3ironpunch

Saying goodbye to the 4 iron...maybe

I'm considering replacing the 4 iron with a 4 hybrid after reading the data on the sight and realizing the 4i has been relegated to a punch from trouble.

I am hoping someone might have personal experience with the clubs I am considering.

Has anyone hit both the Adams Red and the Adams Blue?

Beyond that. How about experiences with a replacement?

Did the hybrid stay in the bag?

Looking forward to feedback.

Callaway

XR OS 2up 1over

BB 454 driver -1

Razor fit 3w

Nickent 3h and Nickent PP-001

yup. Original owner

In Tennessee with an 18 handicap

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I just got new clubs via the MGS C300 test that were 4-PW. I was really excited to have both 4 & 5 since my old set was 6-PW. After a dozen sessions I retired the 4i and replaced it with a hybrid. I carry 3 hybrids in my bag 19, 22.and 26 and love em.

Not sure if you've hit other hybrids (other than Adams) but you may want of to go to your local source and try out a bunch of different brands. I tried all of the brands that GG carries and settled on Ping G 30.

FYI my wife plays with Adams hybrids and likes them.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I love the Callaway Steelhead 3 & 4 hybrids I picked up from Callaway preowned.

https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/golf-clubs/hybrids/hybrids-2016-steelhead-xr.html

You can pick up a like new one for a reasonable price so check out the reviews and see what you think.

I've been “forcing” myself to use hybrids lately. When I hit them it's great when I don't, snap hook. I think it's a process I need to follow instead of falling back to irons.

OG , your on to to something.

• Like 2

Thanks. Good info. All my Callaway's came from the preowned site. They do a really good job. I really should hit some locally instead of falling back to the impulse buy. The in-house comptroller might prefer that as well

• Like 2

I think you'll find that if you have 100 golfers, you'll get 100 different club selections for their bags.  I'll just give you what I currently have in my bag, and what seems to work for me at the moment.  Keep in mind that I'm prone to get angry at clubs that don't behave, and sometimes I don't even need an excuse to switch to something else, if the mood strikes, especially when it comes to long irons, et al.

I carry at PING G400 3 hybrid (19 degrees) and a PING G400 4 crossover (22 degrees).  I then start my irons with 5 through wedges.  I was struggling with the 4 iron conundrum, which seems to be a popular conundrum amongst the MGS crowd here, and I was flirting with getting the 4 hybrid, when I started looking into the 4 crossover that PING offers.

How is the crossover different from a regular 4 iron, or the hybrid?  I'm so glad you asked.  The crossover has a bigger head, but looks just like an iron, but it also has a graphite shaft that you'll find in hybrids and fairway woods.  So I guess for me it was a compromise between getting the hybrid or continuing to play a 4 iron, which is hard to be consistent with.

My results with the crossover are varied, but I would consider it better than an iron, but not as easy to hit as a hybrid.  I've also noticed that the crossover, when I hit it solid, go just as far, if not further than the 3 hybrid, so distance control is kind of iffy with this club.

Anyway, that's what I have, and am currently playing. 

• Like 2

I replaced my 4 iron last year with a 21* hybrid. Its not coming out any time soon... I hit that club way too well. The 4 iron, not so much.

• Like 2

For me it depends on the course and what me needs for the day are, I have both 4i and 4h so I will switch them out depending on the course and tee setups. I like the 4h off the tee but prefer the 4i from the turf. So if the course requires some shorter tee shot I will bag the hybrid. If not I put the 4i in the bag.

• Like 2

this thread brings out an interesting question. Why is the 4I so hard to hit? Even I struggle with it,yet I can 99% of the time execute my 5i without any issues. But I switch to the 4 and that's a whole new ball game. it's like it's a completely different club?

• Like 5

if you're checking out hybrids, be sure to give Cobra a go. I have the F7 in 3/4 ( which you can get pretty cheap these days) and the rails are sweet and helpful. As for still carrying a 4i, my current Cleveland Launcher irons have very low lofted irons with the 4i at 20 and 5i at 23 ( both soon to be bent 1 degree weak) , and i've been very surprised how good the flight is on them. the Cleveland Launcher HB are stupid easy to hit and get airborne if you're looking for a tweener/crossover club. Full disclosure: I won the Clevelands and didn't have to pay for them (but they are damn sweet) , but did buy the Cobra and it has been well worth it. 

• Like 3

I'm considering replacing the 4 iron with a 4 hybrid after reading the data on the sight and realizing the 4i has been relegated to a punch from trouble.

I am hoping someone might have personal experience with the clubs I am considering.

Callaway

XR OS 2up 1over

BB 454 driver -1

Razor fit 3w

yup. Original owner

I currently use the Adams Red 18*. I still carry a 4i as well as the hybrid replaced my 5W. I may drop the 4i for another wedge. I enjoy the Adams Red. It's not the most used club in my bag, but does come in handy.

• Like 1

this thread brings out an interesting question. Why is the 4I so hard to hit? Even I struggle with it,yet I can 99% of the time execute my 5i without any issues. But I switch to the 4 and that's a whole new ball game. it's like it's a completely different club?

Excellent question. Sometimes I feel that it's all in my brain about not being able to hit the 4i as well as the 5i or my hybrid. My personal preference is to just use the hybrid.

My guess is that I make it a self-fulfilling prophecy that I can't hit my 4i and have that thought in my head when I go to try and play it.

Interesting  - until I came on this thread I thought my inability to hit a 4i was just me. 

• Like 1

This is interesting. My 4 iron is my go to club. I can hit it high, low, draw, fade. Heck, I might hit it better than my 9 iron. I can't hit hybrids at all. I carry no hybrids. I go 3W 2 iron and then 4 iron. Hybrids are hook machines for me. I have always heard great things about the Cobras with the Baffler rails.

• Like 1

It's the loft of the clubhead and the length of the shaft.  Don't worry, if you put in a 3 iron, that would be your hardest iron to hit, and the 2 iron if that was your highest lofted club.

They used to joke about the 1 iron being impossible to hit, so it's just the trend.  Pretty soon, all of our irons will be hybrids and we'll be left with wedges, because the 9 iron will be the highest lofted iron in your bag, and you can't hit that either.   :D

• Like 1

I think you'll find that if you have 100 golfers, you'll get 100 different club selections for their bags. I'll just give you what I currently have in my bag, and what seems to work for me at the moment. Keep in mind that I'm prone to get angry at clubs that don't behave, and sometimes I don't even need an excuse to switch to something else, if the mood strikes, especially when it comes to long irons, et al.

I carry at PING G400 3 hybrid (19 degrees) and a PING G400 4 crossover (22 degrees). I then start my irons with 5 through wedges. I was struggling with the 4 iron conundrum, which seems to be a popular conundrum amongst the MGS crowd here, and I was flirting with getting the 4 hybrid, when I started looking into the 4 crossover that PING offers.

How is the crossover different from a regular 4 iron, or the hybrid? I'm so glad you asked. The crossover has a bigger head, but looks just like an iron, but it also has a graphite shaft that you'll find in hybrids and fairway woods. So I guess for me it was a compromise between getting the hybrid or continuing to play a 4 iron, which is hard to be consistent with.

My results with the crossover are varied, but I would consider it better than an iron, but not as easy to hit as a hybrid. I've also noticed that the crossover, when I hit it solid, go just as far, if not further than the 3 hybrid, so distance control is kind of iffy with this club.

Anyway, that's what I have, and am currently playing.

Thanks. I had never seen a crossover club before. I will add that to the list.

Callaway

XR OS 2up 1over

BB 454 driver -1

Razor fit 3w

yup. Original owner

• Like 1

I currently use the Adams Red 22*. I still carry a 4i as well as the hybrid replaced my 5W. I may drop the 4i for another wedge. I enjoy the Adams Red. It's not the most used club in my bag, but does come in handy.

Thanks

Callaway

XR OS 2up 1over

BB 454 driver -1

Razor fit 3w

yup. Original owner

Right now my 4i is way more reliable than my 4h. But as some folks have mentioned in this thread maybe I need to try a few different hybrids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you're checking out hybrids, be sure to give Cobra a go. I have the F7 in 3/4 ( which you can get pretty cheap these days) and the rails are sweet and helpful. As for still carrying a 4i, my current Cleveland Launcher irons have very low lofted irons with the 4i at 20 and 5i at 23 ( both soon to be bent 1 degree weak) , and i've been very surprised how good the flight is on them. the Cleveland Launcher HB are stupid easy to hit and get airborne if you're looking for a tweener/crossover club. Full disclosure: I won the Clevelands and didn't have to pay for them (but they are damn sweet) , but did buy the Cobra and it has been well worth it.

+1 on the cobras as well. When I broke my tee 3h, I had a cobra amp cell. So I put it in play. It's very solid. The ball jumps off the face. If you look around you can find them reallly inexpensive as well.

Callaway

XR OS 2up 1over

BB 454 driver -1

Razor fit 3w

yup. Original owner

I have a Titelist 716 TMB 4 iron that I love! Way easier to hit than other 4 irons I have tried, but has more of the versatility of an iron compared to other crossover clubs in my opinion. I have a 3 hybrid at 20 degrees and then play the 4 iron at 23 degrees (my set 5 iron is 26 degrees).