WardenGolf

Do you actually use your 3-Wood?

Our Sponsors

I havent had a 3-wood in my bag since August and I dont miss it.  I still find that I hit my 5-wood just as far and much more consistently.

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?:

Woods: Titleist 913FD 13.5* 3-wood

Hybrid: Titleist 915HD 3H 

Irons: Titleist DCI 822 OS 6, 8 and PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 2.0 56*

Putter: Titleist Bullseye Standard

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

I use a 4 wood which took me years to discover! I kept trying 3 woods and failed every time. The Callaway XR 4 Wood is easy to elevate and goes a country mile

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway  Epic Flash 5 - Wood
Callaway  Rogue X Irons 5 - AW 
Cleveland RTX-4 50 & 56 / RTX-3 60
Ping  Sigma G Tyne Putter

On 7/24/2018 at 12:06 PM, WardenGolf said:

How often do you use your 3-Wood and is it worth a spot in your bag?

On most courses yes, and much more so since acquiring my new irons (played a PE2 2i before).  I'm finding the G400 3w (and 5w) super easy to hit well and providing good yardage coverage beyond my 4i.  Besides, now my bag looks so much more balanced 😆.

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinLaunch

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

I am taking the 3w out of the bag this year.  I used it rarely last season, but only because my 3i is so good.  I’ll take the 3w out and add a second driver.  My current gamer is 44.5” and I’ll be tinkering with a 48” shaft on the second driver.  Not sure how that will work, but it should be fun to try.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

On 7/24/2018 at 2:06 PM, WardenGolf said:

I have played about 6-7 rounds of golf this year and I have hit my 3-Wood once off the tee. I'm debating if it's time to retire it for now. How often do you use your 3-Wood and is it worth a spot in your bag?

My "woods" don't have club numbers, but they're 13.5, 18.5, 21.5, and 24.5º.

I don't think that any of those qualifies as a 3-wood.

Wooden 3-woods were 17º and most metal ones are about 15º.  So I guess I'd have to say no.  My 275cc 13.5º driver has 2-wood loft.

As far as being worth a spot in the bag, though, most modern cart bags have fourteen full-length club dividers PLUS a putter well.

There's probably room unless you're puritanical about it!

Edited by RetiredBoomer
  • Like 1

... I get some are frustrated with their 3 wood, hitting it poorly off the ground and maybe even struggling off the tee the few times they have hit it. For those players, taking it out of the bag makes sense, especially with 5 woods and hybrids available to take their place. But a 3 wood is a great weapon for those that can hit them consistently. So let me make a suggestion to those of you on the fence or hit it well one day and struggle the next:

... Take your driver out of the bag for at least one full round and hit your 3 wood off every tee. Hitting slightly shorter off the tee should also give you more opportunities to hit your 3 wood from the ground. I think a lot of the inconsistency from hitting your 3 wood poorly is the indecision when you can hit your driver that is almost always more forgiving, so you "try" your 3 wood but perhaps in the back of your mind you feel you don't hit it as well as your driver or hybrid. Taking driver out of the bag removes the indecision and forces you to rely on your 3 wood exclusively. I have found some struggle a little starting off their round but gain more confidence with every hole. In the end (it may take more than one full round)  you will know whether or not a 3 wood is for you. And after several rounds using only your 3 wood, once you put the driver back in the bag, you will have complete confidence when you hit your 3 wood. And if you still struggle, you know a 3 wood is not for you. 

• Like 4

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Pro Orange 60r
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 75s
Utility:   TaylorMade RBZ Tour Hy ... Matrix Altus 85 hy
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Kuro Kage 105 Tini s-flex
              4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Recoil 110s
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

So, I'm looking at going back to a 2 FW set-up. I'm looking for a big forgiving 3W that I can hit from anywhere and a bit more of a player 5W. I'm looking forward to trying some stuff at the Golf Show we have in February. Right now Cobra has my interest in both categories, as does Tommy Armour, but I guess we'll see what works best when I get there. I love fairway woods and just feel like it's time to restore some balance to the bag

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:755178188_TourEdge:  CB4 Tour 16.5*, Aldila RIP 70-S

:cobra-small: F7 ONE 5-S, UST Recoil 680 F4 in 5 iron, KBS Tour R+ in rest

:cobra-small: KING ONE 60*, KBS Tour FLT 

:nickent-small: Pipe

:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour... For now

:CaddyTek: Caddylite 15.3 V1

Go Orange!

6 hours ago, RetiredBoomer said:

My "woods" don't have club numbers, but they're 13.5, 18.5, 21.5, and 24.5º.

I don't think that any of those qualifies as a 3-wood.

Wooden 3-woods were 17º and most metal ones are about 15º.  So I guess I'd have to say no.  My 275cc 13.5º driver has 2-wood loft.

As far as being worth a spot in the bag, though, most modern cart bags have fourteen full-length club dividers PLUS a putter well.

There's probably room unless you're puritanical about it!

LOL still hit a 2 wood off the deck when I play vintage golf. It is a 1957 Macgregor clover leaf sole plate it measures out at 13* right on the nose. Now the old Callaway Steelhead + metal 3 wood I carried for 13 seasons was dead on 13*. Now I am carrying a Adams 16* FW which I term a 4 wood. TM V-Steel metal FWs are sorta a strange animal. Lofts are as follows

3 w---- 13.5

4w--- 16.5

5w---- 18

7w--- 21

9w--- 24

Yep I am a big V-Steel fan--- There is a rumor even though I have never seen one that there is a V-Steel Tour issue 3 wood head at 13*---

Edited by BIG STU

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

20* Hybrid Adams Boxer Ozik Matrix R shaft

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Macgregor LRA 56* S-400

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

Played my dad's course at 6,200 yards today and hit a bunch of 3 woods off the tee.  Super fun and easy to hit.  I love my 3 wood.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Hybrid - Titleist 585 (17*) - Titleist 4175 ( R )
4i - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Forest Green)
Ball -  :Snell: MTB-X
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Still gaming the Bridgestone Tour B JGR 3 wood from our club test. Love that club! Best 3W I have ever hit. Smooth off the tee or the turf. I think a lot of players try to hit that particular club too hard (literally). Smooth it out and you’ll have better results. (With every club, eh?)

• Like 4

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

:bridgestone-small:  JGR 9.5*  Driver Graphite Design AD DI-6x 
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - AW)  KBS Tour 130x

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Wedges (54, 58)
MATI Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0
:bridgestone-small: Tour B-RX

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

I dropped a 15 degree Epic SZ 3wood for a Ping G410 5 wood lofted down to 16.5, essentially a 4 wood. It's been amazing. I hit it as far as my 3 wood, and it's so much easier off the fairway.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 12/27/2019 at 11:34 AM, chisag said:

... I get some are frustrated with their 3 wood, hitting it poorly off the ground and maybe even struggling off the tee the few times they have hit it. For those players, taking it out of the bag makes sense, especially with 5 woods and hybrids available to take their place. But a 3 wood is a great weapon for those that can hit them consistently. So let me make a suggestion to those of you on the fence or hit it well one day and struggle the next:

... Take your driver out of the bag for at least one full round and hit your 3 wood off every tee. Hitting slightly shorter off the tee should also give you more opportunities to hit your 3 wood from the ground. I think a lot of the inconsistency from hitting your 3 wood poorly is the indecision when you can hit your driver that is almost always more forgiving, so you "try" your 3 wood but perhaps in the back of your mind you feel you don't hit it as well as your driver or hybrid. Taking driver out of the bag removes the indecision and forces you to rely on your 3 wood exclusively. I have found some struggle a little starting off their round but gain more confidence with every hole. In the end (it may take more than one full round)  you will know whether or not a 3 wood is for you. And after several rounds using only your 3 wood, once you put the driver back in the bag, you will have complete confidence when you hit your 3 wood. And if you still struggle, you know a 3 wood is not for you. 

I took my driver out to hit 3W off most tees and I was shooting 10 strokes better instantly and consistently.  I never put the driver back in. Yes, I'm giving up 20-25 yards off the tee now but I just moved up a box and play whites.  My rounds have never been so enjoyable!

• Like 1

:ping-small:   :taylormade-small:     :rife-putters-1:   :OnCore:
'16 Taylormade M2 9.5*
Ping G Crossover 18*
Ping G Crossover 24*
Taylormade RSI2 6-PW
Taylormade MG 52* & 58*
Rife Barbados
Oncore Elixr

I've had the same 3wood in the bag for the last 13 years and it is old faithful long par 5s or "safe" tee shots it's my go to. I went for my fitting and the fitter had me hit 4-5 shots and it was exactly the distance, spin, and launch numbers. Really hard to take it out of the bag. Hit it 2-3 shots every round.

Using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  Ping G30 - Testing Ben Hogan GS53
3W:  Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead 2
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50º: Open

56º:  Cleveland RTX-2 
60º: Maltby Tour Grind MGPutter:  Odyssey White Hot RX 2-ball

Ball: Snell MTB X
Other: Game Golf Live
Handicap: 9.4  -  Best Score: 73 (3 over) Highland Park Golf Course Birmingham, AL- 2019

2020 MGS Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

I only carry one wood, a driver. I have recently started thinking about revamping the top of my bag and adding a 3 wood and a 7 wood though. Got my eye on the cobra tour big fairway wood. That or I really liked the TM original one. I know that is not a fairway wood per say, but I would use it as a second option off the tee. 

Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

I actually hit my driver better and more consistently than I hit my 3 wood. So the 3 is on the bench right now. I can basically only use it off the tee, and I hit my 2 ironwood better so no need for both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

PXG Gen1 0811X 12° driver w/Project X Evenflow Blue 55g shaft
Maltby KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft
Maltby KE4 TC 19° 3 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft
Gigagolf Reva 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Competition Series graphite shafts
Tour Edge HL4 5-6 Ironwood w/UST for TE graphite shafts
Maltby KE4 Tour+ irons 7-GW w/UST Competition Series graphite shafts
Gigagolf S2 52° and 56° wedges w/UST for Gigagolf graphite shafts
Tommy Armour Impact #3 putter

On 7/24/2018 at 1:06 PM, WardenGolf said:
I have played about 6-7 rounds of golf this year and I have hit my 3-Wood once off the tee. I'm debating if it's time to retire it for now. How often do you use your 3-Wood and is it worth a spot in your bag?

I rarely hit my 3-wood off the tee because it's no more accurate than my driver and I lack both need and confidence with it off the deck. I recently added a 5-wood to my bag (finally retired the 3-iron) and have hit three Par-5s in two that I've never hit before with it. I'm considering a "fairway finding" utility iron, but wonder if I really even need that.

My 4-iron can suffice on most courses from the tees I play, 6300-6600 yards. Perhaps I should consider a baffy for deep rough? But, I rarely see those conditions, either, in TX.

Sent from my SM-N920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Edited by J.B. TexasEx

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: Ray Cook Blue Goose or Tour Edge HP #10 Red
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

On 12/27/2019 at 2:16 PM, Berg Ryman said:

So, I'm looking at going back to a 2 FW set-up. I'm looking for a big forgiving 3W that I can hit from anywhere and a bit more of a player 5W. I'm looking forward to trying some stuff at the Golf Show we have in February. Right now Cobra has my interest in both categories, as does Tommy Armour, but I guess we'll see what works best when I get there. I love fairway woods and just feel like it's time to restore some balance to the bag

I recently replaced the 3w, 5w and driver in my Cobra XL set with the Cobra F8 3w, 5w and driver. The difference was impressive and immediate! I immediately gained 20+ yards on my drives along with a noticable jump in accuracy and consistency. I would highly recommend giving the Cobra woods a long hard look. 

• Like 1

I’ve found I hit my 3H as far or farther than my 3W. I keep pulling it out on occasion, but end up putting it back in the “benched” bag.

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”

3W stays in the bag for sure. I lose distance but am often more accurate vs my driver. Do not really use it off the fairway unless it's a solid flat lie.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter