Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Most Wanted Mallet Putter Video

Golfspy_CG2

I had not gotten around to watching this until today, and boy what a worthwhile watch.   Great discussion with Adam, Sam and Harry on the the 2018 Most Wanted Mallet Putter results, a really good look at how the test is conducted and a good review of each putter that finished in the Top 5.  

Set 26 minutes aside, grab a beverage or two and enjoy.  Sounds like they may be doing similar vidoes on some of the other Most Wanted products as well. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZpoZiMRH5A

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I listened to this while working yesterday, I liked it. I know very little about puttes in general and this video was pretty helpful / informative as far as how they test and its cool learning more about the staff. 

My only thing is that I'd like to know more about the "tech" in each putter or why they think each one was better than others with similar tech, or at least there thoughts on why. For example, The Tommy Armour can't be the only cast mallet with a milled insert, but thats the only thing they really said about the putter itself and I find it the most interesting winner of all of them. I'd like to know what they think differentiates it from the rest of the pack.

These guys see and hit more putters every year than most of us will in our golfing career, I'd just like to hear some more knowledge dropped from these guys in videos like this.

Still a super cool and entertaining video. I hope they start doing more of these. 

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

This was a great video! I am curious though how other people test putters before they buy them.  I'm assuming most people don't go to a SAM Lab putter fitting before they bought the putter in their bag.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

This was a great video! I am curious though how other people test putters before they buy them. I'm assuming most people don't go to a SAM Lab putter fitting before they bought the putter in their bag.

I test putters by ensuring I can start the ball on my intended line no matter how long or short of a stroke I can make. and that I can control the distance. For me making putts on a practice green doesn't tell me much.

IMO, Puttlab is more for stroke analysis

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

My only thing is that I'd like to know more about the "tech" in each putter or why they think each one was better than others with similar tech, or at least there thoughts on why. For example, The Tommy Armour can't be the only cast mallet with a milled insert, but thats the only thing they really said about the putter itself and I find it the most interesting winner of all of them. I'd like to know what they think differentiates it from the rest of the pack..

Define what you mean by “tech”. The tommy armor is fundamentally an inexpensive cast putter that doesn't boast any unique ball roll or alignment tech. What it possibly shows is that cost of the putter is insignificant.

The thing that separates them for a tester could be the grip, lie angle, weight, weight distribution, toe hang, or any other design feature or simply how they rolled the ball that day .

In testing all of the putters I had 1 thee putt and made a high percentage of the 5 footers. As anyone moves to 10 And 20 feet the make percentages will drop and 1 or 2 putts made it missed will change the order for some people. Other testers may have had more 3 putts and lower percentages at each distance making it easier to define better or worse putters.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Immature point of view: This video is the equivalent of science matching you up with the frumpy, homely looking "4" on the dating app that will satisfy your every need versus the drop-dead gorgeous "9" just waiting for you. 

I guess I'll need to try EVERY putter at PGA SS and GG next time I go...or go find the ugliest one there and then who knows, maybe it's the "one". 

Great video, love the science and testing behind the most wanted. I just wish I had access to all this technology so I could stop playing the lottery. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Define what you mean by “tech”. The tommy armor is fundamentally an inexpensive cast putter that doesn't boast any unique ball roll or alignment tech. What it possibly shows is that cost of the putter is insignificant.

The thing that separates them for a tester could be the grip, lie angle, weight, weight distribution, toe hang, or any other design feature or simply how they rolled the ball that day .

In testing all of the putters I had 1 thee putt and made a high percentage of the 5 footers. As anyone moves to 10 And 20 feet the make percentages will drop and 1 or 2 putts made it missed will change the order for some people. Other testers may have had more 3 putts and lower percentages at each distance making it easier to define better or worse putters.

Like I said I know very little about putter tech and the differences between them apart from the obvious, but something about that putter stood out and allowed the testers to make a higher percentage of putts than a lot of other similar and better made putters, I was just saying I would like to have heard some dialogue among them about what they think are the reasons for that. Thats all. 

RH:

#cobraconnect19

Immature point of view: This video is the equivalent of science matching you up with the frumpy, homely looking "4" on the dating app that will satisfy your every need versus the drop-dead gorgeous "9" just waiting for you.

I guess I'll need to try EVERY putter at PGA SS and GG next time I go...or go find the ugliest one there and then who knows, maybe it's the "one".

Great video, love the science and testing behind the most wanted. I just wish I had access to all this technology so I could stop playing the lottery.

If the 9 would only cost me 1-2 shots per round, I may be ok with that. Especially compared to a 4!

Fortunately, I think the Evnrolls are a 9 and their tech always gets them to the top of these lists.

Driver: TS3, 9* (C1 setting, surefit cartridge in fade setting)

3/4 Wood: 917D2, 16.5 degrees (D1 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2, 19 degrees (C3 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-Iron (23 degrees); Mizuno MP-18 SC 5-iron(26) and 6-iron(30); Mizuno MP-18 7-iron(34), 8-iron(38), 9-iron(42), and P Wedge(46). Nippon Modus 120x shafts. 1 degree upright.

Wedges: Mizuno S-18 50, 54, and 58 degrees. 50 is 1 degree upright, 54 and 58 are standard lie. Nippon Modus 120x, soft stepped in the 54 and 58.

Putter: Evnroll ER1

Right-handed

Atlanta, GA

Like I said I know very little about putter tech and the differences between them apart from the obvious, but something about that putter stood out and allowed the testers to make a higher percentage of putts than a lot of other similar and better made putters, I was just saying I would like to have heard some dialogue among them about what they think are the reasons for that. Thats all. 

There is face tech like the EVNRoll Grooves or the Ping TR grooves.  They are designed to help give a consistent roll when you miss toward the heel or toe.  This is accomplished by making the middle of the face less hot than the face as you move toward the toe or heel.    The MLA putters have alignment tech that help you get the putter setup correctly. 

Not sure I would say stood out,  they were just the top performing putters for the largest group of testers.  Some testers may have had a putter that didn't make the top 5.  Unfortunately,  there really isn't an easy way to say why one putter was better than another.   As mentioned the EvnRoll putters do well because the face tech helps the ball roll out the same distance so misses are closer together so once you get the feel for the putter you theoretically group the balls closer together.  Why the Tommy Armour did so well,  honestly couldn't tell you.   I know the Evnroll grooves work based on how I hit some of the putts during the testing.  I could pick out things about other putters that potentially impacted performance for me,  but that would be for me and not necessarily all the testers.   

This was a great video! I am curious though how other people test putters before they buy them. I'm assuming most people don't go to a SAM Lab putter fitting before they bought the putter in their bag.

I drink 4 or 5 beers, get a ride to Dicks Sporting Goods and fire away with all the putters. I pick the one with the second best results and that seems to be what works best for me on the course.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

@bardle, the other thing that could influence the results is how a players vision is impacted by the shape of the putter and alignment aids. Each person could react differently meaning it helps one player setup square, another open, and a third closed.

If you want to understand some thoughts on putter aim, listen to some of the podcasts or watch some videos with David Edel. There is a video on WRX where he goes through a complete putter fitting.

@bardle, the other thing that could influence the results is how a players vision is impacted by the shape of the putter and alignment aids. Each person could react differently meaning it helps one player setup square, another open, and a third closed.

If you want to understand some thoughts on putter aim, listen to some of the podcasts or watch some videos with David Edel. There is a video on WRX where he goes through a complete putter fitting.

Thanks for this. I'll look it up and listen while I work.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

RH:

#cobraconnect19

*must have beard...  :lol:

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

The testing done here is designed to give people a short list to start with. If you find one that fits your eye and feels good off the strike then your next step is to get fit properly. Many of us are missing putts because we have the wrong toe hang putter for our arc, or lie angle causing us to fight the stroke leading to more mishits. Being 2* off on loft can also hinder your distance control.

This is merely a starting point for us to help shorten our selection process while standing in front of multiple different putter brands and styles at the golf store.

After much in-depth research both in this forum, YouTube and test putting, I ended up with the EVNROLL ER1.2 TourBlade. I came from the Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m and thought the EVNROLL mallet would be it's replacement. During my fitting I found the ER1.2 not only fit my eye better, but fit my stroke, and the feel was incredible.

So as you can see, this was just a starting point for me. I am making significantly more putts than before because of new technology, and most of all a proper fitting.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

“I should of yelled Two!”

Driver: PXG 0811x Gen 4 / Tour AD TP6s

3W: PXG 0341x Gen 1 / Tour AD TP6s

3HY: :taylormade-small: GAPR / KBS Stiff

4-PW: :taylormade-small: P770 / Nippon Pro Modus 3 120 Stiff + 1/2”

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 / Nippon Pro Modus 3 120 Stiff + 1/2” 50-09, 54-11, 60-10

Putter: :cobra-small: Grandsport 35

Ball: Pro V1

Bag: Sun Mountain C-130

Cart: Clicgear 4.0

I feel like I've been in the putter market for a year or two and finally pulled the trigger on one this past Monday. 

I have watched this year and last years MGS most wanted putter list to help with my decision making but had a question about how the list is formed....

They test 20ish putters, but how do they select the putters they test?

I haven't seen any putter that I've been interested in (based on using them in store) on their blade or mallet testing list. 

I didn't drive all the way to "course name here" to lay up

Driver |      :taylormade-small: M2,  Fujikura Pro XLR8 56 X Stiff

Utility |       :nickent-small: 3DX 17° Hybrid Ironwood, Steel Shaft

Irons |        :titelist-small: 712 AP2, 3-PW, Project X 6.0 

Wedges |  :mizuno-small: Custom MP R Ported Black Nitrite 52° 56° 60°

Putter |     :bettinardi-small: Queen B 9 34" Jumbo Grip

Bag |         :ping-small: Hoofer 4 Series Stand, Black

Shoes |      :footjoy-small:  DryJoys Tour

Ball |         :titelist-small:  AVX

Ball Striking Hero | Sergio Garcia

They test 20ish putters, but how do they select the putters they test?

As I understand, MGS contacts the OEMs and asks them to supply products for the various tests that they are conducting. The OEMs send what putters they want to include. For major brands that elect not to participate MGS may buy products to include. Other OEMs contact MGS to be included and based on criteria not known to me may or may not be added to the test. I believe MGS also provides criteria for specs on length. To my knowledge there is no limit on the number of putters in the test but there are submission deadlines to ensure that the putters can be tested according to the parameters of the tests.

Out of curiosity, what did you pick and how did you eliminate the putters you tried?

Watched that video this morning. Wow. So many things. Highly recommended to anyone who hasn't seen it. Thanks for the recommendation. I'd discuss what all I learned but I'd be here all day.

Also I love how excited Mr Edel gets when he talks about putters and fittings. Seems like a super cool guy.

RH:

#cobraconnect19

Watched that video this morning. Wow. So many things. Highly recommended to anyone who hasn't seen it. Thanks for the recommendation. I'd discuss what all I learned but I'd be here all day.

Also I love how excited Mr Edel gets when he talks about putters and fittings. Seems like a super cool guy.

Glad you enjoyed. It is just one persons thoughts on putters and fitting. Seemore putters have their thoughts as well; as do other instructors, fitters, and manufacturers. There is a lot involved in club design and why one may work better than another for people.

Hopefully it helps to show why it is sometimes difficult to say why one putter is “best” and educate you a little bit on putters in general.

Out of curiosity, what did you pick and how did you eliminate the putters you tried?

I eliminated based on how I felt standing over it and how many putts I made, so slightly contrary to what they discussed early on in the video, but in the end it was putts made and confidence standing over the putter.

I was between the EvnRoll e2 and the Bettinardi Queen B 9, ended up going with the Queen B!

I didn't drive all the way to "course name here" to lay up

Driver |      :taylormade-small: M2,  Fujikura Pro XLR8 56 X Stiff

Utility |       :nickent-small: 3DX 17° Hybrid Ironwood, Steel Shaft

Irons |        :titelist-small: 712 AP2, 3-PW, Project X 6.0 

Wedges |  :mizuno-small: Custom MP R Ported Black Nitrite 52° 56° 60°

Putter |     :bettinardi-small: Queen B 9 34" Jumbo Grip

Bag |         :ping-small: Hoofer 4 Series Stand, Black

Shoes |      :footjoy-small:  DryJoys Tour

Ball |         :titelist-small:  AVX

Ball Striking Hero | Sergio Garcia

Archived