TESTERS WANTED! ×

Do you actually use your 3-Wood?

WardenGolf

I've still got my Callaway 816 3-wood, and have really been hitting the snot out of it.

It's set at 15° and I probably hit it 4-6 times a round. 240 is a great shot for me, couldn't imaging a 275 like a shank or Jukes.

But it usually is a great second shot on long 5's.

I'd look at the F8's, but the 816 is still solid. Kinda like the 815 hybrids, hard to throw out when they still get the job done...

It to the point, 3-Woods are very Important in my bag...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

240 is a great shot for me, couldn't imaging a 275 like a shank or Jukes.

Now I'm getting pissed.

There was no time in my life....40,  even 30 years old, when a relatively straight 215 yard fairway wood shot didn't put a satisfied smirk on my face. 

It didn't seem that I needed to be wearing a tutu on the course based on what my buddies were doing.  Obviousuly, I wasn't running with the big dogs.  Not on the golf course, at least. 

• 1 month later...

I've still got my Callaway 816 3-wood, and have really been hitting the snot out of it.

It's set at 15° and I probably hit it 4-6 times a round. 240 is a great shot for me, couldn't imaging a 275 like a shank or Jukes.

But it usually is a great second shot on long 5's.

I'd look at the F8's, but the 816 is still solid. Kinda like the 815 hybrids, hard to throw out when they still get the job done...

It to the point, 3-Woods are very Important in my bag...

I have the 816 heads in 14 and 18 degree lofts. I have found that anything below 17 degrees was just diminishing returns. Maybe a little more roll out, but carry distance was the same and the higher loft had a little better launch and consistency.

i sold my Ping G30 last spring as It was horrible for my game. Wwnt went an XRpro 16 and it is turning in to a real joy to hit off the tee and fairway. I average 245 off the tee and starting to get real consistent.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

My 3 wood is an absolute weapon! It's more accurate than my driver, and I only lose about 20m using it. I like having it as my sleeper weapon in the bag, and I can hit it longer than some people hit driver!

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 56 & 60 degrees

Putter: Taylormade TP Collection Soto

Golf Ball: Titliest Pro V1 and Srixon Z-Star 

My 3 wood is my go to club when I start to struggle with the driver. I know if I chunk a drive the 3 wood can save me a makeup shot

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

I do like my 3-wood, but I find it is a situational club for me. Some courses I play I won't even carry it with me, because the odds of me needing it are low (two of my favourite courses are under 6,000 yards). I also find that, as with most hybrids, it tends to be pretty draw-biased and that can be trouble for a good ole hooker like me. 

I would definitely get more mileage out of a well fitted driving iron for narrow par 4's and then anything over 215. I have a hybrid but I need to get fit into one with a more fade bias to keep myself from hooking. So basically, I should go buy two new clubs..... and then I have to make sure I good proper gapping, so there's those new Mizuno irons...

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

I don't use my 3-wood a lot, but when I do I hit some real worm burners.  As a newer golfer I still top a lot of shots and I have a hard time getting the ball in the air with it.  I do much better with my 18* 5-wood, which is one of my favorite clubs in the bag.  I can hit the 5 off the deck 150-170 yards, which for me is long. 

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 10.5* Helium Shaft

Woods: :taylormade-small: R580 5W, 7W

Hybrids: Nicklaus Dual Point 4H

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 Speedback One Length 6i - PW

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 48*, 52*, 58*

Putter: :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact 3

Bag: :Ogio: Grom 14-way stand bag

Ball: GolfJet Jet 4

Rangefinder: NX7 Pro or ShotScope V2

I have a 3w and 5w. Was hitting both really well at the beginning of the year off of the tee. I hit my 3w 260 and 5w 240. Works out nicely when playing the back tees and avoiding bunkers/trouble. Mostly go exclusively to them when hitting my driver poorly and want to find the fairway. Need to work on both off the deck.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:taylormade-small: M1 2017 10.5°  (Project X HZRDUS T1100 6.5 75g, Golf Pride CP2)
:taylormade-small: M2 2017 3W 15° (Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5 75g, Golf Pride CP2)

default_cobra-small.jpeg.2311ad26bb4cabebf0f635266eee64f0.jpeg King Tec 21° dialed to 20° (Mitsubishi MMT 80x)
:mizuno-small: Pro 223 PW-6, 225 5-4 (Project X LZ 6.5 125g, Golf Pride CP2)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 52° F-grind,  56° M-grind, 60° L-Grind
:taylormade-small: TP Black Copper Juno

• 1 year later...

I am a huge Mizuno irons fan. I am not a 3 Wood fan. I recently bought an ST190G driver and loved it so much, I got a ST190 TS 3 Wood and gamed it this weekend. I loved this so much I just placed my order for an ST190 5 Wood.
I am planning on doing a full review on Mizuno ST190 family and CLK hybrids and a what’s in the bag. Once all the components arrive, weather permitting.
So while this is my third post on this thread, you can ignore the other two.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

I try to use my 3 wood every once in a while. It usually does not go well, except off the tee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

My home track is not a “long” course, but is very tight with lots of water and waste areas.....I have a TM M6 3W that I love. It’s arguably my favorite club in the bag. Hit it off the tee about 75% of the time. I’m usually a tee or two back from my playing partners and I out drive my group 95% of the time.

:titleist-small: TSR2 - Ventus Red, 6X

:titleist-small: TSR2 3W - Ventus Red, 7X

:titleist-small: TSR2 5W - Ventus Red TR, 8X

:mizuno-small: JPX 223 Tour PW-7i/JPX 223 Forged 6i-4i - Nippon Modus 130X

:taylormade-small: MG3 - 50, 54, 58* -  Nippon Modus 130X

:scotty-small: Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura X5 

:titleist-small: Titleist Prov1

40 minutes ago, dalejbrass said:

My home track is not a “long” course, but is very tight with lots of water and waste areas.....I have a TM M6 3W that I love. It’s arguably my favorite club in the bag. Hit it off the tee about 75% of the time. I’m usually a tee or two back from my playing partners and I out drive my group 95% of the time.

I've tried the M6 and its awesome. Couldnt convince my wife to let me buy it so opted for the M4 and i can CRUSH it. Got it for under $100 on ebay (everyone probably ditching LH gear). I wish I could use my 3w more often but i crush my M6 driver so....

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

I have a 16.5* M4 that I love.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I love the F8 3-wood.  When the driver deserts me, it comes out.  It's spotty off the deck, though.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I havent had a 3-wood in my bag since August and I dont miss it.  I still find that I hit my 5-wood just as far and much more consistently.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I use a 4 wood which took me years to discover! I kept trying 3 woods and failed every time. The Callaway XR 4 Wood is easy to elevate and goes a country mile

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

On 7/24/2018 at 12:06 PM, WardenGolf said:

How often do you use your 3-Wood and is it worth a spot in your bag?

On most courses yes, and much more so since acquiring my new irons (played a PE2 2i before).  I'm finding the G400 3w (and 5w) super easy to hit well and providing good yardage coverage beyond my 4i.  Besides, now my bag looks so much more balanced 😆.

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinLaunch

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I am taking the 3w out of the bag this year.  I used it rarely last season, but only because my 3i is so good.  I’ll take the 3w out and add a second driver.  My current gamer is 44.5” and I’ll be tinkering with a 48” shaft on the second driver.  Not sure how that will work, but it should be fun to try.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

On 7/24/2018 at 2:06 PM, WardenGolf said:

I have played about 6-7 rounds of golf this year and I have hit my 3-Wood once off the tee. I'm debating if it's time to retire it for now. How often do you use your 3-Wood and is it worth a spot in your bag?

My "woods" don't have club numbers, but they're 13.5, 18.5, 21.5, and 24.5º.

I don't think that any of those qualifies as a 3-wood.

Wooden 3-woods were 17º and most metal ones are about 15º.  So I guess I'd have to say no.  My 275cc 13.5º driver has 2-wood loft.

As far as being worth a spot in the bag, though, most modern cart bags have fourteen full-length club dividers PLUS a putter well.

There's probably room unless you're puritanical about it!

Edited by RetiredBoomer

... I get some are frustrated with their 3 wood, hitting it poorly off the ground and maybe even struggling off the tee the few times they have hit it. For those players, taking it out of the bag makes sense, especially with 5 woods and hybrids available to take their place. But a 3 wood is a great weapon for those that can hit them consistently. So let me make a suggestion to those of you on the fence or hit it well one day and struggle the next:

... Take your driver out of the bag for at least one full round and hit your 3 wood off every tee. Hitting slightly shorter off the tee should also give you more opportunities to hit your 3 wood from the ground. I think a lot of the inconsistency from hitting your 3 wood poorly is the indecision when you can hit your driver that is almost always more forgiving, so you "try" your 3 wood but perhaps in the back of your mind you feel you don't hit it as well as your driver or hybrid. Taking driver out of the bag removes the indecision and forces you to rely on your 3 wood exclusively. I have found some struggle a little starting off their round but gain more confidence with every hole. In the end (it may take more than one full round)  you will know whether or not a 3 wood is for you. And after several rounds using only your 3 wood, once you put the driver back in the bag, you will have complete confidence when you hit your 3 wood. And if you still struggle, you know a 3 wood is not for you. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

So, I'm looking at going back to a 2 FW set-up. I'm looking for a big forgiving 3W that I can hit from anywhere and a bit more of a player 5W. I'm looking forward to trying some stuff at the Golf Show we have in February. Right now Cobra has my interest in both categories, as does Tommy Armour, but I guess we'll see what works best when I get there. I love fairway woods and just feel like it's time to restore some balance to the bag

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

6 hours ago, RetiredBoomer said:

My "woods" don't have club numbers, but they're 13.5, 18.5, 21.5, and 24.5º.

I don't think that any of those qualifies as a 3-wood.

Wooden 3-woods were 17º and most metal ones are about 15º.  So I guess I'd have to say no.  My 275cc 13.5º driver has 2-wood loft.

As far as being worth a spot in the bag, though, most modern cart bags have fourteen full-length club dividers PLUS a putter well.

There's probably room unless you're puritanical about it!

LOL still hit a 2 wood off the deck when I play vintage golf. It is a 1957 Macgregor clover leaf sole plate it measures out at 13* right on the nose. Now the old Callaway Steelhead + metal 3 wood I carried for 13 seasons was dead on 13*. Now I am carrying a Adams 16* FW which I term a 4 wood. TM V-Steel metal FWs are sorta a strange animal. Lofts are as follows

3 w---- 13.5

4w--- 16.5

5w---- 18

7w--- 21

9w--- 24

Yep I am a big V-Steel fan--- There is a rumor even though I have never seen one that there is a V-Steel Tour issue 3 wood head at 13*---

Edited by BIG STU

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Played my dad's course at 6,200 yards today and hit a bunch of 3 woods off the tee.  Super fun and easy to hit.  I love my 3 wood.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Still gaming the Bridgestone Tour B JGR 3 wood from our club test. Love that club! Best 3W I have ever hit. Smooth off the tee or the turf. I think a lot of players try to hit that particular club too hard (literally). Smooth it out and you’ll have better results. (With every club, eh?)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member