People working at a golf course who shouldn’t be working there

Gg Owen

Well this thread really took new directions. Maybe Rob can help enlighten us on how they compensate their employees at his course. And also curious on where all these funds go that courses generate

my buddy already had a bachelors in business.That was how he was originally hired.And was a requirement in the job posting.In this business, a college degree from a 4 year institution.Along with apprentice school is almost an necessity.That is a little overkill for how little these folks get paid for long hours and no benefits.Besides free golf, big whoop there.Really feel bad for these folks

The vast majority of people who go into this profession do so knowing full well what the pay and hours are. I have a friend who played the mini-tours and then became a club pro for a number of years. He loved the job, meeting people, being around golf, etc. He left because he wanted to raise a family and knew he couldn't do so on that salary & schedule. He had no regrets and still talks fondly of his time working in golf, and gives lessons occasionally just to keep helping others (and I've been a definite beneficiary of those lessons!).

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Mavrik Max 10.5* R Flex Evenflow RipTide
:cleveland-small: Hy-Wood
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D7 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact

The people that go into the golf industry don't do it for the money. They do it because they enjoy it. They just love the game and want to be around more. It comes down to this question. Would you rather have more money being at a miserable job or would you rather have less money doing something you love?

P.S. It is amazing how these threads evolve.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Question would you go see a “Pro” with the last name Shanks for lessons?

I would but not you because I'd walk out of the lesson playing blades.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

my buddy already had a bachelors in business.That was how he was originally hired.And was a requirement in the job posting.In this business, a college degree from a 4 year institution.Along with apprentice school is almost an necessity.That is a little overkill for how little these folks get paid for long hours and no benefits.Besides free golf, big whoop there.Really feel bad for these folks

I work in this business. And a bachelor's and PGA is hardly ever required. Many may have both. But I've seen plenty of Head Pros without bachelor's that make much more than $40,000 a year.

I've seen many assistants that have a good teaching book make that much. Sure there are still plenty who make minimum wage, which just went up over $11 an hour in our area. No, nobody is going to get rich on that, but most are doing it as a part time job for extra cash and playing privileges. Or retired guys doing it for the same reason.

Those of us at the course who are full time managers feel we are paid fairly and while we work hard, we are hardly slaves.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 6

:titelist-small: TSR2 10.0 HZRDUS Red CB 6.0 

:titelist-small: TSiR2 10.0  Tensei Blue X ink 55g 

:titelist-small: TSR2 16.5 PX Evenflow 5.5 60 g 

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T200 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

I remember back in the mid 80's (golden era of golf).We had a starter that did it all.His job was cleaning the carts; storing and taking out carts in the am and pm;cart maintenance; and he was the first tee starter. This was an extremely busy muni with league play and tee times from 6am until 5:30 pm or later daily.The man was impeccable on his ability getting people off on time.Last I heard he passed away in the late 90's.Just one of those guys that did his job well and gave so much too this great game behind the scenes.This man literally did it all and never ever complained and greeted everyone with a smile and handshake before your round

• Like 2

Keep it in the short stuff

I remember back in the mid 80's (golden era of golf).We had a starter that did it all.His job was cleaning the carts; storing and taking out carts in the am and pm;cart maintenance; and he was the first tee starter. This was an extremely busy muni with league play and tee times from 6am until 5:30 pm or later daily.The man was impeccable on his ability getting people off on time.Last I heard he passed away in the late 90's.Just one of those guys that did his job well and gave so much too this great game behind the scenes.This man literally did it all and never ever complained and greeted everyone with a smile and handshake before your round

On a similar but different note, I read an article in the last week or so, perhaps Golf Digest, about clubhouses.   It mentioned one longtime Clubhouse attendant who had been at the club for well over 30 years, and if he met you once, he always remembered your name and details about you.   In many cases, he took it upon himself to learn about every guests coming that day, and made sure and greeted them by name the minute they walked in the locker room, and showed them where he had everything prepared in their locker for the day complete with name plate and fully stocked.    People like that, have that something special and it's certainly more than a job to them. 

• Like 2

I work in this business. And a bachelor's and PGA is hardly ever required. Many may have both. But I've seen plenty of Head Pros without bachelor's that make much more than $40,000 a year.

I've seen many assistants that have a good teaching book make that much. Sure there are still plenty who make minimum wage, which just went up over $11 an hour in our area. No, nobody is going to get rich on that, but most are doing it as a part time job for extra cash and playing privileges. Or retired guys doing it for the same reason.

Those of us at the course who are full time managers feel we are paid fairly and while we work hard, we are hardly slaves.

Now this young man has the right attitude. He values his chosen profession and takes pride in what he does for a living. I'm guessing if you visited his golf activity that same attitude, values and beliefs are shared by many members of his organization.

I believe education level has very little to do with customer service. I work in the health care industry. This industry requires an above average education level. Believe me people skills doesn't come with that $500,000 education. While there definitely are folks who are innately nice people most of the time quality customer service comes from an organizational culture committed to the customer experience.

If you have a poor experience with say a “starter” or “Marshall” 9 times out of 10 you can follow that trail directly back to an ineffective leader or leaders. People may remember what you say. They could possibly remember what you do. They will always remember how you make them feel.

So if you have an issue with an individual at the Golf Course I recommend you go see the General Manager or Head Pro. If change is going to take place it must start with the leadership and their reinforcement of a healthy organizational culture.

• Like 2

Now this young man has the right attitude. He values his chosen profession and takes pride in what he does for a living. I'm guessing if you visited his golf activity that same attitude, values and beliefs are shared by many members of his organization.

I believe education level has very little to do with customer service. I work in the health care industry. This industry requires an above average education level. Believe me people skills doesn't come with that $500,000 education. While there definitely are folks who are innately nice people most of the time quality customer service comes from an organizational culture committed to the customer experience.

If you have a poor experience with say a “starter” or “Marshall” 9 times out of 10 you can follow that trail directly back to an ineffective leader or leaders. People may remember what you say. They could possibly remember what you do. They will always remember how you make them feel.

So if you have an issue with an individual at the Golf Course I recommend you go see the General Manager or Head Pro. If change is going to take place it must start with the leadership and their reinforcement of a healthy organizational culture.

I appreciate the kind words. But more so. I appreciate you calling me young