Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Restoring a club - sanding the back of club

Hello all,

I know there are a lot of threads on putter restoration. I have a specific question regarding the sanding process. I have done quite well IMO sanding the top line, face, and sole of the club. So far I've keep the weight to 1g short of shipping weight. My specific question is how you sand the back of the putter to get nice and smooth?

“Sometimes the biggest problem is in your head. You've Got to believe.”

Jack Nicklaus

I am by no means an expert on the subject so take this with a grain of salt.

I would use a Micro Dremel Drill and get the finest grit(1200) cylindrical sanding head, use the lowest speed and slowly smooth that area.

What you have done looks great.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

You do it yourselfers are scary.

I thought the only way to restore clubs was to send them to The Iron Factory.

Don't do it now, though. Norton Anti Virus is red-flagging their website for some reason.

Does the Maltby GolfWorks still do it?

They don't advertise restoration and repairs anymore, but they used to do a pretty good job..

I am not an expert by any means but i always did mine by hand and progressed through the grits up to about 2000. Always avoided Dremel tools since they can take away material too fast.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

GB13 - thank you for that. That's was I was thinking. I have done 80 150 220 and 400 I believe so far. Waiting for 1000 grit and 2000 grit to come in wet sand. I'm going to look for a few dremel sanding cones and try the same process. Thanks for the tip.

NiftyNiblick- DIY is half the fun. I have sanded this old beat up terrible putter into near new on the top line, face, and sole. I will then customize it. Why would I want to pay someone else to do it? As I said with all the sanding I've only shaved off 1 gram in weight

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I'm impressed, K.

But my man cave has a TV/stereo area and an office/library area.

No workshop area.

I should have made a bigger effort to learn when I was younger, I agree, but it was too easy to say, "Put another set of Tour Wraps on these,  please." 

I've had good luck with Dremel abrasive buffs. They will remove finish but not metal. The down side is they disintegrate pretty much instantly. They have a few different grits but make sure you buy multiples of each, they get used up really fast.

https://www.dremel.com/en_US/products/-/show-product/accessories/512e-ez-lock-finishing-abrasive-buffs-320-grit-2-pack

080596025861.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

i've been lucky to have access to a high speed polisher at my work clinic, but i've also used the sanding sponges, starting with rougher grit in the 100-200 grit range, then 400-800. it's time consuming though

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

• 2 years later...

These get scratched easily... what is the best sander I can buy to do this myself? Would buying a sander even make sense or should I do this without one. I looked at some reviews about sanders online and when I looked at the prices I got surprised. You can get one for 35 bucks on Amazon. Even if I don't use it that much that is a really good price and I think I will get one. I looked a lot for videos on doing the work with sanders and when they finish it looks really nice. It seems that it is much easier to do the sanding with one.

Edited by ThomasArnold

4 hours ago, ThomasArnold said:

These get scratched easily... what is the best sander I can buy to do this myself?

So, keep in mind that a lower number sand grit will leave lots of scratches and remove lots of material - we don't want that with a finely balanced putter. The idea is that you work progressively through various grits to get the polished look you want to achieve. For instance, when sanding/honing a knife blade, you don't start with 80 grit as that would mean a LOT of work for you to get it back to a mirror polish (~5000+ grit) stepping down from 80-120-150-200/220-300-400-600-800-1000-1200-etc... all way way to 5000 or more. You start with the highest grit you can get away with to save time and effort while achieving the results you're after.

My advice would be to start with about 200-300 grit by hand since it will remove FAR less material and keep the weight of the putter as close to original as possible. If you are still seeing scratches, pitting, chips, dings, etc... then go down in grit to 150/180 and try again. If it looks nice with 200, then go up in grit to 300, then 400 and on up till you get it where you want it with look, polish, etc...

As for tools to get into tight spaces, for this purpose I would stay away from machine sanding/polishing unless you know what you're doing. The risk of taking away too much material or causing the shape/balance to get out of alignment is just too great. Instead, try some Sanding Sticks like these. Don't worry about the fact they are for "wood" since your not trying to shape the metal, just clean it up a bit and make it shine again!   

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2