TESTERS WANTED! ×

Do you actually use your 3-Wood?

WardenGolf

Not trying to brag at all. But my last round I just added up my 3 wood tee shots. And my average is 274.7 yards for that round. Firm fairways, maybe 10 yards of roll. This is one of the most versatile clubs in my bag.

Side note I averaged 247.3 with the 2 hybrid off the tee....

Driver.... 265.4 at 10° maybe I need a 11-12° Driver.

Dammit Boy!!! you hit your 3 wood further than I hit the driver any more.  Now one of my tricks on firm fast fairways with the driver I tee it low like a persimmon and hit the stinger that rolls out good especially with that hot faced Homna. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I prefer to position my second shot and wedge it in and get that putter in my grubby little hands 

Quit b**********g, us Stu. 

Like myself, you don't have little anythings.

But you're definitely right about modern "3-woods."

The entire industry is making them exclusively for uphill lies.

I don't know how old you are, jlukes, but traditional wooden 3-woods were 17°. Just about all of them.

15º off the deck produces diminished returns for average swing speeds.

Most average recreation players can carry an 18 or 19º  club  further off the deck.

It's rare I use it. I would like to use it more bc I hit mine pretty well. Ping G25 but it's rare I have 250 into a hole. I hit it great off the ground but miss it a little too often off the tee but if I have a par 5 with around 250 left I'm licking my chops

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Can't you just leave it on the ground off the tee? You don't have to tee it up.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I like to push my tee down to the cup or close to it hitting fairway woods or irons off the tee. 

It's like a perfect lie off the deck.

I usually use a broken tee that i find on the ground, in fact.

I like to push my tee down to the cup or close to it hitting fairway woods or irons off the tee. 

It's like a perfect lie off the deck.

I usually use a broken tee that i find on the ground, in fact.

If I hit a fairway wood off the tee I do it Laura Davies style in other words chunk me up a little piece of turf. And of course I fix my divot. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Quit b**********g, us Stu. 

Like myself, you don't have little anythings.

But you're definitely right about modern "3-woods."

The entire industry is making them exclusively for uphill lies.

Yep you are correct I should have stated my grubby big hands :D

G

I don't know how old you are, jlukes, but traditional wooden 3-woods were 17°. Just about all of them.

15º off the deck produces diminished returns for average swing speeds.

Most average recreation players can carry an 18 or 19º  club  further off the deck.

Nifty most persimmon 3 wood heads were around 13* to 14* 4 wood heads were around 16 or 18.

And you are spot on on the last paragraph and some of it has to do with age and diminished swing speed. One of the reasons I quit hitting my beloved Cally Steelhead 3 wood at 13* the loft combined with the shaft stiffness.

G

If I hit a fairway wood off the tee I do it Laura Davies style in other words chunk me up a little piece of turf. And of course I fix my divot.

Only way to hit a wood imo

More natural of a swing I think, hitting it this way.

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

After all that love you had with it?

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yep. Every time I use it now I leave strokes out there. My swing is off ever so slightly with it and I'm not giving up much with 3 wood from the fairway.

Plus I was having all the good fortune with it before I got healed up. So my swing speed is back and I can't get the clubface closed.

The 3W has been pretty darn good lately. I am using it more and using better statagy off the tee with it. I like the added consistency and I only lose 20 yards. I hit it probably 10 times today and missed 2 fairways. With the driver I would probably miss 8 fairways. I will take that trade off any day. Driver is staying in the bag more from now on.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Nifty most persimmon 3 wood heads were around 13* to 14* 4 wood heads were around 16 or 18.

I had a book of vintage specs from Ralph Maltby's repair shop.

According to his specs for MacGregor  Eye-O-Matic Tommy Armours,  PowerBilt Citations,  and several other popular woods of the 1950s...

most driver were 11º with some at 12 and a very small number at ten;

most TWO woods were 14º with a few at 13º,

most 3-woods were 17º with a few at 16º...15º or less appeared nowhere....

and then, relying on length for distance gaps,  the loft gaps got small...

with 4-woods at  18, 19, or a few at 20º and 5-woods, then just becoming into play,  at 20, 21, or 22º

The first popular metal 5-wood, the TaylorMade Pittsburgh Persimmon, has "23º" stamped right on the sole. That's easily seen on Google Images right now. 

The matching 3-wood was 17º and the matching 4-wood was 20º.

Again, that's easily seen on Google Images. (Plus I have them.)

And the Stan Thompson Ginty, the first popular laminated maple 7-wood,

was 42" long and an incredible 28º!

All from Ralph Maltby's spec book.  But then, i can't swear to the accuracy of those specs, but that's what was written.

You could still be correct, but I don't think that they started getting that strong until the seventies when double thick soleplates came into being just before the metalwoods. 

Nifty I went out and checked some of my vintage persimmon woods and you are correct. Seems like I got the 2 wood and 3 woods mixed up  ( chalk it up to a senior moment) Most of my Persimmon woods if I have checked them I have a piece of masking tape on them for the loft. I also have them written down in my notebook. I also have several Gintys and a couple of Cobra Bafflers in my stuff.

G

Dude.

Seriously.

We get it.

... I had a land line phone in the kitchen that was on a long cord for my youth and most of my adult life. Fast forward thru a few different technologies in phones and now I have this iPhone that is a mini computer and not only can I make phone calls but listen to music, take pictures, check a calendar or the weather along with about a hundred other features. But I really wish I could go back to the long corded phone in the kitchen as I had some great conversations on that phone.  :blink:

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I ascertain from your replies that my posts annoy you.

That's honestly not my intent, jlukes. I mean that sincerely.

It's a big forum and a bigger internet.

There will still be plenty to read if you ignore my posts.

I enjoy most of your posts.

I lovs hearing about your game and your clubs. You have a unique perspective on things that's great for the forum.

It's cool to read about old equipment on those specific threads. But you turn almost every thread into "new equipment ruined the game and I hate it" posts.

If I were to pop every single driver thread and talk about why l love my cobra f8+ driver people would annoyed with me. That's why I keep the discussion of that driver into the thread designated for it. I don't go in every thread and denounce what everyone is talking about

I'll try not to do that, jlukes, but in this instance, i was suggesting why some people might not be using their 3-woods anymore.

Also, Stu and I were discussing the lofts of old 3-woods thinking that perhaps, the new, stronger ones might not be good for typical recreational player swing speeds, especially with seniors. 

But I'll take your criticism seriously.

I'll try not to do that, jlukes, but in this instance, i was suggesting why some people might not be using their 3-woods anymore.

Also, Stu and I were discussing the lofts of old 3-woods thinking that perhaps, the new, stronger ones might not be good for typical recreational player swing speeds, especially with seniors.

But I'll take your criticism seriously.

I completely agree that most people need more loft in their fairway woods. Especially if playing them off the deck. Great video on that here

https://youtu.be/D2H2r2s2rRY

I completely agree that most people need more loft in their fairway woods. Especially if playing them off the deck. 

... I did not see the video and apologize if I am repeating, but the modern game is very different than the traditional game for several reasons, but imo the biggest is the golf ball. It spins much less than the old wound balls that we needed to flight the trajectory down, not up. But with todays ball spinning so much less off woods, it is absolutely necessary to increase loft for most players. Back in the day I played a 13* 3 wood but today I have been using a 4 or even 5 wood producing the same distance as my older 3 woods, if not longer and an equally high trajectory that does not balloon in the wind.

... That said, like you, I am playing the Cobra F8 at 15.5* so it is an exception but I have never played an easier 3 wood to elevate from the fairway. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

It's something I always practice with at the range with hopes of being more consistent. Even a bit more after changing up the shaft setup. I use it 1-2 times a round but never really off the tee.

Now it's fighting fir attention after adding a Rogue 4H to the bag.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M2 D-Type, 9.5 degrees, (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

3/4W -  :cobra-small: King F6 Black 3-4 Wood (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4H -  :callaway-small: Rogue (Stiff flex) (Stock grip) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4-AW -  :callaway-small: Steelhead XR Irons (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grips, 7i with Winn Dri-Tac X Grip) 

SW -  :callaway-small: 56* X-Wedge

60* -  :callaway-small: MD4 Wedge

Putter - Odyssey White Hot RX #7

Bag -  :callaway-small: ORG 14 cart bag

Lol yes you can do that. It doesn't change the way I hit it.

I would mishit my putter off of a tee box. Put me between two tee markers and there's a mental block

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

... I had a land line phone in the kitchen that was on a long cord for my youth and most of my adult life. Fast forward thru a few different technologies in phones and now I have this iPhone that is a mini computer and not only can I make phone calls but listen to music, take pictures, check a calendar or the weather along with about a hundred other features. But I really wish I could go back to the long corded phone in the kitchen as I had some great conversations on that phone.  :blink:

Don't know why I'm admitting this, but I still have a land line.  It comes with my broadband and cable TV.

I tossed my smart phone into a drawer and reactivated my flip phone. It's much easier to use.

I play LPs on a turntable And then, of course, there are these:

DCI 962 set III.png

My three wood is the only club in my bag that I think is going to stay for a good long while. I carry it 250-260yds so I use it off the tee for most par 4's under 400 yds. I probably could gain a few yards with a newer model, but the V-Steel is the first fairway I have had this much confidence in. I think I have only missed a handful of fairways all year with it!

Bag Makeup:

Grips: Pure Pro Midsize

Driver: Ping G25 - Ping TFC-800d Stiff

Fairway: Taylormade V-Steel 15* - Aldila VooDoo SVS6

Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue TP 20* - Aldila Rip 85 X

Iron Set: Ping S56 Red Dot (4-PW) - TrueTemper S300 Standard Length

Wedges: 52.08 Mizuno MP-R12, 56.13 and 60.10 Callaway PM Grind - KBS Tour V

Putter: 33" Ping Anser Milled 5 - Golf Pride Tour SNSR 104 Pistol

Sold my 3w G30 earlier in summer. Finally went shopping and found a 16 degree XR PRO that I originally hit well but then it went downhill fast. I recently started using again on holes where I cant really get hurt if i dont pure it so i can gain some confidence with it. Seldom from the fairway as i dont have much need for it.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX