Jump to content

Do you actually use your 3-Wood?


WardenGolf

Recommended Posts

Here’s what I want... a secondary tee club that carries 10-30 yards less than my driver and when it hits the ground it stops... 

ideally, I’d be able To hit it off the deck, but that’s a want more than a need...

basically, I want a 2 wood... I have yet to find an option that works.

built a 43 inch 12 degree driver that is ok, but it’s very high spin (shockingly, a 12 degree driver generates a ton of spin)... have tried multiple 13 degree fairway heads and they are fine... but small. 
Hopefully, cobra will release the long Tom 2 wood again.

Mavrik 9 degree - Ventus Black 7X

Mavrik 13.5 Degree - Hazardus Smoke

Sub70 19 degree - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 4u - Proforce V2 8F5

Sub70 5i - DG S400

Adams CMB 6-GW - Project X 6.0

Sub70 54 (286) and 58 (JB Low Bounce) - S300

SeeMore Trimetal Mallet (Custom fit and built... Kudos to Cody)

And as always, Kudos to Craigers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most of my 3 wood use is making up for terrible drives. I use it maybe 1-2 times every couple rounds. I’m also contemplating removing, it but will likely wait till I can do a good full bag fitting and analyze my gaps and makeup. Shotscope had been a huge help seeing some of these issues in my current t setup.

Driver: Taylormade M3 9 degree(turned down to 8.75) w/ Stiff Ventus White shaft 

3 Wood: Taylormade Superfast 2.0

3 Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr Mid 18 degree KBS Hybrid shaft

Irons: 4-PW Taylormade M3 with KBS C-Taper 120 stiff shafts Std Length and Lie

Wedges: Titlist SM7 50F, 54F, and 58D

Putter: Evnroll ER2B 33.5" with Gravity grip

Right handed, Fair Oaks, Ca 

15 handicap

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I was very close to dumping my 3w and going with my 2h as my sole club between driver and irons.  Of course, right on cue, my 3w began behaving.  

It's funny how clubs sometimes respond to threats.  LOL

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Mizuno TPM-2, 34"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TM TP5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was not gaming a 3W until I got an Adams Super S fairway wood. I hit it pure in the short and higher grass. The way it’s built really launches the ball. 

  • Like 1

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it depends on the course you play on a regular basis. The 2 I play have plenty of holes where hitting 3 wood off the tee is the better option, but also has 2 long par 5’s. For me it’s an important club as I always like a backup when driver is feeling off too. 

  • Like 2

Driver: Titleist TSi2 10 / Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue Raw 65 S

3 Wood: Titleist TSi3 15 / Project X RDX Smoke Black 70 6.0

Hybrid: Titleist TSi3 18 / Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Red 7 S

4 Iron: Titleist U500 / Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85 S

5 - 9 Irons: Mizuno 921 Tour / Nippon Modus 3 120 S

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 46F, 50F, 54S & 58M / Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Select (2016) / BGT Stability Tour

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Switched to the Callaway Super Hybrid and I’ve used it off the tee a few times, and on a couple long approaches... So far so good! Today, on a slight dogleg left, narrow fairway, trees down each side with a couple big ones just off the tee box on the left side, I hit it off the tee and it carried 265 and stopped in a wet fairway. Nice little draw, felt great, loved it! 

C1362A94-E9FA-40FE-847D-0181AEC63B0C.jpeg

  • Like 2

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't had a driver (something about pandemic/shaft issues in asia/etc...have you heard about these? lol) in my bag for about 4 months. I'm currently playing a TM SIM2 Ti Rocket 3w at 13.5* w/ UST Lin-Q Purple 7F5 shaft (Mid/Mid launch). I've been using it off the tee and fairway and absolutely LOVE it. It's a bit tougher than/not as forgiving as  my previous Ping G400 3w, but the distance gain has been enormous and I've gotten more consistent with it since I'm forced to rely on it off tees.

 

When struggling with clubs in the past, I've eliminated them from my bag for a round or two to force myself to experience/think my way around my home course a different way. I'd highly recommend it as it may show you a better way to play a specific hole that you've overlooked in the past and maybe bring the 3w more into the limelight.

IMG_8035.PNG

IMG_8036.jpg

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9°, UST Lin-Q Purple 7F5 1” tipped

3 Wood:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Titanium Rocket 13.5°, UST Lin-Q Purple 7F5

2 Iron:  :callaway-small: X Forged UT 18°, Mitsubishi MMT UT 105 TX

4-PW:  :callaway-small: X Forged CB irons, DG Tour Issue x100 +1” 2° flat

Wedges:  :mizuno-small: T20, KBS Wedge shaft, 50°/54°/58°

Putter:  Toulon Atlanta, Stroke Lab Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1x Optic Yellow

Bag:  :Ogio: 2021 Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag

Shot Tracking:  :Arccos:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/9/2021 at 7:03 AM, NRJyzr said:

I was very close to dumping my 3w and going with my 2h as my sole club between driver and irons.  Of course, right on cue, my 3w began behaving.  

It's funny how clubs sometimes respond to threats.  LOL

The best my clubs have ever performed is when they were in the process of getting replaced. Too bad relationships are the same way! 🙃

  • Haha 1

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9°, UST Lin-Q Purple 7F5 1” tipped

3 Wood:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Titanium Rocket 13.5°, UST Lin-Q Purple 7F5

2 Iron:  :callaway-small: X Forged UT 18°, Mitsubishi MMT UT 105 TX

4-PW:  :callaway-small: X Forged CB irons, DG Tour Issue x100 +1” 2° flat

Wedges:  :mizuno-small: T20, KBS Wedge shaft, 50°/54°/58°

Putter:  Toulon Atlanta, Stroke Lab Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1x Optic Yellow

Bag:  :Ogio: 2021 Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag

Shot Tracking:  :Arccos:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/24/2021 at 9:07 AM, myherobobhope said:

Here’s what I want... a secondary tee club that carries 10-30 yards less than my driver and when it hits the ground it stops... 

ideally, I’d be able To hit it off the deck, but that’s a want more than a need...

basically, I want a 2 wood... I have yet to find an option that works.

built a 43 inch 12 degree driver that is ok, but it’s very high spin (shockingly, a 12 degree driver generates a ton of spin)... have tried multiple 13 degree fairway heads and they are fine... but small. 
Hopefully, cobra will release the long Tom 2 wood again.

Definitely check out the SIM2 Ti Rocket 3w (13.5*)! I've been having fun flighting it high on approach shots and launching gnarly low, penetrating missiles off the tee, and talking crap to my friends when I out drive their drivers.

  • Like 1

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9°, UST Lin-Q Purple 7F5 1” tipped

3 Wood:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Titanium Rocket 13.5°, UST Lin-Q Purple 7F5

2 Iron:  :callaway-small: X Forged UT 18°, Mitsubishi MMT UT 105 TX

4-PW:  :callaway-small: X Forged CB irons, DG Tour Issue x100 +1” 2° flat

Wedges:  :mizuno-small: T20, KBS Wedge shaft, 50°/54°/58°

Putter:  Toulon Atlanta, Stroke Lab Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1x Optic Yellow

Bag:  :Ogio: 2021 Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag

Shot Tracking:  :Arccos:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still keep my 3w. I hit mine pretty well off the ground most of the time.  Don't necessarily use it every round, but I think that's ok.  Use it off the tee, here and there if drive would go through dogleg etc.   Hit it off the ground when risk/reward warrants it!

But I found I began to hit it much more effectively (off the ground) when I changed my mind-set on Par 5's.  When I alleviated myself of the stress of feeling that I had to hit 3 wood on every second shot on every par 5 I played, in order to get "as close to the green as possible", even though minus a 20 mile an hour tail wind I wasn't going to reach the green in two no matter how well I hit the 3 Wood, I began to hit it much better when I decided to hit it.  Realizing that most of the time on par 5's I was better off just hitting 4-5 iron to 100-150, and hitting in from there.  When I decide to use 3 wood now, I'm not feeling like I have to crush it, and hit the absolute perfect shot with it.  Seems a much more relaxed feeling when I choose or need to hit it now.

Just my experience!

Driver: :nike-small:VR Pro

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: E12 Soft Yellow 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have tossed my view on this before but for this year my 3 wood has been instrumental on some par 5's. It has been fantastic off the deck and put me in great spots for my 3rd shot if not on the green. Love the 3 wood.

  • Like 1

Check out my reviews:

 :ping-small: G710 Irons Official Review

:Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small:  Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ I :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ryno_wineo said:

Definitely check out the SIM2 Ti Rocket 3w (13.5*)! I've been having fun flighting it high on approach shots and launching gnarly low, penetrating missiles off the tee, and talking crap to my friends when I out drive their drivers.

I have the 15* version and you’re right, distance is unbelievable when you catch it. Definitely not the most forgiving club though!

  • Like 2

Driver: Titleist TSi2 10 / Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue Raw 65 S

3 Wood: Titleist TSi3 15 / Project X RDX Smoke Black 70 6.0

Hybrid: Titleist TSi3 18 / Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Red 7 S

4 Iron: Titleist U500 / Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85 S

5 - 9 Irons: Mizuno 921 Tour / Nippon Modus 3 120 S

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 46F, 50F, 54S & 58M / Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Select (2016) / BGT Stability Tour

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ryno_wineo said:

I haven't had a driver (something about pandemic/shaft issues in asia/etc...have you heard about these? lol) in my bag for about 4 months. I'm currently playing a TM SIM2 Ti Rocket 3w at 13.5* w/ UST Lin-Q Purple 7F5 shaft (Mid/Mid launch). I've been using it off the tee and fairway and absolutely LOVE it. It's a bit tougher than/not as forgiving as  my previous Ping G400 3w, but the distance gain has been enormous and I've gotten more consistent with it since I'm forced to rely on it off tees.

 

... When you can reach 275-300 with a 3 wood and you consistently hit it better than your diver, no real need for a driver. Playing against some real bombers Ariya Jutanugarn just won in Thailand only using her Ti 3 wood off the tee. And like you she was hitting it shorter than the longest players but equal to and longer than most of her competitors. Always a good idea to continue to practice and work with a driver but if you don't hit it as well as your 3 wood or have the same confidence it makes sense to just play your 3 wood. Most on this forum would be thrilled to hit their drivers 275! 

  • Like 2

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 TaylorMade MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Murray06 said:

I have the 15* version and you’re right, distance is unbelievable when you catch it. Definitely not the most forgiving club though!

I had more of a sweeping swing/contact with the Ping G400 while I've needed to play the SIM2 a hair further back in my stance/treat it like a long iron and hit down on the ball for best results. Have you experienced the same?

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9°, UST Lin-Q Purple 7F5 1” tipped

3 Wood:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Titanium Rocket 13.5°, UST Lin-Q Purple 7F5

2 Iron:  :callaway-small: X Forged UT 18°, Mitsubishi MMT UT 105 TX

4-PW:  :callaway-small: X Forged CB irons, DG Tour Issue x100 +1” 2° flat

Wedges:  :mizuno-small: T20, KBS Wedge shaft, 50°/54°/58°

Putter:  Toulon Atlanta, Stroke Lab Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1x Optic Yellow

Bag:  :Ogio: 2021 Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag

Shot Tracking:  :Arccos:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, ryno_wineo said:

I had more of a sweeping swing/contact with the Ping G400 while I've needed to play the SIM2 a hair further back in my stance/treat it like a long iron and hit down on the ball for best results. Have you experienced the same?

I think it was more of a swing issue after a lesson, but I found I was constantly topping it. Never had an issue with a fairway wood before so was frustrating, especially after I was striping it over and over at the range. Used it 3 times off the tee today and they weren’t far off where a decent drive would go! The distance is incredible. Not tried it off the deck yet since I sorted the swing out but intrigued what happens. I put a ventus blue into it which has made it feel a lot more stable as well.

Driver: Titleist TSi2 10 / Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue Raw 65 S

3 Wood: Titleist TSi3 15 / Project X RDX Smoke Black 70 6.0

Hybrid: Titleist TSi3 18 / Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Red 7 S

4 Iron: Titleist U500 / Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85 S

5 - 9 Irons: Mizuno 921 Tour / Nippon Modus 3 120 S

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 46F, 50F, 54S & 58M / Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Select (2016) / BGT Stability Tour

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Murray06 said:

I think it was more of a swing issue after a lesson, but I found I was constantly topping it. Never had an issue with a fairway wood before so was frustrating, especially after I was striping it over and over at the range. Used it 3 times off the tee today and they weren’t far off where a decent drive would go! The distance is incredible. Not tried it off the deck yet since I sorted the swing out but intrigued what happens. I put a ventus blue into it which has made it feel a lot more stable as well.

SAME!!! I've never had worse (contact) misses with ANY club in my life! There's been a few tee shots that I unintentionally played too far forward and think I only made contact with the outer-most layer of paint on the golf ball.

 

Let me tell you, my friends were quite impressed that the same guy that hit a 342y 3w also hit a 36y drive on the following hole! 🤦‍♂️ #instanthumility

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9°, UST Lin-Q Purple 7F5 1” tipped

3 Wood:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Titanium Rocket 13.5°, UST Lin-Q Purple 7F5

2 Iron:  :callaway-small: X Forged UT 18°, Mitsubishi MMT UT 105 TX

4-PW:  :callaway-small: X Forged CB irons, DG Tour Issue x100 +1” 2° flat

Wedges:  :mizuno-small: T20, KBS Wedge shaft, 50°/54°/58°

Putter:  Toulon Atlanta, Stroke Lab Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1x Optic Yellow

Bag:  :Ogio: 2021 Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag

Shot Tracking:  :Arccos:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/13/2021 at 4:03 PM, ryno_wineo said:

SAME!!! I've never had worse (contact) misses with ANY club in my life! There's been a few tee shots that I unintentionally played too far forward and think I only made contact with the outer-most layer of paint on the golf ball.

 

Let me tell you, my friends were quite impressed that the same guy that hit a 342y 3w also hit a 36y drive on the following hole! 🤦‍♂️ #instanthumility

Probably doing the same, but thought it may have been the 80g weight I was getting used to. Went to the range and everything was good so hoping it continues tomorrow on the course. It has potential to be the best club I’ve ever owned, not just best 3 wood. Early days though

  • Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSi2 10 / Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue Raw 65 S

3 Wood: Titleist TSi3 15 / Project X RDX Smoke Black 70 6.0

Hybrid: Titleist TSi3 18 / Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Red 7 S

4 Iron: Titleist U500 / Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85 S

5 - 9 Irons: Mizuno 921 Tour / Nippon Modus 3 120 S

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 46F, 50F, 54S & 58M / Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Select (2016) / BGT Stability Tour

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First time getting a club fitting and decided to go to two different fitters to see how the results would match up. In my first fitting I was told not to use a 3W and they fit me with a G425 5W. The fitter said the shorter shaft and additional loft will be easier to hit consistently and gain similar yardage to a 3W. In the second fitting, they told me not to go with a 5W and fit me for a G425 3W with a half inch cut off the shaft. I guess G425 is the right model, but I'm confused on whether I should go with the 3W or 5W - thoughts?

:ping-small: G425 Max, 9*, Mitsubishi C6 Blue 50
:mizuno-small: JPX921 Hot Metal 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i70
:vokey-small: SM8 52*, 56*, 60*
:odyssey-small: 2-Ball Ten and Superstroke Pistol Grip
:Snell: MTB Black

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, bogeymonsters said:

First time getting a club fitting and decided to go to two different fitters to see how the results would match up. In my first fitting I was told not to use a 3W and they fit me with a G425 5W. The fitter said the shorter shaft and additional loft will be easier to hit consistently and gain similar yardage to a 3W. In the second fitting, they told me not to go with a 5W and fit me for a G425 3W with a half inch cut off the shaft. I guess G425 is the right model, but I'm confused on whether I should go with the 3W or 5W - thoughts?

Was it the same type of launch monitor device? If so what were the numbers like? Carry distance with each club?

 

I certainly would go for another - fitting/test because that’s not a definitive result.

 

I had a definitive result - it’s 5 wood for me and no more looking back - I’m going with 13 clubs in the bag - modern 5 woods are actually 4 woods anyway. 

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, bogeymonsters said:

First time getting a club fitting and decided to go to two different fitters to see how the results would match up. In my first fitting I was told not to use a 3W and they fit me with a G425 5W. The fitter said the shorter shaft and additional loft will be easier to hit consistently and gain similar yardage to a 3W. In the second fitting, they told me not to go with a 5W and fit me for a G425 3W with a half inch cut off the shaft. I guess G425 is the right model, but I'm confused on whether I should go with the 3W or 5W - thoughts?

Which of the g425 fw were you fit to in both fittings? By going 1/2” short on the :w you are playing a 3w loft at 5w length.

Do you have the numbers from both fittings?

More importantly did you hit the 5w or shortened 3w more consistently?

 

 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...