Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Dramatic look difference

Big money

Played in an inter club event with long time avid golf buddy as my teammate.Long story short, we finished in 15 out of 33 teams.Anyway, he has been working on revamping his swing with a well known instructor for a few seasons now.A real work a holic perfectionist type of student{teachers dream}.We are warming up and he has me film his swing for him from dtl and front.Just some last minute checks his pro wanted him to work on.The info must have worked as he played exceptionally well today.I decided on shooting a few on course videos documenting the great time we were having for later viewing.Upon editing the film, Ive never noticed was how radically different his on course swing vs lesson range swing looks.It was like two different golfers with his range swing being the most mechanically sound of the two.He has a near perfect lag style swing from his lessons.But on the course, the video showed more of a cast over the top motion.And the biggest difference was the impact look.His oncourse had a very noticeable flip vs range showed an ideal textbook impact.The difference was only found when i slow motioned his movements.Was hard too tell difference in full speed

Does this happen regularly?The man is a work horse on the range and works very closely with his instructor.He is one that is a swing perfectionist as well.Never discussed the video I recorded with him.But can't grasp how they are so different.By the way he is a low handicap and shot 75 on his own ball today{84 for me and was very very happy with that}.Said the lessons have really taken him too new levels in his game.Was it the tourney that brought out a different swing in him?He is playing extremely solid this year.So it must be working.Would you show your friend the video and point out the difference of the two

Keep it in the short stuff

Most of us are scratch golfers on the range and scratch our scores on the course  ;)  :D

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

If he asked, I'd show him the difference.

Range swings don't always translate to the course right away, I've had that problem too. Sure you can pick out a target on the range, but as soon as you actually have a "real" target, score comes into play, and you're on an uneven lie, everything changes until the "new" swing is really burned in.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Different camera angles could explain the difference in appearance.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Krank Formula X Veylix Alpina 573 45" 9*

:755178188_TourEdge:CBX 3 Wood Matrix HD Radix S VIII 43" 15*

Krank Formula X 5 Wood Matrix HD Radix S VIII 42" 18*

Wishon Golf 775HS 3H Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid X-Flex  39.75" 21*

Wishon Golf 585HI 3DI  same shaft as irons 38.25" 21*

Wishon Golf 575 MMC Forged 5-A N.S.Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Wishon Golf Micro-Groove HM S, L same shaft as irons 

:EVNROLL: ER7B Gravity Grip 35"

I always play on the course like I am on the range. I just go out there play the swing I have practiced so many times just to different targets. It seems like he has a mental block. Maybe he should practice more on the course to get out of his head.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

If he's going thru swing change it could take awhile for the two to match up and I'm guessing his pronwavts him to think about the changes on the range and on the course to think about the s*** in front of him and not the swing changes

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

As others have mentioned, range swing doesn't always equal course swing. Even the course practice swing doesn't match the actual shot.

I would just tell your friend that you took some video of his swing on the course and since he had asked for you to video him on the range did he want that video also. I wouldn't comment on the differences that you saw.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Range swing vs On-Course swing is a different challenge for everyone. 

My on -course swing tends to be better once I get into the rhythm of the round. 

On the range I have two things I struggle with. First is over-thinking every swing. If I'm trying to work on something specific, concentrating on that sometimes overcomes everything else and the swing falls apart. The second is a visual thing. I have a hard time with targets that aren't down the line of the range, especially when the hitting area is roped off creating a square look. When I try to hit to an off angle target, it makes me feel crossed up on my alignment and the results are rarely good.

All that to suggest we don't always give our brains enough credit for our swing successes or failures. As already suggested, the difference in your friend's on-course and range swings may be a matter of concentration. On the range, concentrating on the coaches inputs incorporates them more fully into the swing. Until those changes become ingrained into muscle memory, when the on-course focus is the line and target of the shot rather than the swing, the 'old' swing will tend to dominate the movements.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

He never asked too see it.So I will just keep it with my collection.He's very meticulous on his swing look and results.Its all praises and complements about the results from him this season.This was a personal observation and the camera angle was practically identical.Maybe the natural look comes back too all of us when we focus on score and target.Even though subconsciously he might feel it is the same.Just amazed how unique the differences were.Maybe I need to flim on course and use that instead of range video

Most of us are scratch golfers on the range and scratch our scores on the course ;) :D

Or hit the ball and scratch our heads wondering...

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

15 out of 33 teams and he shot 75 and you shot 84?   :blink:

What was the winning score, out of curiosity?  I mean, in tournaments I play, a 75 would win you your flight easily, especially if it's a net event.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

15 out of 33 teams and he shot 75 and you shot 84? :blink:

What was the winning score, out of curiosity? I mean, in tournaments I play, a 75 would win you your flight easily, especially if it's a net event.

agree. Must be some good sticks

Archived