WardenGolf

Do you actually use your 3-Wood?

Our Sponsors

havent had a 3W in the bag for about 25 years. I use a 4+W and its used every round, I get easily the same distance as a 3W, sometimes more with the slightly better loft.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Not really much these days. Driver is my favorite in my bag and there are not many holes I’m afraid to swing it.

In college I would use my 3 wood often. Off the tee, I would choose it over my driver on downwind holes when wind was really up.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

• PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TS1 4-G Nippon Modus3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Maltby TSW 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide 2020
  • Oncore Elixr

Currently testing the Ben Hogan PTx Combo irons https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/38486-2020-official-member-review-ben-hogan-icon-ptx-proicon-combo-irons/

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index

15 hours ago, tchat07 said:

3W stays in the bag for sure. I lose distance but am often more accurate vs my driver. Do not really use it off the fairway unless it's a solid flat lie.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

3 wood retired (actually sold) and a Cobra 5 wood took it's place - much, much better results. 

• Like 2

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

:cobra-small: F Max 5 wood

:ping-small:  9 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*
:wilson-small: C300 4i-GP
:cleveland-small:  Wedges RTX 3.0: 52*, 56*
:ping-small: EYE 2 Wedge 60*

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain:

:SuperSpeed: Official Tester 2020   Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

... I think I posted this earlier but it is worth repeating. The "new" ball spins less off woods enabling players to hit it higher and farther. The old 4/5 woods with the higher spinning ball  launched high with a lot of spin and could balloon or just lose distance compared to a 3 wood. Of course high swing speed players can still take advantage of todays 3 wood because even with lower spin, they can launch it high enough to maximize performance. But slower swing speed may not be able to launch a 3 wood high enough with a lower spinning ball and they can maximize distance with a higher launching 4/5 wood and can hit it even farther than a 3 wood.  

• Like 4

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Atmos TS Blue 6s
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 7s
Utility:   TaylorMade UDi 18*  ... HZRDUS Black 6.0 85 hy
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Kuro Kage 105 Tini s-flex
              4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Recoil 110s
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

3 hours ago, chisag said:

... I think I posted this earlier but it is worth repeating. The "new" ball spins less off woods enabling players to hit it higher and farther. The old 4/5 woods with the higher spinning ball  launched high with a lot of spin and could balloon or just lose distance compared to a 3 wood. Of course high swing speed players can still take advantage of todays 3 wood because even with lower spin, they can laugh it high enough to maximize performance. But slower swing speed may not be able to launch a 3 wood high enough with a lower spinning ball and they can maximize distance with a higher launching 4/5 wood and can hit it even farther than a 3 wood.  

With what you said is one of the reasons I retired my old Cally Steelhead 3 plus with UST Pro Force Gold 65 shaft--- I carried that thing for 14 years--- got older and could not elevate it. I now carry the 16* Adams in my signature. In some circles that is called a 3 wood but I call it a 4 wood. The what I call a 5 wood that goes with it is 19* and an old V-Steel 5 wood is 18*. FTR the old Cally was a Tour Issue head and measures out at 13* So honestly FTR again I do not carry a 3 wood any more

• Like 3

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

20* Hybrid Adams Boxer Ozik Matrix R shaft

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Macgregor LRA 56* S-400

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

8 hours ago, chisag said:

... I think I posted this earlier but it is worth repeating. The "new" ball spins less off woods enabling players to hit it higher and farther. The old 4/5 woods with the higher spinning ball  launched high with a lot of spin and could balloon or just lose distance compared to a 3 wood. Of course high swing speed players can still take advantage of todays 3 wood because even with lower spin, they can laugh it high enough to maximize performance. But slower swing speed may not be able to launch a 3 wood high enough with a lower spinning ball and they can maximize distance with a higher launching 4/5 wood and can hit it even farther than a 3 wood.  

I don't know if Cobra still does this, but as of the F8, the 3W was really a 3-4W, with lofts from 13*-16*.  I have it set up at 16* right now so I can hit it off the fairway.  I suppose you can call that a 4W.  When I don't feel good about my driver, I can crank the loft down to 13* and keep the ball on the planet off the tee.  

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Iron - :mizuno-small: FliHi (18*) - Recoil 760 ( S )
4i - GW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
SW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

In my current bag, I have a 3 and a 5 wood. Both definitely see a lot of use when I do get the chance to play, which unfortunately is not much.

But when I do make some changes to the bag, I'm probably going to get rid of the 3 in favour of a 4 or 5 wood. I'm a big fairway wood guy though so I'll probably still keep two in the bag. Just go with a 4 and a 7 or a 5 and a 7 or something like that, depending on what works best for my game.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

22 minutes ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I don't know if Cobra still does this, but as of the F8, the 3W was really a 3-4W, with lofts from 13*-16*.  I have it set up at 16* right now so I can hit it off the fairway.  I suppose you can call that a 4W.  When I don't feel good about my driver, I can crank the loft down to 13* and keep the ball on the planet off the tee.  

... Yup, still adjustable. But the rails on the bottom of the 5/6 wood are thicker and heavier adding more weight low, which of course produces a higher launch. I have my 3/4 set at 16* and my 5/6 set at 17* but the 5/6 launches much higher. 

• Like 3

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Atmos TS Blue 6s
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 7s
Utility:   TaylorMade UDi 18*  ... HZRDUS Black 6.0 85 hy
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Kuro Kage 105 Tini s-flex
              4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Recoil 110s
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... Yup, still adjustable. But the rails on the bottom of the 5/6 wood are thicker and heavier adding more weight low, which of course produces a higher launch. I have my 3/4 set at 16* and my 5/6 set at 17* but the 5/6 launches much higher. 

One of the reasons I have taken to the little ugly off set Adams Boxer 20* hybrid I found a little while back. It is more versatile for me at this point. I can play it forward now and with the offset and the face open some I can hit a soft high cut and stop it on a green.  I can play it back some and hit a low cut or draw stinger with it. The 5 wood flies high and it does not have one of those heavy soles either and I can not for the life of me hit the stinger with it. Same design head and I can hit the stinger with the 4 wood.  

• Like 1

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

20* Hybrid Adams Boxer Ozik Matrix R shaft

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Macgregor LRA 56* S-400

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

On 7/24/2018 at 3:06 PM, jlukes said:

Absolutely. Off the tee and off the fairway. Finally found one I absolutely love and I'll never let her go

Once you find a 3 wood that you like, it stays. I’ve been using the same one for about 6 years. I think Henrik Stenson would agree. He used the same 3 wood for about 25 years it seemed. 

• Like 2

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Once you find a 3 wood that you like, it stays. I’ve been using the same one for about 6 years. I think Henrik Stenson would agree. He used the same 3 wood for about 25 years it seemed. 
I read an article somewhere that he more or less bought out the remainder of the discontinued Garaffalloy tour blue shafts that he has in his 3. I'm sure there's probably more to the story and I'm sure he probably has a Stenson spec'd shaft.. but generally speaking, the shaft he plays costs around $25.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

:cobra-small:  F8+ 9*/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:adams-small:  Tight Lies2  3 wood (14*) / UST ProForce V2 Black (S)

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TS-1 3 - P / TT DG 105 (S+) / GP Microsuede

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW 50/6 + 56/12 Wedge 
:odyssey-small: O-Works #7 / Lamkin Sink Fit 

I carried a 3w (15 degree) most of last year.  When I played in our Senior league (5700 yards) I used it of the tee quite a bit and had wedge in on a lot of holes.   When I played our regular men's league (6100) I hit driver 99% of the time and rarely used the 3 from the fairway.   Used the 7 wood alot!

I just picked up a SIM 5W 18* and plan on using it as previously did the 3 in the Sr league.  And hope in the Mens league, those extra 10 to 15 yards it provides over the 7W will help. 

:callaway-logo-1:  MAVRIK Sub Zero 9.0 Adilia MSI 60S

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:callaway-logo-1: MAVRIK 5-A Nippon Modus 105 S 

:callaway-logo-1: MD5 Jaws 54.10 and 58.12 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

I bag theCobra F8 3-4W set st 14.5*, 5-)W set at 17*, 3H(19*) and 5H(25*). This combo covers me from 160(5H) 175(5W) 185(3H) & 195(3W). That’s pretty good coverage for a 69 yr old with 200-215 Cobra F8 Driver @ 10.5*.

So, to answer your question, yes I still use my 3 Wood.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(48*) & SW(54*) Cobra King F8 LW(58*)all wedges have Recoil 460 regular shafts Putter: 33" Bellum-Winmore 707 putter Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

I never got along with the 3-wood.  swapped it out for a 5-wood on my fitter's recommendation.  Man was he right.  I use it off the tee on shorter holes and can actually use it off the fairway or rough and get enough height on it to be playable.  I don't think I've really lost anything on the tee shots either as I'm much more consistent with it.

#MGSCOBRA2020 #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 is live!  Follow Along here!

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Tensei Pro White 6TX

:cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S

:cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - PX LZ 6.5

:cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - KBS 610 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B

:titelist-small: Pro V1x

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

:Arccos:

#cuetheduckboats

I have one in the bag now, but it really doesn't get much use.  I'm a bit sporatic with my longer woods, so my 3 wood and driver aren't that much different directionally.  I carry a 2 hybrid, which I can hit around 240 off the tee and also use that more often on par 5's if needed.  I always go back and forth with both a 3 wood and a lob wedge as those two clubs, I could easily take out of the bag and it wouldn't make much difference.  

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

3 Wood: :titelist-small: 917F2 Fujikura Pro 84 Tour Spec S

3 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

Irons 4-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 58* Nippon Modus Wedge

Putter:  image.png.cca2328f4144a299c795aa9b8f3bf677.png Inovai 6.0              :scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"  

Posted (edited)

Yes. On my home course it is very helpful on three to four par five holes. In use a TEE xcg that gets me 210-220 yds off the deck. Although, I now have a Callaway XS OR 19 degree that is breathing down its neck. It can get 200-210 yards with more ease some days.

Edited by braveheart

I absolutely love my 3 wood for tight par 4's or If i just really need to find the fairway. I normally hit the driver straight but I step up to the tee just knowing my 3 wood will find the fairway when needed.

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue

3 Wood: :adams-small: Insight BUL Stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

52 Deg:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0

56 deg: :cleveland-small: Reg 588 tour action

60 Deg: :cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0

Putter:bettinardi-small: Studio Stock #3 (Winn 1.32 Pro x grip)

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Remember the TaylorMade Rocketballz?  That may still be one of the great 3W.  Well, I bought one back in the day, but after my swing speed dropped due to old age, it went in the garage.  For the past couple of years I have been playing 2H as my longest non-driver club.  This past year I have gained a little speed back after changing my swing, so last fall I dug it out.  I immediately started hitting great shots off the fairway.  That lasted for a few months, then one day I remembered why I put it in the garage.  🙄  Since I don't hit the ball very far, I need to get the ball down the fairway as far as possible for second shots.  When I hit the RBZ 3W well; I have better scores, but it's not a 60% club, let alone an 80% well-hit club.  So yesterday I received an RBZ 3HL fairway wood in nice shape off eBay for $62.  I wish I could try it, but our courses are closed.  I'm hoping I can hit this 17º 3HL as well as I hit my 17º 2H and gain a little more distance.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 2/1/2020 at 8:23 PM, chisag said:

I just bought a cobra 5/6 used on eBay for $52. It’s all beat up, but initial hits into the net feel good. I did notice the rails, kind of reminds me of my old Sonartec 3-wood.

i actually miss the old Sonartec...

oh, yes I still hit my 3 wood, on most par 5’s and short par 4’s

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:ping-small: g400 3 wood on Aldila Stiff  not for long! Looking for a MavriK 3-wood!!!

:callaway-small: 816 Big Bertha Alpha 3-wood (stand-in until the MavriK is found)

:callaway-small: 815 GBB Alpha hybrid 19° On Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

Yep. I carry a X-hot 3w and 5w. Use them to get home in 2 on the midlength par 5s or to keep my tee shots short of trouble tight to the fairway. There is also a 9 hole course in the area that has some 260-300 yard par 4s where a Driver is too much. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 106mph

Driver: Ping i25, S-flex PWR 65 shaft
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3i: FOURTEEN FH-1000, DG X100
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce