Hey yall,

First post here. This was my first time really taking video of my swing and would love some feedback. I have a pretty steep downswing which is something I would really like to work on, but don't really know how to go about that.

I've only been golfing for 3 years now after playing baseball my whole life through college. I definitely have some bad habits from baseball which I've had to try and get rid of.

Typical ball flight is a mid/high 5 yard draw. The videos are an 8 iron which is my 165 yard club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4XV9XnrGGw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwMqnHTkXr4

• Like 1

Welcome to MGS!

Swing looks pretty good. Have been on Trackman or GC2/Quad that has told you that your too steep on the downswing??

• Like 1

Welcome to MGS!

Swing looks pretty good. Have been on Trackman or GC2/Quad that has told you that your too steep on the downswing??

No sir, just looks steep to me in transition. And thank you!

You sir, are a brave man! Swing looks good, maybe a touch quick in transition? I'll let some of the real pros offer opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I am not a pro and will never claim to be.

My only comment is that at the top of your backswing; you have a little redirect to the outside. I would try to not redirect the club so much. Your redirect could lead to some pull hooks.

That being said if it works, don't change it. You clearly have natural ability. Just put in practice and you will be very good.

• Like 1

I am not a pro and will never claim to be.

My only comment is that at the top of your backswing; you have a little redirect to the outside. I would try to not redirect the club so much. Your redirect could lead to some pull hooks.

That being said if it works, don't change it. You clearly have natural ability. Just put in practice and you will be very good.

That's generally my miss actually. Not a massive pull with irons but starts left and kind of overdraw to the left. Mostly a bigger issue with driver for sure. Thank you for your feedback!

• Like 1

It's a really nice swing. The only thing I see is a very slight outside the line takeaway and residually, a right elbow just a touch late in starting to fold tight to the side.

I happened to have had the very same issue and releasing tension in my right elbow at address was the very simple cure. Nothing pronounced, just a very slight sag. My takeaway became more straight to inside and my elbow bent more naturally and timely.

Bonus was the improved sequence effortlessly resulted in increased distance too.

• Like 1

It's a really nice swing. The only thing I see is a very slight outside the line takeaway and residually, a right elbow just a touch late in starting to fold tight to the side.

I happened to have had the very same issue and releasing tension in my right elbow at address was the very simple cure. Nothing pronounced, just a very slight sag. My takeaway became more straight to inside and my elbow bent more naturally and timely.

Bonus was the improved sequence effortlessly resulted in increased distance too.

Hmm, if I don't lock both of my arms at address I shank it every time because both of my arms are locked at impact. If my arms don't start out locked the head moves farther away from me leading to a heel shank when I lock them for impact. This may not be textbook but that is what I found for my swing.
  • Like 2

Hmm, if I don't lock both of my arms at address I shank it every time because both of my arms are locked at impact. If my arms don't start out locked the head moves farther away from me leading to a heel shank when I lock them for impact. This may not be textbook but that is what I found for my swing.

And hence the beautifully individual game of golf.

On the course, I've only mentioned the above to others when they asked and if I happened to notice the similar flaw, all realized a good result instantly.

But that's still a very controlled sample-size and not at all indicative of a universal fix, hence golf's individuality.

What's odd for me is that the "fix" works tremendously with irons and hybrids (I no longer play fairway woods). And although I enjoy excellent distance gains with driver, my accuracy will suffer some so I will straighten my right elbow some and sacrifice distance.

Never locked for me though, that spells disaster for my game.

• Like 2