TESTERS WANTED! ×

Saying goodbye to the 4 iron...maybe

I'm considering replacing the 4 iron with a 4 hybrid after reading the data on the sight and realizing the 4i has been relegated to a punch from trouble.

I am hoping someone might have personal experience with the clubs I am considering.

Has anyone hit both the Adams Red and the Adams Blue?

Beyond that. How about experiences with a replacement?

Did the hybrid stay in the bag?

Looking forward to feedback.

Callaway

XR OS 2up 1over

BB 454 driver -1

Razor fit 3w

Nickent 3h and Nickent PP-001

yup. Original owner

In Tennessee with an 18 handicap

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Heavy 10.5 closed face setting

Callaway Razor Fit 3 wood

Nickent 3 Hybrid

XR-OS 4i - 9i factory steel stiff 2 up +1

Ben Hogan 44,48,52,56

Nickent PP-01

Maxfli Tour Center of Gravity model

I just got new clubs via the MGS C300 test that were 4-PW. I was really excited to have both 4 & 5 since my old set was 6-PW. After a dozen sessions I retired the 4i and replaced it with a hybrid. I carry 3 hybrids in my bag 19, 22.and 26 and love em.

Not sure if you've hit other hybrids (other than Adams) but you may want of to go to your local source and try out a bunch of different brands. I tried all of the brands that GG carries and settled on Ping G 30.

FYI my wife plays with Adams hybrids and likes them.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I love the Callaway Steelhead 3 & 4 hybrids I picked up from Callaway preowned.  

https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/golf-clubs/hybrids/hybrids-2016-steelhead-xr.html

You can pick up a like new one for a reasonable price so check out the reviews and see what you think. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I love the Callaway Steelhead 3 & 4 hybrids I picked up from Callaway preowned.

https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/golf-clubs/hybrids/hybrids-2016-steelhead-xr.html

You can pick up a like new one for a reasonable price so check out the reviews and see what you think.

I've been “forcing” myself to use hybrids lately. When I hit them it's great when I don't, snap hook. I think it's a process I need to follow instead of falling back to irons.

OG , your on to to something.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Thanks. Good info. All my Callaway's came from the preowned site. They do a really good job. I really should hit some locally instead of falling back to the impulse buy. The in-house comptroller might prefer that as well

Nickent 3 Hybrid

Ben Hogan 44,48,52,56

Nickent PP-01

I think you'll find that if you have 100 golfers, you'll get 100 different club selections for their bags.  I'll just give you what I currently have in my bag, and what seems to work for me at the moment.  Keep in mind that I'm prone to get angry at clubs that don't behave, and sometimes I don't even need an excuse to switch to something else, if the mood strikes, especially when it comes to long irons, et al.

I carry at PING G400 3 hybrid (19 degrees) and a PING G400 4 crossover (22 degrees).  I then start my irons with 5 through wedges.  I was struggling with the 4 iron conundrum, which seems to be a popular conundrum amongst the MGS crowd here, and I was flirting with getting the 4 hybrid, when I started looking into the 4 crossover that PING offers.

How is the crossover different from a regular 4 iron, or the hybrid?  I'm so glad you asked.  The crossover has a bigger head, but looks just like an iron, but it also has a graphite shaft that you'll find in hybrids and fairway woods.  So I guess for me it was a compromise between getting the hybrid or continuing to play a 4 iron, which is hard to be consistent with.

My results with the crossover are varied, but I would consider it better than an iron, but not as easy to hit as a hybrid.  I've also noticed that the crossover, when I hit it solid, go just as far, if not further than the 3 hybrid, so distance control is kind of iffy with this club.

Anyway, that's what I have, and am currently playing. 

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I replaced my 4 iron last year with a 21* hybrid. Its not coming out any time soon... I hit that club way too well. The 4 iron, not so much.

WITB - New Drive, Irons, and putter for 2019. What could possible go wrong?

Driver:   :callaway-small: EPIC 
3wd:  :cobra-small: BIO Cell+ 12.5*
2hb:  :callaway-small: Diablo Tour 18*
4-pw:  :srixon-small: 765
52*:  :cleveland-small: RTX-3
56*: :cleveland-small: RTX-3
60*: :cleveland-small: RTX-3
Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER 1

For me it depends on the course and what me needs for the day are, I have both 4i and 4h so I will switch them out depending on the course and tee setups. I like the 4h off the tee but prefer the 4i from the turf. So if the course requires some shorter tee shot I will bag the hybrid. If not I put the 4i in the bag.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

this thread brings out an interesting question. Why is the 4I so hard to hit? Even I struggle with it,yet I can 99% of the time execute my 5i without any issues. But I switch to the 4 and that's a whole new ball game. it's like it's a completely different club?

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

if you're checking out hybrids, be sure to give Cobra a go. I have the F7 in 3/4 ( which you can get pretty cheap these days) and the rails are sweet and helpful. As for still carrying a 4i, my current Cleveland Launcher irons have very low lofted irons with the 4i at 20 and 5i at 23 ( both soon to be bent 1 degree weak) , and i've been very surprised how good the flight is on them. the Cleveland Launcher HB are stupid easy to hit and get airborne if you're looking for a tweener/crossover club. Full disclosure: I won the Clevelands and didn't have to pay for them (but they are damn sweet) , but did buy the Cobra and it has been well worth it. 

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I'm considering replacing the 4 iron with a 4 hybrid after reading the data on the sight and realizing the 4i has been relegated to a punch from trouble.

I am hoping someone might have personal experience with the clubs I am considering.

Callaway

XR OS 2up 1over

BB 454 driver -1

Razor fit 3w

yup. Original owner

I currently use the Adams Red 18*. I still carry a 4i as well as the hybrid replaced my 5W. I may drop the 4i for another wedge. I enjoy the Adams Red. It's not the most used club in my bag, but does come in handy.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

this thread brings out an interesting question. Why is the 4I so hard to hit? Even I struggle with it,yet I can 99% of the time execute my 5i without any issues. But I switch to the 4 and that's a whole new ball game. it's like it's a completely different club?

Excellent question. Sometimes I feel that it's all in my brain about not being able to hit the 4i as well as the 5i or my hybrid. My personal preference is to just use the hybrid.

My guess is that I make it a self-fulfilling prophecy that I can't hit my 4i and have that thought in my head when I go to try and play it.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Interesting  - until I came on this thread I thought my inability to hit a 4i was just me. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

This is interesting. My 4 iron is my go to club. I can hit it high, low, draw, fade. Heck, I might hit it better than my 9 iron. I can't hit hybrids at all. I carry no hybrids. I go 3W 2 iron and then 4 iron. Hybrids are hook machines for me. I have always heard great things about the Cobras with the Baffler rails.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

It's the loft of the clubhead and the length of the shaft.  Don't worry, if you put in a 3 iron, that would be your hardest iron to hit, and the 2 iron if that was your highest lofted club.

They used to joke about the 1 iron being impossible to hit, so it's just the trend.  Pretty soon, all of our irons will be hybrids and we'll be left with wedges, because the 9 iron will be the highest lofted iron in your bag, and you can't hit that either.   :D

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I think you'll find that if you have 100 golfers, you'll get 100 different club selections for their bags. I'll just give you what I currently have in my bag, and what seems to work for me at the moment. Keep in mind that I'm prone to get angry at clubs that don't behave, and sometimes I don't even need an excuse to switch to something else, if the mood strikes, especially when it comes to long irons, et al.

I carry at PING G400 3 hybrid (19 degrees) and a PING G400 4 crossover (22 degrees). I then start my irons with 5 through wedges. I was struggling with the 4 iron conundrum, which seems to be a popular conundrum amongst the MGS crowd here, and I was flirting with getting the 4 hybrid, when I started looking into the 4 crossover that PING offers.

How is the crossover different from a regular 4 iron, or the hybrid? I'm so glad you asked. The crossover has a bigger head, but looks just like an iron, but it also has a graphite shaft that you'll find in hybrids and fairway woods. So I guess for me it was a compromise between getting the hybrid or continuing to play a 4 iron, which is hard to be consistent with.

My results with the crossover are varied, but I would consider it better than an iron, but not as easy to hit as a hybrid. I've also noticed that the crossover, when I hit it solid, go just as far, if not further than the 3 hybrid, so distance control is kind of iffy with this club.

Anyway, that's what I have, and am currently playing.

Thanks. I had never seen a crossover club before. I will add that to the list.

Callaway

XR OS 2up 1over

BB 454 driver -1

Razor fit 3w

yup. Original owner

Nickent 3 Hybrid

Ben Hogan 44,48,52,56

Nickent PP-01

I currently use the Adams Red 22*. I still carry a 4i as well as the hybrid replaced my 5W. I may drop the 4i for another wedge. I enjoy the Adams Red. It's not the most used club in my bag, but does come in handy.

Thanks

Callaway

XR OS 2up 1over

BB 454 driver -1

Razor fit 3w

yup. Original owner

Nickent 3 Hybrid

Ben Hogan 44,48,52,56

Nickent PP-01

Right now my 4i is way more reliable than my 4h. But as some folks have mentioned in this thread maybe I need to try a few different hybrids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

if you're checking out hybrids, be sure to give Cobra a go. I have the F7 in 3/4 ( which you can get pretty cheap these days) and the rails are sweet and helpful. As for still carrying a 4i, my current Cleveland Launcher irons have very low lofted irons with the 4i at 20 and 5i at 23 ( both soon to be bent 1 degree weak) , and i've been very surprised how good the flight is on them. the Cleveland Launcher HB are stupid easy to hit and get airborne if you're looking for a tweener/crossover club. Full disclosure: I won the Clevelands and didn't have to pay for them (but they are damn sweet) , but did buy the Cobra and it has been well worth it.

+1 on the cobras as well. When I broke my tee 3h, I had a cobra amp cell. So I put it in play. It's very solid. The ball jumps off the face. If you look around you can find them reallly inexpensive as well.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Callaway

XR OS 2up 1over

BB 454 driver -1

Razor fit 3w

yup. Original owner

I have a Titelist 716 TMB 4 iron that I love! Way easier to hit than other 4 irons I have tried, but has more of the versatility of an iron compared to other crossover clubs in my opinion. I have a 3 hybrid at 20 degrees and then play the 4 iron at 23 degrees (my set 5 iron is 26 degrees).

Driver: TS3, 9* (C1 setting, surefit cartridge in fade setting)

3/4 Wood: 917D2, 16.5 degrees (D1 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2, 19 degrees (C3 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-Iron (23 degrees); Mizuno MP-18 SC 5-iron(26) and 6-iron(30); Mizuno MP-18 7-iron(34), 8-iron(38), 9-iron(42), and P Wedge(46). Nippon Modus 120x shafts. 1 degree upright.

Wedges: Mizuno S-18 50, 54, and 58 degrees. 50 is 1 degree upright, 54 and 58 are standard lie. Nippon Modus 120x, soft stepped in the 54 and 58.

Putter: Evnroll ER1

Right-handed

Atlanta, GA

I recommend you hybrid as an option. I don't always carry mine. I usually review the course layout then make a decision from there what will go in the bag for that specific round.

I own two hybrids; 21 degree Taylormade Burner and a Cobra F7. That TM is the truth. It looks a hot mess from years of bad lies and abuse but it flat performs. I'd chase EBay for one! The Cobra is acceptable but not exceptional.

IMG_0808.PNG

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I noticed something cool.

With modern hybrids and modern stronger iron lofts, we have something different from the old days.

If one has a driver, a single fairway wood, and a couple of hybrids at the top of one's set,

a not at all uncommon setup these days,

then the 5-9 irons actually become the fifth through ninth clubs in the set!

Four wedges (who'd have predicted that fifty years ago?)  and a putter bring you home. 

As noted above, it's a personal decision, and it may vary based on your clubhead speed to some extent. I am more comfortable with long irons than hybrids, but I'm the exception among my peers. I have a new set of 4i thru GW, but I still carry my old W/S 2i and a CLK hybrid (both 19 deg) and force myself to use the hybrid. I am comfortable using my 4i and my 2i.

Just out of curiosity, what does the 2 hybrid do that the 2 iron can't? Why not carry an extra wedge?

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Like I said, I am still comfortable with long irons and force myself to carry and use a 3 hybrid assuming I'll warm up to it like most players, but the jury is still out on the hybrid. Off a good lie, it's a toss up. To punch out, the 2i. I suppose the hybrid is better off poorer lies due to the wide sole.

And I don't want or need another wedge at the top, or I would make room.

You hit the nail on the head. The hybrid is much better of bad lies. I am much like you in that I prefer hitting irons. Sadly age has not been kind and hitting a 2 or 3 is not an option if I want to stop the ball on or even close to the green. My contact is good but swing speed just won't get the ball in the air. The hybrid flies high and lands reasonably soft for me.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

i recently purchased a king cobra oversized 3/4 hybrid and took it out for a test today..  and after the first 5 shots I now have a new favorite club.  175 yards and straight. 

it also has adjustable lofts , right now i am at a 20.5 degrees.  

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

I petsonally love the 2h Adams Red. Even though im getting a new set with a 4i, Im considering finding a 4h to compliment my 2 and 3h. I hit them pretty darn well.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

My 4h has been retired. I played with the 4i today and it got me by. Eventually I'll try to find a 4h that I can actually hit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

Thanks everyone for the input. We have a good second hand shop 8n town. I think I will see if they have any TM's or cobra's before my next outing. In the middle of moving so there's that little wrinkle

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Nickent 3 Hybrid

Ben Hogan 44,48,52,56

Nickent PP-01

I play the r i c k e t b a l d e z 4 iron. Love it. I am considering 4H. Getting close to age 60 and would like to hit the golfball a little higher with my long Irons. Good post . Thx for sharing .

Kenny

The Adams Red was considered to be a more iron-like hybrid, and many found it similar to the new Hogan hybrids. A good option if you hook hybrids.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Archived