Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Do you actually use your 3-Wood?

WardenGolf

On 12/27/2019 at 11:34 AM, chisag said:

... I get some are frustrated with their 3 wood, hitting it poorly off the ground and maybe even struggling off the tee the few times they have hit it. For those players, taking it out of the bag makes sense, especially with 5 woods and hybrids available to take their place. But a 3 wood is a great weapon for those that can hit them consistently. So let me make a suggestion to those of you on the fence or hit it well one day and struggle the next:

... Take your driver out of the bag for at least one full round and hit your 3 wood off every tee. Hitting slightly shorter off the tee should also give you more opportunities to hit your 3 wood from the ground. I think a lot of the inconsistency from hitting your 3 wood poorly is the indecision when you can hit your driver that is almost always more forgiving, so you "try" your 3 wood but perhaps in the back of your mind you feel you don't hit it as well as your driver or hybrid. Taking driver out of the bag removes the indecision and forces you to rely on your 3 wood exclusively. I have found some struggle a little starting off their round but gain more confidence with every hole. In the end (it may take more than one full round)  you will know whether or not a 3 wood is for you. And after several rounds using only your 3 wood, once you put the driver back in the bag, you will have complete confidence when you hit your 3 wood. And if you still struggle, you know a 3 wood is not for you. 

I took my driver out to hit 3W off most tees and I was shooting 10 strokes better instantly and consistently.  I never put the driver back in. Yes, I'm giving up 20-25 yards off the tee now but I just moved up a box and play whites.  My rounds have never been so enjoyable!

:wilson_staff_small: :taylormade-small: :cobra-small: :touredgeexotics: :cleveland-small: :PXG:               

Cobra SpeedZone 9*
TourEdge EXS 18* 
TourEdge C721 22*H
PXG 0211 DC 6-P + G
Cleveland Zipcore Full Face 52/58*
Wilson Staff Infinite Michigan Ave
Taylormade Tour Response

I've had the same 3wood in the bag for the last 13 years and it is old faithful long par 5s or "safe" tee shots it's my go to. I went for my fitting and the fitter had me hit 4-5 shots and it was exactly the distance, spin, and launch numbers. Really hard to take it out of the bag. Hit it 2-3 shots every round.

Using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

I only carry one wood, a driver. I have recently started thinking about revamping the top of my bag and adding a 3 wood and a 7 wood though. Got my eye on the cobra tour big fairway wood. That or I really liked the TM original one. I know that is not a fairway wood per say, but I would use it as a second option off the tee. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

I actually hit my driver better and more consistently than I hit my 3 wood. So the 3 is on the bench right now. I can basically only use it off the tee, and I hit my 2 ironwood better so no need for both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

On 7/24/2018 at 1:06 PM, WardenGolf said:
I have played about 6-7 rounds of golf this year and I have hit my 3-Wood once off the tee. I'm debating if it's time to retire it for now. How often do you use your 3-Wood and is it worth a spot in your bag?

I rarely hit my 3-wood off the tee because it's no more accurate than my driver and I lack both need and confidence with it off the deck. I recently added a 5-wood to my bag (finally retired the 3-iron) and have hit three Par-5s in two that I've never hit before with it. I'm considering a "fairway finding" utility iron, but wonder if I really even need that.

My 4-iron can suffice on most courses from the tees I play, 6300-6600 yards. Perhaps I should consider a baffy for deep rough? But, I rarely see those conditions, either, in TX.

Sent from my SM-N920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Edited by J.B. TexasEx

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

On 12/27/2019 at 2:16 PM, Berg Ryman said:

So, I'm looking at going back to a 2 FW set-up. I'm looking for a big forgiving 3W that I can hit from anywhere and a bit more of a player 5W. I'm looking forward to trying some stuff at the Golf Show we have in February. Right now Cobra has my interest in both categories, as does Tommy Armour, but I guess we'll see what works best when I get there. I love fairway woods and just feel like it's time to restore some balance to the bag

I recently replaced the 3w, 5w and driver in my Cobra XL set with the Cobra F8 3w, 5w and driver. The difference was impressive and immediate! I immediately gained 20+ yards on my drives along with a noticable jump in accuracy and consistency. I would highly recommend giving the Cobra woods a long hard look. 

• 1 month later...

I’ve found I hit my 3H as far or farther than my 3W. I keep pulling it out on occasion, but end up putting it back in the “benched” bag.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”

havent had a 3W in the bag for about 25 years. I use a 4+W and its used every round, I get easily the same distance as a 3W, sometimes more with the slightly better loft.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Not really much these days. Driver is my favorite in my bag and there are not many holes I’m afraid to swing it.

In college I would use my 3 wood often. Off the tee, I would choose it over my driver on downwind holes when wind was really up.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

15 hours ago, tchat07 said:

3W stays in the bag for sure. I lose distance but am often more accurate vs my driver. Do not really use it off the fairway unless it's a solid flat lie.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

3 wood retired (actually sold) and a Cobra 5 wood took it's place - much, much better results. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

... I think I posted this earlier but it is worth repeating. The "new" ball spins less off woods enabling players to hit it higher and farther. The old 4/5 woods with the higher spinning ball  launched high with a lot of spin and could balloon or just lose distance compared to a 3 wood. Of course high swing speed players can still take advantage of todays 3 wood because even with lower spin, they can launch it high enough to maximize performance. But slower swing speed may not be able to launch a 3 wood high enough with a lower spinning ball and they can maximize distance with a higher launching 4/5 wood and can hit it even farther than a 3 wood.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

3 hours ago, chisag said:

... I think I posted this earlier but it is worth repeating. The "new" ball spins less off woods enabling players to hit it higher and farther. The old 4/5 woods with the higher spinning ball  launched high with a lot of spin and could balloon or just lose distance compared to a 3 wood. Of course high swing speed players can still take advantage of todays 3 wood because even with lower spin, they can laugh it high enough to maximize performance. But slower swing speed may not be able to launch a 3 wood high enough with a lower spinning ball and they can maximize distance with a higher launching 4/5 wood and can hit it even farther than a 3 wood.  

With what you said is one of the reasons I retired my old Cally Steelhead 3 plus with UST Pro Force Gold 65 shaft--- I carried that thing for 14 years--- got older and could not elevate it. I now carry the 16* Adams in my signature. In some circles that is called a 3 wood but I call it a 4 wood. The what I call a 5 wood that goes with it is 19* and an old V-Steel 5 wood is 18*. FTR the old Cally was a Tour Issue head and measures out at 13* So honestly FTR again I do not carry a 3 wood any more

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

8 hours ago, chisag said:

... I think I posted this earlier but it is worth repeating. The "new" ball spins less off woods enabling players to hit it higher and farther. The old 4/5 woods with the higher spinning ball  launched high with a lot of spin and could balloon or just lose distance compared to a 3 wood. Of course high swing speed players can still take advantage of todays 3 wood because even with lower spin, they can laugh it high enough to maximize performance. But slower swing speed may not be able to launch a 3 wood high enough with a lower spinning ball and they can maximize distance with a higher launching 4/5 wood and can hit it even farther than a 3 wood.  

I don't know if Cobra still does this, but as of the F8, the 3W was really a 3-4W, with lofts from 13*-16*.  I have it set up at 16* right now so I can hit it off the fairway.  I suppose you can call that a 4W.  When I don't feel good about my driver, I can crank the loft down to 13* and keep the ball on the planet off the tee.  

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

In my current bag, I have a 3 and a 5 wood. Both definitely see a lot of use when I do get the chance to play, which unfortunately is not much.

But when I do make some changes to the bag, I'm probably going to get rid of the 3 in favour of a 4 or 5 wood. I'm a big fairway wood guy though so I'll probably still keep two in the bag. Just go with a 4 and a 7 or a 5 and a 7 or something like that, depending on what works best for my game.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

22 minutes ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I don't know if Cobra still does this, but as of the F8, the 3W was really a 3-4W, with lofts from 13*-16*.  I have it set up at 16* right now so I can hit it off the fairway.  I suppose you can call that a 4W.  When I don't feel good about my driver, I can crank the loft down to 13* and keep the ball on the planet off the tee.  

... Yup, still adjustable. But the rails on the bottom of the 5/6 wood are thicker and heavier adding more weight low, which of course produces a higher launch. I have my 3/4 set at 16* and my 5/6 set at 17* but the 5/6 launches much higher. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... Yup, still adjustable. But the rails on the bottom of the 5/6 wood are thicker and heavier adding more weight low, which of course produces a higher launch. I have my 3/4 set at 16* and my 5/6 set at 17* but the 5/6 launches much higher. 

One of the reasons I have taken to the little ugly off set Adams Boxer 20* hybrid I found a little while back. It is more versatile for me at this point. I can play it forward now and with the offset and the face open some I can hit a soft high cut and stop it on a green.  I can play it back some and hit a low cut or draw stinger with it. The 5 wood flies high and it does not have one of those heavy soles either and I can not for the life of me hit the stinger with it. Same design head and I can hit the stinger with the 4 wood.  

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 7/24/2018 at 3:06 PM, jlukes said:

Absolutely. Off the tee and off the fairway. Finally found one I absolutely love and I'll never let her go

Once you find a 3 wood that you like, it stays. I’ve been using the same one for about 6 years. I think Henrik Stenson would agree. He used the same 3 wood for about 25 years it seemed. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Once you find a 3 wood that you like, it stays. I’ve been using the same one for about 6 years. I think Henrik Stenson would agree. He used the same 3 wood for about 25 years it seemed. 
I read an article somewhere that he more or less bought out the remainder of the discontinued Garaffalloy tour blue shafts that he has in his 3. I'm sure there's probably more to the story and I'm sure he probably has a Stenson spec'd shaft.. but generally speaking, the shaft he plays costs around $25.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I carried a 3w (15 degree) most of last year.  When I played in our Senior league (5700 yards) I used it of the tee quite a bit and had wedge in on a lot of holes.   When I played our regular men's league (6100) I hit driver 99% of the time and rarely used the 3 from the fairway.   Used the 7 wood alot!

I just picked up a SIM 5W 18* and plan on using it as previously did the 3 in the Sr league.  And hope in the Mens league, those extra 10 to 15 yards it provides over the 7W will help. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I bag theCobra F8 3-4W set st 14.5*, 5-)W set at 17*, 3H(19*) and 5H(25*). This combo covers me from 160(5H) 175(5W) 185(3H) & 195(3W). That’s pretty good coverage for a 69 yr old with 200-215 Cobra F8 Driver @ 10.5*.

So, to answer your question, yes I still use my 3 Wood.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 2 weeks later...

I never got along with the 3-wood.  swapped it out for a 5-wood on my fitter's recommendation.  Man was he right.  I use it off the tee on shorter holes and can actually use it off the fairway or rough and get enough height on it to be playable.  I don't think I've really lost anything on the tee shots either as I'm much more consistent with it.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I have one in the bag now, but it really doesn't get much use.  I'm a bit sporatic with my longer woods, so my 3 wood and driver aren't that much different directionally.  I carry a 2 hybrid, which I can hit around 240 off the tee and also use that more often on par 5's if needed.  I always go back and forth with both a 3 wood and a lob wedge as those two clubs, I could easily take out of the bag and it wouldn't make much difference.  

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

• 1 month later...

Yes. On my home course it is very helpful on three to four par five holes. In use a TEE xcg that gets me 210-220 yds off the deck. Although, I now have a Callaway XS OR 19 degree that is breathing down its neck. It can get 200-210 yards with more ease some days.

Edited by braveheart

I absolutely love my 3 wood for tight par 4's or If i just really need to find the fairway. I normally hit the driver straight but I step up to the tee just knowing my 3 wood will find the fairway when needed.

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

50 Deg:Sub70: TAIII Satin

54 deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

58 Deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

Putter:Sub70: 004 Single Bend Masters Edition

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Remember the TaylorMade Rocketballz?  That may still be one of the great 3W.  Well, I bought one back in the day, but after my swing speed dropped due to old age, it went in the garage.  For the past couple of years I have been playing 2H as my longest non-driver club.  This past year I have gained a little speed back after changing my swing, so last fall I dug it out.  I immediately started hitting great shots off the fairway.  That lasted for a few months, then one day I remembered why I put it in the garage.  🙄  Since I don't hit the ball very far, I need to get the ball down the fairway as far as possible for second shots.  When I hit the RBZ 3W well; I have better scores, but it's not a 60% club, let alone an 80% well-hit club.  So yesterday I received an RBZ 3HL fairway wood in nice shape off eBay for $62.  I wish I could try it, but our courses are closed.  I'm hoping I can hit this 17º 3HL as well as I hit my 17º 2H and gain a little more distance.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 2/1/2020 at 8:23 PM, chisag said:

I just bought a cobra 5/6 used on eBay for $52. It’s all beat up, but initial hits into the net feel good. I did notice the rails, kind of reminds me of my old Sonartec 3-wood.

i actually miss the old Sonartec...

oh, yes I still hit my 3 wood, on most par 5’s and short par 4’s

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Yep. I carry a X-hot 3w and 5w. Use them to get home in 2 on the midlength par 5s or to keep my tee shots short of trouble tight to the fairway. There is also a 9 hole course in the area that has some 260-300 yard par 4s where a Driver is too much. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce