Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Do you actually use your 3-Wood?

WardenGolf

45 minutes ago, JalanK said:

Mixing tee boxes, did you adjust slope and rating for hcp. purposes? Where could one fine the info necessary to do that?

... I just don't enter those scores. I really don't care much about handicaps these days as I usually shoot around par. Bad days I am over, good days I am under and average days I am right around par so my index has been pretty much the same for a few years now. My home course has several really tough (long) par 4's and unless I hit a terrible tee shot I usually play a hybrid or long iron into those greens. When the day comes that I can no longer reach those holes in two I will combo before moving up on the mid length and shorter holes. So many ways to enjoy this game and keep it challenging...

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I absolutely love hitting my 3 wood regardless of brand/model. When I returned to golf after 20 years it was after many months that I put a driver in my bag. 3 wood off the tee or deck it always gives me confidence 

Whats in the bag:

Titleist TSi3 Driver 9°, Aldila NVS 55G Ladies Flex Shaft

Titleist 917F2 3 Wood 14.25°, Fujikura Speeder 665 Regular Flex Shaft

Titleist 818H1 18° Hybrid, Tensei 60HY Regular Flex Shaft

Titleist 818H1 21° Hybrid, Tensei 60HY Regular Flex Shaft

Mizuno JPX900 5-PW Iron, KBS Tour C Taper Lite 105 Regular Flex SShaft

Vokey Wedges -  50°, 54° & 58° S Grind, Wedge Flex Shaft

Scotty Cameron California Fastback Putter

Titleist Pro V1x

I'm a senior short knocker.  I carry two 3-woods, both adjustable. My TaylorMade is adjusted to 14 and my Ping is adjusted to 17.  I use mostly the Ping from the fairways, but if there's a chance of reaching the green with the TaylorMade without much hazard risk, I'll hit it.  I tee off with a three wood or driving iron when a driver is too much or the shot is too risky.  I don't hit 5-woods consistently.  I ditched them long ago.

Edited by kikbuti
corrected unwanted autotype

I love playing golf.

WITB

• Driver - TaylorMade M2 12 degree A-flex-
  • 3-wood TaylorMade SIM Titanium 15-
  • 3-wood Ping G SF-Tec 16+
  • 2 Crossover Titleist U505
  • Ping G430 Hybrid 4
  • Irons Ping G Max irons 4-W
  • SW - Titleist Vokey SM8
  • Putter - Kirkland Signature
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour

11 hours ago, chisag said:

... That is the wonderful thing about this game. You are free to play it anyway you like. With so many courses having combo tees on their scorecard I think it is just laziness or economic reasons to not offer combo tees when it is quite far between tee boxes. Too short or too long is no fun for anyone and 500yds or more between tees can make some par 4 holes par 4.5's to outright par 5's. Designers take into account approach shots on every hole and while some long par 4's are designed to have a wood run up on the green, others have the front guarded by bunkers or water because the designer expects players to be using a mid iron not a hybrid or wood. If you can't carry those obstacles you are not playing the hole the way it was designed. 

... The course I mentioned is either 6722 or 6264 and I designed my own combo scorecard that is 6533 and allows me to use every club in my bag. 

Hi Sam:  Good lucking set up in the bag.  Mine has changed a lot in the last two years as I'm now 74 years old.  Take a peek below. 

Ciao.

TXG Custom Cobra F9 9.5*,  Accra 140 M2 

TXG Custom Cobra F9 14.5* , Accra 140 M2 

TXG Custom Cobra King Ltd. Black 5-wood. 17.5*, Accra 140 M2 

TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 7-wood 21*, Accra 140 M R

TXG Custom PXG 0211, 6-pw, Recoil E460 R

Callaway Jaws MD5 46*, Tour Issue DG S200 

Cleveland RTX4 55/08, Tour Issue DG S400

TXG Custom Mizuno T20, 50/07, 60/07, Nippon 950H Neo

TXG Custom Cobra King Nova, 25 gram weights, Garsen Non-Taper grip

I don't really have a 3wood. I carry a 16° wood with 42" shaft. I guess that is a 4 wood.

Anyway, I do use that thing a lot... I mean, my driver is the absolute on/off part of my game, possibly worse than my putting. On a given day I might drive "fine" (ie straight... I typically spin the ball too much with that dawn club, so I rarely get more than 260 yards out of it) and on an other one, I block 7 out of 10 drives miles right. So here comes the 4 wood. It goes about 240 yards, pushing to 260 on dry hot days and it draws a few yards or some days cuts a few yards... Sure I do get the occasional snap hook, but that's all. So I tend to use it often off the tee. I don't have many holes where it's making sense for me to use it for a second shot (the par 5s that are "the right distance" to get there in two with that club are either double dog-legs or with tiny greens guarded severely) but it can help if the previously mentioned snap hook has me playing my second shot from the woods 150 yards from the tee box 🤣

Aim small... pray to miss small

My bag: Ping hoofer lite. My driver: Nike Vapor Pro. 4w: Inesis 500. Hybrid: Nike Vapor Flex. Irons (4-PW): Takomo 301 combo on KBS tour X. Wedges: Vokey SM7 52° and 58°. Putter: Cleveland Classic HB1. Balls: Inesis Tour900 yellow.

I had this same experience. Then I got fitted again. After getting it zoned in to where it hits a 220-240 shot it became immensely useful. I tried tinkering on my own a million times but nothing made an impact like a good fitting… ensured my gaps were filled and made me feel confident with it off the fairway but also w the right rough lie. 

Mike Thibideau
Driver: :callaway-small: Mavrik Max 10.5
4-wood: :callaway-small: Epic Speed 16.5 
4-hybrid: :taylormade-small: R15 21
Irons 5-P: :callaway-small: Mavrik Max
Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 46, 50, 54, 60
Shoes: :travis-mathew-1:MoneyMaker, Nike Roche G
Glove: Asher Golf
Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft, :callaway-small: Supersoft (conditions dependent)

I use my 3 wood four to five times a round. Only once off the tee. My course has three par 5's and none are straight forward.  The holes have turns and large elevation changes. You have to be very accurate off the tee. If I am in good position I try to go for the green. Hardly ever make it due to either the down hill lie and hitting to and up hill green. I'm not talking little elevation changes either.The holes are 472, 470, and 503 from the white tees which are the normal men's tee's. I am around  240 off the tee with my driver. My 3 wood gets me 220 yards. 

The one time I use it off the tee is is because it's a short hole of 315 yards. But you can't go directly for the green. Trees and a trap are in the way. The green is tucked in behind them. You play straight out or to the right side of the fairway then angle into the green. I lay up to a comfortable 100 yard approach. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Different stokes- all dependent on what YOU need for the courses you play. Is it primarily a mini driver or do we actually need it for specific spots on the course, par 5 in two? 

I dumped mine as I don't need it for the courses I play and the yardages anymore. Is the 17* vs. the 13* I use to play more accurate? Yes and I don't need to throttle it outright on every hole since I don't play courses that don't need max. distance either. I play a tighter course with no advantage of being 25yds. + longer but SHO need them to be more accurate for my junky swing. 

David

:taylormade-small: SIM 9* - Hzdrus RDX Black 70

:taylormade-small: M1-3HL- Hzdrus RDX Blue 70

:callaway-small:     Steelhead 7WD RCH99

:bridgestone-small: J15 CB 4-pw C-Taper Lite

:benhogan-small:Equalizer Wedges 50*-54*-58* V- Tour

:seemore:- M3W

3W is my favorite club to hit! Up until a few years ago I had two 3W's (12 and 15 degree). Now I just have 15 degree to add a wedge. Use it on shorter par 4's, or navigating dog legs/bunkers to avoid trouble. Use it more from the tee, than fairway. To shoot for green on par 5 has to be clear path to the green w limited trouble or I lay up to wedge zone.

MUST stay in the bag!

Edited by Billy-Bo-Jim-Bob

Driver - Titleist TSi3 9.0  (Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 6.0)

3 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15 (Ventus Blue 7S)

5 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19 (Ventus Blue 7S)

Irons - Titleist T100s 4-PW + 49 (KBS $-Taper)

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM9 54D (KBS 610) & 58M (KBS 610)

Putter - Titleist Scotty Cameron - Phantom X 11.5

Ball - Titleist Pro V1 & Taylormade Tour Response (Blue/Pink Stripe)