GSwag

Should the PGA Championship go back to Match Play?

We were discussing the PGA Championship in it's official thread, and there were comments saying that the PGA Championship was the least exciting of the four majors, and that it wasn't any different from a regular tour stop, except for the prize money, and exemptions that the winner receives.

So while I was out at lunch today I was wondering if the PGA of America should shake things up a bit (beyond moving to May to play it) and maybe try a match play format, or some other type of format for this tournament that would make it unique and stand out from the other three majors.  Because as it is right now, we have three majors that are iconic, and then the PGA Championship as an afterthought for the most part.  Breaking it down, here is how you describe the other three majors:

Masters:  The legend of Bobby Jones lives, Augusta National as paradise or nirvana for golfers.

US Open:  America's national championship, with over 100 years of history.  It's considered by many to be the toughest tournament to win every year.

Open Championship:  The R&A's signature event, and the crowning of the "Champion Golfer of the Year."  I mean, who wouldn't want to be crowned that?

But the PGA Championship leaves me scratching my head.  I mean, if the best memory I can conjure from the history of this tournament is a young John Daly winning at Crooked Stick, we may have an image problem here.

Any other thoughts or ideas on how to make the PGA Championship stand out as a major on it's own?

• Like 2

The Match play format is extremely unpredictable and can result in some very underwhelming final matches as we've seen w the Accenture, so I would not be in favor of changing the PGA back to that format. Could make for some really poor TV. It may just be "the other one" but the PGA is still a major. I think any tour pro would rather win a PGA than a Players Championship or even a FedEx Cup. Majors are the only events that history cares about, plus it's the only tip of the cap from the PGA Tour to the club pros. Those guys deserve the recognition. In fact I think you can make a very strong argument that the PGA of America is more important to the game here in the US than the USGA. PGA Members definitely do more to keep the game right as the USGA looks for ways to screw it up.

• Like 3

I've thought this in the past. Regardless of whether or not it would be good it will not happen for the reason Gaussman1 stated. It will produce a dud.

There are 4 majors, one is bound to be fourth. If you removed the PGA and inserted another major it would be....4th.

I'm fairly certain that similar numbers of people will prefer either the Masters or the Open with the US Open third. My personal ranking is US Open, Open, Masters, PGA although there are PGA venues that will move it ahead of the Masters for me - this year's is not one of those.

We all know from other threads that while I enjoy the Masters, I believe it's over rated because of a weak for a major field. Other people find that quaint. I see their point but don't agree. I actually have the Players as a must watch event ahead of the Masters and the PGA because of its field.

At any rate I will be interested to see how the day change impacts the PGA. I think it's a good move. Match play, as intriguing as I would find it personally, would not be.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 7

If you're looking for something to make it stand out, try having a shot clock on the play.  (I personally think this would not go over well for a major)

As others have mentioned, something has to be 4th when you are ranking the majors.  The PGA is special because it is a major.  No matter what else happens, the winners are held in high regard for that fact.  

I personally enjoy the PGA because it allows the local club pro a chance to compete with the touring pro and that creates the potential for a Cinderella story-line.

• Like 4

How about first 2 rounds are qualifying and then the top 16 make it to match play? I think that would be much more exiting than true match play. I still don't think this should happen. Like Rev said one is bound to be 4th.

• Like 2

Move it to a world tournament. Have a Heathland Open.

We ready have our Parkland Tournament - The Master

Our US Open

The Open

Then meh... the PGA

Make it a traveling major.

• Like 3

I'll take a traveling major. As Shankster said we already have our parkland major and no other parkland major will top it. Move it around, maybe go to the sand belt in Australia one year and some mountain course in Europe the next. I don't know. Just do something to make unique.

• Like 5

If we're talking about ways to add a measure of difference and excitement, how about some form of Stableford scoring? My understanding (haven't really played this format before) is that it incentivizes playing for birdies and eagles even more than protecting par.

• Like 3

No. Match play is horrible. Once the guy you want to win gets eliminated you stop watching. come Sunday we want 15 guys to have a chance at the win, not 2.

I'll take a traveling major. As Shankster said we already have our parkland major and no other parkland major will top it. Move it around, maybe go to the sand belt in Australia one year and some mountain course in Europe the next. I don't know. Just do something to make unique.

On paper it sounds good, but it is the PGA of America, so not sure how traveling to Australia fits.

God no.

You really think something like a Brian Harman vs Patrick Cantlay finals match will make things better?

• Like 5

Yeah the Dell Match Play gets a little... crickets.

They do have the EuropeanTour PGA BMW Championship.

Just alternate every other year.

The British Masters at Walton Heath will be on my radar this fall.

• Like 1

Masters:  The legend of Bobby Jones lives, Augusta National as paradise or nirvana for golfers.

US Open:  America's national championship, with over 100 years of history.  It's considered by many to be the toughest tournament to win every year.

Open Championship:  The R&A's signature event, and the crowning of the "Champion Golfer of the Year."  I mean, who wouldn't want to be crowned that?

PGA: Allows our local Pro the avenue to compete at a MAJOR with the finest golfers in the world. 

The PGA supports the guys we see behind the counter on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. The ones we take for granted and complain to when something is not right but never thank when things are going well. Every time we say "go see your Pro" this is who we are talking about. I imagine that the tour players don't think it is a regular tour stop. It also is traditionally the strongest field on tour every year. I think it is our perception of the tournament that needs to change.

• Like 1

On paper it sounds good, but it is the PGA of America, so not sure how traveling to Australia fits.

Yes and No. It is the PGA of America but it isn't the US Open. I don't see why even though it is the PGA of America they can't contest the tournament somewhere else. It is still a PGA of America contest. Either way there are still plenty of great DIFFERENT style courses in the US. I can't think of the name right now but there was that linksy style course in Texas. Get some really hilly mountain courses. Just do something.

I don't see a travelling tournament workin ( I may be wrong here). Isn't the sponsor the one who dictates where the tourney will be held? - ie usually where their headquarters are

. John Deer has been held in Silvis since the dawn of day. Arnies tourney has been held in????? The Honda classic was held at.....

I don't see a travelling tournament workin ( I may be wrong here). Isn't the sponsor the one who dictates where the tourney will be held? - ie usually where their headquarters are

. John Deer has been held in Silvis since the dawn of day. Arnies tourney has been held in????? The Honda classic was held at.....

Yes, but if the PGA of America agrees. It wouldn't make a difference. The PGA already dictates where the tournament is held.

I think it should be the tour championship/pga championship. Meaning run the playoff format as usual but the top 30 go on to have a chance at a major. This would make both more exciting. I realize they would be cutting one tournament out but I think the tour championship is dull as well. I'm sure there is a lot of loop holes but it's a start.

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I think it should be the tour championship/pga championship. Meaning run the playoff format as usual but the top 30 go on to have a chance at a major. This would make both more exciting. I realize they would be cutting one tournament out but I think the tour championship is dull as well. I'm sure there is a lot of loop holes but it's a start.

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

So you are saying to cut the PGA and make the TC a major? I doubt the PGA would go for this. The TC already decides the FedEx cup. I think that might put too much emphisis on one tournament. The PGA just needs to change it up not scratch the whole tournament.
  • Like 1