Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Peaksy68's Kirkland (very) mini review

Peaksy68

Thanks to a very generous offer from downlowkey (and Shankster) I have been able to put the Kirkland Signature into play. They are unavailable in Australia, and downlowkey sent me a sleeve, which as I've already mentioned, was incredibly generous.

Enough background, now to the ball.

I've been playing Srixon Z Stars for years, through several generations. I normally start each competition round with a new ball, but forgot to stock up my bag prior to my round. As a result I picked the best of the used Z Stars in my bag.

Although not directly ball related, I struggled through 13 holes, 12 over and not enjoying myself. I decided the time was right to try out the K-sig, things couldn't get much worse.

Blocked my first drive with it into a fairway bunker on a 530 yard par 5. Caution to the wind, I played a 3 wood (first time ever from the sand) and flushed it 230 yards. A 70 yard pitch awaited. Solid contact and the ball flew about pin high, and stopped a few feet after landing. After excessive spin frustrating me a couple of times earlier in the round I was pleased to see the ball pretty much drop and stop.

Off the putter, the K-sig appears to be a little slower off the face than the Z Star, the first 3 holes with it, I thought I had good speed, only to see them not roll out as much as expected. The last 2 holes I hit a little firmer, and both were good, one that broke 10 yards down and across a steep tier, and a 15 foot one putt on the last.

Well struck irons stopped well, even one from deep rough.

I played the last 5 holes in even par, 4 greens in regulation, one on the fringe.

Distance was very similar to the Z Star, and spin with irons was just right. Once I adjusted to the feel off the putter, I was pretty happy with it on the greens.

First impressions are very positive on the Kirkland Signature.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

We could not get that ball up here when it was all the rage. A friend of mine on WRX from Florida sent me a sleeve. I was impressed with the ball. I was actually getting a little more distance off the tee with the ball. Loved the feel and control off the irons and wedges too. In fact if you go back to the Kirkland threads on here you will find that I actually questioned the legality of the ball even though it is on the conforming list. Every now and then I will find one and play it. My original sleeve I played one of those balls for 45 holes darn near wore the logo off. Glad lowkey and ole shankster pulled that off for you. Those guys are just one example of why MGS is so great---- The people!!

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Durability is certainly impressive. Not a mark on the ball after flying it into the fairway bunker, and the 3 wood out.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I was out of town yesterday playing a nice course in a small neighboring community.

I played a Ksig yesterday for 6 holes on the back. I like the Ksig although to me it's slightly firm off the putter but longer than the MG I think. But I like the Ksig.

I started by round with a MG Tour C4 and shot one over on the front. Making the turn I bogied 10 then proceeded to double 11, 12, annnnd 13!! - rinsing the MG back on the par 3 12th. UGH. 7 over in 4 freaking holes man!!!

Played a Ksig on the remaining 6 holes shooting even over the final 5 holes. Of course none of this had to do with a Ksig. I'm guessing something happened to my equipment for 4 holes. That's all I can figure. LOL

On a high note and in spite of my train-wreck I salvaged the round carding a 78.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I was out of town yesterday playing a nice course in a small neighboring community.

I played a Ksig yesterday for 6 holes on the back. I like the Ksig although to me it's slightly firm off the putter but longer than the MG I think. But I like the Ksig.

I started by round with a MG Tour C4 and shot one over on the front. Making the turn I bogied 10 then proceeded to double 11, 12, annnnd 13!! - rinsing the MG back on the par 3 12th. UGH. 7 over in 4 freaking holes man!!!

Played a Ksig on the remaining 6 holes shooting even over the final 5 holes. Of course none of this had to do with a Ksig. I'm guessing something happened to my equipment for 4 holes. That's all I can figure. LOL

On a high note and in spite of my train-wreck I salvaged the round carding a 78.

I think you and I have discussed this before--- That MG C-4 is one heck of a ball--- Believe it or not I have been buying them used Grade AAAA from a source here along with Vice and Snell balls for $4 per dozen. Seems mainstream tourist golfers will not buy any thing AAAA unless it is a Pro V , TM or Cally.

If I went back to playing big money matches or comp I would not hesitate to put any of the 3 balls or even the Kirkland in play of course new ones in that case

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived