiceCaddie and the combatants. Used the ShotTracer app on my phone and my wifes slightly less than steady hands to take some videos of the two. These were the two best ones, and the Crow laughing really adds to the sound track. 

G400 Max:

ST180:

• Like 5

WITB:

Going to go play in some 105° temps this weekend, will let you know if there is a noticeable roll out difference between the two on scorched earth fairways(and rough).

• Like 2

WITB:

Brilliant stuff guys, love the videos. The sound of these suits my ear. Not a high metallic ting but a nice muted sound.

Have to say I'm more than a little jealous because Mizuno don't bring lefty drivers to NZ so I can't even try one of these 😭😭

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3 Hybrid - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 4-PW - True Temper XP95 Reg
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° -True Temper XP95 Reg
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: Two Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 for the #cobraconnectchallenge3

Brilliant stuff guys, love the videos. The sound of these suits my ear. Not a high metallic ting but a nice muted sound.

Have to say I'm more than a little jealous because Mizuno don't bring lefty drivers to NZ so I can't even try one of these

You could always learn to golf the correct way.... Just saying it's an option

The sound is slightly higher and slightly more tingy than my GMax, really, I think it sounds closest to the ping G from 2 years ago but a little quieter.

• Like 2

WITB:

You could always learn to golf the correct way.... Just saying it's an option

The sound is slightly higher and slightly more tingy than my GMax, really, I think it sounds closest to the ping G from 2 years ago but a little quieter.

It's way too late for me 😭😭

So what do you think of the sound?

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 for the #cobraconnectchallenge3

It's way too late for me

So what do you think of the sound?

It isn't offensive like my old Cleveland Monster Hibore XLS, but I think it is the weakest part of the driver.

• Like 1

WITB:

Bump for my stage 1 being up!

Please ask any and all questions possible. I want to know what the people want to learn about this thing!

My biggest curiosity is the sound, is it a muted sound when the ball comes off the face, or is it a bell like sound?

Edit, just saw some comment about the sound guys, thanks fo the awesome info

Went out too the driving range yesterday with my trusty VoiceCaddie and the combatants. Used the ShotTracer app on my phone and my wifes slightly less than steady hands to take some videos of the two. These were the two best ones, and the Crow laughing really adds to the sound track. 

G400 Max:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raoD2EcNuxw

ST180:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chKCj_VTCBk

That actually sounded pretty good, nice move through the ball thin

I know we've been talking about the sound of the driver in this thread a bit, but I feel a need to say this, and I preface it by saying this is my express opinion and mine alone. If you're concentrating on the sound at impact as to potentially affecting a purchase decision of any golf club, I think you're nuts.

• Like 2

G400 Max:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raoD2EcNuxw

ST180:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chKCj_VTCBk

thanks for the video. I was finally able to pick out the difference in the sound. It is very subtle,but yes,the Mizuno is a tad more muted.

Sorry for beating up on a dead horse just going through all the posts.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

I'm glad to see Mizuno getting some credit for something other than just their Irons. I know the matte blue is a polarizing color for many golfers but I kinda love it! I might have to take a crack at this driver once it starts hitting the used rack. I'm looking forward to all of your thoughts in stage 2.

• Like 2

Bag Makeup:

Grips: Pure Pro Midsize

Driver: Ping G25 - Ping TFC-800d Stiff

Fairway: Taylormade V-Steel 15* - Aldila VooDoo SVS6

Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue TP 20* - Aldila Rip 85 X

Iron Set: Ping S56 Red Dot (4-PW) - TrueTemper S300 Standard Length

Wedges: 52.08 Mizuno MP-R12, 56.13 and 60.10 Callaway PM Grind - KBS Tour V

Putter: 33" Ping Anser Milled 5 - Golf Pride Tour SNSR 104 Pistol

I'm glad to see Mizuno getting some credit for something other than just their Irons. I know the matte blue is a polarizing color for many golfers but I kinda love it! I might have to take a crack at this driver once it starts hitting the used rack. I'm looking forward to all of your thoughts in stage 2.

You are in Minneapolis right? 2nd Swing has a few out. You can go there to hit them. They are on my short list too.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

You are in Minneapolis right? 2nd Swing has a few out. You can go there to hit them. They are on my short list too.

Yep! Although we don't have a year long golf season, we are blessed with several great golf shops in the area! I'll have to stop by after work one of these days.

Bag Makeup:

Grips: Pure Pro Midsize

Driver: Ping G25 - Ping TFC-800d Stiff

Fairway: Taylormade V-Steel 15* - Aldila VooDoo SVS6

Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue TP 20* - Aldila Rip 85 X

Iron Set: Ping S56 Red Dot (4-PW) - TrueTemper S300 Standard Length

Wedges: 52.08 Mizuno MP-R12, 56.13 and 60.10 Callaway PM Grind - KBS Tour V

Putter: 33" Ping Anser Milled 5 - Golf Pride Tour SNSR 104 Pistol

I know we've been talking about the sound of the driver in this thread a bit, but I feel a need to say this, and I preface it by saying this is my express opinion and mine alone. If you're concentrating on the sound at impact as to potentially affecting a purchase decision of any golf club, I think you're nuts.

I know sound has no effect on the performance of the club but mentally it can be very detrimental to my game. There was not enough money on Earth to get me to play the Taylormade R1, the sound that made was like nails down a chalk board to me 😒😝