TESTERS WANTED! ×

Launch Monitor Question

I'm planning to purchase a launch monitor by the end of the year. I cant spend over $500 (have a wedding by coming and and that's what I will be paid). Key features for me will be, Carry distance, launch angle, spin rate, swing speed and ease of use.

I've been reading reviews, including those here. It seems to me that there are two LMs that fit my requirements. One from Earnest Sports and the Mevo. Of those two I prefer the Mevo on paper because it doesn't appear to require a supporting device and fits my criteria, other than the great unknown of ease of use.

Is there anyone here who has one or at least has tried one? If so have you also tried the ES 14 from Earnest sports? How do they compare?

BTW voice caddy is a distant third because it doesn't give spin rate - that is a large factor for me - I struggle with spin rate. Knowing where I'm at is extremely important to me.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Mevo reviews are quite good for the price. I do believe though that you need your phone to sync with it plus you need to add silver tabs to each of your balls (practice ones not the other ones ;) ) to monitor spin rates- that alone would be enough to put me off.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

If I had to make a choice right now, I'd go with the ES14 for the same reason as perservering...the dots. They'd be find in my garage but obviously useless on the range.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

My experience with the ES14 was a bit rough as I explained in my C300 review. However i did preface it with the fact that it was an older and shopworn unit - buttons didn't work well.

Rev I did like the ability to capture and download via email all of the data to excel for later review. FYI to do this you have to have your phone with the ES app capturing the data on the range. I saw one of these on eBay for $200+.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Rev - I just read this yesterday over on the Practical Golf website. Perhaps this will be helpful to you.

https://practical-golf.com/sc200-swing-caddie-review/

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Thanks Plaid - The Voice Caddy currently is sitting third on my list because there is no spin rate feature.  However it scores very high for ease of use and accuracy, plus it's a couple of hundred cheaper so it may move up.

Thanks everyone else the feedback thus far is extremely helpful.  Is there a cost to the App with the ES 14 or for that matter the Mevo.  I don't see that there is.

In regards to the dots I wouldn't always be concerned about spin rates, that would be something that I would check periodically to make sure that things were where I wanted them to be.  I'm just curious as to how much of a pain it is to set the ball up properly with the dots aligned to get fairly accurate data (I know it won't be perfect but I can eyeball shots well enough to say - no that one gets tossed out.)  I'd be using the LM as a practice tool not to fit anyone obviously.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Thanks Plaid - The Voice Caddy currently is sitting third on my list because there is no spin rate feature.  However it scores very high for ease of use and accuracy, plus it's a couple of hundred cheaper so it may move up.

Thanks everyone else the feedback thus far is extremely helpful.  Is there a cost to the App with the ES 14 or for that matter the Mevo.  I don't see that there is.

In regards to the dots I wouldn't always be concerned about spin rates, that would be something that I would check periodically to make sure that things were where I wanted them to be.  I'm just curious as to how much of a pain it is to set the ball up properly with the dots aligned to get fairly accurate data (I know it won't be perfect but I can eyeball shots well enough to say - no that one gets tossed out.)  I'd be using the LM as a practice tool not to fit anyone obviously.

Rev, no cost to the ES app. It has great functionality and you can email the info from the app,  I just wish I could control the ES 14 from the App. The SC200 has a remote or use the buttons on the unit. Also the SC200 is an easy setup just put it 3' behind the ball. The ES 14 requires you to use a L shaped cardboard template for ball placement and it does move around as you strike the ball. Additionally, the sensor is 'close range' - if I hooked the ball it didn't capture any data. 

At this time I need more info on distances/ball speed.  as my workout regiment = more upper body strength, Also the addition of the new C300's means my old distance 'book' is off. Stage 2 would be spin rate and launch angle. So maybe initially a SC200 then later a more data type unit? 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Rev, for me personally, I don't know if I would be too concerned with spin rate on a hand held launch monitor. Unless you've got access to a Trackman, you're going to get some head scratching readings. Heck, I even get conflicting data on a GC Quad. I think carry, total yards, ball speed, and club speed would be sufficient for mapping out your bag. If you want spin, AoA or club path, then you'll need to bump up to the 4-figure launch monitors. 

Here's the SC200 Review by GolfSpy Rob. It's pretty in depth. https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/20938-sc200-review-unofficial/?hl=sc200

Heck after reading that, I might seriously consider getting one. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

FYI I just purchased a SC200  for $200. on ebay - new still in unopened package. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I use my sc200 a couple times a week on the range, and I have for the last year. And I think it is really good at what it does.

A couple notes on it, as mentioned, it doesn't track spin. So it uses a average that they programed for distance calculations, it is accurate enough if you are trying to determine how far you hit a 4 iron, or what club you should use from 150y out. I only use the "carry" yardage, I never use the option for it to guess your roll out.

Range balls usually suck. More so with longer clubs, so if you have a target at 150y and hit your standard 150y shot the monitor will say you hit it 150 and you will see it land at 150. But once you start hitting drivers, it might say that you got it 240, but you can see the ball land between the 200 & 225 marker.

In this case, I trust the sc200 to be closer to what I would get on the course than what the range ball shows me.

Setting up and using it couldn't be easier. I think it is a good product, and people at the range always wander over to see it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Rev, for me personally, I don't know if I would be too concerned with spin rate on a hand held launch monitor. Unless you've got access to a Trackman, you're going to get some head scratching readings. Heck, I even get conflicting data on a GC Quad. I think carry, total yards, ball speed, and club speed would be sufficient for mapping out your bag. If you want spin, AoA or club path, then you'll need to bump up to the 4-figure launch monitors.

Here's the SC200 Review by GolfSpy Rob. It's pretty in depth. https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/20938-sc200-review-unofficial/?hl=sc200

Heck after reading that, I might seriously consider getting one.

Thanks for the kind words on the unofficial review.

I continue to use it every few range sessions or ecrfu new set of irons which ever is more frequent

And as Thintowin mentions. I get different readings with range balls vs real balls on course.

I'm fortunate that I can go out to a hole that is slow and hit 6 to a dozen shots on a par 3 to get iron numbered or off the tee on a par 5 to get driver numbers.

I also agree about not getting hung up on the spin numbers for practice. To me that's more of a fitting thing I'll leave to the pros. Not much I can do about it with the current clubs while practicing.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Well there is something in regards to spin rate and that's should the loft on the driver be tweaked if it's adjustable.

However - you could just as easily tell by distance anyway - on what setting do I get the most carry and distance

It's between the Voice Caddie and the Mevo right now.  I've got a few weeks until the wedding.

Thanks for the help everyone - it's  been great.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I had another thought Rev. There was a guy that sold a Mevo here recently. $450 he was asking. It shows he hasn't been in the Forum since the 15th but perhaps you might send him a PM for his opinion.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/24581-flightscope-mevo/?hl=mevo

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I would stay away from anything starting with ES. 

:callaway-small: Paradym 9 degree Driver

:wilson-small: DYNAPWR 3 wood

:callaway-small: Apex 21  PW-4 Iron

:cleveland: CBX 50 degree

:cleveland: CBX 54 degree

:cleveland: CBX2 58 degree

:vokey-small: SM6 62 Degree   

:EVNROLL: ER2 Putter

Thanks again guys - I think I'm going with the Voice Caddy - my sense is that it's much easier to use and will give me the data that I need.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

• 2 weeks later...

Got my SC200 yesterday - went to the range with it today.

I was very impressed with ease of use and accuracy for SS, smash factor and carry distance.

I was a little concerned about having it 4 feet behind me. I never notice it before it shouted my yardage out - that was embarrassing.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I was very impressed with ease of use and accuracy for SS, smash factor and carry distance.

I was a little concerned about having it 4 feet behind me. I never notice it before it shouted my yardage out - that was embarrassing.

There is a volume control on it Rev. Turn it down and just look at the data. Better yet just look at the average after your session.

FYI I'm finding it's helping me work on increasing my swing speed.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

The sc200 is awesome, setting where it gives you different yardage's is really helpful for staying out of a rhythm and focusing on each shot, also adds a bit of pressure to practice. Good pick up on the sc200 👍🏼

LOL. I quickly turned the volume down on that feature. Ha

LOL. I quickly turned the volume down on that feature. Ha

Yeah, I use the lowest volume setting. Maybe if I could crank 300+ yard drives I would use the loudest.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Yeah, I use the lowest volume setting. Maybe if I could crank 300+ yard drives I would use the loudest.

LOL - too bad we can't modify the numbers!

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I think it's very accurate.

I tried driver on all of its set points to see what would happen. Of course that's where spin rate would ultimately matter - I know my best set point is either neutral or down .6. Longer carry at neural so it stays there while it's wet and run out is no existent and I will worry about the spin rate in November when run out returns.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Had mine on the range again today but quickly took it away when four of our young assistant pros were warming up and bombing the stupid ball away - I thought I was striking the ball well until they showed up.

I was able to keep my driver SS at 90 today ... Got to get that sucker to 110 to compete with those kids - two of them are mini-tour regulars - they just kill the ball - if they had heard my toy they would have wanted to start playing with it.

From what I can tell it's more accurate with regular balls than range balls - if I only use our good range balls when I'm using it there's not much difference though.  We do have some older but wiser balls mixed in - I just toss them aside.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Received yesterday. A little weary purchasing off eBay, but at $200 took the chance. Ridiculously easy to set up. Took it out back for a few swings into the net. Swing speed was spot on with the driver. Starting around 100 and working up to 110. Carry and smash seemed right. Hit a few 7 irons that were in the right ballpark for carry. Need to get it out on a range and see full flight and determine the optimal setup behind the ball. My grass is a bit uneven and couldn't quite line it up the way I wanted to. All in all pretty cool little setup. Should be a fun practice tool out on the range and the course.

Received yesterday. A little weary purchasing off eBay, but at $200 took the chance. Ridiculously easy to set up. Took it out back for a few swings into the net. Swing speed was spot on with the driver. Starting around 100 and working up to 110. Carry and smash seemed right. Hit a few 7 irons that were in the right ballpark for carry. Need to get it out on a range and see full flight and determine the optimal setup behind the ball. My grass is a bit uneven and couldn't quite line it up the way I wanted to. All in all pretty cool little setup. Should be a fun practice tool out on the range and the course.

I've used it several times on the range. No issues at all in reading but then the tee boxes on our driving range are pretty even. I stick it about 4' back and I also turn the sound to #1 so I don't disturb the others around me (or maybe not to embarrass myself).

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I've used it several times on the range. No issues at all in reading but then the tee boxes on our driving range are pretty even. I stick it about 4' back and I also turn the sound to #1 so I don't disturb the others around me (or maybe not to embarrass myself).

Can you turn the sound completely off or is there just a lowest setting? Not sure I like the idea of it making any noise at all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

Can you turn the sound completely off or is there just a lowest setting? Not sure I like the idea of it making any noise at all.

Not sure if you can turn it off completely but level 1 is hardly noticeable.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Yes you can turn it to zero I believe. I keep mine off almost 100% of the time. I see how short my drives are. I don't need to be told as well.

Archived