Saying goodbye to the 4 iron...maybe

Our Sponsors

I recommend you hybrid as an option. I don't always carry mine. I usually review the course layout then make a decision from there what will go in the bag for that specific round.

I own two hybrids; 21 degree Taylormade Burner and a Cobra F7. That TM is the truth. It looks a hot mess from years of bad lies and abuse but it flat performs. I'd chase EBay for one! The Cobra is acceptable but not exceptional.

IMG_0808.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I noticed something cool.

With modern hybrids and modern stronger iron lofts, we have something different from the old days.

If one has a driver, a single fairway wood, and a couple of hybrids at the top of one's set,

a not at all uncommon setup these days,

then the 5-9 irons actually become the fifth through ninth clubs in the set!

Four wedges (who'd have predicted that fifty years ago?)  and a putter bring you home. 

• Like 1

As noted above, it's a personal decision, and it may vary based on your clubhead speed to some extent. I am more comfortable with long irons than hybrids, but I'm the exception among my peers. I have a new set of 4i thru GW, but I still carry my old W/S 2i and a CLK hybrid (both 19 deg) and force myself to use the hybrid. I am comfortable using my 4i and my 2i.

Just out of curiosity, what does the 2 hybrid do that the 2 iron can't? Why not carry an extra wedge?

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Like I said, I am still comfortable with long irons and force myself to carry and use a 3 hybrid assuming I'll warm up to it like most players, but the jury is still out on the hybrid. Off a good lie, it's a toss up. To punch out, the 2i. I suppose the hybrid is better off poorer lies due to the wide sole.

And I don't want or need another wedge at the top, or I would make room.

You hit the nail on the head. The hybrid is much better of bad lies. I am much like you in that I prefer hitting irons. Sadly age has not been kind and hitting a 2 or 3 is not an option if I want to stop the ball on or even close to the green. My contact is good but swing speed just won't get the ball in the air. The hybrid flies high and lands reasonably soft for me.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

i recently purchased a king cobra oversized 3/4 hybrid and took it out for a test today..  and after the first 5 shots I now have a new favorite club.  175 yards and straight. 

it also has adjustable lofts , right now i am at a 20.5 degrees.  

• Like 2

DRIVER -  Sim Max 10.5 lowered to 9.75 Ventus Red 5 S  shaft 

Woods -  Taylormade Sim Ti 3wood - Diamana reg 65

Taylormade  5 wood-  Ventus 6r 

Rescue/Hybrid -  

IRONS -  Callaway Mavrik 6- PW, AW   KBS 80 R steel 

WEDGES-  Vokey SM 8   50/54/58 

PUTTER-  Odyssey Stroke Lab Bird of Prey. 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

I petsonally love the 2h Adams Red. Even though im getting a new set with a 4i, Im considering finding a 4h to compliment my 2 and 3h. I hit them pretty darn well.

DRIVER: Titleist 905R S 10.5

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha XS

Irons- Titleist 716 AP1 S 1/2 over 2 degrees upright

Vokey SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

My 4h has been retired. I played with the 4i today and it got me by. Eventually I'll try to find a 4h that I can actually hit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen1 0811X 12° driver w/Project X Evenflow Blue 55g shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

:srixon-small: Z355 22° 7 wood w/Miyazaki Jinsoku shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 19° 3 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

:tour-edge: HL E521 25° 5 hybrid w/Fubuki HD55 shaft
:tour-edge: HL4 6 Ironwood w/UST for TE graphite shafts
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 Tour+ irons 7-PW w/UST Competition Series graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge w/Rotex shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:cleveland-small:  Huntington Beach Soft Premier 10.5

Thanks everyone for the input. We have a good second hand shop 8n town. I think I will see if they have any TM's or cobra's before my next outing. In the middle of moving so there's that little wrinkle

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Heavy 10.5 closed face setting

Callaway Razor Fit 3 wood

Nickent 3 Hybrid

XR-OS 4i - 9i factory steel stiff 2 up +1

Ben Hogan 44,48,52,56

Nickent PP-01

Maxfli Tour Center of Gravity model

I play the r i c k e t b a l d e z 4 iron. Love it. I am considering 4H. Getting close to age 60 and would like to hit the golfball a little higher with my long Irons. Good post . Thx for sharing .

Kenny

• Like 1

The Adams Red was considered to be a more iron-like hybrid, and many found it similar to the new Hogan hybrids. A good option if you hook hybrids.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter