Do you actually use your 3-Wood?

Our Sponsors

At least 3 to 4 times a round if not more  if I need something down a tight hole.. 3wood comes in handy. Par 5. Of the tee 

Versitile club! 

Driver:  PING G410 LST 9.0 with Tensei CK Orange 60 Stiff default_ping-small.jpg.62d91fcab0128559ee9cd64c6d3475c7.jpg
3 -Wood: Cobra King SZ with Tensei AV Blue Stiffdefault_cobra-small.jpg.fe55fcb2de7dcedd8bb9bda0d7fa56d0.jpg
4-Hybrid: Cobra King F9 Hybriddefault_cobra-small.jpg.fe55fcb2de7dcedd8bb9bda0d7fa56d0.jpg
Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC - 6-PW , w/SteelFiber i125default_mizuno-small.jpg.b7e121701aadd867e399bdb2331c9f9f.jpg
WedgesCleveland RTX 4 RAW - , 56, 60, Mizuno S18 Black - 50default_cleveland-small.jpg.2c2c62516a68ba0ca825f7d94c148b86.jpgdefault_mizuno-small.jpg.b7e121701aadd867e399bdb2331c9f9f.jpg
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven S, 34indefault_odyssey-small.jpg.f16592ebb9519a37e13eebf6fc6df625.jpg
BallsTaylorMade TPx  & Snell MTB-X-default_taylormade-small.jpg.261501bbee0fcd6ea098dc3e15da16eb.jpgSnell.png.18a1bb82d2d821ebf109e429f025552d.png

Currently Testing:skycaddie: LX5 Watch

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am a huge Mizuno irons fan. I am not a 3 Wood fan. I recently bought an ST190G driver and loved it so much, I got a ST190 TS 3 Wood and gamed it this weekend. I loved this so much I just placed my o

Ditto. Lately I've been using my 3W exclusively off the tee as my driver and I got into a fight and I haven't made it to the range yet to knock some sense into it.

... I had a land line phone in the kitchen that was on a long cord for my youth and most of my adult life. Fast forward thru a few different technologies in phones and now I have this iPhone that is a

Posted Images

On 5/21/2020 at 11:39 PM, RyanJohnson_Official said:

I use my 3 wood 2 or 3 times per round, but I never feel like I know where it is going to go. I wonder if switching to a 4 wood might actually do me some good as some have suggested here...

Follow up on this one. Yes, switching to a 4 wood has been AMAZING.

I now play the TS2 16.5 degeee and it has been a life-changing. My 3-wood shots were always impossible to get off the ground and never carried very far. Additionally, I could never hold a green, or really take a shot unless there were no hazards between me and the pin 250 yards away. Now I get 240-245 consistently and it is BEAUTIFUL ball flight. Paired with the HZRDUS red shaft and it has been ideal. If it stays up too high, I can bring it back to 15.75 degree thanks to the adjustable hosel, but man, its the dream. 

Cheers!

• Like 1

WITB:

Callaway Rogue - Driver

Titleist TS2 - 4 Wood

Titleist 915H and 818 H1 Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 850 Forged Irons

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54 and Taylormade Hi-Toe 58

#ROCKCHALK

Played my new cobra speed zone today, and liked it a lot. I think I'll scoot up to the whites tomorrow and tee off with it all day to get a better feel

• Like 1

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

Play my 3W all the time off the deck!

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Mavrik Max 9 degree loft w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Maverick Max 3W, 5W w/ROUGE white X-Stiff 70g

Mavrik Max 3H, KBS tour prototype 70/80 X-Stiff 80g

Speedblade 4-PW, AW, SW KBS Siff 85g

Ghost Sypder putter

bourbon to be drank neat

I swapped my three wood out for a five wood years ago. I cant hit a three wood off the fairway to save my life, and I'm not long enough with the driver that I'd need a three wood for shorter distances. I just find the five wood more useful all around.

• Love 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus Driver, Tensei Orange 

:taylormade-small: R11 TP 5 wood, Project X

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 3 Iron, Alta CB

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-LW Project X LZ 5.5

:scotty-small:   Phantom X 12

Hit the new Cobra a lot today, and its slightly longer, but it seemed really easy to hit and its consistent. Par 5's are easier, especially with a big drive from the Mavrik

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

I replaced my 15° Gigagolf 3 wood which I could only hit off the tee with a Maltby KE4 Tour TC 16° 4 wood and it is really working well. I can hit it off the deck or off the tee and keep my ball in the fairway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen1 0811X 12° driver w/Project X Evenflow Blue 55g shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 19° 3 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft
:tour-edge: Bazooka Platinum 23° Ironwood w/UST for TE graphite shaft
:tour-edge: HL4 5-6 Ironwood w/UST for TE graphite shafts
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 Tour+ irons 7-GW w/UST Competition Series graphite shafts
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact #3 putter

I was sort of anti-3w for a long time. It wasn't until I got a relatively newish (2016 Callaway) model that I found one that performed reliably for me. The older (early 2000s) models I had tried before just didn't get it done for me.

only use the 3w from the fairway. Off the tee, I much prefer to bunt my driver when I need a tee shot into a shorter/tighter target. The big head is just more forgiving.

Even though I only use the 3w for par-5 approaches, it does prove to be pretty useful - potentially gaining me a stroke or more when the hole conditions are inviting enough to use it. So, low frequency of use, but generally it has high enough reward that it keeps a solid spot in my bag.

This all said, I think it's a demanding club to hit - probably the most demanding in the bag for most golfers. For those that don't learn how to use it and practice it, I think it can wreck a round in a hurry. Just because the pros use a 3w as a "safe club" from the tee, that doesn't translate to those who haven't learned how to use it. Mishits are all-too-common as the shaft is the next to longest in the bag, and the clubface really isn't all that big. Hitting a clubface edge is a pretty common occurrence with these clubs for many players.

• Like 1

Last year I ditched my 3 (15) and 5 (18) woods and replaced them with a 4w at 16.5.  I struggled with the 3w off the deck and wanted a lob wedge in my bag.  Got fitted for the 4w, big difference right there, probably lost 5-10 yds off the tee.  But, gained 10 carry off the deck while total distance was only 5 yds less. I have a bigger gap between driver and 4w but the rest of the bag was able to tighten up which helped my scores and that is more important than losing some yards.  

• Like 2

PXG gen2X, 10.5, Adila NV nxt 65s

Tour Edge CBX 3t 16.5, HZDUS Yellow 6.0S

3&4 hybrid Cobra AmpCell S shaft

5-PW Callaway Mavrik Pro, Project X LZ 105 6.0

GW&SW Cobra AmpCell TT Dynalite 90 S

60 Bettinardi forged, TT Gold S200

Srixon ZStar

I was having trouble with my three wood off the deck until I tried my friend's Callaway Mavrik Max. I actually hit it better that the Taylormade 2017 M2 three high launch (16.5*). So i bought the three and the five. I've only played twice but my success rate was very high. As we move into cooler weather I'll have more fairway woods into our long par fours. Hopefully, they continue to perform well.

• Like 2

Drive for Show; Putt for Dough

8 hours ago, TeeBrain said:

I was sort of anti-3w for a long time. It wasn't until I got a relatively newish (2016 Callaway) model that I found one that performed reliably for me. The older (early 2000s) models I had tried before just didn't get it done for me.

only use the 3w from the fairway. Off the tee, I much prefer to bunt my driver when I need a tee shot into a shorter/tighter target. The big head is just more forgiving.

Even though I only use the 3w for par-5 approaches, it does prove to be pretty useful - potentially gaining me a stroke or more when the hole conditions are inviting enough to use it. So, low frequency of use, but generally it has high enough reward that it keeps a solid spot in my bag.

This all said, I think it's a demanding club to hit - probably the most demanding in the bag for most golfers. For those that don't learn how to use it and practice it, I think it can wreck a round in a hurry. Just because the pros use a 3w as a "safe club" from the tee, that doesn't translate to those who haven't learned how to use it. Mishits are all-too-common as the shaft is the next to longest in the bag, and the clubface really isn't all that big. Hitting a clubface edge is a pretty common occurrence with these clubs for many players.

I am one that for years used what I call a "punch driver" on short holes where accuracy is important.  After playing my 4W for a season only on the fairway, I have confidence that I can make a reasonably decent shot off the tee.  I don't use it off the tee except on the one long par 3 at my course.  I always used my punch driver shot but that shot comes with a risk for me.  Since it's not a full swing, my body doesn't rotate like a full swing and my arms will take over resulting in a pull hook.

If your 3W is pretty useful on par 5 and you gain strokes with it, I would think that the 3W would be useful off the tee where you have the best conditions for hitting a 3W, and you can take your usual regular swing.  It will take some practice, but the result might be more repeatable than bunting your driver.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 9/21/2020 at 5:45 PM, Kenny B said:

I am one that for years used what I call a "punch driver" on short holes where accuracy is important.  After playing my 4W for a season only on the fairway, I have confidence that I can make a reasonably decent shot off the tee.  I don't use it off the tee except on the one long par 3 at my course.  I always used my punch driver shot but that shot comes with a risk for me.  Since it's not a full swing, my body doesn't rotate like a full swing and my arms will take over resulting in a pull hook.

If your 3W is pretty useful on par 5 and you gain strokes with it, I would think that the 3W would be useful off the tee where you have the best conditions for hitting a 3W, and you can take your usual regular swing.  It will take some practice, but the result might be more repeatable than bunting your driver.

Perhaps. But I've been hitting (and practicing) the bunt/chip driver for a couple of decades. I'm pretty darn comfortable with it and it is a reliable shot. Since I'm still working full time, I'm in a mode where I'd rather keep my existing habits in tune rather than introduce new variables with little upside.

Edited by TeeBrain
  • Like 1

I don't hit the ball very far so I use the 3 wood on the long 200 yard par 3's, gets me pretty close each time. Always handy to have, especially if your driver isn't working that day, you can always switch it with the 3W for more consistency. 

• Like 2

:callaway-small: Driver: GBB Epic 10.5*
:callaway-small: 3 Wood: Epic Flash
:callaway-small: 4 Hybrid: Epic Flash
:callaway-small: Irons:  - PW Rogue 
:titelist-small: Wedges:  Vokey SM8 50*, SM7 56*, 60*
:titelist-small: :cameron-small: Putter: California Fastback 35" w Red Cord Dancing SC Grip
:nike-small: Bag: Nike Air Hybrid Golf Bag
:titelist-small: or :bridgestone-small: Ball: Tour Soft or e12

Still learning. Love the art of putting.

• 2 weeks later...

Might be in the minority here but I use my 3w and 5w more than my driver just because I can control it more and get my desired rising stinger or low straight shot 8/10 times. I seem unable to turn the face on a driver as quick unlike a smaller wood 

Ping Zing 2 3-S

Nike Sumo2 3 wood

Nike Sumo 9000 driver 

Have a 5 and 7 wood in the bag that I hit great, Finally bought a TM M4 and put it in the bag.  Hitting Par 5's in two now.   It did take me awhile to start hitting it good.

Now that I carry one officially, yes. I've had a 16.5 degree fairway in my bag for years, but this is the first season I've bagged a club with a 3W on it. I use it for a few tee shots a round, and occasionally to go at a par 5 in two.

Take Dead Aim

I use my 3-wood a lot, but thinking about taking it out as it only goes a few yards more than my 5-wood.

:cobra-small:King F7 11* Driver

:ping-small:G30 15.5* 3-Wood

:callaway-small:Steelhead XR 5-Wood

:cobra-small:King F6 4&5 Hybrid

:wilson_staff_small:C200 6-GW

:cleveland-small:RTX-3 53*&58*

:taylormade-small:Corza Ghost Putter

:bridgestone-small:Tour B RXS

I have a Taylormade Speedzone 3W that I bought off the rack before I got educated on fittings. I can't consistently hit it at all. I'm debating replacing with a hybrid or a 5 wood. I need something off the tee that I can hit on shorter Par 4s. Something that is longer than my 3 iron but shorter than the driver.

I don't carry a 3w. My 5w is wonderful. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg