Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

All 2018 Major champions have no equipment contracts

srooch2

Maybe this has been talked about but couldn't find anything on here. Is this the start of a new trend or just coincidence? I thought Francesco was with TM but I guess not. I wonder if this will start a new wave of "free agents"

http://www.golf.com/equipment/2018/07/23/reed-koepka-molinari-major-winners-free-agents

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

Interesting but helps that Nike is paying them endorsement deals similar to club deals to wear their apparel. No real incentive from a money point to play clubs that they don't like. To answer your question I think it will become a trend as long as apparel companies keep paying the coin for players to wear their stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

It narrows down our choices for the PGA.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Interesting point.  As the goal of MGS always points out, golfers can sometimes be too brand loyal to the point where it actually hurts their golf game by limiting their access to specific equipment. 

I don't see too many pros going this way because getting that steady paycheck and use of equipment is a nice comfort to have.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Huge opportunity for Spalding, MacGregor, Ram, and several other old friends.

every time I see the name Spalding, I think of this...

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Interesting but helps that Nike is paying them endorsement deals similar to club deals to wear their apparel. No real incentive from a money point to play clubs that they don’t like. To answer your question I think it will become a trend as long as apparel companies keep paying the coin for players to wear their stuff.

2emj6j.jpg

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Interesting but helps that Nike is paying them endorsement deals similar to club deals to wear their apparel. No real incentive from a money point to play clubs that they don't like. To answer your question I think it will become a trend as long as apparel companies keep paying the coin for players to wear their stuff.

I think this statement is spot on. These guys make millions as it is playing. Add on a nice clothing deal and they do not need someone telling them what clubs to play.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

The top tier guys all seem to keep their deals though. If they can make good money on equipment deals a lot of guys will sign with someone. Money talks, but you may see more guys like Finau that sign a 10 club deal so that they can tinker with other clubs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Andrew - Lexington, KY

Handicap: 12

Righty

Driver:  Taylormade M1 2017 Project X HZRDUS Black 70 x-stiff

4 Wood:  Callaway Rogue Project X HZRDUS Yellow 85 x-stiff

Hybrids:  Titleist 816 h1 21* Diamana D+ White 90hy

Irons: Srixon Z 565 4i, Z 765 5-PW Project X 6.5

Wedges:  Callaway MD3 50* & 54*, PM Grind 58* Project X 6.0

Putter:  Callaway O-Works Two Ball 34"

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft X

Bag:   Ping Hoofer 14

The top tier guys all seem to keep their deals though. If they can make good money on equipment deals a lot of guys will sign with someone. Money talks, but you may see more guys like Finau that sign a 10 club deal so that they can tinker with other clubs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Do you consider brooks koepka a top tier guy? He's been without a contract for two years and has two majors.

To the op I think we see some more of it but not a ton. Looking at TMs page a couple months ago I only see the big names they sponsor on PGA tour and no one else. I think more and more companies are looking at ROI on player deals and will be limiting them to bigger names.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

To the op I think we see some more of it but not a ton. Looking at TMs page a couple months ago I only see the big names they sponsor on PGA tour and no one else. I think more and more companies are looking at ROI on player deals and will be limiting them to bigger names.

Which makes me laugh when I see some of these journeymen pros all sporting Titleist hats, or TM stuff, or Callaway, or whatever, and chances are none of them have a deal with that manufacturer.  I mean, I see it at my local course too - everyone wearing Titleist hats.  Sorry, but if you ain't paying me to wear it, I'll wear some non-descript hat with no logo on it, or the hat that was given to me at some tournament with the name and logo of the local hospital on it.  

Well, maybe the PGA Tour pros get that stuff for free, which makes sense, but not for the average guy like me on the local muni.

I think golf would be even more interesting (maybe not to some) if none of the TV golfers had equipment or clothing deals. Especially clothing. You think these two men were worried about fashion?

arnold_palmer_006.jpg

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I think golf would be even more interesting (maybe not to some) if none of the TV golfers had equipment or clothing deals. Especially clothing. You think these two men were worried about fashion?

arnold_palmer_006.jpg

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Do you consider brooks koepka a top tier guy? He's been without a contract for two years and has two majors.

I believe Brooks is holding out for "Rickie Fowler" money. Read that somewhere.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Which makes me laugh when I see some of these journeymen pros all sporting Titleist hats, or TM stuff, or Callaway, or whatever, and chances are none of them have a deal with that manufacturer. I mean, I see it at my local course too - everyone wearing Titleist hats. Sorry, but if you ain't paying me to wear it, I'll wear some non-descript hat with no logo on it, or the hat that was given to me at some tournament with the name and logo of the local hospital on it.

Well, maybe the PGA Tour pros get that stuff for free, which makes sense, but not for the average guy like me on the local muni.

Do you use a nondescript bag as well?

I personally have several hats from a few companies and choose to wear them to show support for brands I like as well with logos on clothes I wear such as Nike, UA, FJ to name a few. Nothing wrong with being a homer or brand ambassador and imo no different than wearing hit, t shirt or other logo'd item supporting ones sports teams

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Now that's interesting because he isn't a brand like Rickie is. Granted he has more majors but outside of that he doesn't have the mass appeal that Rickie does and I can't see him moving the needle in apparel or gear

Which makes me laugh when I see some of these journeymen pros all sporting Titleist hats, or TM stuff, or Callaway, or whatever, and chances are none of them have a deal with that manufacturer. I mean, I see it at my local course too - everyone wearing Titleist hats. Sorry, but if you ain't paying me to wear it, I'll wear some non-descript hat with no logo on it, or the hat that was given to me at some tournament with the name and logo of the local hospital on it.

I wear a hat with my company's logo on it, I figure they pay the bills so...

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

I doubt he'll get it. While he may be a better player, he certainly doesn't have the flash of appeal that Rickie does. We already have a DJ type guy and that is more where BK fits in. He may be a better player in terms of wins but in terms of popularity he is lacking the popularity of Rickie. Rickie will sell more products than BK; therefore Rickie gets paid more. Simple as that.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I'll wear any clothing or equipment that will pay me. So far no takers. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I doubt he'll get it. While he may be a better player, he certainly doesn't have the flash of appeal that Rickie does. We already have a DJ type guy and that is more where BK fits in. He may be a better player in terms of wins but in terms of popularity he is lacking the popularity of Rickie. Rickie will sell more products than BK; therefore Rickie gets paid more. Simple as that.

Purely tongue in cheek here, but Brooks does have one thing that Rickie doesn't - a fridge full of unlimited beer.

Brooks has become one of my favorite players. Sure, he played at FSU, and well, I live in Tallahassee, so there's that. But out of all the Tour players, he's the one guy that scares the ever loving Jesus out of me. I mean, he's got enough biceps to loan out to about 5 people and still not miss them. The dude is a beast. He's a no frills kind of guy who in his own words doesn't worry about all that off course stuff. I mean, he skipped the post US Open media tours that most players go on. He simply isn't interested in branding himself that way I guess. But when he does show up at the golf course, it's all business.

I guess I admire that about him, because that's sort of how I am. Don't want the attention, and could care less about all that non-essential side show stuff.

Sent from my coral using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Purely tongue in cheek here, but Brooks does have one thing that Rickie doesn't - a fridge full of unlimited beer.

Brooks has become one of my favorite players. Sure, he played at FSU, and well, I live in Tallahassee, so there's that. But out of all the Tour players, he's the one guy that scares the ever loving Jesus out of me. I mean, he's got enough biceps to loan out to about 5 people and still not miss them. The dude is a beast. He's a no frills kind of guy who in his own words doesn't worry about all that off course stuff. I mean, he skipped the post US Open media tours that most players go on. He simply isn't interested in branding himself that way I guess. But when he does show up at the golf course, it's all business.

I guess I admire that about him, because that's sort of how I am. Don't want the attention, and could care less about all that non-essential side show stuff.

Sent from my coral using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Yeah, I am that way too. I wouldn't care about attention or admiration. I just wouldn't want that. I would want to show up and play golf. I agree I share his mindset. Play well and not care what anyone thinks. All of this does hurt his marketability though. I would take the Marshawn Lynch approach to interviews; "I'm just here so I wound get fined". I have other thoughts about media and news but here isn't the place to share them.

I wear hats, shirts, shorts, shoes, etc because they feel/look good! I don't care what brand it is. I wear my Edel hats a bunch, mostly because no one else has them anywhere I go, and because I do really like their clubs that I play. Mostly, I wear them because they look cool to me. I've always liked Titleist hats. Probably my favorite major OEM logo.

There's no doubt the apparel companies dishing-out dough makes it a LOT easier to play what works best. Take that away and more folks would have full bag deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

What most people forget to talk about is that the moment one of these ex Nike guys signs an equipment deal with another OEM, then that person's Nike equipment money goes away.

I'm guessing Nike paid a premium to get some of those guys playing their equipment, and therefore another OEM isn't coming close to matching that money. Therefore, it makes sense for the player to simply play another OEMs equipment and keep pocketing money from their Nike equipment deal.

Didn't Jason Day get like 10 mil a year to wear the swoosh? Why on earth would they even want to sell hard goods?

And Rory's Taylormade deal is $100,000,000...

So BK is probably making 7-8 million a year to wear Nike, he can put them checks in the bank, and play what works for him.

Good gosh that's a lot of $ to wear some clothes, and play a golf club brand

Didn't Jason Day get like 10 mil a year to wear the swoosh? Why on earth would they even want to sell hard goods?

So BK is probably making 7-8 million a year to wear Nike, he can put them checks in the bank, and play what works for him.

The Nike equipment guys are still having their equipment contracts paid out until they expire or they sign an equipment deal with another company

Wow, I had no idea they made that much from sponsorships. That is some serious dough. I need to practice more.... Do they really get an positive ROI? I know I don't care if Rory plays Taylormade or Nitro Blaster.

I doubt they get a + at the end of the year. Could be wrong.

Then why sponsor players? Brands like TM have plenty of brand awareness. Everyone who plays golf knows TM. What is their motivation for having a tour staff?

Then why sponsor players? Brands like TM have plenty of brand awareness. Everyone who plays golf knows TM. What is their motivation for having a tour staff?

Not sure. I was a marketing major at one point. But golf is really a niche market. I'd imagine that the net on the equipment is extremely high. They usually post quarterly earnings. If I stumble upon them I'll send them to you.

Archived