TESTERS WANTED! ×

Do you actually use your 3-Wood?

WardenGolf

How do you like that PM Grind?

I will have a hard time going back to a "regular" wedge. I am anxiously waiting a PM grind 2 to come out in a raw finish.

Andrew - Lexington, KY

Handicap: 12

Righty

Driver:  Taylormade M1 2017 Project X HZRDUS Black 70 x-stiff

4 Wood:  Callaway Rogue Project X HZRDUS Yellow 85 x-stiff

Hybrids:  Titleist 816 h1 21* Diamana D+ White 90hy

Irons: Srixon Z 565 4i, Z 765 5-PW Project X 6.5

Wedges:  Callaway MD3 50* & 54*, PM Grind 58* Project X 6.0

Putter:  Callaway O-Works Two Ball 34"

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft X

Bag:   Ping Hoofer 14

re-learning to use mine. My last fairway was a Cobra AMP 15 ad it was my favorite club off the tee and fairway, but i snapped the shaft and even after getting the same replacement, was never the same. i have a 15 degree Launcher FW that I have been working with, but if i'm off that day, i'll usually dial down my F7 hybrid to 16.5 and use that as my long club. 

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

A few times a round like my four iron but my three iron has been replaced by a 30 year old Wilson two iron I want to cut down to seven iron length and hit long punch stingers with it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I use my 3w on any par 4 that requires accuracy vs distance.  On the course I regularly play that is about 5 holes.  I also use it on par 5's that I want to attack in two.  So I use mine about 7-8 times a round. If I am struggling with my driver I will go exclusively with my 3w from the tee.  I am consistent with it and it is not going anywhere anytime soon. 

In My Bag

TM Stealth +, PX T1100 ,6.5 

TM Stealth+ Rocket 3W, PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5

TM Stealth 5W, PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5

TM SIM 2 3H, Nippon GOST 95HX

TM P790 5-PW TT DG X100

TM Hi Toe Raw 50, 54, 58

Evnroll ER5 

Snell MTB X YELLOW

I only use mine a couple of times a round, if I'm not hitting my driver well, I'll use it on a couple of par 4's where there's trouble down the right. I'm still somewhat inconsistent hitting it off the deck, but if I flush it, is the sweetest feeling club in my bag.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Have a 4W (17°), with a shortened shaft .. much easier for me to hit off the fairway or very light rough.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

You can have my 3w when you pry it from my cold dead fingers. I use it 6 times a round at least. But my lob wedge? It just got replaced by a 3 iron.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Im finding my 5 wood to be doing the job just fine. Better dispersion and consistency with the shorter length club and im more likely to hit it from the deck when the shot is available. I've dropped my 3W for the time being and sometimes carry another wedge.

<p><strong>Driver: </strong><em>Ping G400 Max 9*</em><em>, VTS silver S </em><strong>Fairway 5: </strong><em>Cobra F7, VTS silver S</em><strong>Hybrid 4: </strong><em>Ping G400, VTS silver S</em><strong>Irons 5-PW: </strong><em>Srixon Z765, Steelfiber i110cw</em><strong>Wedges:</strong> <em>Grindworks 50F/56F/60F 86 Series</em><strong>Putter: </strong><em>Evnroll ER2 CS</em><strong>Bag/ Buggy:</strong><em> Bagboy Hybrid Chiller/ Caddy Tek EZ Fold</em><strong>Ball: </strong><em>Q Star Tour</em>

This thread opens up the opportunity to discuss so many things pertaining to 3-woods.

First off, there are the 13 / 13.5º models.  Most clubmakers set their "regular" 3-woods at 15º which to my argumentative mind is a couple degrees strong already.  Then, they have the "strong 3" at 13º because they don't like to call them "2-woods."  

Instead of informing potential customers, the OEMs prefer to dumb things down for them.  It's like letting people use the word "their" as a singular possessive pronoun.  It was grammatically incorrect for centuries, but now it's OK because people kept doing it.  I'll NEVER do it. I compromise by using his/her, but technically, "his" is grammatically correct regardless of gender.

Back to the point.  I like those 13º "3-woods" not as fairway woods--13º from the deck isn't for me--but as drivers. That's a "3-wood" that I do carry.

I would have more respect for the 460cc fat ass titanium driver if the seniors with whom I played had knocked theirs past--or even up to--my 13º "fairway wood" steel driver.  That didn't happen much. The majority of those TM, Callaway, and  Ping 460cc drivers among these fellow geriatrics, often purchased used on Ebay with shafts that were too stiff,  were set at the ubiquitous 10.5º

I couldn't hit a 10.5º driver, fat ass titanium or not, but these fat ass (spoken as if I didn't own a mirror myself), cigar-smoking boomers who, like myself, remembered Elvis, never mind the Beatles, on the Ed Sullivan Show, felt that they could

--apparently not noticing their own 180-190 yard drives next to my fairway wood-sourced 225 yard ones.

I was never a bomber as a thirty or forty year old, but these golf buddies of mine made me one as a half-dead linkster with aches and pains.

So that's how I used a so-called three-wood. Push the tee almost all the way down, don't go uncomfortably forward in my stance with the ball, and just take a regular golf swing.

I get what your saying Nifty. And I just don't get it. Why are people scared of some numbers.

The PING G 3 Stretch sounds right up your alley. It's a 13° fairway that can be turned down to 12° or up to 14° and .6° in between.

A 2 wood through and through. At 193cc it's small, with a slightly deeper face than their 3 wood counterparts.

If you are a Rick Shiels fan he did a nice comparison here. https://youtu.be/koAbPwPoSC8

That's an excellent video, Shankster.

The Ping G400 Stretch and the Callaway Steelhead XR would be my likely choices if I were to be able to resume playing. 

The Callaway is one degree flatter which suits me, but with the ball teed up a quarter inch, which is all that I tee it up, the 1º lie factor isn't really anything. I'd him them both and let the monitor decide.

I use the 3w on shorter doglegs where i might hit driver through, and for second shot on par 5s if I'm 230+. Usually just a few times per round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2

That's an excellent video, Shankster.

The Ping G400 Stretch and the Callaway Steelhead XR would be my likely choices if I were to be able to resume playing.

The Callaway is one degree flatter which suits me, but with the ball teed up a quarter inch, which is all that I tee it up, the 1º lie factor isn't really anything. I'd him them both and let the monitor decide.

I'm actually eyeing some Titleist 983 models right now. At 365cc and 350cc the size would suit my eye. Just not sure what I'd be giving up in technology and if I would lose distance. For $29 it's not a big deal to give it a go.

I really can't stand looking at 460cc drivers or 440 for that matter. They just look odd sitting by the ball. I can use them, but I also like to tee the ball low and like to hit my driver on the level to slightly down. Maybe a low spinning combo would work out for me.

I've also found some 400ish cc tour stage clubs.

I'm actually eyeing some Titleist 983 models right now. At 365cc and 350cc the size would suit my eye. Just not sure what I'd be giving up in technology and if I would lose distance. For $29 it's not a big deal to give it a go.

I really can't stand looking at 460cc drivers or 440 for that matter. They just look odd sitting by the ball. I can use them, but I also like to tee the ball low and like to hit my driver on the level to slightly down. Maybe a low spinning combo would work out for me.

I've also found some 400ish cc tour stage clubs.

The 983K is a classic. Great driver still.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Didn't really use 3W until this year. The big change for me was getting 917d2. I have SLDR driver and was previously using an SLDR 3w which I think was a bad combo cause they're both low spin. Once I got a higher spinning 3W it gave me more accuracy and flexibility.

I'm going to even more after today! I was very accurate, and LONG off the tee with it! 71% of fairways today. Incredible. Exotics EX9 13* Long fairway. It's moved to the lead spot off the tee for now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Yes, I have 3 to 4 holes that I use the 3 Wood off the tee, and I've used it several times lately on a couple of par 5's for the second shot.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

No not any more. Well, at least next weekend anyway.

I went with a more aggressive wedge swing than what I had been using. Firing at the flag rather than at the green. This was totally different than the full swing or even the wedge swing, which was a pared down version of the full swing. Then a week and a half later, my back caused me to make wholesale changes to my swing. I only had 15 minutes before my tee time when it became apparent that I had to change. As an emergency fix, I simply only hit 3/4 shots until I could spend some time working out the details of the new swing.

Yesterday, I was able to get the irons worked out, but the top of the bag was questionable.

Suddenly, the clubs that I had in my bag were no longer fitting my swing. Soooo... As of right now, I have no hybrids or FM's in my bag and have supped up my MP Fli His 2, 3, and 4 by making them a bit longer on Project X PXv shafts to make up for it. I also changed the shaft in my 5 iron to a ProForce V2 Hybrid shaft.

I tested this out today with an extra 18 holes, well make that 22 holes because I was playing so well I didn't want to stop. Finally, 40 holes was enough for the day.

Right now, I am hitting these and my driver, actually all my clubs straighter than I ever have in my life and am getting the same or better distance out of my 2 than I was with the 3 Wood. This afternoon, I would have had to hire a survey crew to find the center of the fairways with these clubs. Birdied all the par 5's and GIR's on all the 200+ yards par 3's. Those holes that I had been using the 3 wood off the tee on were a breeze with these clubs.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Yup-

Same reason as everyone else I suppose

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I recently took mine out of the bag. It's no more accurate for me off the tee than my driver (My driver is 1" short, so it's pretty accurate) and I really struggle hitting it off the deck. I'm a One Length player and my 21* utility club will get me around 200 with the added bonus of being very straight. Anything over 200, I'll just lay up.

WITB:

Driver: Cobra F6 (10.5*) + Project X HZRDUS Black -1"

Utility: Cobra KING Utility Black One Length (21*)

5I-GW: Cobra KING F7 One Length

SW: Mizuno MP T5 (56*)

LW: Mizuno MP T5 (60*)

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 Rossie (Black)

Not trying to brag at all. But my last round I just added up my 3 wood tee shots. And my average is 274.7 yards for that round. Firm fairways, maybe 10 yards of roll. This is one of the most versatile clubs in my bag.

Side note I averaged 247.3 with the 2 hybrid off the tee....

Driver.... 265.4 at 10° maybe I need a 11-12° Driver.

Not trying to brag at all. But my last round I just added up my 3 wood tee shots. And my average is 274.7 yards for that round. Firm fairways, maybe 10 yards of roll. This is one of the most versatile clubs in my bag.

Side note I averaged 247.3 with the 2 hybrid off the tee....

Driver.... 265.4 at 10° maybe I need a 11-12° Driver.

My 3 wood is similar but not quite as far. It's my favourite club in the bag and love that I can hit it off the tee and off the turf.

It's also perfect for golf trips where you might not want to bring all your clubs. Just like Shankster said: versatile.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver -  :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha

3W -  :callaway-small: XHot Pro

3 Hybrid - :taylormade-small: Rescue 11

4-PW - Maltby DBM Forged

52 -  :vokey-small: SM4

56 -  :cleveland-small: RTX-3

60 - Scratch SS

Putter -  :seemore-small: FGP

I switched to a 7 wood and haven't looked back since. From the fairway, I hit my PW further than my 3-wood. More loft was the answer for me. For tight fairways, I hit a 3 hybrid off the tee. With roll out, I get about 240 yards

USMC currently stationed in Okinawa Japan

Driver: Wilson Triton 10.5* Aldila Rogue stiff

FAIRWAY: Taylormade M2 2017

Irons: PRGR TR 900 Forged 4-PW

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized 56*, Ray Cook Blue Goose 60*

Putter: Taylormade Spider Platinum Tour

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods while I’m looking for the one I hit in there

Current Handicap: 16.8 USGA

Looks like I just need to hit this Exotics EX9 Long off the tees! Sheesh! Driver was only 11 yards longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

It's rare I use it. I would like to use it more bc I hit mine pretty well. Ping G25 but it's rare I have 250 into a hole. I hit it great off the ground but miss it a little too often off the tee but if I have a par 5 with around 250 left I'm licking my chops

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

IMHO the "3 woods " of today are not 3 woods. Most 3 woods now days are 15*. My old Cally Steelhead I carried for 13 years was 13*--- recently I quit carrying a 3 wood because of my diminished swing speed I found it hard to get airborne. Recently built me a little heater as I call it a V-Steel 5 wood at 18* with a old Pro Launch Blue shaft. I can hit a high cut floater with it about 200 yards or play it back some and hit a head high screamer stinger about 220 or so. Really a versatile club for me. If I need to hit a screamer over 220 which is rare for me I can hit my Homna driver off the deck on a good lie. I do not go for par 5s in 2 anymore unless it is where I can hit my 5 wood with the high cut or my 22* hybrid with a high cut. I prefer to position my second shot and wedge it in and get that putter in my grubby little hands 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G