TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf with Glasses

So I normally wear contacts and I have recently signed up to do LASIK eye surgery. In the process to get my eyes ready for the procedure, I have to wear my glasses for about a month. I am adjusting in my daily life, but I cant figure out how to take a full swing without these things moving on my face. So I need some help! Who out there plays golf in their  glasses?  I normally wear sunglasses while playing but this is a different animal. 

Callaway Rouge SZ 9 Driver

Rogue 3 wood - Aldila Synergy 

Rogue SZ 5 wood- Project X Even Flow Blue

Sub 70 699 U 22*

Taylor Made M4 5-AW - KBS Max 

Ping Glide 4.0 Wedges 54* and 58*

Sub 70 005 Wide Blade putter

As you can see from my profile pic, I wear glasses everywhere I go.  I have two pair - the ones you see in my pic, and an identical pair that are prescription sunglasses.  I normally play with the non sunglass ones, unless it's mid day and I know I will finish WAAAY before dark.

It's funny you mentioned it being different, because until age 40 I had 20/20 vision, and never wore glasses, and like you, only wore sunglasses to play golf.  I guess it was just something I adjusted to because I had to, and not because I wanted to, but I have to wear them, or basically I will not see the ball past about 75 yards.   I am now horribly near sighted.  I can read a book without glasses, but golf balls on the course disappear from my vision not far off, not to mention it's horribly blurry.

I have a buddy who recently got lasek and sees better than I do with the glasses.  I also have a friend who had cateract surgery last year, and is thrilled now that he doesn't need glasses for anything.

I've toyed with the idea of either of these two things as I honestly hate having to wear glasses.  Mostly it's because when it's hot and you are sweating bullets, I have to pull the hat and glasses off to wipe my brow, and it's just a giant pain in the butt.  How do I cope?  I guess it's that I've gotten used to it over the years, and it is what it is.  But I am still considering contacts, or some sort of surgery so I wouldn't have to wear glasses.

But yeah, when you take a full swing the edge of the glasses over the ball is definitely something that you have to get used to.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

but I cant figure out how to take a full swing without these things moving on my face. 

I guess I never answered your question.  If they are moving when you take a full swing go get them adjusted so that they don't.  I can rip the cover off of a ball and my glasses remain in place.  I would guess that once you tighten them your problem will go away.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I went through the same thing. Luckily my Lasik surgery was during the off season  :P

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

I wear prescription sunglasses always when I play. Even on overcast days when sunglasses aren't really needed. I'm just used to the look through the darker lenses I guess.

I have seen a guy a few times around the course that has an elastic type strap that fits on the glasses and around his head. Might be ok for a temporary thing.

I've heard said that Lasik doesn't last especially if you are young. I've known a few older guys that had some sort of procedure where their actual eyeball lens was replaced and they never wore glasses again. 20/20

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I guess I never answered your question.  If they are moving when you take a full swing go get them adjusted so that they don't.  I can rip the cover off of a ball and my glasses remain in place.  I would guess that once you tighten them your problem will go away.

Ditto, I wear glasses every round and can smoke the ball and they never move. They shouldn't move off of your face when you swing, they just need to be adjusted or tightened up. I dont have anything special, just some warby parkers. 

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

I appreciate the responses. Bartle and Gswag yall are spot on, they need to be adjusted. They are a few years old because I primarily wear contacts and always have. 

PlaidJacket I had actually thought of the little plastic strap. I'm going to look into getting one.  

I really hope the Lasik surgery does the trick. 25+ years with contacts or glasses, so I am ready for a change. 

Callaway Rouge SZ 9 Driver

Rogue 3 wood - Aldila Synergy 

Rogue SZ 5 wood- Project X Even Flow Blue

Sub 70 699 U 22*

Taylor Made M4 5-AW - KBS Max 

Ping Glide 4.0 Wedges 54* and 58*

Sub 70 005 Wide Blade putter

Yeah I'll echo the “get them adjusted” response. I wear glasses all the time (I have progressives, the “no line” trifocals) and I never have a problem at all with them moving.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Interesting thread. I wear glasses, progressives in very light frames that have no frames around the lens. These lenses also darken in sunlight (UV). I really like these as I always have some darkening of the lens, thus protecting my eyes from damaging sunlight. At first I really disliked wearing glasses in general on the course, but I have found that the glasses serve an unexpected service. If during my swing (back or down) the ball appears to be out of the boundary of the lens, I know I have moved my head significantly enough to effect my shot. By keeping the ball “inside the lens” I know I have kept the center axis of my swing intact. Just don't tell the USGA or they will rule glasses as illegal to use.

Take dead aim.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I wear glasses with progressive lens (blended tri-focals) that are also transitions (darken with sunlight). They don't create any issue with my game... that I'm aware of  :).  I don't have any issue with them moving during my swing;  perhaps yours just need further adjustment.  If they are glass lens, which they may be if temporary (less cost), they are usually much heavier.  Most full time wearers opt for plastic and high gradient lens because they are lightweight.

I looked into Lasik surgery some years ago, but when they said one eye would be corrected for far and the other for near, that simply sounded like a headache.  But the honest truth is, the idea of having my eyes sliced up just gives me the creeps.  Besides, my true passion is fly-fishing and my glasses have served as protection more than once.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I wear glasses all the time and no movement issues. Ditto on getting them adjusted. Alternatively get a different frame - one that is more secure.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I wear glasses as well, no problems with them moving... unless I'm doing a handstand :lol:

I used to wear contacts as well, but I'm so lazy now...

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I wear glasses since grade 4.  I wish I could blame my bad golf game on my glasses, but even when I wear contacts my game stinks, LOL.  I find that glasses are a bit sharper to me than contacts and now that I wear bi-focals, the I see the ball a bit better up close.  They are a pain though since I don't have prescription sunglasses.

As for the op, they should never move on your face.  Most likely loose.  You can take them back to where you bought them from and they should adjust it for you.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I wear glassss when playing and it drives me nuts. Considdring Lasik or contacts. I have zero issue with them moving as they fit solid. I also hsve progressives but cant wear them golfing aa the transitions seems to line up where the ball is.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Only contacts for me! I don't think I could handle the constant slipping from the sweat on my face! No way. When I was at the range today in the sweltering heat, I kept having drips of sweat on my sunglasses. Aggravating!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

@harveydiamond

Fully agree. After progressives I took the glasses off to play. That only lasted one season. After I literally missed the ball on a few approach shots I put the glasses on . It took about three range sessions to realize exactly what you said. When the head and eyes stay put so does the ball.

Now I can't play without the glasses.

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Heavy 10.5 closed face setting

Callaway Razor Fit 3 wood

Nickent 3 Hybrid

XR-OS 4i - 9i factory steel stiff 2 up +1

Ben Hogan 44,48,52,56

Nickent PP-01

Maxfli Tour Center of Gravity model

I started wearing glasses in college and have worn them my entire adult life.

My only problem, whether wearing the clear or the dark, is that sometimes on the course, they fog in very high humidity.

When I first started with bifocals, I sometimes had a problem with the ball moving from one level of the lenses to another, but that actually forced me to keep my head still.  When the progressives came out, that was solved as well.

It's just a short term problem for you, thankfully.  You'll be fine.

Archived