hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Ping G700 Irons

Great Stuff MPR...I'm very envious of Kirkies driver move, and what a great putt.

And i bet Christopher follows suit very quickly, I think you are going to have many wonderful years of golf with the three of you.

@Peasky...That's hilarious, I love the shovel comparison.  I'm so envious of where you live and get to play, it'd be awesome to make that trip one day, but I'm afraid I have more bucket list golf trips piling up than I do money or time :(

Looking forward to seeing how these work for both you guys. 

• Like 6

Does the added size inspire confidence? Or does it just feel bloated and difficult to work with?

Confidence has a number of factors. Going into this test, my expectation was that these irons would be forgiving rocket launchers, and so that in itself inspires confidence. And as I said in my review, the largeness of these irons is (at least for me) less obvious at address, and when they're not being set side-by-side with another smaller iron.

While I occasionally have to hit a shot that carves around an obstacle, I'm not one whose regularly trying to draw or fade shots into tucked pins—that just isn't where my game is.

So on the whole, I haven't found the size to be a problem. They're not ugly big; they're pretty big.

• Like 5

Love the Stage 1's so far, and also love seeing Dads spending quality time out on the course with the kids!

Both reviewers so far are moving to larger, thicker soled heads with the G700s, so I'm most curious about how the Pings differ from your gamers. Are you noticing the heads & offset, do they move through the turf differently than your gamers? Is that good or bad for you (at first)?

My early impression is this: for some reason, I'm just not taking much by way of divots with these. Not sure if I'm making an adjustment in my swing or just if they don't want to dig, but that's been my experience so far.

• Like 4

It'll be interesting to hear how people who are used to playing slim irons get on with these.

I play Srixon Z965s, which are nicely thin having come from Titleist CB/MBs and Mizuno MPs, which are all razor thin, but I'm one of those idiots who likes the idea of matched brands (if possible, but only if the performance works) and I love my new Ping G400 driver so could be tempted into Ping irons, but everything they make is just so chunky to look at...

Would love to hear people's experiences when trying those "fat" clubs after being used to far thinner ones.

You're going to hear all about that in stage 2. I have a few opinions!

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

It'll be interesting to hear how people who are used to playing slim irons get on with these.

I play Srixon Z965s, which are nicely thin having come from Titleist CB/MBs and Mizuno MPs, which are all razor thin, but I'm one of those idiots who likes the idea of matched brands (if possible, but only if the performance works) and I love my new Ping G400 driver so could be tempted into Ping irons, but everything they make is just so chunky to look at...

Would love to hear people's experiences when trying those "fat" clubs after being used to far thinner ones.

There are a couple testers who will go into detail on that I'm sure.

Also FYI, have you seen the new I500 and I210 from PING. They have a very nice topline.  At least in my opinion.   

• Like 3

Also FYI, have you seen the new I500 and I210 from PING. They have a very nice topline. At least in my opinion.

I will be getting into the difference between the Srixon irons and the G700. Review will be up tomorrow morning.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

Stage One — Tester Introduction

For this test, I ordered the N.S. Pro Modus 3 105 shafts in stiff flex. At the range, these really worked well for me, much better than the stock shaft option. The irons are all red dot, which is 1° flat. I went with standard length and grip size, per the PING fitting chart. The initial test at the golf shop went really well, but that's all I'm going to say! 

Well done young man and congrats on your opportunity to play in a Champions Tour event!  Also I'm proud of you for working the First Tee Volunteer Program.   Well done!

• Like 2

I don't know if I am allowed to pipe in here, but I bought the G700 SW and UW, mostly because I was looking to replace my current wedges which I was not happy with.  I am extremely happy with both the look and feel of these clubs, as well as with the performance.  The G700 wedges I have do what I want from a SW & UW, which are my 100 and 115 distance full shot clubs.  In the few months I've been playing the G700 I've noticed an incredible accuracy with these wedges, when I make solid contact.  I've also noticed an incredible amount of forgiveness on misshits too, as they go straight at the hole as well, with a slight bit off left or right.

I've been playing PING for as long as I can remember, and the G700 are fantastic wedges for me.  I will say that the hollow back creates a bit more distance, and also a different sound at impact, but the sound does not detract from the performance of the club.  It's just different but I have the utmost confidence when pulling these clubs for a shot.  They deliver time and time again without fail.  Again, even my mishits fly close to the target, so these clubs really do perform.

• Like 4

Also FYI, have you seen the new I500 and I210 from PING. They have a very nice topline. At least in my opinion.

I have. They're still huge compared to a proper blade and I'm in no rush to change, it's just a little bit of that persistent gear itch...

• Like 1

Great intri GolfJunkie.. fantastic pictures as well.

• Like 2

...For most of my “career,” I've been with a great youth program called The First Tee. I know there are several members on here who are quite familiar with it. I'm a participant but I've also been doing lots of volunteer work the last five years. Through The First Tee, I was actually selected to play in the PURE Insurance Championship this September, which is an official Champions Tour event at Pebble Beach. I am really excited about that...

GJ - Great opening post. And did I miss where you told us you qualified for the PURE? That is quite an accomplishment my friend. A few Richmonders have made it in past years, and they've all said it's the experience of a lifetime. Good luck!

• Like 2

GJ - Great opening post. And did I miss where you told us you qualified for the PURE? That is quite an accomplishment my friend. A few Richmonders have made it in past years, and they've all said it's the experience of a lifetime. Good luck!

Thanks Looper! Yeah, it should be a really great time — I'm super excited. I am planning on doing a little write-up on here afterwards, so stay tuned!

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4

Great starts guys. I think all the testers agree these irons are big!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Great starts guys. I think all the testers agree these irons are big!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big in multiple ways. Long and big in size

• Like 1

The look reminds me of the Ping Crossover ... tho that one has an even wider sole (of course) and I'm guessing is also wider across the face from heel to toe ... if any tester happens to have one, it might be interesting to see them side by side.

• Like 2

Peaksy68:

Great review! What I want to know is if that shovel has a stiff shaft or regular shaft in it and what kind of distances do you get from it ?? 😁😂🤣

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1

Great job all on the stage ones. Nicely done!

MDGolfHacker

• Like 3

Anybody have issues switching over to the pings swing wise ? Changes in ball position, etc? Or was it change and go?!

MDGolfHacker

• Like 2