Sign in to follow this  
fixyurdivot

LPGA vs. PGA Stats

Back in the day, I used to follow Janie Blalock around the course whenever the girls played nearby. We were roughly the same age, I was much bigger physically, not that she was particularly small, and I'd mentally compare my game with hers as she played.

We drove the ball about the same distance, although she obviously didn't miss as many drives as i did, and I actually hit less club than she with the irons.

And if she gave me my 8 or 9 strokes, she'd still kick my ass inside out because skill aside, she knew how to compete a lot better than I did.

Attending the few PGA Tour events that I did, the experience was completely different. At no time was I ever comparing games. I really had nothing to learn there--because distances weren't comparable, thus strategies couldn't be comparable, spin wasn't comparable, nothing was comparable.  It was pure spectator sports with no thoughts about my own game getting involved.

And I got bored faster.  I liked to walk the course (which I didn't while playing), not pick a spot from which to watch, and the galleries walking with the people I'd want to watch were so big that I couldn't see much.. 

It's the same game and not the same game at the same time.  The LPGA competitors obviously couldn't beat the men head to head, but I got more out of watching them.

• Like 1

Correct, The LPGA is playing shorter courses even if not played from the tips.

Absolutely they do but I think that a lot of people don't realize how much yardage gets lopped off a Tour course on a given day. That doesn't necessarily make it easier either - it creates different looks and options on certain holes.

Also it stands to reason that lpga players will be more accurate if your standard for accuracy remains fairways hit. First you are going to hit more fairways if you are 30 yards shorter and have the same level of accuracy and second it's not that important a stat to most PGA players. They are much more concerned about strokes gained driving or eliminating a certain type of miss than they are with hitting fairways.

It's easy enough to look online to make comparisons - but I'm not quite sure what the point would be.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I often play with LPGA players and can clearly say that they they are a lot better than most guys think.  They play from the back tees and hit it as far as the low cappers.  I like watching the LPGA more than the Web.com or some PGA tournaments.

• Like 1

I often play with LPGA players and can clearly say that they they are a lot better than most guys think.  They play from the back tees and hit it as far as the low cappers.  I like watching the LPGA more than the Web.com or some PGA tournaments.

• Like 1

That sounds both fun and intimidating at the same time.  Are these rounds during ProAm events?

Professional women and men are both incredibly talented. Because of their innate biological and physiological difference I don't think it's fair to either gender to make a comparison.

As far as course set up is concerned I would argue courses vary significantly from one to the other on both tours so to say the set up at a PGA event is always more difficult than one at a LPGA event is also not fair.

I played a PGA event course the Monday after the Sunday final. It was crazy difficult. Incidentally I played a LPGA event course the Monday after the Sunday final and it to was crazy difficult.

I have also worked a PGA event on course walking with the best in the world. What they do with a golf ball is significantly different than us mere mortals. Oh wait......I've made that same walk with some of the best female golfers in the world. While there are few times their shots took my breath away in terms of height and distance, their accuracy is off the chain.

I have great respect for anyone who can make it to the top of their given profession. You want to know an interesting stat. Number 100 on the LPGA tour has been on tour for 6 years and has made about $550,000. Number 100 on the PGA tour has also been on tour for 6 years and has made almost $4,000,000. That's prize money only.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2