TESTERS WANTED! ×

Do you actually use your 3-Wood?

WardenGolf

At least 3 to 4 times a round if not more  if I need something down a tight hole.. 3wood comes in handy. Par 5. Of the tee 

Versitile club! 

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50  (secondary shaft HRDZ Black 6.0 Stiff)
3 -Wood:  Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  Sub70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: Sub70 949x 4 Hybrid with Project X 5.5 Hybrid Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges: Sub70 TAIII w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: L.A.B Mezz1, 34 in
Balls: MaxFli Tour X, TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx 
GPS:   Shot Scope X5 with Tracking

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch
TESTED: Bag Boy ZFT Bag

• 2 months later...
On 5/21/2020 at 11:39 PM, RyanJohnson_Official said:

I use my 3 wood 2 or 3 times per round, but I never feel like I know where it is going to go. I wonder if switching to a 4 wood might actually do me some good as some have suggested here...

Follow up on this one. Yes, switching to a 4 wood has been AMAZING.

I now play the TS2 16.5 degeee and it has been a life-changing. My 3-wood shots were always impossible to get off the ground and never carried very far. Additionally, I could never hold a green, or really take a shot unless there were no hazards between me and the pin 250 yards away. Now I get 240-245 consistently and it is BEAUTIFUL ball flight. Paired with the HZRDUS red shaft and it has been ideal. If it stays up too high, I can bring it back to 15.75 degree thanks to the adjustable hosel, but man, its the dream. 

Cheers!

WITB:

Callaway Rogue ST - Driver

Titleist TS2 - 4 Wood

Titleist 818 H1 Hybrid

Mizuno JPX 850 Forged Irons

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54 and Cleveland RTX4 58

#ROCKCHALK

Played my new cobra speed zone today, and liked it a lot. I think I'll scoot up to the whites tomorrow and tee off with it all day to get a better feel

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Play my 3W all the time off the deck!

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Mavrik Max 9 degree loft w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Maverick Max 3W, 5W w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Mavrik Max 3H, KBS tour prototype 70/80 X-Stiff 80g

Speedblade 4-PW, AW, SW KBS Siff 85g

Ghost Sypder putter

bourbon to be drank neat

I swapped my three wood out for a five wood years ago. I cant hit a three wood off the fairway to save my life, and I'm not long enough with the driver that I'd need a three wood for shorter distances. I just find the five wood more useful all around.

:ping-small: G410 Plus Driver, Ping Tour 173-65 Regular

:ping-small: G410 5 wood, Ping Tour 173-65 Regular

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 3 Iron, Alta CB 70 Regular

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-LW Project X LZ 5.5

:scotty-small:   Phantom X 12

:titelist-small: Pro V1x Yellow

:Arccos:

Hit the new Cobra a lot today, and its slightly longer, but it seemed really easy to hit and its consistent. Par 5's are easier, especially with a big drive from the Mavrik

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I replaced my 15° Gigagolf 3 wood which I could only hit off the tee with a Maltby KE4 Tour TC 16° 4 wood and it is really working well. I can hit it off the deck or off the tee and keep my ball in the fairway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

I was sort of anti-3w for a long time. It wasn't until I got a relatively newish (2016 Callaway) model that I found one that performed reliably for me. The older (early 2000s) models I had tried before just didn't get it done for me.

only use the 3w from the fairway. Off the tee, I much prefer to bunt my driver when I need a tee shot into a shorter/tighter target. The big head is just more forgiving.

Even though I only use the 3w for par-5 approaches, it does prove to be pretty useful - potentially gaining me a stroke or more when the hole conditions are inviting enough to use it. So, low frequency of use, but generally it has high enough reward that it keeps a solid spot in my bag.

This all said, I think it's a demanding club to hit - probably the most demanding in the bag for most golfers. For those that don't learn how to use it and practice it, I think it can wreck a round in a hurry. Just because the pros use a 3w as a "safe club" from the tee, that doesn't translate to those who haven't learned how to use it. Mishits are all-too-common as the shaft is the next to longest in the bag, and the clubface really isn't all that big. Hitting a clubface edge is a pretty common occurrence with these clubs for many players.

Last year I ditched my 3 (15) and 5 (18) woods and replaced them with a 4w at 16.5.  I struggled with the 3w off the deck and wanted a lob wedge in my bag.  Got fitted for the 4w, big difference right there, probably lost 5-10 yds off the tee.  But, gained 10 carry off the deck while total distance was only 5 yds less. I have a bigger gap between driver and 4w but the rest of the bag was able to tighten up which helped my scores and that is more important than losing some yards.  

PXG gen2X, 10.5, Adila NV nxt 65s

Tour Edge CBX 3t 16.5, HZDUS Yellow 6.0S

3&4 hybrid Cobra AmpCell S shaft

5-PW Callaway Mavrik Pro, Project X LZ 105 6.0

GW&SW Cobra AmpCell TT Dynalite 90 S

60 Bettinardi forged, TT Gold S200

Srixon ZStar

I was having trouble with my three wood off the deck until I tried my friend's Callaway Mavrik Max. I actually hit it better that the Taylormade 2017 M2 three high launch (16.5*). So i bought the three and the five. I've only played twice but my success rate was very high. As we move into cooler weather I'll have more fairway woods into our long par fours. Hopefully, they continue to perform well.

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

8 hours ago, TeeBrain said:

I was sort of anti-3w for a long time. It wasn't until I got a relatively newish (2016 Callaway) model that I found one that performed reliably for me. The older (early 2000s) models I had tried before just didn't get it done for me.

only use the 3w from the fairway. Off the tee, I much prefer to bunt my driver when I need a tee shot into a shorter/tighter target. The big head is just more forgiving.

Even though I only use the 3w for par-5 approaches, it does prove to be pretty useful - potentially gaining me a stroke or more when the hole conditions are inviting enough to use it. So, low frequency of use, but generally it has high enough reward that it keeps a solid spot in my bag.

This all said, I think it's a demanding club to hit - probably the most demanding in the bag for most golfers. For those that don't learn how to use it and practice it, I think it can wreck a round in a hurry. Just because the pros use a 3w as a "safe club" from the tee, that doesn't translate to those who haven't learned how to use it. Mishits are all-too-common as the shaft is the next to longest in the bag, and the clubface really isn't all that big. Hitting a clubface edge is a pretty common occurrence with these clubs for many players.

I am one that for years used what I call a "punch driver" on short holes where accuracy is important.  After playing my 4W for a season only on the fairway, I have confidence that I can make a reasonably decent shot off the tee.  I don't use it off the tee except on the one long par 3 at my course.  I always used my punch driver shot but that shot comes with a risk for me.  Since it's not a full swing, my body doesn't rotate like a full swing and my arms will take over resulting in a pull hook.

If your 3W is pretty useful on par 5 and you gain strokes with it, I would think that the 3W would be useful off the tee where you have the best conditions for hitting a 3W, and you can take your usual regular swing.  It will take some practice, but the result might be more repeatable than bunting your driver.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 9/21/2020 at 5:45 PM, Kenny B said:

I am one that for years used what I call a "punch driver" on short holes where accuracy is important.  After playing my 4W for a season only on the fairway, I have confidence that I can make a reasonably decent shot off the tee.  I don't use it off the tee except on the one long par 3 at my course.  I always used my punch driver shot but that shot comes with a risk for me.  Since it's not a full swing, my body doesn't rotate like a full swing and my arms will take over resulting in a pull hook.

If your 3W is pretty useful on par 5 and you gain strokes with it, I would think that the 3W would be useful off the tee where you have the best conditions for hitting a 3W, and you can take your usual regular swing.  It will take some practice, but the result might be more repeatable than bunting your driver.

Perhaps. But I've been hitting (and practicing) the bunt/chip driver for a couple of decades. I'm pretty darn comfortable with it and it is a reliable shot. Since I'm still working full time, I'm in a mode where I'd rather keep my existing habits in tune rather than introduce new variables with little upside.

Edited by TeeBrain

I don't hit the ball very far so I use the 3 wood on the long 200 yard par 3's, gets me pretty close each time. Always handy to have, especially if your driver isn't working that day, you can always switch it with the 3W for more consistency. 

:ping-small: Driver: G425 Max 10.5*
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:ping-small: Wood: G425 Max
:titelist-small: Hybrid: TS2 23*
:titelist-small: Irons:  6 to GW, T300 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58K
:cameron-small: Putter: 1998 Tei3 Newport Long Neck
:titelist-small: Ball: Yellow Titleist VG3
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag

I Love the Art of Putting!

• 2 weeks later...

Might be in the minority here but I use my 3w and 5w more than my driver just because I can control it more and get my desired rising stinger or low straight shot 8/10 times. I seem unable to turn the face on a driver as quick unlike a smaller wood 

Driver- Rogue ST LS

3W- Sim TI 

5W- Apex UW

UI- T200 3 iron

Irons- Vapor Pro 5-9

SM8 46* SM9 50* SM9 55* Jaws 59*

Now that I carry one officially, yes. I've had a 16.5 degree fairway in my bag for years, but this is the first season I've bagged a club with a 3W on it. I use it for a few tee shots a round, and occasionally to go at a par 5 in two.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I use my 3-wood a lot, but thinking about taking it out as it only goes a few yards more than my 5-wood.

:cobra-small:Radspeed 10.5*

:titleist-small:TS 15* 3 Wood

:mizuno-small:CLK 19* Hybrid

:mizuno-small:JPX 900 Forged P-4 Irons

:titleist-small:SM7 52*&56* Wedges

:titleist-small:SM6 60* Wedge

:taylormade-small:Ghost Spider Putter

:bridgestone-small:Tour B XS

I have a Taylormade Speedzone 3W that I bought off the rack before I got educated on fittings. I can't consistently hit it at all. I'm debating replacing with a hybrid or a 5 wood. I need something off the tee that I can hit on shorter Par 4s. Something that is longer than my 3 iron but shorter than the driver.

I don't carry a 3w. My 5w is wonderful. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

I've been using my 3 wood a lot more recently.  I have been hitting it farther than my driver and it is a lot more accurate than my driver. 

Driver: Nike Vapor Speed 10.5* 

3 wood: Nike Vapor Speed

2H: Nike Vapor Speed

Irons: Nike Vapor Speed 4i-SW

Putter: Nike Method Core

• 4 months later...

Just saying if you need a 3 - wood that is actually fun to hit and easy to get off the ground, you might want to take a look at the MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood!  I've never been a fairway wood fan however after hitting a friend of mine's on the range, I was drooling like a coon pup on his first treeing.  I had to have one and after gaming it for several weeks, it has earned a solid spot in my bag.  Seriously good fairway wood and it makes my highly recommend list.  Oh and it's 15 degrees and still easy to elevate.....  Just saying 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

1 hour ago, ole gray said:

Just saying if you need a 3 - wood that is actually fun to hit and easy to get off the ground, you might want to take a look at the MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood!  I've never been a fairway wood fan however after hitting a friend of mine's on the range, I was drooling like a coon pup on his first treeing.  I had to have one and after gaming it for several weeks, it has earned a solid spot in my bag.  Seriously good fairway wood and it makes my highly recommend list.  Oh and it's 15 degrees and still easy to elevate.....  Just saying 

Thanks for the heads up - I'm on a quest to find a usable 14th club - I gain nothing over 5 wood by putting my current 3 wood in the bag - hit them both the same distance and given that I carry the 5 wood much farther and launch it higher the 5 wood is a better choice.  

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

6 minutes ago, revkev said:

Thanks for the heads up - I'm on a quest to find a usable 14th club - I gain nothing over 5 wood by putting my current 3 wood in the bag - hit them both the same distance and given that I carry the 5 wood much farther and launch it higher the 5 wood is a better choice.  

The Maverik is definitely a sweet 3- wood.  It does have a large footprint however imo the way they designed it makes it comforting both on and off the tee.  The weight is centered low and back thus elevating it is much easier than any previous 3- wood I have tried. It's a no brainer for my game. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

• 1 month later...

Last weekend I thought I had my M6 3w and my ST190 5w. I hit my “5w” on 7 off the tee and got a fortunate bounce and stayed in the fairway. On 8 I hit it and was 18” from running out of the fairway and Into the creek that crosses it. On the par 5 11th I hit it off the deck and once again was surprised at how low it was and how far it went. On 12 I took it out of the bag and noticed it was my ST190TS set to 14° not the the 18° 5 wood with the shorter shaft. No wonder it was lower and longer.

So last week I played 2 3woods.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

After testing the Ben Hogan GS53 3W it has a permanent place in my bag. I use it to tee off on short par 4's with hazards I know I can't carry and I am still working on using it off the deck to try and get to short par 5's in 2 but it is a club I use for sure.

Driver : :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 9* MC Kuro Kago Silver 60 Stiff

Woods : :benhogan-small: GS53 3 Wood 14* Mitsubish Tensei Blue 73g Regular

Hybrids: sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 949X Project X HZRDUS RDX Black 

Irons : sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 699 Pro Black 5-AW 1* flat KBS Tour V 90 Stiff Shafts 

Wedges : File:Kirkland Signature logo.svg - Wikimedia Commons 52, 56, 60 

Putter : :taylormade-small:Spider Red

Bag : datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg lightweight cart bag | motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgDry Series Bag

Ball :  :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX (2019) | Screen-Shot-2017-07-20-at-7_24.05-AM-300x118.png.9f1c4cb1d62511ee40a05bd6d5795f97.png ProV1x (2021)

Rangefinder : 836d5c8b9e44880db86abcd3b735255d.w2480_h836.jpg.bcd4050c642957abbdca7453a6cb0469.jpg ULT-X

Pushcart : motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgM5 GPS DHC Electric Push Cart

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.4

• 3 weeks later...

I just started using mine more frequently and they are clubs that definitely require a lot of confidence. The course I play you really can't use your driver on more than 5-6 holes because of hazards and how narrow some of the holes are so the 3 wood comes in handy.

Edited by stephenmatt

I rarely use my 3 wood. Most of the time if a par 5 is reachable in 2, It's driver and iron. If a par 5 requires driver then 3 wood for me, unless its wide open, I'm laying up to 100 yards and trying to stick it tight with wedge.

image.png.258d22fcc4d0d25f5fdb8eea25fcd23f.png B21 9.5* w/ PX Evenflow Black 6.5

:ping-small: G410 SFT 16* 3-wood w/ PX Evenflow Black 6.5

image.png.de7870be9e5ebe2ff26fab3151edb989.png Stealth DHY 2i w/ Aldila Ascent Black Stiff

:srixon-small: z585 4-AW w/ Modus3 120x

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56.12 & 60.10 w/ Modus3 125w

image.png.a2a25073d1a41c5de1690a6254814da3.png Super Select Newport Plus -or- :odyssey-small: White Hot OG #1WS w/ Stroke Lab 

image.png.d2e91492049dce3981a9fad088921b12.png ProV1

Finding out with the weather my 3 wood is a better option than a 4-iron. We have so much wind lately that’s it’s requiring a 1-2 club up shot. It’s a safe club. It’s always my safety net over my driver. The course I play doesn’t really have any reachable par 5s in 2 which generally takes it outta consideration. 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review