TESTERS WANTED! ×

Do you actually use your 3-Wood?

WardenGolf

Cobra F9 3wd is a winner.  Love it off the deck and love it when my driver is day dreaming of other things.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I carry the Cobra F-max 3 wood and love it.  It has a 16 degree loft, which I’m sure some of you would consider more of a 4 wood, but hey, years ago my pitching wedge would have been called a 9 iron.  It’s easy to hit and get up in the air.  I wonder if some that have posted here would like their 3 wood better if they had a more lofted model that is easier to hit.

I often use it for my second shots on par 5’s if I have a good lie.  I generally don’t use it off the tee.  

Good golf, all!

• :ping-small: G425 Max driver
  • :ping-small: G425 SFT 3 wood
  • :ping-small: G425 3 and 5 hybrid
  • :callaway-small:  B21 irons 6-PW
  • :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 48 and CBX2 52/58 Wedges
  • :odyssey-small: 2 ball Ten Tour lined
  • :bridgestone-small:Tour BX ball
  • :Arccos: Arccos Caddie with Apple Watch
  • :footjoy-small: Hyperflex shoes
  • :BagBoy: Chiller Hybrid Stand Bag

I don’t even hit mine off the deck but I play it quite a bit off the tee

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

On 5/9/2021 at 4:23 PM, Murray06 said:

I think it depends on the course you play on a regular basis. The 2 I play have plenty of holes where hitting 3 wood off the tee is the better option, but also has 2 long par 5’s. For me it’s an important club as I always like a backup when driver is feeling off too. 

I agree. I’ve always bagged a 5w instead of a 3w, but have been considering picking up a 3w to swap in for some courses/conditions. 

Edited by Dog Faced Pony Soldier

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 w/ LA Golf DJ Signature Series (65-4)

3w: :srixon-small: ZX MKII w/ Graphite Design AD DI-7 XS

5w: :srixon-small: ZX MKII w/ Graphite Design AD DI-7 XS

7w: :srixon-small: ZX MKII w/ Graphite Design AD DI-7 XS

4i-GW: :mizuno-small: JPX921 Forged w/ Nippon Modus Tour 105 S

54º: :vokey-small: SM9 D Grind w/ Nippon Modus Tour 105 S

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5vB w/ LA Golf P-Series SOHO 

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x  play #45

Ball mark: Kraken Golf - Revolver, Weight Plate, Turntable

Tracked and scored by :Arccos: 

I use my 3 wood primarily off the tee, but if I have a wide open long par 5 I’ll hit off the deck. My SIM Max, is a beast off the tee, not as long as my driver, but I can still get it out there with most people’s driver. I have thought about switching it out for a strong hybrid, or a 4 wood, but I don’t have a lot of those yardages going into greens, so I stay with it just because it is so good off the tee. My buddy hates when I pull it out on the tee because it’s so lethal. 

:taylormade-small: STEALTH 2+ 10.5* FUJIKURA VENTUS TR BLACK 6X

:srixon-small: ZX MKII 3W 15* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX U.S.A. 8TX

:taylormade-small: Stealth+ 19 Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 1K 85TX

:srixon-small: ZX7 4-PW KBS $Taper 130 BLACK PVD

:cleveland-small: RTX 6 Zipcore 50/54.10 Full Project X 6.0

:ping-small: GLIDE 4.0 60.10S DYNAMIC GOLD TOUR ISSUE S400

:EVNROLL: ER2v MIDLOCK 40”

:maxfli: TOUR X

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope 

:SuperSpeed:

On 5/14/2021 at 3:16 PM, bogeymonsters said:

First time getting a club fitting and decided to go to two different fitters to see how the results would match up. In my first fitting I was told not to use a 3W and they fit me with a G425 5W. The fitter said the shorter shaft and additional loft will be easier to hit consistently and gain similar yardage to a 3W. In the second fitting, they told me not to go with a 5W and fit me for a G425 3W with a half inch cut off the shaft. I guess G425 is the right model, but I'm confused on whether I should go with the 3W or 5W - thoughts?

I personally prefer a 5w. Mid handicapper. My miss hits are far better with a 5w than a 3w. When im in a groove i can still carry 250, almost driver distance for me. The few 3w ive gamed “ok” dont hold greens as well as my 5w when im lucky enough to hit them.  

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

• 6 months later...
On 5/25/2020 at 1:02 PM, Hoyoymac said:

Was only using it 2 or 3 times a round max.  No confidence because I couldn’t get a 3 wood in the air from the fairway.  Had a 4 or 5 wood for awhile, not much better.  Just added a 7 wood with 21 deg.of loft.  I finally found what I needed.  Loft is my friend.  I de loft everything with a good amount of forward shaft lean.  As a result my ball flight is on the low side. I tend to swing from the inside out, wrap the club face around the ball and hit a draw.  I combined a high launching Stiff shaft to the 7 wood and am having my Eureka! moment.

Had a similar experience, found my Srixon #3 15° was great off a tee but struggled off fairways, went to a PXG 0211 #7 at 21° much better off the deck and almost as long as the #3 Wood off a tee. the #7 Wood knocked out the #3 Wood and 3 Hybrid!

Srixon Z-Star will stay, just for those bad driving days!

"They called it golf because all of the other four letter words were used" Raymond Floyd

I hardly ever use my 3 wood.  Seriously considering just removing it from my bag.  I have much better results from my 5 wood.

• Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png      TSR1
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg    Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

A couple strange things in 2021....

Perhaps in part due to my decreasing length, I'm finding more use for a 3w in my bag, on the par 5 holes at my course (still largely using a 2h or 2 iron as alternate tee club). 

And stranger, considering my decreasing swingspeed, I've been having success using a 3w at 13* off the deck.  Both my King LTD and Stage 2 Tour worked pretty well for me, turned down to 13* or so.  Even trotted out my 12* TEE E8 Beta (13* actual loft) at the end of the year, with good results.

Golf is a funny game.  

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

I've payed the last 2 years without one. I bought one last week. 1 dome session showed me I have work to do if I want hit it well. The good news is: I have all winter to work on it.

Given my driver distance there are too many longer par 4s where I can't get home in two with the 5 wood. So, just another adventure in the continuing saga of my golf game.

2 minutes ago, JalanK said:

Given my driver distance there are too many longer par 4s where I can't get home in two with the 5 wood. So, just another adventure in the continuing saga of my golf game.

IMO, If you are playing par 4s that require Driver then 3W to reach you are most likely playing the wrong tees.   While you can practice 3 wood,  it probably won't benefit you significantly and you might be better off working on speed to increase driver distance. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

7 hours ago, cnosil said:

IMO, If you are playing par 4s that require Driver then 3W to reach you are most likely playing the wrong tees.   While you can practice 3 wood,  it probably won't benefit you significantly and you might be better off working on speed to increase driver distance. 

... Great points. I think many may benefit from just moving up a tee box on long par 4's. The course I played over the summer has a 460 yd par 4 and moving up a tee box it is "only" 445. Hitting a 250yd drive leaves me 210 from the silver tees but only 195 from the white tees. That is the difference between an iron and a hybrid or 5 wood depending on the wind. After playing there for a couple months, there are a few others tees that moving up meant a more enjoyable round. Driver short iron on almost every hole isn't much of a challenge either.  It is always a compromise between playing a course that allows me to use all the clubs in my bag or just being too long or too short, so making my own score card is something I do more often than not.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

I play the tees recommended for my driver distance. However on a couple courses, there are holes which are just shy of par 5 designation, leaving me a long 2nd shot, which I cannot reach in two with a 5 wood. I also bought it to use for 2nd shots on par 5s - I should have been clearer about that. I'm going to devote this winter off season to SuperSpeed Golf, as well as ramping up  my workouts. As I age, I just turned 70, I hope to at least maintain my distance, and ideally increase it.

3 hours ago, chisag said:

... Great points. I think many may benefit from just moving up a tee box on long oar 4's. The course I played over the summer has a 460 yd par 4 and moving up a tee box out is "only" 445. Hitting a 250yd drive leaves me 210 from the silver tees but only 195 from the white tees. That is the difference between an iron and a hybrid or 5 wood depending on the wind. After playing to for a couple months, there are a few others tees that moving up meant a more enjoyable round. Driver short iron on almost every hole isn't much of a challenge either.  It is always a compromise between playing a course that allows me to use all the clubs in my bag or just being too long or too short, so making my own score card is something I do more often than not.  

While you may not be suggesting this: If the overall length is within my range, I'm not going to play a different tee on a longer hole just to reach the green in reg, unless the course has mixed tees that have a given slope and rating. It's tough when there is  about a 500 yard difference between two sets of tees, while the slope difference is not that significant. I'll take my lumps on the longer tees rather than shorten the course to the extent it's a pitch and putt on too many holes. I don't hold people up when I play so, that's not a concern or reason for choosing the shorter tees.

I use my 3 wood on short par 4's and for chipping out from under trees.

• Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 5 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM9 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

I have not been able to hit my 3W consistently off of the fairway for several years, so I dumped it. Hitting it off of the tee once or twice a round was not enough to keep it in my bag. My 5w is more versatile in that I can hit it off of the fairway and almost as far as a 3W off of the tee. In place of the 3W, I added a "heavenwood" that is 7W loft with a longer shaft. I LOVE that club. It is incredibly consistent for me. I can hit it from almost any lie and know that it will be straight and long (for me). Please note that I am not a long hitter. My drive is only 200-220. I can hit the 5 about 200 or a little more with roll from the fairway. HW goes about 190. The two higher lofts are much better for my swing speed.

:ping-small: G400 Max driver,  Alta CB shaft R

:callaway-small: heavenwood

:cobra-small: Hybrids - 3 and 4 set to different settings depending on course. Sometimes a Taylormade 4

Maltby STi2 irons 5-GW, Fujikura Shaft

:vokey-small: 54, 58

:taylormade-small: Ardmore 3 putter

I use it but it is one of my frequently mis hit clubs. 

Played golf for over 50 years until my health and business calendar reduced my time to less then 5 rounds a year. Then 4 years ago I retired, changed my diet and lifestyle, lost 100 pounds and got back on the course. Its been a struggle but things are getting better.

Had a Cleveland 3W for years that was just taking up space in my bag.  Bought a new Titleist 3W this year and loved it when I first got it, fell out of love in the middle of the year, then back in love these last few rounds.  It's kind of like my Driver in the love department 

Driver: Cobra F6

3W: Titleist TSi3

5W: TM RocketBallz -(my favorite club)

Hybrids: Cleveland 2-4

Irons: Callaway Apex DCB 4-PW

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMB 52 & 56

Putter: TM Rossa Monte Carlo Mallet 

From golf.com just 6 days ago: https://golf.com/instruction/1-club-amateur-golfers-should-replace/   They recommended replacing the 3 wood with a hybrid for anyone with a double digit handicap unless the wood is used as a driver replacement.  Long before the article, I had taken all woods but my driver out of my bag.  I get the same distance with my 3 hybrid I got from my 3 wood, I am more accurate, and hybrids are more versatile, for example, better from the rough than a wood.  No plan to go back to the woods.

Callaway Epic Max driver

Callaway Big Bertha 3 hybrid

Callaway Mavrik Max 4-6 hybrids

Callaway Mavrik Max 7-AW irons

Callaway MD 5 sand and lob wedges

Odyssey Stroke Lab Doublewide putter

I use my 3W quite often off the tee and off the deck. If I find I am not hitting my Driver great then it gives me an alternative off the tee.

Yes, it will stay in my bag, in fact I am in the process of buy a new one.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

Dropping it from my bag and adding a 7 Heavenwood. The 3W is inconsistent. My driver is really accurate and I hit the 5W almost as far as the 3W, but with more accuracy. 

Driver, 5W, 4H, 5H, 6I - 9I, PW, AW:  Callaway Rogue ST Max

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* Satin Low, 54* Black High, 50* Raw Mid

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot OG 7S 

Balls:  Pro-V1 from March - October

Supersoft from November - February

Cart: Sun Mountain Speed Cart circa 2004

I use mine a lot. I tee off on tighter holes with it and on most par 5s to have a go at the green. I also have a 4 wood which is so easy to hit.  Not getting rid of mine!

Family, old cars or bikes and GOLF

I believe the only reason to carry a 3W will depend on how far your driver is off the tee.   For example, I love my 3W but only off the deck, never off the tee.  I use it for second shots into long par 4's and 2nd shots on many par 5's.  If you only have it in the bag to occasionally drive with, I don't see the point of carrying it.  I use it off the deck 4-6 times a round depending on the course.     

Edited by Bubbly Pop

:ping-small: G425 Driver - 10.5 degree

Callaway EPIC MAX 3W

Callaway Heavenwood 7W 

:ping-small: G425 4 Hybrid - 22 degree

Takomo 201's - Nippon MODUS 105 shafts

:scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 8 Putter - Original "Two Thumb" grip 

Edel Trapper Wedge Lob Wedge 60 Degree Used Golf Club at GlobalGolf.com 54 and 58 degree V-Grind SMS wedges

3 hours ago, JalanK said:

While you may not be suggesting this: If the overall length is within my range, I'm not going to play a different tee on a longer hole just to reach the green in reg, unless the course has mixed tees that have a given slope and rating. It's tough when there is  about a 500 yard difference between two sets of tees, while the slope difference is not that significant. I'll take my lumps on the longer tees rather than shorten the course to the extent it's a pitch and putt on too many holes. I don't hold people up when I play so, that's not a concern or reason for choosing the shorter tees.

... That is the wonderful thing about this game. You are free to play it anyway you like. With so many courses having combo tees on their scorecard I think it is just laziness or economic reasons to not offer combo tees when it is quite far between tee boxes. Too short or too long is no fun for anyone and 500yds or more between tees can make some par 4 holes par 4.5's to outright par 5's. Designers take into account approach shots on every hole and while some long par 4's are designed to have a wood run up on the green, others have the front guarded by bunkers or water because the designer expects players to be using a mid iron not a hybrid or wood. If you can't carry those obstacles you are not playing the hole the way it was designed. 

... The course I mentioned is either 6722 or 6264 and I designed my own combo scorecard that is 6533 and allows me to use every club in my bag. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

34 minutes ago, chisag said:

... That is the wonderful thing about this game. You are free to play it anyway you like. With so many courses having combo tees on their scorecard I think it is just laziness or economic reasons to not offer combo tees when it is quite far between tee boxes. Too short or too long is no fun for anyone and 500yds or more between tees can make some par 4 holes par 4.5's to outright par 5's. Designers take into account approach shots on every hole and while some long par 4's are designed to have a wood run up on the green, others have the front guarded by bunkers or water because the designer expects players to be using a mid iron not a hybrid or wood. If you can't carry those obstacles you are not playing the hole the way it was designed. 

... The course I mentioned is either 6722 or 6264 and I designed my own combo scorecard that is 6533 and allows me to use every club in my bag. 

My home course has two vastly different 9s. While similar in length, the back nine is more difficult due to significant terrain changes, some forced carries, natural grasses areas which are not marked as hazards or drop areas, and over the course of a season, can become quite long and thick. This leads to lost ball penalties.  The back also has a far greater exposure to the wind. People I have played with will play the front nine from the "White", then play the back from the "Senior" tee box. I think most of them enter their scores as a total for the round, usually from the longer tees. If you just enter the scores as two 9 hole rounds handicapping is no problem.

Mixing tee boxes, did you adjust slope and rating for hcp. purposes? Where could one fine the info necessary to do that?

Edited by JalanK

Don't have a 3 wood...use a 5 wood turned down to 16°. Perfect off the tee and deck.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips